Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,798 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (180874 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Brunel(m): 3:40pm On Jan 06, 2016
xfire:

Send me your CV. Include your username. I will review it by weekend. Thanks

May I send mine too?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 4:35pm On Jan 06, 2016
temi4fash:

You said I should send you my C.V but you have not replied me...
I'm sorry. Send it again. I will make out time to look at it on Saturday and respond.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 5:27pm On Jan 06, 2016
xfire:

I hear you boss... I'll resend.

Thanks
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 5:29pm On Jan 06, 2016
Gerrard59:

I could. However, if you need a comprehensive review I suggest www.jarushub.com
Send me a PM. Same to you.

I know about jarushub. But I no get money to pay for that service.

Pm sent!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by temi4fash(m): 3:11am On Jan 07, 2016
xfire:

I'm sorry. Send it again. I will make out time to look at it on Saturday and respond.

I have sent it again sir.

Would be expecting your reply.

God bless you sir
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Gerrard59(m): 3:18pm On Jan 07, 2016
simiolu1:

I know about jarushub. But I no get money to pay for that service.

Pm sent!

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by petengine(m): 3:21pm On Jan 07, 2016
RIchieSuazo:

Happy New Year Sir., pls i just wanted to remind you concerning the Total IT you said yu were gonna help me with..

pls, can i have your number or a way to reach you better.. thanks
08062947799. u can add me up on whatsapp
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Odunharry(m): 6:21pm On Jan 07, 2016
xfire:

oga xfire happy new year.. can I send mine for reviews too?, thanks
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by nedie: 7:39pm On Jan 07, 2016
xfire:

Xfire, u didn't respond. Can I send my Cv for review?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 12:31am On Jan 09, 2016
Gerrard59:

Please I didn't see the pm. Could you please send it to donuch95@gmail.com

Thanks

Definitely!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Brunel(m): 4:14am On Jan 09, 2016
xfire:

hello xfire, may I also send mine.......Happy weekend. smiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 10:43am On Jan 11, 2016
xfire:

I've sent the CV to you since Thursday or Friday buy I'm yet to get response from you. Hope no problem?

Do have a great week.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Lynuche: 4:20pm On Jan 12, 2016
Not so sure about people calling. Finished with a First Class in Industrial Chemistry and I am clueless. Still in naija and havent gotten any job?
Any advise? I am interested in Energy sector. And i am just 22. I really need advise o
Gerrard59:

1) I would advise you not to continue as age is not on your side. However, pharmacy is a professional course which means you could open your store(become self employed), apply for masters abroad. With your uncle you could get financial aid to further your education.

2) Passion is key in anything one does. However, if you can handle Industrial Chemistry as a course you can make it. Academically, there exists little differences between Pharmacy and Industrial Chemistry; you write the same chemical formulas, compounds, if needed cram the crambles. Only difference is you apply the chemistry(pharmacy is mainly about chemistry than biology) in Pharmacy to the human body, while the other is applied in the industry. An industrial chemist can work in the pharmaceutical industry even though I concede a pharmacist is given more access, privilege and respect.

3) C'mon, don't you want to enjoy life when your mates are? You'd be above, maximum 35 years old. Haba!! shocked!!. Unless, you intend becoming a researcher(which I'd say go overseas), I don't see the point.
4 years + 1 year NYSC = 24/25. Applying for Jamb + Bpharm = 30. Better finish here in Nigeria, apply for masters overseas and finish in say Msc in pharmaceutical science.
Passion is good, although you can generate passion yourself. When the desirable isn't available, the available becomes the desirable.

In conclusion, finish your Industrial Chemistry(you sound smart and intelligent), aim for a First Class. It's possible, a girl in Unilag did it, she's just 22(4.85). When you get your First Class, I bet even MIT, Oxford or Novartis would come calling.
For a more detailed analysis, visit Jarushub.

Wish you the very best in your chosen career.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Gerrard59(m): 5:26pm On Jan 12, 2016
Lynuche:
Not so sure about people calling. Finished with a First Class in Industrial Chemistry and I am clueless. Still in naija and havent gotten any job?
Any advise? I am interested in Energy sector. And i am just 22. I really need advise o
Congratulations on you finishing with a First Class. You have crossed the first hurdle. Energy? You mean Oil and Gas? I don't know of your business/corporate knowledge skills, but if it's the oil and gas industry I think you should have known by now. The industry is in a lull at the moment, low prices=unprofitability=layoffs and a freeze on recruitment process.

However, you can target the downstream sector most notably Dangote's refinery, fertilizer and any of his allied companies. It's not wise to put all your eggs in one basket(in this case oil and gas). Diversify your search, practice more job test past questions, develop a knowledge about corporate Nigeria (one of the reasons why C-suite executives earn more is because they determine the financial state of the company).

In conclusion, I advise you intensify your search, recreate your CV(include your CGPA), be versatile (I can discuss any topic, ranging from career to any sport to the global economy to climate change to religion, politics, renewable energy, aviation, Big4, MBBs, magic circle), visit Nigeria's Muse, Jarushub, peep at Forbes magazine, The Economist, The Financial Times etc. Be ready to spend oh, looking for a job is also a job. http://www.testcentre-ng.com
Www.jarushub.com

Have a great day.

P.S.
You can visit those websites
Which school did you grad from?

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Lynuche: 9:01am On Jan 13, 2016
U.I. thanks but I'll like to ask some more questions
Gerrard59:

Congratulations on you finishing with a First Class. You have crossed the first hurdle. Energy? You mean Oil and Gas? I don't know of your business/corporate knowledge skills, but if it's the oil and gas industry I think you should have known by now. The industry is in a lull at the moment, low prices=unprofitability=layoffs and a freeze on recruitment process.

However, you can target the downstream sector most notably Dangote's refinery, fertilizer and any of his allied companies. It's not wise to put all your eggs in one basket(in this case oil and gas). Diversify your search, practice more job test past questions, develop a knowledge about corporate Nigeria (one of the reasons why C-suite executives earn more is because they determine the financial state of the company).

In conclusion, I advise you intensify your search, recreate your CV(include your CGPA), be versatile (I can discuss any topic, ranging from career to any sport to the global economy to climate change to religion, politics, renewable energy, aviation, Big4, MBBs, magic circle), visit Nigeria's Muse, Jarushub, peep at Forbes magazine, The Economist, The Financial Times etc. Be ready to spend oh, looking for a job is also a job. http://www.testcentre-ng.com
Www.jarushub.com

Have a great day.

P.S.
You can visit those websites
Which school did you grad from?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Gerrard59(m): 4:21pm On Jan 13, 2016
Lynuche:

Go ahead bro. I answer questions for a living grin.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by alphabbey1(m): 11:28pm On Jan 14, 2016
Lynuche:
Blood of zachariah!!! Am just a fresher and u're already a 1st class graduate in the same institution. I think I need some advice from u, such as, characters of the lecturers, how to answer exam questions, and so on. Please can I have ur line?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Gerrard59(m): 9:38am On Jan 15, 2016
Lynuche:

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 3:47pm On Jan 15, 2016
Gerrard59:

Better still... Shoot me a mail.... Donuch95@gmail.com

My guy, you still haven't done my CV review. I s dey wait o
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Gerrard59(m): 4:39pm On Jan 15, 2016
simiolu1:

My guy, you still haven't done my CV review. I s dey wait o

Apologies. I have been very busy and though I saw it, I want to take my time in reviewing it. Promise you before end of Saturday.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by tataiwo09(m): 4:49pm On Jan 15, 2016
career advice for ur younger brother sir, who graduated with 2.1 in urban and Regional planning....thanks in advance sir
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 7:19am On Jan 16, 2016
Gerrard59:

Apologies. I have been very busy and though I saw it, I want to take my time in reviewing it. Promise you before end of Saturday.

Thank God today is Saturday grin
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Gerrard59(m): 9:12pm On Jan 16, 2016
simiolu1:

Thank God today is Saturday grin

Reviewed.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 9:28pm On Jan 16, 2016
Gerrard59:

Reviewed.

Whatever you want, all rounds on me. Seen and replied. grin
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Mich43l(m): 10:32am On Jan 21, 2016
Interesting.. So whats the difference between a job and a career??
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by kalunomics(m): 9:34am On Jan 29, 2016
darellrivers:

I know a bit about the commonwealth scholarship as I was a Commonwealth Professional Fellow (scholars are sponsored to school, Fellows are sponsored to work in the UK). The scholarship is open to those who had first class or second class upper and takes care of everything (Fees AND living expenses). There are different scholarships but the most common ones are
- Scholarships for Master’s and PhD study at UK universities (this is the one where you have to be nominated by the Nigerian Government- it is the one that ministry of education advertises http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/scholarships-developing-cw/)

-Shared Scholarships for Master’s study at selected UK universities (here the commonwealth scholarship commission AND specific UK universities SHARE the funding. This has nothing to do with the Nigerian Government). This is however, restricted to certain courses in certain universities- you can check the prospectus http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/prospectus-shared-scholarships-2014.pdf
search for the course you are interested in doing, the university that offers scholarship for your course, go to the school's website and find out criteria for the shared scholarship.

e.g. The University of Strathclyde in Scotland is one of the schools in the shared scholarship scheme (see the prospectus link above) and they offer the scholarship for the following courses
• Advanced Computer Science
• Applied Economics
• Advanced Mechanical Engineering
• Electronic and Electrical Engineering
• Environmental Engineering
• Finance
• Forensic Science
• International Law and Sustainable Development
• Internet Law and Policy
• Pharmaceutical Analysis

If you are interested in one of these courses, all you need to do is go to strathclyde's website, find out what their criteria is and apply.

So make good use of the internet smiley and for more information, go to http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/

It is a great scholarship- I thoroughly enjoyed my Fellowship Programme

Hope this was helpful
Good day Darellrivers. I was searching for clues or any article that might help me in applying for the Common Wealth Professional Fellowship Scholarship when I stumbled back into the thread that motivated me to get the job I'm doing now. Impressive huh? You guys are doing a great job here.
Since you're an alumni of the programme, I would really appreciate it if you can allow me to borrow few minutes of your precious time to guide me on how to go about the application so as to be successful. Thanks in anticipation

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 8:14pm On Feb 04, 2016
kalunomics:

Good day Darellrivers. I was searching for clues or any article that might help me in applying for the Common Wealth Professional Fellowship Scholarship
Hi Kalunomics

The Commonwealth Professional Fellowship is NOT a scholarship. It is aimed at "mid-career professionals from developing Commonwealth countries to spend a period of time with a UK host organisation working in their field for a programme of professional development" (http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/professional-fellowships/).

Are you looking at the Commonwealth Scholarship (to go study in the UK) OR the Professional Fellowship (to go work briefly in the UK)?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by stephen2016: 7:55pm On Feb 13, 2016
Please I need some advice from the gurus here, I graduated with a 2.2/ 3.34 in Mechanical Engineering, I am presently doing my NYSC. Before you drop and advice, just know that my greatest passion is designing, but i dont know if there is a market for that. I dont really like the idea of working for somebody, I just want to be my own boss and do my own things.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 10:03am On Feb 15, 2016
stephen2016:
Please I need some advice from the gurus here, I graduated with a 2.2/ 3.34 in Mechanical Engineering, I am presently doing my NYSC. Before you drop and advice, just know that my greatest passion is designing, but i dont know if there is a market for that. I dont really like the idea of working for somebody, I just want to be my own boss and do my own things.

If Nairaland is your testing ground to know if there's a market for designers, then you're on a long thing.
Secondly, Design as a word is quite vague or at best describes a large industry.

Are you talking about product design, logo design, web design, industrial design?

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by stephen2016: 6:45pm On Feb 15, 2016
simiolu1:

If Nairaland is your testing ground to know if there's a market for designers, then you're on a long thing.
Secondly, Design as a word is quite vague or at best describes a large industry.

Are you talking about product design, logo design, web design, industrial design?

I am talking about product design. Logo design and architectural designs . those are my flares
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by simiolu1(m): 1:18am On Feb 16, 2016
stephen2016:

I am talking about product design. Logo design and architectural designs . those are my flares
(flairs)

Ok. For product design, kindly read about Jonathan Ive (Apple's Chief Design Officer). Surprisingly, this guy went to a design school; not the traditional university. Unconfirmed rumours say he is the highest paid executive at Apple today.

Logo design--Paul Rand. That man's portfolio humbles logo designers till tomorrow.

Architectural design? Don't know the big names in that field.

However, if design is your thing, then you had better start taking it serious. I studied Physics and graduated with a 2.1. A guy in my class who graduated with a 2.2 was probably the first guy that got employed in my class. He simply took his design and drawing skills serious. Way back in 100level, this guy would sketch comics with pencil and biro. By the time we were in final year, he had moved to colouring the comics with Photoshop and Illustrator. When he went for his interview, he only showed the panel his portfolio on his blog and voila; he got the job.

This link is a link to one of his comics which was posted by a friend of his.
https://www.nairaland.com/2411482/introducing-penzu-comics

My advice:

1. Get familiar with the softwares you are going to need to ply your trade.
2. Learn to draw if you can't. Believe me, drawing makes design easy.
3. If you have the funds, get enrolled in an online design class to know the basics of what the branch of design is about. If you don't have the funds, you can use torrent engines to look for tutorials.
4. If you have the funds, get a drawing tablet like Wacom.

I love designing myself but its not my thing. However when I play with logo design, results like the image below happen. The logo was meant for a business venture between a friend and I. However, the venture was D.O.A grin

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by kalunomics(m): 9:02pm On Apr 13, 2016
darellrivers:

Hi Kalunomics

The Commonwealth Professional Fellowship is NOT a scholarship. It is aimed at "mid-career professionals from developing Commonwealth countries to spend a period of time with a UK host organisation working in their field for a programme of professional development" (http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/professional-fellowships/).

Are you looking at the Commonwealth Scholarship (to go study in the UK) OR the Professional Fellowship (to go work briefly in the UK)?
Thank you very much for your reply Darellrivers. I'm looking forward to working briefly there and being conferred a fellow in the field

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.