Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,128 members, 7,807,411 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:14 PM

The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional (20846 Views)

The Word For Today, 2015 - A Daily Devotional / The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:25am On Aug 25, 2014
Hey @Lateef4me, welcome back. Welcome back by His grace. Amen. @Odunharry hope you are good too. Happy new week.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:27am On Aug 25, 2014
Volunteers, Not Conscripts

Monday, 25 August 2014

'Whatever we do, it is...because Christ's love controls us now.' 2 Corinthians 5:14 TLB

Paul writes, 'Whatever we do, it is certainly not for our own profit, but because Christ's love controls us now.' God is looking for volunteers, not conscripts. Conscripts are motivated by law; volunteers are motivated by love. After the attack on Pearl Harbour, enlistment centres all over America were jammed with boys too young to fight, men who had retired, and even the blind.

One elderly man said to a recruitment officer, 'I'd consider it my greatest privilege to die defending this country.' Why do men and women do this? Duty? Yes, but something even greater - devotion! Their hearts have been captured by a cause. Facing the loss of his freedom, his ministry and possibly his life, Martin Luther told the ecclesiastical powers of his day, 'I will not recant. My conscience is captive to the Word of God!'

No one should ever have to beg and pressure you to teach a Sunday school class, work with young people, give to the cause of Christ, visit the sick, lonely and needy, or serve others. You should be begging for the privilege! Paul said, 'What things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ... for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ.' (Philippians 3:7-8 KJV)

Commitment to Christ is like signing your name on a blank cheque and saying, 'Lord, You fill in the amount.' You're not doing God a favour by serving Him; He's honouring you by allowing you to serve Him. Today, measure what you would do for the Lord - by what you actually do.

SoulFood: 2 Chron 22-24; Luke 17:1-10; Ps 119:121-128; Pro 22:4-7

smiley This is The Word For Today
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:32am On Aug 25, 2014
Wow cheesy, what a beautiful and graceful word for today. Whatever we do is because of Christ's love that controls us and that is why we joyfully and willingly volunteer our service to God not as conscripts but as children who love the Father, not motivated by the law but by the Spirit of God in us and understanding of His Word!

Amen.

It is a priviledge to serve God and all our being is His. Our devotion to God should make us always want to go the extra mile.

Today I was thinking, If Jesus Christ could forgive all our terrible sins and cloth us with glory and honour, how will we not appreciate Him by being devoted to Him and hanging on his every word. You don't get clothed in purple and finest fabric and go and wallow in the mud again.

That is grace!

Good morning folks. wink
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:39am On Aug 26, 2014
You're Protected from Evil (1)

Tuesday, 26 August 2014

'No evil shall befall you.' Psalm 91:10 NKJV

Here's a promise you can stand on in times of trouble: 'Because you have made the Lord...the Most High, your dwelling place, no evil shall befall you, nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; for He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways.' (Psalm 91:9-11 NKJV)

There's a spiritual realm around you that's as real as the physical one you live in. One is the world of darkness; the other is the world of light. One is governed by Satan, the other is governed by God. How else can you account for the brutal, senseless killing of men, women and children at the hands of evil people? Paul explains it like this: 'We are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against persons without bodies - the evil rulers of the unseen world, those mighty satanic beings and great evil princes of darkness who rule this world.' (Ephesians 6:12 TLB)

Does that mean you're supposed to live in fear? No, and here's why:

(1) You are shielded by the blood of Jesus. Just as the angel of death on the night of the Passover couldn't enter a home with blood on its doorposts, the blood of Jesus is a protective shield around you that the devil cannot penetrate.

(2) The odds are on your side. When Satan fell from heaven he took one-third of the angels with him. That means we still have two angels for every one of his! 'Angels [are] ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation.' (Hebrews 1:14 NIV) Rejoice: as a redeemed child of God you are protected from evil!

SoulFood: 2 Chron 25-28; Luke 17:11-19; Ps 119:129-136; Pro 22:8-10

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:54am On Aug 27, 2014
You're Protected from Evil (2)

Wednesday, 27 August 2014

'Hide me in the shadow of Your wings.' Psalm 17:8 NIV

Here are three ways you can open yourself up to the power of evil:

(1) By choice. The author of The Satanic Bible said, 'A successful witch or wizard must first surrender totally to Satan.' You're probably wondering what kind of person would say or do such a thing. But the fact is, God gives each of us a free will capable of surrendering to Christ or to Satan. Paul writes, 'Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one's slaves... so...present your [bodies] as slaves of righteousness.' (Romans 6:16-19 NKJV)

(2) By unrestrained indulgence. When any natural desire is indulged to excess, it can become an addiction and a force of destruction. Now, let's be clear here: addiction doesn't equate to someone being demon-possessed. Many Christians battle stubborn habits, and Christ has promised to set them free (John 8:32). When you were saved, Christ moved in and Satan moved out, because Christ won't live in a building with the devil.

(3) By dabbling in the occult. God told Israel that those who put their trust in mediums were to be cut off from the community (Leviticus 20:6). Ever wonder why spiritual mediums can't pick the right lottery number, win a fortune and feed the starving masses? Because they're fake, that's why! Speaking of Satan, Jesus said, 'There is no truth in him...he is a liar and the father of [lies].' (John 8:44 NKJV) Don't mess with the powers of darkness through horoscopes or anything else. The only true guidance that comes from a star, comes from Jesus, 'the Bright and Morning Star.' (Revelation 22:16 NKJV)

SoulFood: 2 Chron 29-31; Luke 17:20-37; Ps 119:137-144; Pro 22:11-13

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 7:06am On Aug 27, 2014
Good morning alwaystrue and lateef4me and all our viewers..

2 Likes

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 3:20pm On Aug 28, 2014
You're Protected from Evil (3)

Thursday, 28 August 2014

'I give...you power...over...the enemy.' Luke 10:19 KJV

Have you dabbled in the occult and now you're wondering what to do? Repent and renounce it. 'If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us...and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.' (1 John 1:9 NKJV) Note the words 'all unrighteousness'. It doesn't matter what you've done; there are no big sins and no little sins. God forgives them all! Learn from your past, leave it, and don't look back.

'No one who has become part of God's family makes a practice of sinning, for Christ... holds him securely and the devil cannot get his hands on him.' (1 John 5:18 TLB) Is Satan powerful? Yes, but Jesus is all-powerful! He said, 'All power in Heaven and on earth is given unto Me,' then He delegated that power to you. 'Behold, I give you the authority...over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you.' (Luke 10:19 NKJV)

God has given you three powerful weapons of protection:
(1) The sword. 'Take...the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.' (Ephesians 6:17 NKJV) Satan has the advantage when you don't know what God says, but he flees when you stand on the Scriptures.

(2) The shield. 'Taking the shield of faith...you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.' (Ephesians 6:16 NKJV) Your faith is a protective shield against the arrows of doubt and fear Satan directs at you.

(3) The Spirit. 'You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you.' (Acts 1:8 NKJV) Positioned 'in Christ' and filled with the Holy Spirit, you're more than a match for the forces of evil that surround you.

SoulFood: 2 Chron 32-34; Luke 18:1-17; Ps 119:145-160; Pro 22:14-16

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 10:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
Thanks alwaystrue 4 d update...How is ur family?i believe u r fyn
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:06am On Aug 29, 2014
Thanks @Odunharry. My family are all fine. Hope you are through with exams now.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:07am On Aug 29, 2014
'The Sunny Side of the Street'

Friday, 29 August 2014

'Give me life through Your Word.' Psalm 119:37 NLT

Jane Johnson Struck set out on a frigid winter evening to deliver dinner to the family of a friend who had died. Snarled in traffic and juggling an already overloaded schedule, she was feeling sorry for herself - and irritated when she arrived and found nobody home. Using her mobile phone to let them know she'd been there, she was dumbfounded when the answering machine kicked in and a familiar voice started singing: 'Grab your coat, collect your hat, Leave your worries on the doorstep; Life can be so sweet on the sunny side of the street.' It was her friend Annie, the one who died after a prolonged battle with breast cancer, leaving three kids and a grieving husband.

Struck writes: 'People who'd been touched by Annie's larger-than-life personality, perseverance, and testimony in the face of gruelling and unfair circumstances, hadn't expected to hear her voice on the machine. Her indomitable spirit amazed me... she'd talked openly about her prognosis, yet never hesitated to give God glory for the grace and peace she experienced. She knew that life with Jesus, come what may, was a walk on the sunny side of the street.'

The Psalmist prayed, 'Give me life through Your Word.' Struck continues: 'As I listened to Annie's voice on the machine... even in death God used her life to challenge me. I drove home pondering how He illuminates the darkest journey... how pity parties keep me from savouring life's sweetness... then asking forgiveness for my selfish attitudes. It was a powerful reminder that one day life will be complete on the sunny side of the street... in Heaven, where there's no darkness, disease or death.'

SoulFood: 2 Chron 35-36; 2 John; Luke 18:18-30; Ps 119:161-168; Pro 22:17-19

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 6:12am On Aug 29, 2014
Alwaystrue: Thanks @Odunharry. My family are all fine. Hope you are through with exams now.
exam postponed till 8th of next month....Need ur prayers

got a test to write today then exam abt 2wks from now
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 6:14am On Aug 29, 2014
Alwaystrue i just shared ur message so my followers can read too..

I think it will be nice sharing every message we post here
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 6:17am On Aug 29, 2014
Alwaystrue: 'The Sunny Side of the Street'

Friday, 29 August 2014

'Give me life through Your Word.' Psalm 119:37 NLT

Jane Johnson Struck set out on a frigid winter evening to deliver dinner to the family of a friend who had died. Snarled in traffic and juggling an already overloaded schedule, she was feeling sorry for herself - and irritated when she arrived and found nobody home. Using her mobile phone to let them know she'd been there, she was dumbfounded when the answering machine kicked in and a familiar voice started singing: 'Grab your coat, collect your hat, Leave your worries on the doorstep; Life can be so sweet on the sunny side of the street.' It was her friend Annie, the one who died after a prolonged battle with breast cancer, leaving three kids and a grieving husband.

Struck writes: 'People who'd been touched by Annie's larger-than-life personality, perseverance, and testimony in the face of gruelling and unfair circumstances, hadn't expected to hear her voice on the machine. Her indomitable spirit amazed me... she'd talked openly about her prognosis, yet never hesitated to give God glory for the grace and peace she experienced. She knew that life with Jesus, come what may, was a walk on the sunny side of the street.'

The Psalmist prayed, 'Give me life through Your Word.' Struck continues: 'As I listened to Annie's voice on the machine... even in death God used her life to challenge me. I drove home pondering how He illuminates the darkest journey... how pity parties keep me from savouring life's sweetness... then asking forgiveness for my selfish attitudes. It was a powerful reminder that one day life will be complete on the sunny side of the street... in Heaven, where there's no darkness, disease or death.'

SoulFood: 2 Chron 35-36; 2 John; Luke 18:18-30; Ps 119:161-168; Pro 22:17-19

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 6:18am On Aug 29, 2014
Alwaystrue u can share today's msg too...i just Quoted u

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:26am On Aug 29, 2014
@Odunharry,
I wish you divine success and retentive memory as you read. I pray for wisdom as you read, knowledge gained based on your studies and inspirations and understanding of how to download it at the exams. May you receive direction to know where what questions will be examined so you can prepare better. Amen.

Thanks I have shared your post.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 9:07am On Aug 31, 2014
Alwaystrue: @Odunharry,
I wish you divine success and retentive memory as you read. I pray for wisdom as you read, knowledge gained based on your studies and inspirations and understanding of how to download it at the exams. May you receive direction to know where what questions will be examined so you can prepare better. Amen.
Thanks I have shared your post.
Amen,thanks ma.....God bless u
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 9:14am On Aug 31, 2014
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY
30TH AUGUST,2014

Too big for your boots

When you were little in your own
eyes.’ 1 Samuel 15:17

When King Saul disobeyed God, the
prophet Samuel told him, ‘When you
were little in your own eyes…did not
the Lord anoint you King over Israel?…
Why then did you not obey the voice of the Lord?’ (vv. 17-19 NKJV).

There’s a sobering lesson here. The most dangerous moment in your life is when you think you can succeed
without God.

When you get a few wins under your belt, it’s easy to forget
Who’s responsible for your success. Where once you would have
consulted God, you now launch out
on your own and ask Him to add His
blessing to your decisions. You say,
‘But things are going pretty well for
me these days.’ Then remember Who made your success possible, and live with gratitude and dependence on God!

Looking back on how God blessed Israel, the Psalmist records,
‘Then they believed His words; they
sang His praise. [But] they soon forgot His works; they did not wait for His counsel’ (Psalms 106:12-13 NKJV).
Our capacity for forgetfulness is
staggering. The old-timers used to tie a string around their finger to remind them of something they might easily forget. Maybe you need to wear a string on your finger to remind you that God is the secret, the source of all your blessings.

Frustrated by how long he had to wait in line to renew his driver’s licence, the CEO of a big plumbing company asked his wife,
‘Don’t they know who I am?’ She
responded, ‘Yes, you’re a plumber’s
son who got lucky.’

The word for today is: stay humble, and don’t get too big for your boots!

1 Sam 16:1-23, 2 Cor 4:7 - 5:1
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 9:15am On Aug 31, 2014
Happy sunday to you all

humility and dependence of God pays
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:12am On Sep 01, 2014
The Time Is Near

Monday, 01 September 2014

'Know that it is near-at the doors!' Matthew 24:33 NKJV

Almost three thousand years ago, God said through the prophet Amos that just before the coming of the Lord, the Jews would return from the four corners of the earth and rebuild the nation of Israel. 'I will bring back my exiled people Israel; they will rebuild the ruined cities and live in them. They will plant vineyards and drink their wine; they will make gardens and eat their fruit. I will plant Israel in their own land, never again to be uprooted from the land I have given them, says the Lord your God.' (Amos 9:14-15 NIV)

In 1948 the nation of Israel was born. In 1949 they elected their first president, hoisted their own flag, instituted their own constitution and started minting their own money. It's an amazing fulfilment of prophecy. Now read what Jesus said: 'Learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near - at the doors!' (Matthew 24:32-33 NKJV)

In Scripture the fig tree represents the nation of Israel. Surrounded and threatened by hostile neighbours, she stands today as a testimony to the accuracy and reliability of God's prophetic Word. And the same Christ who announced the rebirth of Israel made an even greater promise to those of us living in the end of the age. 'Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown.' (Revelation 3:11 NKJV) Are you ready? Are you living your life in the light of His soon return?

SoulFood: Josh 1-4; Luke 19:1-10; Ps 84; Pro 22:24-26

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 6:47am On Sep 01, 2014
Thanks Alwaystrue for d msg.....

Happy new month to u and have a nice week.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 5:21pm On Sep 02, 2014
Tuesday September 2,2014

Who have you won to Christ

‘Go into all the world and preach the
gospel to every creature.’
Mark 16:15.

One day a pastor told the manager of a big department store, ‘I’ve talked about carpets and bedding and appliances with you many times, but I’ve never talked about my business.
Will you give me a few minutes?’ After being led to a private office, the pastor took out his New Testament and urged the manager to become a
Christian.

Finally, tears began to roll down the man’s cheeks and he said, ‘I’m seventy years old. I was born in this city, and more than a hundred
ministers and five hundred officers of various churches have known me in a business capacity. But you’re the only man who has ever talked to me about my soul.’

That day he knelt down and gave his life to Christ. We’ve got the
cart before the horse! We keep
thinking if we can just bring visitors to church they’ll get saved.

And thank God that happens. But when those in the New Testament church met together to celebrate, usually they’d already been won to Christ by someone before they got there!
Christ’s last act was winning a soul. His last command was for us to win souls.
And His last prayer on the cross was for the forgiveness of a soul. You don’t have to be theologically articulate; you just have to be in love with Jesus.
When you’re in love, it shows on your face and expresses itself in your words.

Jesus said, ‘I, if I be lifted up… will draw all men unto me’ (John
12:32 KJV). Don’t worry about
drawing people to Christ; just
introduce Him and He will do the
drawing.

2 Chron 8-11, Luke 19:41-48, Ps 111, Pr 19:18-20

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 5:23pm On Sep 02, 2014
i love this part, "you just have to be in love with Jesus"
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 1:40pm On Sep 03, 2014
Hello my people .....thanks for keep the thread alive !
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 1:45pm On Sep 03, 2014
The Word For Today

Wednesday September 3, 2014
"BECOME A MOTIVATOR!"
‘Encourage [motivate] one another.’ Hebrews 3:13 CEV

Leslie was born with physical and mental challenges so severe that doctors had to remove his eyes. When he was six months old, a nurse named May Lemke, who was raising five children of her own, adopted him and asked God to give him some kind of talent. When Leslie was thirteen, May bought a used piano and played some simple songs, hoping he’d respond. No expression…nothing. She continued trying to motivate her adopted son to engage in life. Then when he was sixteen, he pulled himself up to the piano, and without ever having touched a keyboard before, played a Tchaikovsky piano concerto. It was flawless, and May soon discovered that Leslie could play anything he heard. Then out of the blue one day, he started singing, and that led to his playing and singing at concerts all over the country. All this came about because a mother facing incredible odds became a tireless motivator! In the movie ‘Seabiscuit’ one of the main characters, Tom Smith, was asked why he kept a lame, ageing horse. He replied, ‘You don’t throw away a whole life just because he’s banged up a little!’ That old horse ended up leading a younger horse to a spectacular racing career. Thank God for motivators who make the difference between a trip to the glue factory and winning a blue ribbon! Paul says, ‘Encourage [motivate] one another.’ Somebody said, ‘Dreams always come a size too big so we can grow into them’. Motivators help you to dream big, then help you grow in order to fulfil your dream. People can run a long way on just a little encouragement. So become a motivator.

Josh 8: 30 - 10:43, Lk. 19: 28-40, Ps 103: 13-22, Prov 23: 1-3.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 7:28am On Sep 07, 2014
[b]THE WORD FOR TODAY
Are u growing spiritually?(3)

Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and
he shall sustain thee.’ Psalms 55:22

FIRST, you must learn how to carry your own burden. SECOND, you must be able to help those who are weak to carry theirs. THIRD, you must learn to give your burden to the Lord. ‘Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee.’ Sounds easy, but it’s not, because:
1) If you’re self-centred you will think only about your own
personal wants, needs, and plans.

2) If you’re a self-starter and self-motivator you will struggle with the humility required to get down on your knees and say, ‘Lord, I need you; before I make a move I need to know You are with me’.

3) If you’re self-sufficient
you will wait until your knees are
buckling and your back is breaking, then send an SOS up to heaven asking, ‘Lord, where are You?’ And He will reply, ‘I’m right here, wondering when you’re going to start trusting Me, leaning on Me and drawing strength from Me.’ Jesus said, ‘I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing’ (John 15:5 NKJV).

The key to success in God’s Kingdom is: work like it all depends on you and pray like it all depends on God! Martin Luther said, ‘I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God’s hands, that I still possess.’ If He has to, God will allow you to fall flat on your face in order to get you on your knees. If you’re wise, you won’t wait for that to happen.

Ps 23, John 6:1-15[/b]

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 5:46am On Sep 08, 2014
Morning Alwaystrue and Lateef4me...i Believe u guys are doing fine?

My exam will commence today..hug me with ur prayers...later guys

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 8:33am On Sep 08, 2014
[b]TODAYS WORD FOR TODAY
EXERCISE DISCRETION

‘Discretion will preserve you.’ Proverbs 2:11

We’ve all said the wrong thing, at the wrong time, to the wrong person, and ended up regretting it.

A pastor was being honoured at a retirement dinner, and a local politician had been asked to make a speech. The politician was running late so the pastor decided to say a few words: ‘When I came here twenty-five years ago I thought this was a terrible church. The first man I talked to said he’d stolen, lied, embezzled, had an affair and done drugs. I was appalled. Then I realised everybody isn’t like that; this church is filled with good people.’ Just then the politician arrived and stood up to speak: ‘I’ll never forget the day the pastor arrived and I had the privilege of being the first church member to talk to him.’ Loose lips sink ships!

The Bible says: ‘Discretion will
preserve you.’ Being discreet means
having the ability to keep sensitive
information private—including things you may have heard years ago!

The writer of Proverbs said, ‘He who is trustworthy conceals a
matter’ (Proverbs 11:13 NAS), and in
the New Testament Paul cautions
believers about discussing ‘things not proper to mention’ (1 Timothy 5:13 NAS).

Divulging what you know about other people’s problems and failures may make you feel good momentarily, but afterwards it has a predictably negative impact on the relationship. Plus, you get a reputation as a person who can’t be trusted. A wise man said, ‘If your lips would keep from slips, five things observe with care: of whom you speak, to whom you speak, and how, and when, and where.’ That’s advice you would do well to pay attention to!

2 Chron 25-28, Luke 20:41-47, Ps 78:1-8, Pr 20:7-10[/b]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:08am On Sep 09, 2014
'Lord, Where Are You?' (1)

Tuesday, 09 September 2014 01:13

'I cry out to You, O God, but You do not answer.' Job 30:20 NIV

Do you feel like God isn't answering your prayers? Job the patriarch felt the same way: 'I cry out to You, O God, but You do not answer; I stand up, but You merely look at me... When I hoped for good, evil came; when I looked for light, then came darkness.' (Job 30:20; 26 NIV) All of us go through times when it feels like God has moved and left no forwarding address. What's He up to? Why doesn't He respond? There are some lessons you only learn when God is silent:

(1) Silence isn't absence. An old proverb says, 'Speech is silver, silence is gold!' Sometimes God says to you, 'Be still, and know that I am God.' (Psalm 46:10 NIV) You have to be really secure with somebody to just sit quietly with them. Silence takes the emphasis off words and builds a level of intimacy where they're no longer necessary. If you want to be comfortable with God, learn to enter into meditation and silence with Him.

(2) Silence tests your faith. How much faith is actually involved when somebody's coaching your every step? It's like a parent running alongside a child who's learning to ride a bike. Right now the child lacks confidence, but they're going to look strange at age twenty if that parent is still trotting along beside them! At some point God takes His hands off the wheel to see how far you've progressed. And for a while it can be a wobbly ride. That's when you demonstrate how far you've come, and where you're placing your trust.

SoulFood: Josh 22-24; Luke 20:27-40; Ps 27; Pro 23:16-18

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:09am On Sep 09, 2014
@Odunharry,
I wish all the best of favour and grace in your exams. Thanks for the continual publishing of the word.

@Lateef4me, how now?

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:24am On Sep 11, 2014
'Lord, Where Are You?' (2)

Wednesday, 10 September 2014 01:18

'He will bring justice if you will only wait.' Job 35:14 NLT

Have you ever tried to sit and watch a seed sprout? You can't, can you? It stays in the ground until the time is right for it to emerge. There's a lesson here. God has planted certain things within you, and you must wait for them to take root and grow. And the unresolved issues of your past can undermine this process. Often it takes prayer and counselling to bring these issues to the surface so that you can effectively deal with them.

With God, a delay is not a denial. When speaking to Job, his friend Elihu said, 'It is wrong to say God doesn't listen, to say the Almighty isn't concerned. You say you can't see Him, but He will bring justice if you will only wait.' (Job 35:13-14 NLT) What great advice! Charles Trumbull said, 'God knows when to withhold or grant visible signs of encouragement. It's good when He sends confirmation, but we grow faster when we've trusted Him without it.

Those who do, always receive the greatest visible evidence of His love.' God answers every prayer; it's just that across some He writes, 'The time is not right yet.' Job asks, 'How long will this trial last? Why doesn't God answer?' Because it takes as long as it takes - and usually feels uncomfortable the whole time. But there's good news. Eventually your prayers become less about getting answers and more about connecting with God.
By letting Him work:
(1) you begin to realise that He is with you;
(2) you develop a deeper level of intimacy with Him;
(3) you discover you can trust Him for the entire trip.

SoulFood: Col 1-2; Luke 20:41-47; Ps 78:1-8; Pro 23:19-21

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:27am On Sep 11, 2014
Peace in the Time of Terror!

Thursday, 11 September 2014 01:07

'My future is in your hands.' Psalm 31:15 NLT

September 11, 2001, Americans awoke to scenes of horror that would remain enduringly etched on the national memory. Its shock waves told the world that things would never be the same again. Sleepy eyes stared transfixed as television brought home the collapsing twin towers with their thousands of innocent occupants, the deadly attack on the Pentagon, and the cruel fate of an airliner and passengers hurtling into a rural Pennsylvania field. Unexpected, swift and violent, these attacks shook people to the core and exemplified a jarring new reality: the proliferation of universal terrorism.

Fears of suicide bombers, chemical and biological attack still reverberate through our world of high-tech, security-conscious cities, airports, trains and bus terminals. Centuries before, King David faced the threat of conspiracy from both his enemies and his friends. Feeling abandoned, alone and vulnerable, he cried out, '[There is] terror on every side.' (Psalm 31:13 NIV) King, warrior and giant-slayer, David still felt the palpable terror of his situation. Frightened, he refocused his thoughts and heart to the source of real protection.

'But, I am trusting You, O Lord.' (Psalm 31:14 NLT) Afraid, but still trusting! And choosing to trust restored his perspective. 'My future is in Your hands.' (Psalm 31:15 NLT) His litany of fears gave way to faith and prayer. 'How great is the goodness You have stored up...You lavish it on those who come to You for protection.' (Psalm 31:19 NLT) 'You hide them in the shelter of Your presence, safe from those who conspire against them.' (Psalm 31:20 NLT) In Jesus, you'll find peace in the time of terror!

SoulFood: Col 3-4; Philemon; Luke 21:1-11; Ps 78:9-16; Pro 23:22-25

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 6:16am On Sep 13, 2014
[b]The word for Today
Friday 12th Semptember,2014

Things change but God doesnt

‘Find enjoyment in…all the days which God gives.’ Ecclesiastes 5:18

Over one hundred times in Scripture
we read, ‘It came to pass.’ That’s
because most things in life aren’t
permanent. Things change, but God
doesn’t! Knowing that can help you to handle the bad times and stop you from clinging so tightly to the good
ones. Here are three important truths to keep in mind:

1) Enjoy today. It’s a gift—that’s why it’s called ‘the present’. Solomon said, ‘To enjoy your
work and accept your lot in life…is…a gift from God’ (v. 19 NLT).
Even though you are constantly moving toward another goal or objective, learn to live in the present. Don’t put your joy on hold, or let it slip away while you’re waiting for the next big event.

2) Learn to appreciate the little things.
They’re all around you: the love of a
good friend, a kind deed, a fresh
insight, a good night’s sleep, the
delight on your child’s face. When you appreciate what you have, it multiplies. When you’re grateful for the little things, God will give you more to appreciate (Matthew 25:23).
3) Each ending brings a new beginning. There are two myths you should never believe. The first is the ‘forever myth’, which says your situation will never improve.
The second is the ‘never
myth’, which says if things get any
worse you’ll never be able to handle
them. Both are distortions. God’s Word says everything comes ‘to pass’.
And while you’re going through it, He promises to ‘strengthen…and help you’ (Isaiah 41:10 NIV). Yes, this ending will bring your new beginning.

So keep trusting God.

Job 1-4, Luke 22:14-23, Ps 78:56-64, Pr 20:25[/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"Self Defence Is Your Right" - Pastor Paul Enenche (Video) / Re:The Only Saviour / Church Of England Appoints Woyin Dorgu As First Black Bishop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.