Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,845 members, 7,802,697 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

Okay - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okay (4014 Views)

Dele Momodu Likens GEJ Fate Afta March To Lautent Gbagbo Of Ivory Coast Case / FUNNY! Gani Adams Stumble On "Unanimously" At The National Conference (VIDEO) / Sales Of Nsukka Communitie •police Stumble On Indian Hemp Camp In Forest Shrine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okay by PetroDolla2: 4:29pm On Jan 06, 2014
me_for_you: you are nothing but a typical Ghanaian. My problem with arguing with Ghanaians is that they don't think because they don't have sense. Typical Ghanaian. Na ur papa dey worship whiteman not nigerians
ands you are.......a mumugerian, a sh1tnigerian from the Federal Republic of Fooooooooooooooooooooools MUMU from MUMUDOM grin http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/02/nigeria-a-nation-of-160million-fools/ a sh1thole where eating from the dustbin is the norm grin http://ugowrite..com/2011/04/nigeria-meal-from-dustbin-in-lagos.html a colony of chimpanzee http://www.chimpout.com/forum/showthread.php?160202-Lagos-Nigeria-the-largest-nigger-city-in-the-world
Re: Okay by PetroDolla2: 4:41pm On Jan 06, 2014
Read what a journalist from Mumudom wrote about your country and Ghana grin

A West African Journey (2): Nigeria And Her Neighbours Are Worlds Apart grin grin grin

By EJIRO BARRETT
http://nigerianobservernews.com/24122013/features/features2.html#.UsqjfSdtZiM

I just returned from a trip to Ghana, something that has become a regular escape for me from the chaos that is Nigeria most times grin. These visits have always been important lessons in contradictions. I have travelled through several towns and discovered that, between Ghana and Nigeria, there are similarities but the differences stand our more. Amongst the Ewes, who occupy most of the coastal lands between the Republic of Benin and south eastern Ghana, I hear words that would sound familiar to the average Nigerian.

Along the West African coast, languages and traditional rites cut across national boundaries that are clearly artificial borderlines imposed by prevailing colonial tongues, and religious missions that are identified by their separate national metropolitan sponsors.

One area where the cultural similarities are glaring is in the burial ceremonies. In Ghana, interestingly, the gun powder announces the burial of someone who has lived a long and rewarding life just as it does among many ethnic groups in Nigeria. There is also a certain sense of deja vu about life in the rural communities here; it actually feels like the same old plot and characters from an old flick but with different names. I take time to observe Ghanaian rural life at a funeral in the serene lake side town of Anyako.

The difference in social attitudes have created several contradictions that are also immediately obvious across borders. What would instantly become apparent at first when one crosses the Nigerian border is the sense of organisation that welcomes; grin grin grin a clear contrast to the chaos that has become our trademark. the absence of smoke billowing trucks honking menacingly grin for the sole purpose of imposing fear to gain the advantage on highways; the absence of ramshackle police vehicles that look more like abandoned heaps of metal grin than vehicles intended for hot pursuits; the absence of police men kitted in faded uniforms grin; the absence of the complete chaos of Nigerian traffic jams- illustrated by the blatant disregard for traffic regulations; and the absence of filth that we seem to have learnt to live with in Nigeria, without bother. grin grin grin These are some of the differences that would become immediately obvious. There is also the conspicuous bohemian feel that the many street side cafes around Cotonou and Lome exude on cool evenings. I am always amazed at how, just a few hundred kilometres apart, we have managed to remain light years apart in attitudes. I am not talking about the cultural nuances created by the different colonial experiences but the contradictions in temperament and civility. I guess serious research is needed to understand that.
I have mentioned the differences that would strike any visitor who crosses the Nigeria-Benin border, but there is a dangerous virus that I observe has infected all sides with equal devastation; corruption. Do not be fooled, Nigerian officials at border posts may be known for fleecing without fear, but the Togolese and Beninois officials seem even worse. In these countries you do not argue with the set rules: I guess this plays out in their subterranean dealings just as much as it does in their official duties.

The contrast is mind boggling. The average Togolese or Beninois police officer- neatly dressed and whistle at the ready- seems the perfect picture of conscientiousness, and they are- most of the time. When encountered, their sense of commitment is immediately apparent. They carry out searches and ask the necessary questions with stern expressions that betray their preference for routine. However, it is with this same unyielding deportment that they demand set fees for no known reason. Drive through the border posts and check points in these countries and the persistence with which these demands are made rankles. At some of these checkpoints, the officers simply plead for a small cash gift; they do not insist but are quite persistent in their pleas, but they let you go if all documents are in order. In other checkpoints, however, they do not care much for your documents. They demand anything between 300 and 1000 CFA (between 20 and 400 Naira).

These acts notwithstanding, I still believe there is a lot that our security agencies can learn from these countries. The Beninois and Togolese security officials seem a lot more dedicated to their jobs than ours in Nigeria. At every turn, their presence is clearly evident and they seem to have done a good job at keeping their cities safe without the high handed tactics for which our security officers back home are known.

Beyond Nigeria, Republic of Benin, and Togo, Ghana is a world apart. I have travelled around the world quite a bit and I must admit that Ghanaian police officers are among the most civil I have met anywhere. grin grin grin I cannot remember the last time a police officer in Nigeria started a sentence with ‘please’ or ended with ‘have a good day’, so my shock at hearing this regularly in Ghana should not come as a surprise. The officers of the Ghanaian Police Service seem an aberration in these parts. I have been here four times and have never witnessed an altercation between a police officer and a civilian, not once: something that is so regular in Nigeria that it appears to be the norm. I watched as police officers took notes and measurements at an accident scene on the highway and controlled traffic. They had already evacuated victims and were controlling traffic flow. We had been informed of the accident about two miles before the scene and were advised to drive carefully. I saw this last in Nigeria in the seventies.

The sight of policemen displaying horse whips and ordering people to roll in puddles or pulling traffic offenders by their shirts and striking them in public appears an oddity here. grin grin grin When you commit a traffic offence here, the policeman actually pulls you over, explains your offence and, if you are a first time offender, let’s you go with just a warning and no greasing of palms- if that happens I have never witnessed it, I must confess. Coming from Nigeria, it is surprising to see this. grin grin grin grin grin I guess this emanates from the impressive simplicity and civility of the Ghanaian character. In all my visits here Ghanaians have been wonderful hosts who go the extra mile to make you feel welcomed.

Regardless of its challenges, Ghana remains a good example from which we can learn important lessons. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Okay by redsun(m): 4:47pm On Jan 06, 2014
There are loads of ghanaians living in my village,or rather town.They have been there for decades,fully naturalized and customized.And they don't have any plan to go back to ghana.

People should expect what they give and always try to look into the mirror to see whether they deserve better.
Re: Okay by PetroDolla2: 4:56pm On Jan 06, 2014
redsun: There are loads of ghanaians living in my village,or rather town.They have been there for decades,fully naturalized and customized.And they don't have any plan to go back to ghana.

People should expect what they give and always try to look into the mirror to see whether they deserve better.
yes, just as there are many nigerians spread out all over Ghana. most of them have naturalised and have no plans to go back to nigeria. didn't you hear the yoruba community in Ghana celebrating their 100 years in Ghana recently?

Yoruba community in Ghana celebrates 200 years
By BABATUNDE SULAIMAN

For the entire Yoruba community in Ghana, it is time now to sing the song of joy and dance the dance of victory. Indeed, when the Yorubas from all the 10 regions of Ghana troop out soon, they will beat the drums, click glasses and backslap in a melodramatic way, while trumpeting their peregrinations and seriocomic adventures in the foreign land in the past two centuries. About 200 years ago, some Yoruba migrants had set out on foot from the ancient old Oyo Empire and other parts of Yoruba land and arrived in Asanti, Ghana (formerly known as Gold Coast). It was, undoubtedly, a daring move that only men with the hearts of lions could have embarked on. But like a flash, days grew into weeks, weeks into months, months into years and then years into centuries.

Who then will not join the Yoruba community in the celebration of life scheduled to hold at the Ghana National Theatre Auditorium, Accra, on August 24? The much-talked about event tagged “200 Years Celebrations and Yoruba Heritage Awards” will bring together sons and daughters of Yoruba in Ghana and at home to engage in the celebration of life. For many who are hoping to grace the forthcoming event, which is already generating buzz all over Ghana, it will be a worthwhile experience, as there will also be a presentation of a book, “Exploit of Migrants community… 200 years of Yoruba in Ghana” by Mr. Joshua Bola Olalere, CEO, Delight Communications .

If it is true that “to live without any form of record is to live without any form of history”, then, there can’t be any more auspicious moment to chronicle the stories of the Yorubas in Ghana. Interestingly, in the heat of his frenetic preparation for the event, Olalere, who is also the Chairman, Planning Committee, told Daily Newswatch that when the first set of Yoruba left home to settle in the present day Ghana, it was not with the intention of searching for the proverbial greener pasture, but it was borne by sheer curiosity and adventurous drive.

Salami, Faseun

The Oyo-State born author, who has been living in Ghana for about eight years, disclosed that “This is not the first time we are celebrating the Yoruba Day in Ghana. The Yoruba communities are scattered in almost all the 10 regions of Ghana, but they are predominantly in Accra, Kumasi and Tamale. We have local executives of Yoruba in all these regions; we have Obas of the Yorubas in all these regions, but the overall Oba of Yoruba is in Accra and is recognized by the Ghanaian government.

“The normal Yoruba Day has always been celebrated only among us. But this time, we are inviting Yoruba leaders from Nigeria and all over the world. We are also dedicating a book called the “Exploit of Migrants Community”, on that day. Apart from this, we are going to honour some Yorubas who have made us proud with the Yoruba Heritage Awards. Friends of Yoruba will be there and those who don’t want to identify with Yoruba will come out because it is legal to be Yoruba in Ghana and still have the Yoruba passport. The government recognizes the Yorubas as a sub-tribe in Ghana.”

Speaking about the book, Olalere said, “Many efforts of our past heroes have gone un-celebrated because they were not properly documented. Most of our golden heritages are equally going into extinction because we failed to preserve them. “Yoruba people are one of the most industrious people in West Africa. They have contributed more to the making of modern Ghana and for all these efforts not to go down the drains, we have decided to document this sojourn in Ghana for posterity.

“The book is the chronicle of the earliest migration of Yoruba people from Nigeria since about 200 years. It highlights their influences, impacts and challenges in the foreign land and it also celebrates their successes. “The first sets of Yoruba trekked to Ghana and have made great contributions to the Ghanaian economy over the years. The most popular market in Ghana is called Mocola, which is an adaptation of Mokola in Ibadan; we also have Agege in Accra and there is also Araromi that were all created more than 100 years ago.”

Olalere, who runs a printing press in Ghana, however, said that beyond the intent to re-awaken some consciousness among the far-flung Yorubas in Ghana, the event is also to make a definite statement about the hitherto battered public image of the Yorubas, nay Nigerians in the eyes of their hosts. “Nigerians have a particular image in the eyes of the Ghanaians; so, we want to use this event to correct some misconceptions, while also showing the Ghanaians the impacts the Yoruba have made in their country in the past years.”

According to him, another reason for organizing the coming celebration is that[b] a lot of Yorubas in Ghana have naturalized[/b]; so, there is need to re-connect them again with their root. “We don’t want them to forget about their source. We want to re-awaken them; we want the Ghanaian community to know the impacts of Yorubas in Ghana. Some can’t even speak Yoruba anymore; they are more Ghanaian than Ghanaians. So, most of them feel the best is just to pick up the Ghanaian nationality. Most Yorubas who are great in the Ghanaian government are shying away from identifying with Nigeria for the fear of persecution from Ghanaians.”

Contrary to the impression in some quarters, Olalere, while attesting to God’s goodness in the lives of Nigerian migrants in Ghana, said Nigerians are doing very well in several sectors of the Ghanaian economy, including business, politics and music etc. Thus, he said, “Nigerians are not hustlers and we are not searching for greener pastures. We went there because of our adventurous drive. The pastures at home are even greener more than the pastures there. The earliest Yoruba that went there were into trading. It is on record that we taught the Ghanaians about trading .Yes, one can’t deny that the atmosphere in Ghana is more conducive for business, but Nigeria is more economically buoyant than Ghana.
Re: Okay by redsun(m): 5:06pm On Jan 06, 2014
PetroDolla2: yes, just as there are many nigerians spread out all over Ghana. most of them have naturalised and have no plans to go back to nigeria. didn't you hear the yoruba community in Ghana celebrating their 100 years in Ghana recently?
Yoruba community in Ghana celebrates 200 years
By BABATUNDE SULAIMAN
For the entire Yoruba community in Ghana, it is time now to sing the song of joy and dance the dance of victory. Indeed, when the Yorubas from all the 10 regions of Ghana troop out soon, they will beat the drums, click glasses and backslap in a melodramatic way, while trumpeting their peregrinations and seriocomic adventures in the foreign land in the past two centuries. About 200 years ago, some Yoruba migrants had set out on foot from the ancient old Oyo Empire and other parts of Yoruba land and arrived in Asanti, Ghana (formerly known as Gold Coast). It was, undoubtedly, a daring move that only men with the hearts of lions could have embarked on. But like a flash, days grew into weeks, weeks into months, months into years and then years into centuries.
Who then will not join the Yoruba community in the celebration of life scheduled to hold at the Ghana National Theatre Auditorium, Accra, on August 24? The much-talked about event tagged “200 Years Celebrations and Yoruba Heritage Awards” will bring together sons and daughters of Yoruba in Ghana and at home to engage in the celebration of life. For many who are hoping to grace the forthcoming event, which is already generating buzz all over Ghana, it will be a worthwhile experience, as there will also be a presentation of a book, “Exploit of Migrants community… 200 years of Yoruba in Ghana” by Mr. Joshua Bola Olalere, CEO, Delight Communications .
If it is true that “to live without any form of record is to live without any form of history”, then, there can’t be any more auspicious moment to chronicle the stories of the Yorubas in Ghana. Interestingly, in the heat of his frenetic preparation for the event, Olalere, who is also the Chairman, Planning Committee, told Daily Newswatch that when the first set of Yoruba left home to settle in the present day Ghana, it was not with the intention of searching for the proverbial greener pasture, but it was borne by sheer curiosity and adventurous drive.
Salami, Faseun
The Oyo-State born author, who has been living in Ghana for about eight years, disclosed that “This is not the first time we are celebrating the Yoruba Day in Ghana. The Yoruba communities are scattered in almost all the 10 regions of Ghana, but they are predominantly in Accra, Kumasi and Tamale. We have local executives of Yoruba in all these regions; we have Obas of the Yorubas in all these regions, but the overall Oba of Yoruba is in Accra and is recognized by the Ghanaian government.
“The normal Yoruba Day has always been celebrated only among us. But this time, we are inviting Yoruba leaders from Nigeria and all over the world. We are also dedicating a book called the “Exploit of Migrants Community”, on that day. Apart from this, we are going to honour some Yorubas who have made us proud with the Yoruba Heritage Awards. Friends of Yoruba will be there and those who don’t want to identify with Yoruba will come out because it is legal to be Yoruba in Ghana and still have the Yoruba passport. The government recognizes the Yorubas as a sub-tribe in Ghana.”
Speaking about the book, Olalere said, “Many efforts of our past heroes have gone un-celebrated because they were not properly documented. Most of our golden heritages are equally going into extinction because we failed to preserve them. “Yoruba people are one of the most industrious people in West Africa. They have contributed more to the making of modern Ghana and for all these efforts not to go down the drains, we have decided to document this sojourn in Ghana for posterity.
“The book is the chronicle of the earliest migration of Yoruba people from Nigeria since about 200 years. It highlights their influences, impacts and challenges in the foreign land and it also celebrates their successes. “The first sets of Yoruba trekked to Ghana and have made great contributions to the Ghanaian economy over the years. The most popular market in Ghana is called Mocola, which is an adaptation of Mokola in Ibadan; we also have Agege in Accra and there is also Araromi that were all created more than 100 years ago.”
Olalere, who runs a printing press in Ghana, however, said that beyond the intent to re-awaken some consciousness among the far-flung Yorubas in Ghana, the event is also to make a definite statement about the hitherto battered public image of the Yorubas, nay Nigerians in the eyes of their hosts. “Nigerians have a particular image in the eyes of the Ghanaians; so, we want to use this event to correct some misconceptions, while also showing the Ghanaians the impacts the Yoruba have made in their country in the past years.”
According to him, another reason for organizing the coming celebration is that[b] a lot of Yorubas in Ghana have naturalized[/b]; so, there is need to re-connect them again with their root. “We don’t want them to forget about their source. We want to re-awaken them; we want the Ghanaian community to know the impacts of Yorubas in Ghana. Some can’t even speak Yoruba anymore; they are more Ghanaian than Ghanaians. So, most of them feel the best is just to pick up the Ghanaian nationality. Most Yorubas who are great in the Ghanaian government are shying away from identifying with Nigeria for the fear of persecution from Ghanaians.”
Contrary to the impression in some quarters, Olalere, while attesting to God’s goodness in the lives of Nigerian migrants in Ghana, said Nigerians are doing very well in several sectors of the Ghanaian economy, including business, politics and music etc. Thus, he said, “Nigerians are not hustlers and we are not searching for greener pastures. We went there because of our adventurous drive. The pastures at home are even greener more than the pastures there. The earliest Yoruba that went there were into trading. It is on record that we taught the Ghanaians about trading .Yes, one can’t deny that the atmosphere in Ghana is more conducive for business, but Nigeria is more economically buoyant than Ghana.

People are expected to live together if they are smart enough to see that work makes things easy.Most most africans are too ignorant and short sighted to have the visions of togetherness and great strength in numbers.There is enough to go round,all we need to do is work accounrably.
Re: Okay by PetroDolla2: 5:45pm On Jan 06, 2014
redsun:

People are expected to live together if they are smart enough to see that work makes things easy.Most most africans are too ignorant and short sighted to have the visions of togetherness and great strength in numbers.There is enough to go round,all we need to do is work accounrably.
hahahaha that will not happen so long as some stvpid people think they are better than others. I gave up on africans uniting to do anything long time ago. how can I relate with you ifs you think you are better than me( when the reality is that you are not even better)? Its Ghana for ever. every other country can go to hell...........
Re: Okay by adconline(m): 7:07pm On Jan 06, 2014
me_for_you: because Isaac is a typical Ghanaian. Olodo
Cos u were not taught logic and reasoning in school. What an ignorant troll! Her accent, phone number, personal info could have given it away that she's Nigeria or black African.
Re: Okay by PetroDolla2: 2:59pm On Jan 07, 2014
adconline:
Cos u were not taught logic and reasoning in school. What an ignorant troll! Her accent, phone number, personal info could have given it away that she's Nigeria or black African.
the sh1thead has rags and cotton stuffed into the thing he calls head grin
Re: Okay by PetroDolla2: 3:04pm On Jan 07, 2014
me_for_you: you are nothing but a typical Ghanaian. My problem with arguing with Ghanaians is that they don't think because they don't have sense. Typical Ghanaian. Na ur papa dey worship whiteman not nigerians
such a dirty, ugly bleached pig grin I feel sorry for these obnoxious mumus, azzhole slave in a disgusting sh1thole grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Must Watch Video: An Interview With A Nigerian Drug Dealer In Thailand / Buhari Disgraced In London / Why Is "IPOB Youth" Used To Describe Anyone With A Different Opinion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.