Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,084 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

"How Large Was Noah's Ark?" - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" (51143 Views)

Of What Use Was Noah's Flood If It Couldn't Stop Wickedness? / Real Reasons Titanic Sank And Noah's Ark Sailed / Are Large/Mega-churches Biblical? How Large Is A Church Supposed To Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by redcap: 8:17pm On Jan 05, 2014
Isotope dating method Will likely give an accurate time.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by mazaje(m): 11:13am On Jan 06, 2014
redcap: Isotope dating method Will likely give an accurate time.

They won't believe you as long as the dating disagrees with the bible, they use the same dating method to show how the bible is true, but when it diagree with them then it should be discarded. . .Ridiculous people. . .

2 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:42am On Jan 07, 2014
peterphd:

How was the ark ventilated? Only one window on the uppermost deck wouldn't be enough and there were no windows on lower decks.

The Bible was not specific as to the specification of the window on the Ark and I believe that the ventillation wasn't only necessary to provide fresh air but for the dissipation of body heat.

A basic, non-mechanical ventilation system would do for this purpose. The density of the animals on the Ark in contrast to the volume of the enclosed space was much less than we find in some modern industrial farms that are used to keeping stock that are raised for food e.g Chicken farms.

It is also reasonable to believe that one relatively small window would have adequately ventilated the Ark and if there were a window running along the top centre section, which the biblical description allows, all occupants on board would be even more comfortable.

It is also interesting to note that the convectional movement of air, driven by the difference in temperature between the warm blooded animals and the cold interior surfaces would have been enough for the air flow.

The wind blowing into the window would have efficiently facilitated the ventilation. Another point is the ventilation be provided by wave motion or even a small number of animals harnessed to slow moving rotary fans.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:38am On Jan 07, 2014
Evil Brain:

Are you now actually trying to use evolution and speciation to explain the ark? So now you believe in evolution abi? If I were you, I'd keep that can of worms closed. If we agree that evolution is real, then Genesis has far bigger problems than the ark story.

Who is said evolution has anything to do with it?

Evil Brain:

The sizes of Zheng He's treasure ships is grossly exaggerated. Most historians believe that the largest was no more than 70 metres or so in length, half the size of the ark. Plus history records that they were only used in rivers because they were too dangerous to sail in the open sea.

The Tessarakonterres is a legendary ship known only from the writings of Plutarch and Athenaeus. Let me quote what Plutarch said about her:

Even Plutarch knew that a wooden ship that size couldn't possibly have sailed. Your two examples only illustrate how ridiculous the idea of a 137 metre wooden boat is.

I don't know what you are responding to. I mentioned the Chinese treasure ships of Yung He in the 1400s. At first, the historians dismissed ancient Greek claims that the Tessarakonteres was 425 feet long but as more information surfaced the reputation of the ancient shipbuilders were appreciated.

The Greeks had access to an extraordinary method of planking that was lost for centuries and only recently brought to light by marine technology.

Noah's Ark is near the maximum size that is known to be possible for a wooden vessel which is: 510 feet.

Evil Brain:

First of all, that study was funded by the Korea association of creation research, a Christian creationist group thus calling into question its objectivity ab initio.

The 1993 scientific study headed by Dr. Hong, at the world-class research centre KRISO, based in Daejeon, South Korea. Dr. Hong is the director general of the facility and claims that "life came from the sea," which is obviously not the words of a creationist on a mission to promote Noah's Ark and Flood. The fact that he endorsed the seaworthiness of Noah's Ark obviously didn't do damage to his credibility except that you atheists try to discredit him for your ulterior reasons.

Evil Brain:

Secondly, if you'd bothered to read as far as the second paragraph of your Korean study's abstract, you'd have seen that it was done with 1/50 scale models. That automatically removes the ark's most obvious flaw, that wood cannot possibly survive the stresses sea waves put on a ship of anything even close to that size. It would have snapped like a toothpick in a crocodile's mouth within minutes.

The scale of the Ark is huge yet remarkably realistic when compared to the largest wooden ships in history which you erroneously don't believe exists. They discovered that the proportions are even more amazing in the fact that the are just like a modern cargo ship. The 1993 Korean study was unable to find fault with the specification of Noah's Ark and thus rubbishes your claim to discredit the Bible's account of the Flood and Ark.

Evil Brain:

Third, the study made huge assumptions about the shape and architecture of the ark and didn't take into account the technological limitations of the period.

Read Genesis 6:14-16 for the specifications of Noah's Ark. There were more divine specifications given to Moses which were even more detailed such as the construction of the Tabernacle.

Evil Brain:

Fourth, the dimensions of the ark (what the study compared) wasn't even the best among the 13 possibilities tested. It doesn't say much about say much about gods engineering skills when some random Korean can come up with a ship design that's more stable than his.

Noah was more intelligent than you are today and could have filled in the details that we are just discovering.

Evil Brain:

Your study is worth diddly squat.

Nothing in their newly depicted Ark contradicts scripture, even though it may be different from more accepted designs. But this design, in fact, shows just how reasonable the Genesis account is as it depicts a stable, comfortable and seaworthy vessel that was capable of fulfilling all the requirements stated in Scripture either your evil brain likes it or not. tongue
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by peterphd(m): 7:50am On Jan 07, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The Bible was not specific as to the specification of the window on the Ark and I believe that the ventillation wasn't only necessary to provide fresh air but for the dissipation of body heat.

A basic, non-mechanical ventilation system would do for this purpose. The density of the animals on the Ark in contrast to the volume of the enclosed space was much less than we find in some modern industrial farms that are used to keeping stock that are raised for food e.g Chicken farms.

It is also reasonable to believe that one relatively small window would have adequately ventilated the Ark and if there were a window running along the top centre section, which the biblical description allows, all occupants on board would be even more comfortable.

It is also interesting to note that the convectional movement of air, driven by the difference in temperature between the warm blooded animals and the cold interior surfaces would have been enough for the air flow.

The wind blowing into the window would have efficiently facilitated the ventilation. Another point is the ventilation be provided by wave motion or even a small number of animals harnessed to slow moving rotary fans.
I don't understand this one but nice try.Tell me how air got into the 2nd and bottom decks since they would be underwater.Air wouldn't go down the basement you know.Hot air rises.I don't see how the air would be circulated by convection so show us.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by jayriginal: 8:53am On Jan 07, 2014
peterphd:
I don't understand this one but nice try.Tell me how air got into the 2nd and bottom decks since they would be underwater.Air wouldn't go down the basement you know.Hot air rises.I don't see how the air would be circulated by convection so show us.

Lol. He is pulling matter out of the south end of his alimentary canal.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:37am On Jan 07, 2014
peterphd:

You asked how the Ark was ventilated and I gave you a number of ways the animals could breathe. I posited that the ventilation was not only necessary to provide fresh air but more importantly, to dissipate body heat. I went ahead to give the following points that I believe covered your objections, that:

1. A basic, non-mechanical ventilation system was sufficient for the Ark;

2. That the density of animals on the Ark when compared to the volume of enclosed space, was lesser than what we find in our contemporary Chicken farms;

3. Since the Scriptures is not specific as to the kind and size of window on the Ark, it is reasonable to believe that one relatively small window would have been sufficient for the ventilated Ark;

4. There could also be a window running along the top centre section, which the biblical description allows and thus making all passengers aboard more comfortable;

5. The convective movement of air which was driven by temperature differences between the warm-blooded animals and the cold interior surfaces, would have been sufficient enough to drive the flow of air;

6. Wind blowing into the window would have enhanced the ventilation further;

7. Supplimentary ventilation could have been provided by wave motion or even a small number of animals harnessed to slow-moving rotary fans.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:38am On Jan 07, 2014
jayriginal:

Lol. He is pulling matter out of the south end of his alimentary canal.

Don't let me confuse you with the facts because your mind is already made up, yes? undecided
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by jayriginal: 12:30pm On Jan 07, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Don't let me confuse you with the facts because your mind is already made up, yes? undecided

Lol. What facts man? Youre making it up as you go.

3 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:02pm On Jan 07, 2014
jayriginal:

Lol. What facts man? Youre making it up as you go.

You must be a funny man. Where did I make it up? grin
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Orikinla(m): 1:10pm On Jan 07, 2014
They just found the remains of the ark and the dimensions were as accurate as the biblical account.
http://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/470/Noah-s-Ark-Has-Been-Found-Why-Are-They-Keeping-Us-In-The-Dark-
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by mkmyers45(m): 1:11pm On Jan 07, 2014
Not front page material....
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by mkmyers45(m): 1:13pm On Jan 07, 2014
Orikinla: They just found the remains of the ark and the dimensions were as accurate as the biblical account.

where?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by roselynbas(f): 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2014
Evil Brain:

The numbers I quoted refer to the species alive today. If they weren't all admitted to the ark, then how did they survive?

And no, the saltwater fish could not have survived. Very few fish species can survive such drastic changes in salinity. The vast majority would have died long before all the land was covered.

I noticed that you didn't address the fact that there simply isn't enough space for even a tiny fraction of those animals to fit on the ark as described in the bible. Even a hundred arks couldnt have fit all the food (and shït) they would have gone through in a month, not to talk of a year. Also there's the altitude problem. And the post deluge food problem. And the problem of which one of Noah's family members was HIV positi
I didn't even ask how all the animals only found on isolated islands and continents (like kangaroos, ostriches, lemurs and the various species of giant tortoises) managed to find their way to the middle east to climb into the ark. Did they swim across the oceans? Did they swim back after the flood? And how come kangaroos and lemurs didn't leave a single descendant behind in Eurasia or Africa during their long walk/swim back to Australia/Madagascar? You'd think you'd find every class of animal living around the area where the ark landed instead of species being geographically isolated the way they are.

Like I said before, I'm not doubting the story. The Bible is obviously 100% correct in every way. I just want to clear up a few grey areas.

I have an answer for the HIV question. It is a biotechnological weapon created by man. grin
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by roselynbas(f): 1:17pm On Jan 07, 2014
Why not try to make heaven, when you get there I believe God will be more than glad to answer your question. smiley
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by MrAboki: 1:18pm On Jan 07, 2014
Joshthefirst: ^^^

He does.

And not all insects were admitted into the ark mind you.

If you can mannage to not lalala and examine this noah and the ark story even scientifically, you'll realize its remarkable.

And only terrestrials were admitted. Some fish would have survived though. Majority of the rest would be covered in sand and silt washed suddenly upon them.

Majority of lifeforms would fossilize, majority of the land would be scarred by the moving waters.

Fishes.. Salt water and fresh water fishes..

Animals.. Canivores and herbivores. Warm climate animals and cold climate animals.

Insects..

Birds..

Etc..

Na wah o..
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:20pm On Jan 07, 2014
jayriginal:

Olaadegbu, youve been owned and served by a pastafarian!

You wished. cheesy

jayriginal:

Explain how two lions would of their own produce the house cat, the mountain lion, the leopard, the tiger, the jaguar etc

Or you can explain how two insects would produce the diverse species of insects that abound today.

How about the mammals bro? I guess he didnt carry any along with him because humans are mammals. All this while evolutionists have been saying that we humans are descended/have common ancestry from/with apes and Olaadegbu knew all the while that he and his "kind" gave birth to apes (and every other mammal). Follow up question. If your evolution is true, why dont we see humans giving birth to different mammals? Oh wait, I seem to recall different stories in the news about humans giving birth to all manner of things. Praise god!

Natural selections is different from the lie of Darwinian evolution that you've been sold.

jayriginal:

Now where is that evolution vs god video again grin

You can watch --> http:///Evolution-Vs-God-YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0u3-2CGOMQ

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by mkmyers45(m): 1:21pm On Jan 07, 2014
roselynbas: Why not try to make heaven, when you get there I believe God will be more than glad to answer your question. smiley

Really?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Tuminibody: 1:21pm On Jan 07, 2014
Chai, this people sha, if u stick to this your logical and scientific theories, it wil be a case of 'the more you look, the less you see'
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by optimism91(m): 1:22pm On Jan 07, 2014
Evil Brain: How did Noah fit 2 million insects (1 million species x 2) into the ark? And how did be manage to fit 12,000 amphibians, 20,000 birds, 11,000 mammals, 16,000 reptiles and god knows how many crustaceans, arachnids and mollusks into a boat that must have already been overflowing with insects? Where did he find space to keep a years worth of food for all those animals? How did he keep the meat for the Lions, tigers and other carnivores fresh for a whole year? Why did he take mosquitoes, tapeworms, guinea worms and the HIV virus aboard the ark? Did he infect himself with all those parasites, or did he force his wife and children to carry them? How come all the animals didn't freeze to death at 9,000 metres altitude (the height of Mount Everest which must have been underwater) Where did they find oxygen to breathe at that height? What did all the animals eat after getting off the ark? All the plants must have died after a year underwater, and all the animals would have drowned so no food for herbivores or carnivores. How come all the fish in the ocean survived? Saltwater fish can't survive in freshwater and the ocean would have been massively diluted with all that rain. Or did the ark also have a salty fish tank with space for 60,000 fish (30,000 species x 2)? And how did he feed all those fish?

Not that I'm doubting this ark story mind you. Its in the Bible after all, so it must be true. I'm just curious about a few technicalities. I'm sure you have good explanations for all of them.
With God, all things are possible.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jan 07, 2014
Evil Brain: How did Noah fit 2 million insects (1 million species x 2) into the ark? And how did be manage to fit 12,000 amphibians, 20,000 birds, 11,000 mammals, 16,000 reptiles and god knows how many crustaceans, arachnids and mollusks into a boat that must have already been overflowing with insects? Where did he find space to keep a years worth of food for all those animals? How did he keep the meat for the Lions, tigers and other carnivores fresh for a whole year? Why did he take mosquitoes, tapeworms, guinea worms and the HIV virus aboard the ark? Did he infect himself with all those parasites, or did he force his wife and children to carry them? How come all the animals didn't freeze to death at 9,000 metres altitude (the height of Mount Everest which must have been underwater) Where did they find oxygen to breathe at that height? What did all the animals eat after getting off the ark? All the plants must have died after a year underwater, and all the animals would have drowned so no food for herbivores or carnivores. How come all the fish in the ocean survived? Saltwater fish can't survive in freshwater and the ocean would have been massively diluted with all that rain. Or did the ark also have a salty fish tank with space for 60,000 fish (30,000 species x 2)? And how did he feed all those fish?

Not that I'm doubting this ark story mind you. Its in the Bible after all, so it must be true. I'm just curious about a few technicalities. I'm sure you have good explanations for all of them.
lol, God is a God of possibilities.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by 1stola: 1:25pm On Jan 07, 2014
OLAADEGBU: Someone Said: "How large was Noah's ark?"

Answers:

We know the Ark must have been at least 450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high. Using a longer cubit, it would have been over 500 feet in length. In the Western world, wooden sailing ships never got much longer than about 330 feet, yet much earlier the ancient Greeks were building vessels at least this size. China built huge wooden ships in the 1400s that may have been as large as the Ark. The biblical Ark is one of the largest wooden ships of all time, a mid-sized cargo ship even by today’s standards.

The Ark had three decks (see Gen. 6:16), so this gives you an idea of its overall size. With a capacity of 1.5 million cubic feet, it would have had sufficient room for all the people, animals (kinds), and supplies.

According to the bible, Noah was a Drunk...
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by madnigerian: 1:28pm On Jan 07, 2014

Answers:

We know the Ark must have been at least 450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high. Using a longer cubit, it would have been over 500 feet in length. In the Western world, wooden sailing ships never got much longer than about 330 feet, yet much earlier the ancient Greeks were building vessels at least this size. China built huge wooden ships in the 1400s that may have been as large as the Ark. The biblical Ark is one of the largest wooden ships of all time, a mid-sized cargo ship even by today’s standards.

The Ark had three decks (see Gen. 6:16), so this gives you an idea of its overall size. With a capacity of 1.5 million cubic feet, it would have had sufficient room for all the people, animals (kinds), and supplies.

Some plausible answers....

1.The Ark was bigger than we thought...since humans were taller back then

2.The Ark was probably a spaceship.....there is a school of thought that posits that the people who lived in Noah's day were scientifially advanced, and lost all that during the flood.[url]http://www.barry.warmkessel.com/NOAH.html#4
[/url]
3.The flood was local......research proves that there was a major local flood thousands of years ago.

Anyway....all the above is speculative!
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by kado(m): 1:35pm On Jan 07, 2014

how dıd the ship manage to hold shark and whale? Why did he save snakes? Pls.i need answers?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by madnigerian: 1:38pm On Jan 07, 2014
[size=29pt]Could Noah's Ark Hold all the Animals?[/size]

One issue that is often raised against Christianity is Noah's Ark and the Flood. Did it really happen? Did the flood really cover the whole world? Is there enough water on earth to cover all the land? Could the ark really hold two of every kind of animal in the world? Though these might be intimidating questions, the answer to each is a resounding, "Yes."

God said to Noah in Genesis 6:14-16, "So make yourself an ark of cypress wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. Make a roof for it and finish the ark to within 18 inches of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks" (NIV). According to God's Word, Noah built the ark. Eight people entered it and all humanity died in the ensuing flood.

Did the flood really happen? Yes. Jesus said in Matt. 24:37-39 that the flood happened. If you can't trust Jesus, you can't trust anyone. As far as physical evidence goes there are numerous sedimentary deposits world-wide which suggest a universal flood. There are countless fossil deposits world-wide (fossilization occurs when organisms are buried rapidly within sediment.). Every major culture has a flood legend. Of over 200 flood legends, 95% say the flood was universal; 70% say survival depended upon a boat; 66% say the wickedness of man was the cause; 88% say there was a favored family; 66% say the remnant was warned; 67% say animals were also saved; 57% say the survivors ended up on a mountain; 35% say birds were sent out; 9% say eight people were saved; and 7% mention a rainbow.

Is there enough water to flood the entire earth? Absolutely! If the earth were perfectly spherical the oceans would cover all the land by more than a mile in depth. The biblical account is that it rained for 40 days and nights in which the floodgates of the heavens were opened up as well as the fountains from the earth (Gen. 7:11;8:2). There is a theory known as the canopy theory that states it had never rained on the earth up to the time of Noah and that a mist watered the plants (Gen. 2:6). The theory goes on to state that there may have been a heavy cloud or water vapor layer over the entire earth and that it was this canopy of water that became torrential rains during the flood period.

Did the flood cover all the earth? Yes it did. The depth of the flood waters is described in Gen. 7:19 as covering "all the high mountains under the entire heavens." Also, there are many references in the Bible to it being global: Gen. 6:1,4-5,12,13,17,19;7:4,6,10,19;8:3;9:15. There were 40 days of rain (Gen. 7:12), 110 days of flooding (Gen. 7:24) and 221 more days of draining (Gen. 8:1-5,13-14). That is a total of 371 days of flooding. That could not be a local flood.

Could the ark really contain all the animals of the world? Again the answer is "Yes." But let's look at the last question in more detail. The ark took about 120 years to build. Noah was 480 years old when he began the work and he had the help of his wife, three sons, and his son's wives. He probably hired local people to help in the construction.

The dimensions of the ark have a ratio of six to one. The Ark was six times longer than it was wide. This is the best ratio for modern ship building. Model stability tests have shown that the design is stable for waves up to 200 feet high and that the ark could have rotated 90 degrees and still righted itself.

The volume of the ark would be 450 feet long by 75 feet wide by 45 feet high. This equals 1,518,750 cubic feet and is comparable to 569 modern railroad boxcars. Therefore each boxcar, by comparison, would be 1,518,750 divided by 569, or 2,669 cubic feet of space. The average size of an animal on the earth is smaller than a cat. But, just to keep it safe let's consider the average size of an animal to be a sheep. The average double deck stock car holds 240 sheep. The Ark capacity would be about 569 x 240 equaling 136,560 animals of that size. However, that still is not accurate for our needs. Since most birds, reptiles, and amphibians are much smaller, let's double the boxcar capacity for them. Therefore, the boxcars could each hold 480 different kinds of birds, reptiles, amphibians.

Noah had to take two or seven of every kind of animal on the earth. Though it is not really known exactly what is meant by a biblical kind, it is generally considered to be animals that are fertile within their own groups. Any dog can breed with any dog, therefore, dogs are one kind. It would only be necessary to bring representatives of each kind since the parents could produce offspring that would carry the genetic information for all variations within their kind.

Classification . . . . Number of Species . . . . Number of Kinds on the Ark
Mammals . . . . . . . . .3,700 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3,700 (a few live in water).
Birds . . . . . . . . . . . . 8,600 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 60,200 (seven pairs according to Gen. 7:3)
Reptiles. . . . . . . . . . .6,300 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6,300
Amphibians. . . . . . . .2,500 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,500
Fishes. . . . . . . . . . . .20,600. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .zero
Other marine life . . . 192,605. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .zero
Insects . . . . . . . . . . . 850,000 . . . (Since insects are very small, and a great many could be stored in a small area, calculation would be difficult.)
Total . . . . . . . . . . . .1,072,305 . . . . . . . . . . . . .72,700
The total number of mammals would be 3,700 times two pair which equals 7,400 animals. 7,400 divided by 240 = 31 boxcars used.

Since Gen. 7:3 says to take seven pairs of every bird then the total for birds would be 8,600 times two pair times 7 or 120,400 animals. 120,400 x 480 = 250 boxcars. The reptiles and amphibians would be 6,300 plus 2,500 or 8,800. 8,800 times two pair equals 17,600 animals. 17,600 divided by 480 = 37 boxcars.

The total number of boxcars used would be 318 with a total number of animals at 145,400. There would be 251 boxcars left over. That means that only 56% of the ark would be used for storing the animals. Obviously, then, the rest of the space would be used for food for the people and animals and sleeping quarters. In addition, considering that insects are extremely small, it is easily conceivable that they could be housed in part of the remaining space.

It should also be considered that many animals can hibernate. Additionally, predators and prey have been known to live peacefully together during situations of stress like fire, flood, or earthquake. In the Ark, animal behavior probably would have been different from normal daily life. Specialists in animal behavior have noted that animals can sense danger and have often migrated to escape it. Perhaps God used their migratory instincts to get them to the Ark.

Though this is only a brief analysis, it should present enough evidence that the Ark account is certainly within the realm of possibility.

SOURCE: [url]http://carm.org/could-noahs-ark-hold-all-animals

[/url]

2 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Donmichaelz(m): 1:40pm On Jan 07, 2014
whether the ark was 450 feet or less one thing i know him build Ark,and d ark Big if u are to examine all bible stories u would end up in ConfusionSEROSIS eg God made man out of dust oya explain its a gba be's theory(take it or leave it theory)
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by NovusHomo(m): 1:40pm On Jan 07, 2014

Answers:

Its a myth. It never existed.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by jayAjoku(m): 1:42pm On Jan 07, 2014
Evil Brain:

The numbers I quoted refer to the species alive today. If they weren't all admitted to the ark, then how did they survive?

And no, the saltwater fish could not have survived. Very few fish species can survive such drastic changes in salinity. The vast majority would have died long before all the land was covered.

I noticed that you didn't address the fact that there simply isn't enough space for even a tiny fraction of those animals to fit on the ark as described in the bible. Even a hundred arks couldnt have fit all the food (and shït) they would have gone through in a month, not to talk of a year. Also there's the altitude problem. And the post deluge food problem. And the problem of which one of Noah's family members was HIV positive.

I didn't even ask how all the animals only found on isolated islands and continents (like kangaroos, ostriches, lemurs and the various species of giant tortoises) managed to find their way to the middle east to climb into the ark. Did they swim across the oceans? Did they swim back after the flood? And how come kangaroos and lemurs didn't leave a single descendant behind in Eurasia or Africa during their long walk/swim back to Australia/Madagascar? You'd think you'd find every class of animal living around the area where the ark landed instead of species being geographically isolated the way they are.

Like I said before, I'm not doubting the story. The Bible is obviously 100% correct in every way. I just want to clear up a few grey areas.
answer this is there anything too hard for God...?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by madnigerian: 1:43pm On Jan 07, 2014
NovusHomo:

Its a myth. It never existed.

Scientifically speaking, it could be possible......[url]http://history.howstuffworks.com/history-vs-myth/noahs-ark.htm
[/url]
[size=29pt]Could Noah's ark really have happened?
by Cristen Conger

[/size]
One of the oldest stories in the world, the tale of Noah and his ark has crossed oceans and continents over millenniums. Versions float around in nearly every human culture, and Christianity, Islam and Judaism share the overarching plot points of a man, a flood and animals marching two by two. But for all of these similarities, whether the tale traces back to fact remains contentious among religious and scientific scholars alike.

As the story goes, God told Noah to build an enormous wooden boat and load a male and female of every animal species into it. Then God made it rain, flooding the entire earth with water to swallow up the wicked.

Before we dive into the question of whether Noah and his ark existed, let's first ask if there's any evidence of ancient worldwide flooding. Scientifically speaking, such a flood would be impossible. It would take more than five times the amount of water in the oceans and atmosphere to submerge the earth up to its mountaintops [source: Discovery Channel and BBC]. And if that amount of water entered the atmosphere, the resulting pressure would crush people's lungs [source: Discovery Channel and BBC].

But that doesn't mean the story is bogus -- just maybe not subject to literal interpretation. Instead, geologists William B.F. Ryan and Walter C. Pitman from Columbia University postulate that a great flood resulted from the rapid water level rise in the Black Sea as the last Ice Age tapered off around 5600 B.C. [source: Wilford].

Calling it the "Noah's Flood Hypothesis," the geologists theorized that water from melting ice caps overwhelmed the Mediterranean Sea, breaking through the Bosporus Strait to the Black Sea with Herculean force and flooding more than 60,000 s­quare miles (96,560 kilometers) of land [source: Wilford]. In 2007, other researchers found evidence that a melting ice cap from Greenland boosted global sea levels 4.5 feet (1.4 meters) between 8740 B.C. and 8160 B.C., causing people to migrate toward Europe to escape flooding in the same region [source: Turney and Brown].

But many marine geologists remain unconvinced of this theory, pointing to their own evidence of a more gradual Black Sea growth around 10,000 B.C. to 9,000 B.C. [source: Alsu et al.]. Schola­rs also think that the story links to the flooding of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers and point out that the hypothesis leaves no room for the characteristic rain. On the next page, we'll examine Noah as a person more closely to find out why this river theory may be correct.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by born2boink(m): 1:46pm On Jan 07, 2014
The Noar Ark, the fish that swallow jonah... God should help us
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by mkmyers45(m): 1:49pm On Jan 07, 2014
mad nigerian: [size=29pt]Could Noah's Ark Hold all the Animals?[/size]

One issue that is often raised against Christianity is Noah's Ark and the Flood. Did it really happen? Did the flood really cover the whole world? Is there enough water on earth to cover all the land? Could the ark really hold two of every kind of animal in the world? Though these might be intimidating questions, the answer to each is a resounding, "Yes."

God said to Noah in Genesis 6:14-16, "So make yourself an ark of cypress wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. Make a roof for it and finish the ark to within 18 inches of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks" (NIV). According to God's Word, Noah built the ark. Eight people entered it and all humanity died in the ensuing flood.

Did the flood really happen? Yes. Jesus said in Matt. 24:37-39 that the flood happened. If you can't trust Jesus, you can't trust anyone. As far as physical evidence goes there are numerous sedimentary deposits world-wide which suggest a universal flood. There are countless fossil deposits world-wide (fossilization occurs when organisms are buried rapidly within sediment.). Every major culture has a flood legend. Of over 200 flood legends, 95% say the flood was universal; 70% say survival depended upon a boat; 66% say the wickedness of man was the cause; 88% say there was a favored family; 66% say the remnant was warned; 67% say animals were also saved; 57% say the survivors ended up on a mountain; 35% say birds were sent out; 9% say eight people were saved; and 7% mention a rainbow.

Is there enough water to flood the entire earth? Absolutely! If the earth were perfectly spherical the oceans would cover all the land by more than a mile in depth. The biblical account is that it rained for 40 days and nights in which the floodgates of the heavens were opened up as well as the fountains from the earth (Gen. 7:11;8:2). There is a theory known as the canopy theory that states it had never rained on the earth up to the time of Noah and that a mist watered the plants (Gen. 2:6). The theory goes on to state that there may have been a heavy cloud or water vapor layer over the entire earth and that it was this canopy of water that became torrential rains during the flood period.

Did the flood cover all the earth? Yes it did. The depth of the flood waters is described in Gen. 7:19 as covering "all the high mountains under the entire heavens." Also, there are many references in the Bible to it being global: Gen. 6:1,4-5,12,13,17,19;7:4,6,10,19;8:3;9:15. There were 40 days of rain (Gen. 7:12), 110 days of flooding (Gen. 7:24) and 221 more days of draining (Gen. 8:1-5,13-14). That is a total of 371 days of flooding. That could not be a local flood.

Could the ark really contain all the animals of the world? Again the answer is "Yes." But let's look at the last question in more detail. The ark took about 120 years to build. Noah was 480 years old when he began the work and he had the help of his wife, three sons, and his son's wives. He probably hired local people to help in the construction.

The dimensions of the ark have a ratio of six to one. The Ark was six times longer than it was wide. This is the best ratio for modern ship building. Model stability tests have shown that the design is stable for waves up to 200 feet high and that the ark could have rotated 90 degrees and still righted itself.

The volume of the ark would be 450 feet long by 75 feet wide by 45 feet high. This equals 1,518,750 cubic feet and is comparable to 569 modern railroad boxcars. Therefore each boxcar, by comparison, would be 1,518,750 divided by 569, or 2,669 cubic feet of space. The average size of an animal on the earth is smaller than a cat. But, just to keep it safe let's consider the average size of an animal to be a sheep. The average double deck stock car holds 240 sheep. The Ark capacity would be about 569 x 240 equaling 136,560 animals of that size. However, that still is not accurate for our needs. Since most birds, reptiles, and amphibians are much smaller, let's double the boxcar capacity for them. Therefore, the boxcars could each hold 480 different kinds of birds, reptiles, amphibians.

Noah had to take two or seven of every kind of animal on the earth. Though it is not really known exactly what is meant by a biblical kind, it is generally considered to be animals that are fertile within their own groups. Any dog can breed with any dog, therefore, dogs are one kind. It would only be necessary to bring representatives of each kind since the parents could produce offspring that would carry the genetic information for all variations within their kind.

Classification . . . . Number of Species . . . . Number of Kinds on the Ark
Mammals . . . . . . . . .3,700 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3,700 (a few live in water).
Birds . . . . . . . . . . . . 8,600 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 60,200 (seven pairs according to Gen. 7:3)
Reptiles. . . . . . . . . . .6,300 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6,300
Amphibians. . . . . . . .2,500 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2,500
Fishes. . . . . . . . . . . .20,600. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .zero
Other marine life . . . 192,605. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .zero
Insects . . . . . . . . . . . 850,000 . . . (Since insects are very small, and a great many could be stored in a small area, calculation would be difficult.)
Total . . . . . . . . . . . .1,072,305 . . . . . . . . . . . . .72,700
The total number of mammals would be 3,700 times two pair which equals 7,400 animals. 7,400 divided by 240 = 31 boxcars used.

Since Gen. 7:3 says to take seven pairs of every bird then the total for birds would be 8,600 times two pair times 7 or 120,400 animals. 120,400 x 480 = 250 boxcars. The reptiles and amphibians would be 6,300 plus 2,500 or 8,800. 8,800 times two pair equals 17,600 animals. 17,600 divided by 480 = 37 boxcars.

The total number of boxcars used would be 318 with a total number of animals at 145,400. There would be 251 boxcars left over. That means that only 56% of the ark would be used for storing the animals. Obviously, then, the rest of the space would be used for food for the people and animals and sleeping quarters. In addition, considering that insects are extremely small, it is easily conceivable that they could be housed in part of the remaining space.

It should also be considered that many animals can hibernate. Additionally, predators and prey have been known to live peacefully together during situations of stress like fire, flood, or earthquake. In the Ark, animal behavior probably would have been different from normal daily life. Specialists in animal behavior have noted that animals can sense danger and have often migrated to escape it. Perhaps God used their migratory instincts to get them to the Ark.

Though this is only a brief analysis, it should present enough evidence that the Ark account is certainly within the realm of possibility.

SOURCE: [url]http://carm.org/could-noahs-ark-hold-all-animals

[/url]

Your falling to account for marine life is inconsiderate.....

Freshwater marine life and many salt water animals will die due to huge change in salinity

Also how much food will non-hibernating animals and 8 human beings consume in a year?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by adexsimply(m): 1:52pm On Jan 07, 2014
This is my kind of topic grin grin
Damn!!! why today ? angry angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Pastor Fatoyinbo Contacts Daddy Freeze For Interview, To Launch Attack On Busola / Was Coronavirus Included In 2020 Prophecies? / Man Destroys Bible As A Revenge For Destruction Of Shrine In Anambra By A Priest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.