Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,425 members, 7,808,521 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! (14901 Views)

Prebendalism;checkout A Peculiar Definition Of The Nigerian System Of Gov. / Leo Ekpenyong Who Accused Akpabio Of Corruption Charged With Defamation / (pics)match Made In Heaven – Nigeria’s Unique Food Combos(snacks) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! by Seun(m): 4:09am On Jun 21, 2006
Nigeria, like many nations throughout the world, deals with corruption. Its unique form of official corruption, named prebendalism, finds numerous parallels in foreign systems like nomenklatura ("nomenclature," or the naming of Communist-friendly individuals to political, military, and civilian positions) in the former Soviet Union and guanxi ("relationship"wink in China, among others.

Like these patron-client methods (see Patronage), prebendalism deals with the advancement of an individual who looks to his/her respective people for favors or support to get into office. However, unlike nomenklatura and guanxi, once in office, this individual then repays his supporters with sums of money, not land or jobs.

Prebendalism is so widespread that it reaches up into the top levels of the Nigerian government; former Nigerian dictators Ibrahim Babangida and Sani Abacha are responsible for the disappearance of over US$5 billion into the ranks of their supporters.

This form of corruption, however, does not include everyone. Many times the favor-seeking or -repaying is only done within the individual's own ethnicity or religious background. For example, an Igbo seeking a position in the federal government would ask favors of his/her fellow Igbo people to gain this office. Another example would be in dispensing government grants; a Hausa-Fulani official would be most likely to support any Hausa-Fulani seeking government funds over people from the various other racial groups or ethnicities found in Nigeria.

Prebendalism is very much prevalent in the social and political fabric of Nigeria. In fact, this corruption is so stubbornly ingrained within the societies of Nigeria that little has been done to end the corruption. The extent of prebendalism's stranglehold on the Nigerian bureaucracy is such that it prevents the nation from being able to practice the democratic government it has been striving for since the creation of the First Republic.

The creation of political "loyalty pyramids" is another hinderance to the development of the state. Still being ruled by the traditonal notion of the "big man," Nigeria must put an end to prebendalism if it wants any chance at becoming a truly legitimate and democratic nation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prebendalism

Wow, we have invented our own unique system of political corruption. Isn't Nigeria great? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! by Drusilla(f): 4:21am On Jun 21, 2006
Seun,

Ahh_____That is the same form of corruption found all over Africa.

We call it "the little king" for short.

It's not unique to Nigeria.

Mahmood Mamdani wrote a book about it.
Re: Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! by Drusilla(f): 4:30am On Jun 21, 2006
The little king grabs control and bestows his favor on his subjects (and the European or American who gave him the weapons and military support to take control of course.)

Leveling the Playing Field

Americans and Europeans play both sides of the fence.

They support the current corrupt leader in power and then they secretly support the guys who oppose's the current corrupt leader.

This way Americans and Europeand continue to get what they want, they do not care which little king comes to power.
Re: Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! by DaHitler(m): 4:50am On Jun 21, 2006
Seun, all social animals practice prebendalism. You should watch a documentary on inter-group relations amongst chimpanzees.

Now, you make a very good point, but I can't help but find that in this current form of democracy, instead of looking for your own group for favors, what we are seeing is that candidates look for favors from the opposition groups. Take for instance, the current President, Obasonja did not win any of the south-west States in 1999, even though the mere fact that he was Yoruba should have guaranteed a victory in at least 2/3 of those States. Instead, he was put into power by support from the East and North. So, they might be a reverse effect in which case, people vote for candidates from opposing regions that are unable to muster support within their ethnic/regional base. Once they get elected, they have no choice but to serve the wishes of their newly adopted region. And you can see proof of this by the reluctance of Obasonjo to do anything about Sharia even though it is in blatant violation of the constition.

And lastly, the problem of prebendalism, will not be so rampant if the borders were made with respect to the location and heritage of ethnic groups.
Re: Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! by Drusilla(f): 6:20am On Jun 21, 2006
Afeni,

I think it would be even more prebendalism.

Then it will start to be the Southside Yoruba's, Westside Yoruba's. Etc.

Maybe the solution to Africa's Ethnic troubles is to put an end to Ethnicity's rather than continue on this course.
Re: Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! by DaHitler(m): 6:34am On Jun 21, 2006
Drusilla, if you look closely, you will noticed that non of Yoruba territories were rocked by the Sharia riots that led to the killings of thousands in other parts of the country. This is really amazing when you consider out of the major ethnic groups (Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo), Yorubas have the most even distribution of Christians and Muslims. So, you would expect, that if there was any massive clashes, the fuel for those clashes would be found in abundance in Yoruba land.

Now, I am not sure exactly how or why this peaceful co-existence developed, but it does exist in Yoruba land. While there are inter-ethnic division, it is very rare for it show itself in inter-ethnic violence. Furthermore, these inter-ethnic groupings in Yorubas are so complexed that the vast majority of new generation Yorubas are barely aware of their existence. Yorubas consider themselves Yorubas before they attach their State of origin. Unity has been achieved. All that is needed is a Yoruba nation.
Re: Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! by Drusilla(f): 6:39am On Jun 21, 2006
Afeni,

I do not think that would be any insurance against a Yoruban civil war, once the state coffers go to passing out the money, to the ones they like or favor or have the same faith with.
Re: Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! by DaHitler(m): 6:49am On Jun 21, 2006
In a Yoruba State, the economy will be dominated by Southern-Yorubas and everyone knows it. And there just isn't enough hate on the ground to generate a Yoruba civil war. Besides, if the in-land Yorubas wanted to leave, no one would stop them. If the coastal Yorubas wanted to leave, they would lose access to parsly populated farm land. So, it is mutually beneficial. I doubt anyone will be fighting for domination. Expecially since different Yoruba sub-groups have been inter-marrying for hundreds of years.

In my family, my mother is from Ijebu and my father is from Abeokuta and they got married with out any problems. In my mothers family, 3 out of the 5 children of them are Christian. In my fathers family, 2 out of the 3 of them are muslim. And yet, I have not seen any problems arise of difference in faith. The culture is not one that promotes breaking of order.

As far as I know, most Yorubas are Yoruba first, Christian/muslim/traditional believes second, and Nigerian/State of orgin and local government third if that even makes it on their indentity list.
Re: Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! by Ka: 9:40am On Jun 21, 2006
Seun,

Interesting point.

I think this feature of Nigeria's political system is not going to go away in a hurry. Perhaps the best thing is for politicians to reward people who have put them into power with an opportunity to grow the economy and make money instead of simply doling out money.
Re: Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! by anton(m): 5:12pm On Jun 21, 2006
Maybe instead of trying to abolish it outright, the emphasis should first be placed on non monetary compensation?

Also, what made the poster think that this was oringinal and unique to only nigeria?
Re: Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! by Seun(m): 8:24pm On Jun 21, 2006
The wikipedia article I culled presented prebendalism as a problem largely unique to Nigeria. That's the reason.
Re: Prebendalism: Nigeria's Unique System Of Corruption! by raldsfield(m): 9:58am On Jun 24, 2006
If there will be a solution to this form of compensation, then it will be to find away of getting people elected freely and fairly. If a single man says he holds the votes of a whole state like the Godfather of Kwara state for example, then you will have to bow to get the votes and if you want to win you will definitely bow.

It is about finding the root of the problem and fixing it, corruption is not unique to Nigeria. i did not know the Yoruba's wanted a Nation, what will the Yoruba nation be called please, you have got the presidency and you still want to buy out.

What more can I say, If the Niger/Delta revenue is not enough to develop the west, where exactly do you think you will find the revenue to fund your nation.

Afeni or what ever you call yourself, you think that the Yoruba's are not part of the problem of the country. Why do you think buying out is best for the Yoruba Kingdom. No one region has benefited from Nigeria as a Nation than the Yoruba's. I feel you are out of your mind. Look at Lagos for Christ sake. Do you know how much of the Oil money went into making Lagos what it looks like today, the construction of road,bridge, water, the class of the institutions are second to none, Uni of Ibadan, Ife,etc and other facilities.

I know you are 19 years and I have being reading your posts, at one time you hate Nigeria. I think you will do better being American. I don't know where you grew up, you don't sound like someone that grew up in Nigeria. If you did, then you grew up in the village, where you didn't socialize much with non Yoruba's.

(1) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha (imo State Governor Elect) To Be President Come 2015 / Enugu Lawmakers Serve Chime Impeachment Notice / Okorocha Hands-Over Rasin Paint To Skyrun Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.