Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,477 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:05 PM

The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional (20842 Views)

The Word For Today, 2015 - A Daily Devotional / The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by alakara(m): 6:09pm On Dec 15, 2014
Odunharry
Itz been a long time.
Hope no problem.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 7:02pm On Dec 15, 2014
alakara:
Odunharry
Itz been a long time.
Hope no problem.
no problem...i av bn a li2 bit busy with exams..
Thanks 4 checking on me

hope u r gud?
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:52am On Dec 16, 2014
FRIDAY DECEMBER 12, 2014

TRADE-OFFS (2)

‘Hard work brings a profit.’ Proverbs 14:23 NIV

As you climb higher and accumulate more, you’ll discover that it’s harder to let go of what you’ve worked for. That’s why so many of us climb part-way up the mountain of our potential, and stop. We’re unwilling to give up what we have, in order to obtain the next thing. And as a result we stall—sometimes permanently! You must be willing to make concessions, like trading: 1) What’s acceptable for what’s excellent. People don’t pay for average. They’re not impressed by anything that’s merely acceptable. If it’s worth doing, give it your best or don’t do it at all. Solomon writes, ‘Hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.’ If you want to shine, you’ve got to ‘burn the midnight oil’. 2) The first half for the second half. In his book Halftime, Bob Buford says most people who are successful in the first half of their life often try to live the second half in the same way. And that’s a mistake. If you’re in the second half, you’ve probably spent much of your time paying the price for success. Don’t waste it. Move from success to significance. Do things that will live on after you are gone. Don’t just leave a will, leave a legacy. 3) Your work for God for your walk with God. No matter how much value your work has, it can’t compare to having a relationship with God. One of the great traps of ministry is working for God, but not spending enough time with Him. Make sure that doesn’t happen to you.

Gen 50 Haggai 1-2, John 20: 1-18, Psalm 105: 1-7, Ecclesiastes 5: 13-16.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:55am On Dec 16, 2014
SATURDAY DECEMBER 13, 2014.

BE A FINISHER

‘I have finished the work You gave Me.’ John 17:4 GNT

Unfinished business drains your energy without you even realising it. William James said, ‘There is nothing so fatiguing as an uncompleted task.’ And the Internet has made the problem worse, because now you get more ‘messages’ in one day than you used to get in a month. When you don’t focus on something, you don’t finish it. So you end up frustrated, feeling like ‘nothing is getting done’. If you don’t take control of your time, the most forceful people and most urgent situations in your life will. Before Christ picked His twelve disciples or calmed the storm on Galilee, He spent all night in prayer. ‘He departed again to the mountain by Himself alone’
(John 6:15 NKJV). Note the word ‘again’. Jesus regularly retreated from the pressures of the crowd in order to determine His priorities. Mac Anderson says: ‘Something magical happens when we accept personal responsibility for our behaviour and results. But it’s easy…it’s human nature to ‘pass the buck’. As I’ve become older (and wiser), when things go wrong…I can always find the culprit…in the mirror. In every instance it comes back to choices I’ve made that put me exactly where I am today. Adopting an attitude of personal accountability means you’ve more control over your destiny…you become a contributor instead of a passive observer…others look to you for leadership…you gain a reputation as a problem solver…You experience the satisfaction that comes from getting things done…there’s less anger, frustration and helplessness, which in turn leads to better physical health…There’s a positive spillover into your personal and spiritual life. Sometimes winning isn’t about finishing first, it’s about finishing— full stop!’

Esther 1-4, John 20: 19-31, Psalm 105: 8-22, Ecclesiastes 7: 1-4
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:57am On Dec 16, 2014
SUNDAY DECEMBER 14, 2014.

FINISHING STRONG

‘I must be about My Father’s business.’ Luke 2:49 NKJV

If the word ‘quit’ is part of your vocabulary, chances are that the word ‘finish’ isn’t. Finishing means staying on the job until it’s done. It’s about accountability and action, because even when you’re on the right track you’ll get run over if you just sit there. High achievers will tell you that life takes on meaning when you take responsibility for your actions and pursue your goals with purpose and passion. Nothing compares to ‘the rush’ of crossing the finish line. The fact is, nobody remembers who finished second, except the guy who finished second! Co-authors B.J. Gallagher and Steve Ventura said the ten most important words in finishing strong are: ‘I won’t wait for others to take the first step.’ The nine most important: ‘If it is to be, it’s up to me.’ Eight: ‘If not me, who? If not now, when?’ Seven: ‘Let me have a go at it.’ Six: ‘I will not pass the buck.’ Five: ‘You can count on me.’ Four: ‘It IS my job.’ Three: ‘Just do it!’ Two: ‘I will.’ And the most important word: ‘Me.’ Jesus was the greatest finisher of all time. At age twelve, He told His parents, ‘I must be about My Father’s business.’ Later He told His disciples, ‘I must work the works of Him who sent Me’ (John 9:4 NKJV). Facing the cross, He said, ‘For this cause I was born’ (John 18:37 NKJV). And just before He died, He said, ‘It is finished!’ (John 19:30 NIV). Then, having earned the right to become our advocate with God, He went back to heaven and ‘sat down’ (Hebrews 10:12). Mission accomplished! So focus on finishing strong!

Esther 5-10, John 21: 1-25, Psalm 18: 1-29, Proverbs 26
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:59am On Dec 16, 2014
MONDAY DECEMBER 15, 2014.

HOOKED TOGETHER!

‘All of you together are the temple.’ 1 Corinthians 3:16 NLT

A little boy was playing outside when a neighbour asked him where his brother was. ‘In the house,’ he replied. ‘We were playing a duet on the piano—but I finished first!’ That wasn’t what God intended when He called us to work together! It’s not a competition. In Bible days Roman soldiers’ shields were designed so they could literally be hooked together. Each man fought for his entire line. Paul lists the people he was hooked to; he called them his ‘fellow workers’ (Romans 16:3 NKJV). Speaking to the church, he wrote, ‘All of you together are the temple of God…Everything belongs to you, and you belong to Christ’ (1 Corinthians 3:16,
22-23 NLT). Notice: 1) Only together do we have everything we need. 2) It’s about whom we belong to, not what belongs to us. Experts say we need to hear something at least seven times before it registers. And this is particularly true when it comes to acknowledging our character defects or flaws in our plans. Dr John Maxwell writes: ‘After a period of frustration, I humbled myself and asked for advice. They told me things I didn’t want to hear. But I needed to learn to listen. And I learned to pay attention to things that struck a sensitive chord within me; it was often a signal that it was something I needed to improve. The things that upset me most, or that I resisted most, were usually what I needed to work on most. And if I gave myself time to reflect on what I was told and seek improvement, I usually improved dramatically.’ Don’t be defensive; learn from the people you’re hooked to!

Luke 1: 26-56, Luke 2: 1-40, Luke 2: 41-52, John 2: 1-12.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:01am On Dec 16, 2014
TUESDAY DECEMBER 16, 2014.

MIND MANAGEMENT (1)

‘Above all else, guard your heart.’ Proverbs 4:23 NIV

We hear a lot these days about time management, financial management and weight management—but what about mind management? Shouldn’t we be more concerned about managing our minds than managing anything else? Jesus was. He guarded the gateway of His heart by refusing to concede in three areas: 1) The agenda of people who wanted to use Him for their own purposes. ‘Jesus saw that in their enthusiasm, they were about to grab Him and make Him king, so He slipped off and went back up the mountain to be by Himself’ (John 6:15 TM). Most of us would delight in the idea of becoming ‘king’. Even if we refused the crown, we’d enjoy considering the invitation! Not Jesus. 2) The naïveté of those who wanted to spare Him. When Jesus announced His death on the cross to the disciples, Peter objected. And when he failed to see the necessity of the cross, Jesus issued one of His harshest rebukes: ‘Get out of my way. Satan, get lost. You have no idea how God works’ (Matthew 16:23 TM). 3) The scorn of those who didn’t know Him or believe in Him. Before raising a girl from the dead, Jesus said to the people in the house, ‘She is only sleeping’ (Luke 8:52 GNT). And what was their response? They laughed at Him. Like all of us, Jesus had to face scorn. But unlike most of us, He refused to accept it. Note His response: ‘He put them all outside’ (Mark 5:40 RSV). Doubt, criticism and scorn weren’t allowed in the girl’s house—or in the mind of Christ. How about your mind?

Job 1-4, Luke 1: 1-25, Psalm 105: 23-36, Ecclesiastes 7: 5-8.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by chukwuinya: 4:38pm On Dec 16, 2014
doing real good job here lateef ,more grace
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 8:09am On Dec 18, 2014
[b]THE WORD FOR TODAY
18TH DECEMBER,2014
MIND MANAGEMENT(3)
‘For we are God’s handiwork.’ Ephesians 2:10

Your mind is the doorway to your
heart, and when a questionable
thought arises, you always have a
choice. You can throw the door open and let it in, or do what the Bible says: ‘Fight to capture every thought until it acknowledges the authority ofChrist’ (2 Corinthians 10:5 PHPS).

In other words, capture the thought
before it captures you. Let’s say a
thought regarding your self-worth
arises and says, ‘You’ve been a loser all your life. You’ve failed in
relationships and jobs and ambitions.

You might as well write ‘‘loser’’ on
your CV, for that’s what you are.’ The average person would say to that thought, ‘You’re right; come on in.’ But you’re not the average person! You’re a new creation in Christ, led by His Spirit. So rather than let the thought in, take it captive, present it to the Lord
and say, ‘Jesus, this thought says I’m a loser and I’ll never amount to anything. What do You think?’ See
what you’re doing? You’re submitting that thought to the authority of Jesus.
If He agrees with it, then let it in. If not, kick it to the kerb!
How do you know if He agrees or disagrees? Open your Bible and find out what God says about you. ‘We are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do’(Ephesians 2:10NIV).
What about this one? ‘Therefore, there is now no condemnation for
those who are in Christ Jesus’ (Romans 8:1 NIV). Any thought
that doesn’t line up with God’s Word
doesn’t pass the test—and doesn’t
gain entrance. That’s how you manage your mind!

Gen 30:25 - 31:55, John 20:19-31, Ps 67, Pr 30:29-33[/b]
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 10:23am On Dec 18, 2014
Well done @Lattef4me and @Odunharry. Hope your exams went well Odunharry. I wish you favoured success.
Thanks for keeping it up, so sorry I was not able to post often. Been busy here and there but still no reason not to publish this.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:40am On Dec 18, 2014
Have I wish you guys merry xmas ? Better late than never !

Merry christmas and prosperous new year in advance ! May Christ's light ,who is the reason for the season shines in our lives ,and may we experience a closer walk with Him in the coming year .....
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by alakara(m): 1:41pm On Dec 18, 2014
To all those pple who have being keeping this thread alive, welldone God is your strength.
We will not miss heaven.
Merry Christmas and happy new year.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:46am On Dec 21, 2014
FRIDAY DECEMBER 19, 2014.
"MIND MANAGEMENT (4)"

‘Don’t cherish exaggerated ideas of yourself.’ Romans 12:3 PHPS

Here are two more examples of mind management. A thought knocks on the door of your mind and says, ‘You’re so wonderful, the world is lucky to have you.’ Typically it’s the kind of thought you’d welcome, but you don’t do things the typical way. You submit it to the authority of Christ, and as you unsheathe the Sword of the Spirit, His Word, you learn that pride doesn’t please God. ‘Don’t cherish exaggerated ideas of yourself.’ As much as you’d like to embrace an exalted image of yourself, you can’t. You only allow what Christ allows. Here’s another example: this time it’s temptation. If you’re a male, the thought comes in a low-cut red dress. If you’re a female, it comes in the form of the hunk you’ve always admired. Temptation whispers, ‘It’s all right, you’re both consenting adults.’ If you aren’t under Christ’s authority you throw open the door, but if you are you say, ‘Not so fast.’ Then you take this steamy thought before Jesus and ask, ‘Yes or no?’ And nowhere does He answer more clearly than 1 Corinthians 6 & 7: ‘We must not pursue the kind of sex that avoids commitment and intimacy, leaving us more lonely than ever…Is it a good thing to have sexual relations? Certainly—but only within a certain context. It’s good for a man to have a wife, and for a woman to have a husband. Sexual drives are strong, but marriage is strong enough to contain them’ (1 Corinthians 6:15-16; 7:1-3 TM). Now, armed with the opinion of Christ and the Sword of the Spirit, what do you do? Unless the tempter or temptress is your spouse—you slam the door shut. End of story!

Job 11-14, Lk 1: 57-66, Psalm 67, Ecclesiates 7: 19-22.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:47am On Dec 21, 2014
SATURDAY DECEMBER 20, 2014
WORDS OR ACTIONS?

‘Let us not love with words…but…actions.’ 1 John 3:18 NIV

We must care about people’s spiritual and practical needs. It’s hard for someone to grasp the concept of God’s love when they don’t know where their next meal is coming from, or where they’ll sleep tonight. Food banks worldwide are seeing a dramatic upsurge in emergency requests. Volunteer Cindy Crosby writes: ‘Each client is as different as the patterns in a kaleidoscope: the retired, the mentally ill, single mothers, young men fallen on hard times…And not everyone is grateful. Some are angry…some refuse eye contact…some leave without saying more than a few words…If you volunteer just to feel good about yourself, you’ll give up. Lofty ideals shatter like stained glass pelted by rocks…It’s the success stories that stick…The refugee mother whose son went on to Harvard on a scholarship…the woman who thanked me more times than I could count…the mother of six who showed palpable relief because that month she could feed her family…I remember Jesus’ words, ‘‘I was hungry…you gave me something to eat…I was a stranger…you invited me in’’ (Matthew 25:35 NIV). Now when I think of hunger, I see faces. And that has made all the difference.’ It’s easier to love in theory than reality, especially when it comes to people who are difficult or different. But genuine love isn’t defined by what feels good or bad; God’s already set the standard. ‘If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?…Let us not love with words…but…actions’ (1 John 3:17-18 NIV).

Job 15-17, Lk 1: 67-80, Psalm 12, Ecclesiaste 9: 10-12.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:38am On Dec 21, 2014
SUNDAY DECEMBER 21, 2014.

SPIRITUAL ADVENTURES

‘God…will never give up on you.’ 1 Corinthians 1:9 TM

Think being a Christian isn’t exciting? Check out these headlines. Man in desert discovers burning bush that can’t be extinguished. Sea opens and thousands walk through on dry land. Giant who threatened a nation killed by teen with slingshot. Jewish girl saves her people from destruction. Three young rebels survive blazing furnace. Man brought back from the dead after four days. City walls mysteriously fall. Preacher swallowed by giant fish and lives to tell the tale. Prophet caught up to heaven in a fiery chariot. These aren’t from the tabloids; they’re from Scripture. Adventure means ‘exciting and dangerous undertakings’. When you embark on the spiritual adventure Paul mentions, you can expect God to test your faith in ways you never imagined. The Bible talks about those ‘who through faith conquered kingdoms…shut the mouths of lions, quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength’ (Hebrews 11:33-34 NIV). John Eldredge says: ‘Adventure, with all its requisite danger and wildness, is a deeply spiritual longing written into the soul of man…Moses doesn’t encounter the living God at the shopping centre. He finds him in the deserts of Sinai…Deep in a man’s heart are fundamental questions that cannot be answered at the kitchen table…it’s fear that keeps [him] at home where things are neat and orderly and under his control.’ When God wants to do something wonderful through you, He has to get you from where you are to where He is. How about it: Are you ready to embark on a spiritual adventure with God?

Job 18-20, Mt 1: 1-17, Psalm 47, Ecclesiaste 10: 1-4.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 9:07am On Dec 21, 2014
Thanks lateef4me for the update..
Alwaystrue it good to have u back...

Compliment of the season to evryone including our readers and guest

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 2:33pm On Dec 22, 2014
MONDAY DECEMBER 22, 2014.

STOP FIGHTING IN YOUR OWN STRENGTH

‘We do not wage war as the world does.’ 2 Corinthians 10:3 NIV

During World War II, Allied bombers carried machine guns in the nose, under the belly, on top, and in the rear. B-17s, better known as ‘flying fortresses’, carried thirteen .50 calibre machine guns. At one point scientists suggested the planes might actually be safer without them. Without the extra weight needed to operate the guns, they could fly faster and higher, increasing their odds of survival. The pilots, however, thought differently. They wouldn’t even consider embarking on a mission without guns to shoot back and defend themselves. With that thought in mind, Jon Walker says: ‘We make the same choice when it comes to fighting our own battles.’ God says we don’t need the guns…we can soar higher and faster with Him. ‘For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.’ The weapons He gives ‘have divine power to demolish strongholds’; we don’t need the ‘weapons of the world’ (2 Corinthians 10:3-4 NIV). But we say ‘No thanks’; we have to shoot back and defend ourselves with arsenals of angry words, demanding attitudes, manipulative manoeuvres, excessive excuses, and bombs of blame. It takes courage to stop using weapons of the flesh, ‘take up the shield of faith’, and arm ourselves with the weapons of God (Ephesians 6:16 NIV). It’s the kind of faith David showed when he [told] Goliath, ‘You come against me with sword and spear…but I come against you in the name of the Lord’ (1 Samuel 17:45 NIV). Stop fighting in your own strength and let God’s spiritual arsenal defend you; ‘He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him’ (Proverbs 30:5 NIV).

Daniel 11-12, Mt 9: 14-26, Psalm 89: 38-52, Proverb 3: 1-2.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 1:15pm On Dec 23, 2014
TUESDAY DECEMBER 23, 2014

BROKENNESS

‘Not My will, but Yours be done.’ Luke 22:42 NIV

If your goal is to be used by God, don’t be surprised when He permits seasons of adversity and brokenness. Jesus experienced it, and He said, ‘A servant is not greater than his master’ (John 15:20 NKJV). One Bible teacher points out: ‘God’s intent isn’t to hurt us, but to expand our capacity to carry His love to a world in need of compassion…Sorrow clarifies our thinking. In the school of Christ, brokenness is a good thing. It’s impossible to become intimate with God unless we’re broken of independence, pride and our insistence that our way is better than God’s. Brokenness is the last stop before we finally confess, ‘‘I can’t; God can.’’ It’s Paul confessing, ‘‘What a wretched man I am. Who will rescue me from this body of death?’’ (Romans 7:24 NIV). It’s the Prodigal fighting with the pigs over food (Luke 15:11-32). It’s Joseph, still in prison, forgotten by the cupbearer (Genesis 40:23). It’s Jonah in the whale’s belly confessing the consequences of running from God (Jonah 2:1-9). It’s Peter weeping bitterly outside Jesus’ trial (Luke 22:62). It’s Jesus abandoning everything to God, praying, ‘‘Father…not My will, but Yours be done’’ (Luke 22:42 NIV)…God in His ruthless, loving pursuit will break us of pride, sin, folly and independence (Matthew 21:44). Like Jesus serving bread at the Last Supper, God takes us, breaks us, blesses us and uses us.’ Are you going through a season of brokenness? Be encouraged; in God’s kingdom brokenness is the path to blessing. Watchman Nee put it this way: ‘To have God do His own work through us, even once, is better than a lifetime of human striving.’

Job 21-23, Lk 2: 1-7, Psalm 128, Ecclesiaste 10: 5-9.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 3:15pm On Dec 23, 2014
Thanks Lateef4me for the update...
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 11:30am On Dec 24, 2014
WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 24, 2014

SEEKING GOD (1)
‘Wise men…came…saying, “Where is He…?”’ Matthew 2:1-2 NKJV

Notice two things about the wise men: 1) Who they were. Astrologers. Jews considered astrology to be a counterfeit to true prophecy. Be careful; there are people whose lifestyles you may disapprove of, who are honestly seeking God. So be gracious in your dealings with them. The Greek philosophers on Mars Hill had a pantheon of gods. Was Paul shocked or put off? No. He commended them for being willing to search for God, adding, ‘He is not far from each one of us’ (Acts 17:27 NKJV). Don’t jump to conclusions and write people off. In God’s eyes every weed is a potential rose and every loser is a potential winner. And you should be glad about that! 2) How far they travelled. They left their families and the comforts of home to travel hundreds of miles in order to find God. Their round-trip journey took two years, and ended in a Jewish village where they were cultural outcasts. Meanwhile, leaders who had access to the prophecies of Christ’s birth wouldn’t expend the time and effort to check them out. We often quote Jeremiah chapter 29, verse 11: ‘“The plans I have for you,’’ says the Lord… “are plans for good…to give you a future and a hope.”’ But don’t stop there, read on: ‘When you pray, I will listen. If you look for Me wholeheartedly, you will find Me’ (vv. 12-13 NLT). Poet Julie Carro wrote, ‘Now wise men still seek His face as they did in days of old; to give the Lord their hearts, more precious than silver and gold.’ How far are you prepared to go in your search for God?

Job 24-28, John 1: 6-18,, Psalm 113, Ecclesiastes 10: 10-14.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 12:06pm On Dec 24, 2014
Nice message Lateef

compliment of the season to everyone
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 10:37pm On Dec 24, 2014
cheesy Merry Christmas folks. As you give gifts this season please know that Jesus is the perfect gift to mankind. Without Him, possibly only a selected very few would have been able to win the favour of God. It is because of Christ we are made worthy to partake in the commonwealth of Israel.
Congrats people.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 7:45am On Dec 25, 2014
Seeking God (2)

Thursday, 25 December 2014

'They saw the young Child...and worshipped Him.' Matthew 2:11 NKJV

Notice two more things about the wise men:

(1) How God guided them. ‘The star which they had seen in the East went before them, till it came and stood over where the young Child was…And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshipped Him.’ (Matthew 2:9–11 NKJV) Never limit God. And don’t lock Him into a personal experience you had in the past where He guided you in a certain way. If God can move a star, He can rearrange any circumstance in your favour. How did the wise men know about the birth of Christ? Maybe because of an alignment of the planets, or because they were students of Old Testament prophecy. We don’t know. But one thing is certain: they were seeking God—and that’s the point at which we must all begin.

(2) How God protected them. Herod wasn’t happy about the news these men brought. Indeed, he was downright enraged. Think: if he was willing to kill every Jewish baby boy under the age of two in order to get at Jesus, what were the chances that these men would get out of town alive? Not great—until God stepped in! ‘Then, being divinely warned in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed for their own country another way.’ (Matthew 2:12 NKJV) The devil is real, but you don’t have to be afraid, because Jesus has already defeated him. The main thing is: when your heart is set on seeking God, He will guide you, protect you and reward you.

SoulFood: Is 7:14, Mt 1:18-25, Mic 5:2-5a, Is 9:6-7

smiley This is The Word For Today

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:56am On Dec 27, 2014
Merry xmas friends ! May the light of Christ shine brightly in our lives in this season and through out our lives !
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:57am On Dec 27, 2014
FRIDAY DECEMBER 26, 2014.

ACCEPTED BY GOD!

‘He made us accepted in the Beloved.’ Ephesians 1:6 NKJV

There’s no pain worse than rejection and no pleasure greater than acceptance, which helps explain the length some people go to in order to avoid rejection and earn acceptance. But the good news is, with God you’re already accepted. J.B. Phillips translates Ephesians 1:6 like this: ‘He…has made us welcome in the everlasting love He bears towards the Son.’ And that’s not limited to those who appear worthy because of their good deeds and a flawless moral record; it’s for every believing child of God, lock, stock and barrel! Cromwell once commissioned a self-portrait. The artist, courting Cromwell’s favour, portrayed him without his obvious imperfections. Cromwell was livid. ‘I said paint me, man—me, warts and all!’ You’re accepted by God, ‘warts and all’. But note: 1) God’s acceptance doesn’t equal His approval. He accepts sinners, but He can never accept our sin. Indeed, His free gift of acceptance is our greatest motivator to renounce our sin and live to please Him (Titus 2:11, 12). 2) God’s acceptance is unconditional. He doesn’t say, ‘You’re accepted if you clean up your act.’ In the words of Jeremiah, ‘Can a leopard take away its spots? Neither can you start doing good, for you have always done evil’ (Jeremiah 13:23 NLT). God’s acceptance has to be unconditional, because it’s impossible for us to merit it. 3) God’s acceptance is because of Jesus. You’re ‘accepted in the Beloved’. The doomed Mephibosheth was accepted because of David’s relationship to his beloved friend Jonathan (2 Samuel 9). And as long as God accepts Jesus, and you trust in Jesus, you’re accepted as well.

Job 29-31, Luke 2: 8-20, Psalm 117, Ecc 10: 15-19.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:58am On Dec 27, 2014
SATURDAY DECEMBER 27, 2014.

ACCEPTING YOURSELF

‘Predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son.’ Romans 8:29 NIV

Studies show that many of us don’t like ourselves. A poll of college students confirmed that over 50 per cent suffered from low self-acceptance, with the majority citing their looks as the source of their unhappiness. ‘My nose is too long. My eyes are too small. I’m too fat here—too thin there. I’m too short—too tall. I’ve got freckles.’ And the beauty industry is more than willing to darken it, lighten it, accentuate it, lift it, tuck it and cover it up in an attempt to sell us a self-image we can accept. A little improvement might indeed be beneficial, but not as a basis for self-worth. Here’s how God sees the issue: ‘Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying, ‘‘Stop, you’re doing it wrong!’’ Does the pot exclaim, ‘‘How clumsy can you be?’’’ (Isaiah 45:9 NLT). You are God’s personal creation. And He makes no mistakes, overlooks no details and leaves nothing unfinished. You need to accept yourself because He created, redeemed and accepts you. In an age of media overload, we’re bombarded by images of perfect-looking people, with the inference that we need to look like them if we hope to amount to anything. But Paul says: ‘We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise’ (2 Corinthians 10:12 NIV). The God Who made you who you are has a plan for perfecting you. You’re perfectly acceptable, if not yet acceptably perfect. You’re ‘predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son’. So you’re a work in progress!

Job 32-34, Mathew 2: 1-8, Psalm 97, Ecclesiastes 10: 20-11:3.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 8:04am On Dec 27, 2014
It is really nice knowing u guys...2yrs and counting.

God grace and mercy will never depart us,Amen
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:23pm On Dec 29, 2014
SUNDAY DECEMBER 28, 2014

God Can Lift You Up (1)

‘He will lift you up.’ James 4:10

The Bible says, ‘Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.’ It works this way: when you try to exalt yourself, God brings you down, but when you humble yourself in His sight, He lifts you up. He does it because you’re His child and He loves you. You may feel like a nobody right now, but in God’s eyes you’re a somebody. Who but God could reach behind a hedge, find a Gypsy Smith and use him to win multitudes to Christ? Who but God could go to Old Comiskey Park in Chicago, find a baseball player called Billy Sunday and use him to impact the world? Who but God could look in a Galilean fishing boat and find Peter, call him, transform him and use him to build the church? God loves to do things like that. And since He ‘does not show favouritism’ (Romans 2:11 NIV) you’ve every right to believe He will do it for you too. The Bible says, ‘As he thinketh in his heart, so is he’ (Proverbs 23:7 KJV). When that little voice inside you whispers, ‘You’ve no talent and you’ll never amount to anything in life,’ that’s not God. It’s satan—and the Bible says he’s a liar (John 8:44)! That’s why you need to tell him, ‘I don’t believe a word you’re saying. You can’t put me down because God is raising me up.’ God’s plan for you was established long before you were born, and He hasn’t changed His mind. So you need to discover His plan, then make sure your feelings, thoughts, actions and words line up with it. 

Isaiah 40:1-31, John 9:1-39
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:25pm On Dec 29, 2014
MONDAY DECEMBER 29, 2014.

GOD CAN LIFT YOU UP (2)

‘All things are possible to him who believes.’ Mark 9:23 NKJV

In order to access power, you have to go to the outlet and plug in to the source of it. That’s what happens when you pray in faith; you plug in to God’s power. Picture a boat trapped in mud and stuck on the bottom. If you can get it to the dock, you can repair it and send it back out to sea. The trouble is you can’t move it. So what’s the answer? Bring in high-powered tugboats, connect steel cables to the sunken craft and wait for the tide to rise. Are you getting the idea? When you feel so low that you can’t lift yourself up, tap into God’s power and let Him lift you up to the place where He can repair, restore and recommission you. If you keep that picture in mind, you’ll never think about prayer the same way again. Instead of seeing it as an obligation, you’ll start seeing it as an awesome power that works for you in all circumstances of life. And you’ll see reading the Bible in a different light as well. Paul says, ‘So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up’ (Acts 20:32 NKJV). Your problems may be great, but the tide of God’s Spirit is greater, and if you let it, it’ll lift you out of your troubles. Will they suddenly vanish overnight? No, but you’ll be above them looking down instead of underneath them looking up. At that point you’ll be operating from a position of faith instead of a position of fear. It can happen for you. God can lift you up: ‘All things are possible to him who believes.’

Matthew 6: 5-15, Matthew 26: 36-46, Jas 5: 13-18, 1 Thessalonica 5: 16-18.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 1:35pm On Dec 30, 2014
TUESDAY DECEMBER 30, 2014

ACCEPTING OTHERS

‘Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you.’ Romans 15:7 NIV

Sometimes people don’t make it easy to accept them. They can be bad tempered, selfish, critical, irritating, dismissive, aggressive and pompous. Sometimes you want to give them a piece of your mind; give them what they deserve—anything but acceptance. The command, ‘accept one another’, is inconvenient. And if Paul had stopped there we might dodge the directive by saying he obviously meant good, reasonable, acceptable people. Alas, he goes on, ‘just as Christ accepted you’. Were you good, reasonable and acceptable? No, but He accepted you—flaws and all—and He still does! You say, ‘Somebody has to straighten these people out and require them to act right!’ You mean like Jesus required before He accepted you? Roman Christians had difficulty accepting their less experienced brothers, and Paul corrected them: ‘Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment…for God has accepted him’ (Roman 14:1-3 NIV). Straightening people out isn’t our department; accepting them is. God calls us to accept messed-up, unspiritual, carnal, obnoxious, doctrinally misled, ‘just plain wrong’ people. You don’t have to approve of, like, or agree with them, but accepting them isn’t optional. There’s no elite, privileged, insider class. We occupy level ground because of two realities: our sin and the cross! Jews and Gentiles despised each other, even after salvation. Each wanted the other to change and become like them. But Paul took the axe to the root of that tree: ‘For Christ Himself…reconciled both groups…by means of His death on the cross, and our hostility toward each other was put to death’. (Ephesians 2:14-16 NLT). Our job is to accept people—and let God adjust them.

Job 38-39, Matthew 2: 16-23, Psalm 139: 13-24, Ecclesiastes 11: 7-10.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 6:03am On Dec 31, 2014
[b]God Has Something Better for
You
Wednesday, 31 December 2014 '

The Lord will withhold no good
thing from those who do what is
right.' Psalm 84:11 NLT

When God knows something is
good for you He says ‘Yes’, and
when it’s not, He says ‘No’. Why
would God say ‘no’ to you?
Maybe the timing is wrong, or He
has something better in mind. Gratitude comes when you
realise what could have
happened, but didn’t because
God intervened.

Stop trying to break loose from the loving grip of the One who holds you for your own protection. The Bible says: ‘Take delight in the Lord,
and He will give you your heart’s
desires. Commit everything you
do to the Lord. Trust Him, and He
will help you… Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait
patiently for Him to act.’ (Psalm
37:4–7 NLT)

Looking back on her life, Billy Graham’s wife, Ruth, said, ‘If the Lord had said “Yes” to all my prayer requests I’d have married the wrong man—several times.’ What you’re so upset about now, you may be thanking God for later.

The more spiritually mature you become, the more you begin to see how wise your heavenly Father is, and the more you learn to trust Him. The Psalmist wrote, ‘The Lord is my
shepherd; I shall not want.’ (Psalm 23:1 KJV)
What a picture: God leading you, God feeding you, God protecting you, God watching over you. Like a
lifeguard at a beach, in order to
save you, God will sometimes
interrupt your life, risk
embarrassing you in front of your friends, and maybe even
bruise a rib or two. That’s
because He loves you too much
to let you drown in the thing you
thought was so good for you.
The main thing is: God has something better for you!

SoulFood: Job 40-42, Mt 3:1-12,
Ps 116, Ecc 12:13-14[/b]
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 12:07pm On Jan 01, 2015
It a new year pals....more of God's Grace,Mercy and Favour go with us this year 2015,Amen.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"Self Defence Is Your Right" - Pastor Paul Enenche (Video) / Re:The Only Saviour / Church Of England Appoints Woyin Dorgu As First Black Bishop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.