Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information (122620 Views)

Nigerians Protesting Right Now In Malaysia / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Jayne2014(f): 3:04pm On May 24, 2016
Truth234:

Even more better, USM is ranked second best University in the Country.
Okay, I will call them. Thanks.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by deligatus(m): 10:32am On May 31, 2016
This is the reply i go from emgs after i wrote to dem

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for writing to Education Malaysia Global Services.

We refer to your email, please be informed that all softcopy application created before the 20th of May 2016 were cancelled due to the change in policy and procedures for the admission of international students. As such, the applications were reordered under different application number with 12 months Student Pass validity.

Kindly be informed that your new application number is ********.

You may visit our EMGS public website to trace your application status;

http://educationmalaysia.gov.my/index.php/emgs/application/searchForm/
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Scash(f): 2:56pm On May 31, 2016
Hi, I'm going for my PH.D in USM next week, I tried contacting some banks here if they could process the paying of school fees, but all of them said they only pay school fees in dollars.
of which, USM specifically requested for fees to be paid only in ringgit.
Now I'm thinking about money gram. Like, I should get there first then husband should send d money to me via money gram. That way the black market rate might be avoided to some extent and my naira won't spoil totally. But I heard it's hard for Nigerians to receive money via money gram in Malaysia.

Please, how true is this?
And for those that are already there, USM, specifically, how are you paying your fees without changing money at black market.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Scash(f): 3:24pm On May 31, 2016
And please what's the current naira to ringgit rate?

Where can I convert it in Naija? I leave for Malaysia this Monday, so please, urgent responses desperately needed.

Thank you.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Truth234(m): 3:51pm On May 31, 2016
Scash:
Hi, I'm going for my PH.D in USM next week, I tried contacting some banks here if they could process the paying of school fees, but all of them said they only pay school fees in dollars.
of which, USM specifically requested for fees to be paid only in ringgit.
Now I'm thinking about money gram. Like, I should get there first then husband should send d money to me via money gram. That way the black market rate might be avoided to some extent and my naira won't spoil totally. But I heard it's hard for Nigerians to receive money via money gram in Malaysia.

Please, how true is this?
And for those that are already there, USM, specifically, how are you paying your fees without changing money at black market.

Not hard at all, you just need your passport and money gram details.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Truth234(m): 3:54pm On May 31, 2016
Scash:

Where can I convert it in Naija? I leave for Malaysia this Monday, so please, urgent responses desperately needed.

Thank you.

I don't think you can convert it in Nigeria. Just get your dollar, you can change it at numerous money changers here.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by allhavesinned: 4:33pm On May 31, 2016
Scash:

Thank you.

82, 83. 84. 85. 86 Naira to 1 ringgit

US$ 1=4.11 Ringgit
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Scash(f): 8:36pm On May 31, 2016
Thank you so much Truth and allhavesinned.

Is it advisable to travel without my school fees then? So it can be sent via money gram when I get there?

I have 1,500myr with me in cash. can that suffice as travelling allowance?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Truth234(m): 11:08pm On May 31, 2016
Scash:
Thank you so much Truth and allhavesinned.

Is it advisable to travel without my school fees then? So it can be sent via money gram when I get there?

I have 1,500myr with me in cash. can that suffice as travelling allowance?

You are a student, it is enough. But with money gram, you can't send more than #190,000 a month from Nigeria. To be on a safer side, you may want to come with your ATM card as well.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Scash(f): 2:42pm On Jun 01, 2016
190,000 naira?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Truth234(m): 2:50pm On Jun 01, 2016
Scash:
190,000 naira?

Yea, you can also check with them.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Jayne2014(f): 12:28pm On Jun 02, 2016
deligatus:
This is the reply i go from emgs after i wrote to dem

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for writing to Education Malaysia Global Services.

We refer to your email, please be informed that all softcopy application created before the 20th of May 2016 were cancelled due to the change in policy and procedures for the admission of international students. As such, the applications were reordered under different application number with 12 months Student Pass validity.

Kindly be informed that your new application number is ********.

You may visit our EMGS public website to trace your application status;

http://educationmalaysia.gov.my/index.php/emgs/application/searchForm/
Does your application status now show on the website using your passport number or the new application number you were given?
Mine is yet to show using my passport number. My school says that they are processing.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by deligatus(m): 6:04pm On Jun 02, 2016
Jayne2014:

Does your application status now show on the website using your passport number or the new application number you were given?
Mine is yet to show using my passport number. My school says that they are processing.
new application number but not reading yet
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Jayne2014(f): 6:20pm On Jun 02, 2016
deligatus:
new application number but not reading yet
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Scash(f): 10:06am On Jun 03, 2016
Truth234:

Yea, you can also check with them.

Hi, sorry if my questions seems repetitive. I learnt immigration in Nigeria also demand for this BTA. Student or no. I'm thinking about risking it all and just travelling with 1,500myr. Using my ATM and or money gram would be better. But I'm truly scared and wondering what could be the worse case scenario with the Nigerian immigration
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Truth234(m): 11:53am On Jun 03, 2016
Scash:

Hi, sorry if my questions seems repetitive. I learnt immigration in Nigeria also demand for this BTA. Student or no. I'm thinking about risking it all and just travelling with 1,500myr. Using my ATM and or money gram would be better. But I'm truly scared and wondering what could be the worse case scenario with the Nigerian immigration

Those are just criminals, you don't need to give them anything. Keep your RM safe and show them your ATM card if they demand for money as usual, tell them you couldn't get dollar because of forex scarcity. The BTA is not for them, let them know you are a PhD student.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Scash(f): 3:08pm On Jun 03, 2016
Thanks a bunch bro
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by cheeryangy(f): 8:10pm On Jun 03, 2016
Hello all,
I was just wondering about what the PP asked about. I intend going over this September too, to resume my masters programme. If the dollar naira rate doesn't go down I'm also considering not going with any cash at all. Then withdrawing via visa card when I get there. I think 86 to 1 ringgit is still better than converting money at 360 to one dollar

Unlike previous PP, I don't have RM. Do u think I'll have a problem with immigration in Nigeria or at Malaysia? What are the odds of a student getting deported? A friend of mine went earlier this year with a working visa and at KL, he wasn't asked for BTA
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Truth234(m): 8:48pm On Jun 03, 2016
What is PP @ cheeryangy ?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Jayne2014(f): 6:47am On Jun 04, 2016
Truth234:
What is PP @ cheeryangy ?
I think she means previous poster that is scash.
Seriously the exchange rate isn't smiling at all. I am planning to hold a maximum $1500 at hand while traveling.
@scash, please try to share your POE experience with us when you have settled. I intend going to USM this September for masters though mine will be at the engineering campus.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by cheeryangy(f): 7:21am On Jun 04, 2016
@Truth. pp- Previous poster. I was referring to Scash.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by cheeryangy(f): 8:49am On Jun 04, 2016
@Truth. pp- Previous poster. I was referring to Scash. the
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by allhavesinned: 12:05pm On Jun 04, 2016
cheeryangy:
@Truth. pp- Previous poster. I was referring to Scash.
the

You don't need any cash to show as a student when u arrive KLIA. Ur school representative will come to the student lounge inside KLIA to clear you. Some schools demand you pay school fees on arrival and some you'll pay after u've been cleared. Ringgit is 86 naira First Bank and 81 Naira Access Bank with a monthly limit of US$1000. Moreso better you have like 500 dollar BTA and have extra 100 dollar changed it to 20$ denomination cos Nigeria Immigration Officials exit of MMIA Lagos are not smiling ooo, u must settle them else be ready to miss ur flight or argue with them. Those guys are criminals in uniform
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by allhavesinned: 12:08pm On Jun 04, 2016
Jayne2014:

I think she means previous poster that is scash.
Seriously the exchange rate isn't smiling at all. I am planning to hold a maximum $1500 at hand while traveling.
@scash, please try to share your POE experience with us when you have settled. I intend going to USM this September for masters though mine will be at the engineering campus.

There is no POE to share as u will be cleared by ur school representative unless otherwise
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by allhavesinned: 12:10pm On Jun 04, 2016
But @ All please bear in mind there is no work opportunities here in Malaysia for a student either full time or part-time.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Truth234(m): 12:15pm On Jun 04, 2016
Thought as much with your first paragraph, but second smiley

I have never heard of real student getting deported @cheeryangy, still get some dollars and have your bank stamp your passport as proof of exchange.

Buying dollar in Nigeria or withdrawing here with your ATM card is almost the same, you may even pay more to your bank withdrawing here.

360 Naira = $1 (Using @cheeryangy rate)

86 Naira = RM 1, while $1 = RM 4.1

360 Naira = $1 = RM 4.1

Using Master Card

86 Naira x 4.1 = 352.6 (Naira excluding ATM charges), and I think you can still get dollar below or around 350
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Scash(f): 2:36pm On Jun 07, 2016
So guys... I got to MMIA yesterday, met an immigration officer that first made a complaint about my foodstuff (the only one I took was beans and dried fish) he said something about endorsing them somewhere, I didn't really get what he was saying, cos he himself didn't look like he knew what he was really talking about. Then he said what would I give him...?

I just laughed like oga nothing dey o. that really upset him so he kept on talking on and on about the beans. Well, I had someone close by, I was ready to drop it. When be saw that he changed tactics and just asked... your BTA nko? How much you get? Told him 1500rm and some dollars. How much dollars? About 500.

WHAT?? Wetin you wan take 500$ do? it's not enough at all. I had better drop something before he start checking my papers. my papers were very okay bt by then, he was really delaying as ppl had started to board. I was so sure he ll let me miss my flight, so i made the mistake of saying pardon me. next time ill hold enough.

Pardon you? pardon you? what do you mean...
lol.. luckily for me it was around the time they were changing shifts, so he just told me to follow him and handed me over to one guy. Recounted my offences and stormed off. That new guy just asked for my undergrad certificate and admission letter. Told a woman to stamp d admission then he asked me to go.

met anoda guy that started on my beans again. He was about starting problems so I gave him 1k. Then he let me go.

No issues at KLIA. at all. no beans or BTA prob. they didn't even ask for BTA.
But I got to the waiting lounge and called the guy that was supposed to be the one that would be my pickup... he was surprised I was around and said I didn't inform him prior to my coming. Duh, I called you on Friday...
in short accomodatn and the pickup was cancelled. I just got myself a night bus to Penang, it's taking off 10pm. so I got like 6 hours to spare sitting and sitting and looking around. Wld get an hotel when I get to Penang God's willing.

That's my little update.
Good luck to the rest of u guys with our MMIA immigration. Truly epic guys!

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by allhavesinned: 3:17pm On Jun 07, 2016
Scash:
So guys... I got to MMIA yesterday, met an immigration officer that first made a complaint about my foodstuff (the only one I took was beans and dried fish) he said something about endorsing them somewhere, I didn't really get what he was saying, cos he himself didn't look like he knew what he was really talking about. Then he said what would I give him...?

I just laughed like oga nothing dey o. that really upset him so he kept on talking on and on about the beans. Well, I had someone close by, I was ready to drop it. When be saw that he changed tactics and just asked... your BTA nko? How much you get? Told him 1500rm and some dollars. How much dollars? About 500.

WHAT?? Wetin you wan take 500$ do? it's not enough at all. I had better drop something before he start checking my papers. my papers were very okay bt by then, he was really delaying as ppl had started to board. I was so sure he ll let me miss my flight, so i made the mistake of saying pardon me. next time ill hold enough.

Pardon you? pardon you? what do you mean...
lol.. luckily for me it was around the time they were changing shifts, so he just told me to follow him and handed me over to one guy. Recounted my offences and stormed off. That new guy just asked for my undergrad certificate and admission letter. Told a woman to stamp d admission then he asked me to go.

met anoda guy that started on my beans again. He was about starting problems so I gave him 1k. Then he let me go.

No issues at KLIA. at all. no beans or BTA prob. they didn't even ask for BTA.
But I got to the waiting lounge and called the guy that was supposed to be the one that would be my pickup... he was surprised I was around and said I didn't inform him prior to my coming. Duh, I called you on Friday...
in short accomodatn and the pickup was cancelled. I just got myself a night bus to Penang, it's taking off 10pm. so I got like 6 hours to spare sitting and sitting and looking around. Wld get an hotel when I get to Penang God's willing.

That's my little update.
Good luck to the rest of u guys with our MMIA immigration. Truly epic guys!

Welcome to Malaysia. Selamat Datang ke Malaysia, Selamat Datang ke Penang. Sorry for the delay like I said earlier those MMIA immigration officers are crinimals, thank God for safe trip. Now relax and enjoy Penang, Is a lovely place and dont forget to visit Batu Ferringhi , which is one of the prime tourist destinations on Penang Island, also check the Penang Bridge, connection between Peninsula and Island, 2nd longest in Malaysia and 5th longest in South East Asia. Try Gurney Drive and Plaza for Shopping. Enjoy Penang and don't forget to visit KL City.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by Jayne2014(f): 4:38pm On Jun 07, 2016
@scash, nice. I think the Immigration people at abuja airport behave better.
Enjoy.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by barleeh: 3:44pm On Jun 09, 2016
Jayne2014:
Enjoy.
Just got a rejection letter from TUM d university in Germany I was hoping on dis morning,I have been holding on d VDR process because of it,since I have been denied the admission, so i'm fully down for Malaysia now,Pls how did u pay for ur VDR? And did u do d medicals for ur VDR too?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by barleeh: 4:06pm On Jun 09, 2016
Scash:

Thank you.
Please I heard Malaysia visa is now crazy,that everything has changed, pls can u shed more lights on it, pls list d process and the documents submitted to the embassy for u to get d Visa
Thanks
Re: Ask Me Anything About Malaysia And I'll Give You A First Hand Information by barleeh: 4:09pm On Jun 09, 2016
Jayne2014:
Enjoy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (29) (Reply)

Nigerian Man In Canada Shows His COVID19 Lockdown Palliative / 10 Most Naturally Beautiful States In Nigeria. / Swedish Admissions And Student Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.