Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,784 members, 7,802,430 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:17 PM

Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? (1365 Views)

Do You Know Any Cream I Can Use To Restore My Light Skin / Suitable Cream For Light Skin. / Best Cream For Light Skin Men: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? by davidif: 4:30pm On Aug 05, 2008
My fellow Nigerians i want your opinion on this very insightful article.

In a tidy piece of cultural synchronicity, last month saw both the arrival of the latest issue of Italian Vogue, which exclusively features black models, and the debut in earnest of Barack Obama's presidential campaign as the Democratic nominee. Race has been a singularly polarizing, and thus creatively compelling, issue for centuries, but Obama's emergence onto the national and international stage has brought the topic out from the shadows. Sadly, in the modelling industry, attitudes about race aren't nearly as progressive as they appear to be in the political world. Italian Vogue's initiative has prompted some industry dialogue about why black models remain marginalized, but the issue runs across the entire color spectrum, affecting more than just black people. In the fashion circuit of cities like New York, Paris and Milan, or extended to a more international network of major cities like Sao Paulo, Tokyo and Bombay, racism is alive and well. Despite vastly different cultural and geographic contexts, and the unique physical characteristics of each country's citizens, in most places, light is still right.

Article continued here http://www.newsweek.com/id/144549
Re: Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? by lindabong(f): 6:00pm On Aug 05, 2008
Well lets put it this way.  Here in America or not just in America, but all over the world, if you are lighter-skinned then you will be perceived as being more beautiful or more mainstream.  Me being a Nigerian and being just a little bit darker and I don't even think I'm that dark, but anyways it hurts me to think and know that people still think that way and sometimes I think it's true.  The lighter skinned girls nowadays in our mainstream culture well here in America they're always y'know the love interest or the beauty and meanwhile the dark-skinned person whether it be male or female is always almost there for comedic interest and so forth or they're portrayed as the dirty poor black person; this also happens in such countries as in Mexico or for Mexican-Americans, whereas the darker-skinned Mexican is called a "Mujao" or dirty wetback.  Also this occurs in many Middle Eastern countries. For example, there was a certain contestant on famous African-American model, Tyra Banks model search show, "America's Next Top Model", there was a girl of Ski Lankan descent and she felt that she had to wear hazel colored eye contacts so that her eyes would appear to be lighter colored, which in their eyes, think is beautiful.  My point to all of this is that our mainstream perception is that lighter is beautiful and at one time I even considered skin lightening, whereas you apply a cream to lighten your skin, but anyways beauty[i] is[/i] in the eye of the beholder, well at least it is to me.  The thing is people we are all people of color and we will always struggle to make our place in society if we continue to hold each other down with this so called "color spectrum" issue!
Re: Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? by davidif: 6:53pm On Aug 05, 2008
my sister, you are right, its a very complex and touchy subject.
Re: Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? by iice(f): 8:41am On Aug 06, 2008
lindabong:

The thing is people we are all people of color and we will always struggle to make our place in society if we continue to hold each other down with this so called "color spectrum" issue!

True.
Re: Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? by davidif: 2:19pm On Aug 06, 2008
solution is that we need more black models and to promote ourselves in a more positive light.
Re: Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? by naijadiva2(f): 2:31pm On Aug 06, 2008
The lighter skinned girls nowadays in our mainstream culture well here in America they're always y'know the love interest or the beauty and meanwhile the dark-skinned person whether it be male or female is always almost there for comedic interest

that is so true. even in music videos, the lighter skin chick is always somewhat the love interest and the dark skin girl is in the background just dancing.

davidif:

solution is that we need more black models and to promote ourselves in a more positive light.
do u mean role models or super model.
Re: Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? by londoner: 3:43pm On Aug 06, 2008
I think it depends on which way in which  you are looking at it.

If you look at music videos the main love interest may be sometimes be  light (or more precisly Biracial or Hispanic). If you look at the runway, most of the Black models who are promoted as beautiful at the highest level are dark skinned, thats for both men and women.
Hollywood only promotes a handful of Black women of any skintone at a time, even if most of that few are light, again mainly biracial.
However, a dark skinned male is more likely to be portrayed as a love interest than a light skinned one IMO.

If you are talking about Nollywood, most of the women held up as beautiful are dark skinned. the Nigerian music videos also tend to have dark skinned love interests.

White people may well promote a White is better outlook, but they are White. You don't expect them to promote Black/Asian beauty as much as their own do you?

Honestly,  if tomorrow White women are seen as the beauties of Nollywood, you would think that is ok? If the love interests in Nigerian music videos become White women, would that not raise alarm with many here?

People start to complain when a NIGERIAN GIRL who is not dark skinned wins MBGN contest.

How much more would it be  if its a White or Asian woman??

Its us who have the mandate to promote Black beauty in all its shades, its not the Whiteman's responsibility to do so IMO.

I'm not saying discrimination is right, but when it comes to opinions of beauty you really can't force someone say they find Black women attractive if they really don't.
If we were shouting that Black is beautiful just as much as the White man shouts out his own, it wouldn't even be such a problem by now. For me, thats where the issue lies, always taking our lead from Whites, even when its to our detriment.

I'm more concerned at the type of characters Black people play, ie criminals, unintelligent, overly sexual.
Re: Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? by davidif: 6:15pm On Aug 07, 2008
you are right londoner, its not the white man's responsibility to promote black people or black super models after all they are the majority. We should only be promoting our dark skinned models. In ghana, only the light skinned actors get the most attention like the beyonce girl and van vicker, we shouldn't end up like that o.

I also can't understand the reason for bleaching cream, i heard its even common amongst ibo men who want there wives to be light skinned.
Re: Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? by davidif: 9:20pm On Aug 15, 2008
Oluwaseun osewa, this is an important topic for general discussion abeg, this needs to get out.
Re: Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? by masawa: 2:50am On Aug 16, 2008
londoner:

I think it depends on which way in which you are looking at it.

If you look at music videos the main love interest may be sometimes be light (or more precisly Biracial or Hispanic). If you look at the runway, most of the Black models who are promoted as beautiful at the highest level are dark skinned, thats for both men and women.
Hollywood only promotes a handful of Black women of any skintone at a time, even if most of that few are light, again mainly biracial.
However, a dark skinned male is more likely to be portrayed as a love interest than a light skinned one IMO.

If you are talking about Nollywood, most of the women held up as beautiful are dark skinned. the Nigerian music videos also tend to have dark skinned love interests.

White people may well promote a White is better outlook, but they are White. You don't expect them to promote Black/Asian beauty as much as their own do you?

Honestly, if tomorrow White women are seen as the beauties of Nollywood, you would think that is ok? If the love interests in Nigerian music videos become White women, would that not raise alarm with many here?

People start to complain when a NIGERIAN GIRL who is not dark skinned wins MBGN contest.

How much more would it be if its a White or Asian woman??

Its us who have the mandate to promote Black beauty in all its shades, its not the Whiteman's responsibility to do so IMO.

I'm not saying discrimination is right, but when it comes to opinions of beauty you really can't force someone say they find Black women attractive if they really don't.
If we were shouting that Black is beautiful just as much as the White man shouts out his own, it wouldn't even be such a problem by now. For me, thats where the issue lies, always taking our lead from Whites, even when its to our detriment.

I'm more concerned at the type of characters Black people play, ie criminals, unintelligent, overly sexual.

WELL SAID!!DO NOT EXPECT WHITIES TO PROMOTE THE AFRICAN BEAUTY
Re: Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? by Nwaka77: 5:20am On Aug 16, 2008
masawa:

WELL SAID!!DO NOT EXPECT WHITIES TO PROMOTE THE AFRICAN BEAUTY

Exactly! Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not everyone finds porkish pale skin that is constantly changing color from red to blue to pink attractive. Some of us love chocolatey brown skin which does not crack that easily as we get older wink
Re: Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? by davidif: 5:34pm On Aug 16, 2008
@nwaka
Exactly! Besides, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not everyone finds porkish pale skin that is constantly changing color from red to blue to pink attractive. Some of us love chocolatey brown skin which does not crack that easily as we get older

O se o jare. That's a great comment.
Re: Fashion Mavens Still Like Light Skin: Comments? by tpiah11: 12:39pm On Oct 24, 2015
that's nice.

(1) (Reply)

How To Groom Your Eyelashes Perfectly 1 / Asoebi Glam Styles. / The Distress Jean Craze, Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.