Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,900 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 (14514 Views)

16 Nigerian Iventors With Remarkable Inventions Worldwide / Inventors Who Were Killed By Their Own Inventions / Top Five Nigerian Scientists And Their Great Inventions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by wnr4r(m): 10:58am On Jan 01, 2014
Year 2013 was awesome, it was a year that ushered in amazing inventions that tried to bridge the gap between our digital and day-to-day lives. Below are the list of my favorite Tech Inventions of 2013, These devices are set to change the world we live in come 2014. Check them out and feel free to add your favourites to my list.

The Game Stick

The Game Stick is the world’s most portable TV game console, the size of a USB Flash drive and costs $79.99. It connects directly to your TV via HDMI allowing you to play your favourite Android games in Full HD with the aid of its own Bluetooth controller. Learn more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameStick

Tile

Tile is a tiny GPS gadget that you place in your wallet, bag etc and lets you know their location using a mobile app. Lost your bag, wallet, keys?? You can locate them via your phone. Learn more http://www.thetileapp.com/#features

The GravityLight

The GravityLight is a lamp that doesn't require any electrical power source, it works with gravity. All you have to do to make it work is to attach something heavy to a cord, this pulls a rope slowly through a number of gears and can power a bulb for 30 mins. It can be used over and over again, anytime. Learn more http://deciwatt.org/

The Motorised Bike Wheel

This wheel called "FlyKly Smart Wheel" is a special wheel that attaches to any bike wheel and turns your bike into an e-bike. It is a cool way of giving your bike an e-boost with a top speed of 20 mph which can be controlled using a smartwatch or phone. Learn more http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flykly/flykly-smart-wheel

Google Glass

Google Glass is one out of many Google's pet projects, it is a wearable mobile computer that displays information like a smartphone in hands-free format, can communicate with the Internet via voice commands, take pictures, records what you see, shows direction etc its just like a digital companion. Based on several reviews i have read about this this gadget, i'll say its amazing. Its one of the devices to shake the world this coming year. Watch Out! Learn more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Glass

The Oculus Rift

The Oculus Rift is an awesome gadget for gamers, it is a set of virtual reality goggles that make you feel you're in another world. It is a virtual reality device that puts you inside video games, Amazing! isnt it? turn your head in any direction and you'll look around the game world in real time, you can run around, fight, race and fly, doing things that couldn't be done easily in the real world. The Oculus Rift works with your computer or mobile devices. Learn more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift

The Nvidia Shield

The Nvidia Shield is a gaming device brought to you courtesy the graphics hardware giant Nvidia, it consists of a regular eight-button console-size gamepad with dual analog sticks, a 5-inch (130 mm) touchscreen display with 1280x720 pixel resolution running on Android 4.2.1. learn more http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/31/nvidia-shield-review/

The Ubuntu Edge

The Ubuntu Edge is a proposed hybrid smartphone by Canonical Ltd. But the Ubuntu Edge is more than a smartphone, I call it 'Trinity' (3-in-1), it is a device that can function as a smartphone (dual booting Ubuntu Touch and Android) and can also be operated as a Desktop PC running Ubuntu (Linux) OS with the aid of an external keyboard, monitor and mouse attached. Watch out for this gadget in 2014! Learn more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edge

Over to you! Kindly add to my list, I would like to know other Amazing Tech Inventions in 2013 that i have omitted.

Source: http://syntocode.com/amazing-tech-inventions-of-2013/

13 Likes

Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Spanishmario(m): 11:06am On Jan 01, 2014
Hmmm

***edited***
@ last m first 2 comment...dis yr z gonna b xoxoxoxo gr8...fenkz y'll
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jan 01, 2014
Coprocessors and the unique features they enable

Every contemporary smartphone comes with a system-on-chip of some kind under the hood – a pretty sophisticated single chip that hosts the main application processor along with a graphics processor, a sound processor, a multimedia processor, and a processor that handles image data from the camera, among other modules. This is called integration and it is a good thing – combining all these components on a single piece of silicon saves power and increases performance. However, Motorola and Apple dared to take things to the next level by outfitting their own SoC designs with coprocessors dedicated to tasks that aren't yet integrated into most common SoCs. To be more specific, the X8 Mobile Computing System inside the Motorola Moto X comes with a couple of coprocessors, one of which is responsible for natural language processing while the other handles what Motorola refers to as contextual computing. Apple has its M7 coprocessor ticking alongside the A7 inside the iPhone 5s. Its function is to monitor data from the phone's sensors and to offload the processing of that data from the main CPU. The benefits? Well, you get a number of unique features made possible by the extra modules. The Moto X, for example, listens to voice commands constantly, while the M7 turns the iPhone into a device capable of precisely monitoring the user's physical activity and will even allow applications to recognize when the user is driving, walking, running, or sleeping. Best of all, these features can be on at all times without that having a detrimental effect on battery life. Long story short, a well-implemented coprocessor can teach a smartphone some new, unique, and pretty neat tricks.

Touch ID

Yes, we know that the iPhone 5s isn't the first smartphone to come with a built-in fingerprint scanner. However, it is the first smartphone to have the feature built in and integrated in a way that makes it not frustrating to use. The scanner is accurate, it does not require the user to swipe their finger, it works even when the user's finger is placed at an angle, and it is easy to operate being built into the home button. And if that's not enough, it can be used not only for unlocking the iPhone 5s, but also for authorizing App Store purchases with a fingerprint instead of using a password. Simply put, Apple showed us how a smartphone fingerprint scanner should be executed.

The "self-healing" LG G Flex

It may sound like something out of a sci-fi movie, but it is actually true and it works. The LG G F lex smartphone has a back plate that can recover from light scratches, which are "healed" as if by magic in a matter of minutes. Think placing the phone and your keys in the same pocket – this kind of damage the G Flex should easily recover from. Sure, this kind of tech isn't new, but the G Flex happens to be the first smartphone to take advantage of it. Hopefully, it won't be the last, and maybe one day this "self-healing" technology will be able to make even more serious dents disappear. Check out this video demonstration of the LG G Flex's self-healing abilities in action

4 Likes

Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Emmyk(m): 9:02am On Jan 02, 2014
I like these. smiley

1 Like

Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by NessaFresh(f): 9:18pm On Jan 02, 2014
I see
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by aieromon(m): 9:22pm On Jan 02, 2014
Nice inventions
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Jensenelizz(m): 9:23pm On Jan 02, 2014
You forgot to add the jensen elizz's pandora os......

1)This os has the ability to kill ur ex girlfriends using fatality
2)It can nak a babe when you dnt feel like
3)It can toast any girl u want
4)It can make you wear versace using voice input
5)It can make you acquire wealth without joining illuminati
6)It allows the user to switch os frm pandora to android,ios,windows,ubuntu,brew,java,blackberry kindle fire,symbian,bada and many more......

Developed,designed and created by jensen elizz
All rights reserved

1 Like

Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Jenomtwist(m): 9:25pm On Jan 02, 2014
we follow celebrate
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by xtervaganza(m): 9:25pm On Jan 02, 2014
This post deserves an audience

The op deserves a bear hug.....

Thank you for this post & where can I get the game stick?

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Henrypraise: 9:26pm On Jan 02, 2014
Damn des oyibo pple av gon far ooo, we ar here devicing new political parties and generating, developin new schemes/ propaganda to bring down GEJ or destroy Buhari. Or we ar waitin for a new comedian, solid rap musician or actor/ actress to entertain us all in d name of "oyel" mony, Den later we will cry for unemployment. O boy, make I go strategize on my ludo game.

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by nickz(m): 9:26pm On Jan 02, 2014
Super cool!! Have only seen ubuntu and gravity light
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Dannylux: 9:28pm On Jan 02, 2014
They look good.
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by saasala(m): 9:28pm On Jan 02, 2014
Booked...coming back
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Adolak(m): 9:28pm On Jan 02, 2014
I was here
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jan 02, 2014
Cool gadgets

1 Like

Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by YesBwoss: 9:29pm On Jan 02, 2014
Really cool gadgets. The one I'd really love to have would be the Google Glass. I'm sure The Oculus Rift would blow my mind too.
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jan 02, 2014
tongue Juju power tongue tongue

Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Icudkill: 9:30pm On Jan 02, 2014
interestin
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by godwinony(m): 9:31pm On Jan 02, 2014
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Cashio(m): 9:32pm On Jan 02, 2014
1st to talk
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by estyvino(m): 9:32pm On Jan 02, 2014
It's a tech breakthrough for Nigeria that Innoson Vehicle can produce any type of auto mobile. 2014 promises to be superb. Hit like if you do celebrate Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by victorazy(m): 9:34pm On Jan 02, 2014
Oculus is amazing I've seen it, it has something like tray where u enter as u move round on it, running race but goin no where.
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Psychedelia(m): 9:36pm On Jan 02, 2014
A friend of mine got the nVidia Shield last October. Pretty pricey device, and I must admit, quite solid. But I don't quite see myself coughing out that kind of money on a hand-held gaming machine. It also doesn't help matters that the games developed for this console have been thus far underwhelming.

Now, Ubuntu Edge, on the other hand, I liiiike.
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by emaboi(m): 9:36pm On Jan 02, 2014
WELCOME TO PLANET EARTH WHERE...... technology is going to a place nobody know's

1 Like

Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 02, 2014
02/01/2013

1 Like

Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by ViktorMartins(m): 9:37pm On Jan 02, 2014
Oh my Jeez!!! The guys creating and developing these devices are super crazy. I guess we dont have the same brain neurons; thinking is superb, execution is fantastic!
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Psychedelia(m): 9:40pm On Jan 02, 2014
ViktorMartins: Oh my Jeez!!! The guys creating and developing these devices are super crazy. I guess we dont have the same brain neurons; thinking is superb, execution is fantastic!

Nah. Nigerians are busy creating tribalism. Spewing garbage on the internet. "When this country breaks up, where will Itsekiri go?" "Nobody touches our oil!"
Shameless.

4 Likes

Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by jreyez(m): 9:43pm On Jan 02, 2014
The Google Nexus 5 (with one of the world's best gaming gpu) cool
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by rioemmanuel(m): 9:48pm On Jan 02, 2014
Truly Amazing
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by fr3do(m): 9:49pm On Jan 02, 2014
Ubuntu got my attention
Re: Amazing Tech Inventions Of 2013 by Greatihex(m): 9:49pm On Jan 02, 2014
The end is near indeed.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

2go Version 4.0 Download On Www.2go.im / Meet Shanice, The Holographic Receptionist At London Council Building / Man Snatched By A Crocodile In Australia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.