Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,883 members, 7,806,546 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football (48518 Views)

Nigeria, Hope Of African Football / Super Eagles: The Insult Is Beyond Belief / Why Does The West Dominate African Football? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by heykims(m): 5:47pm On Jan 02, 2014
It is January and very soon , the African footballer of the year 2013 will be named in Lagos Nigeria precisely on the 9th of January. The player to be crowned with this feat should however be very much evaluated and deemed fit to earn this prestigious honour because his personality on the field of play either in the national team or club will go a long way in speaking for African football.

CAF released the final 10-man shortlist of the contenders of this prestigious award last year and interestingly, four Nigerian players made the list. Many Nigerians and even Africans have however tipped John Obi Mikel as the possible winner evident from the fact that he won the Nations cup last year, Europa cup in Europe, participated in d Confederations cup and so on.

MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?

A deserving footballer of the hear should be such that is very resourceful both at home and in clubs. A reigning footballer of the year should at least even make the top three best player in his club even if he doesn't get a spot in the FIFA ranking.

Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.

Nigerians should be please stop being sentimental, selfish and self centred and canvass for a better representative for African football.

Left to me, if at all a Nigerian merits the award, it is Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria's assistant skipper at goal but Cote d'Ivoire's Yaya Toure surely represents Africa better.

What's your view?

96 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by liloelawwal(m): 5:52pm On Jan 02, 2014
it wil actualy be a mockery of african football.

8 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by slimthugchimee(m): 5:54pm On Jan 02, 2014
My view is HOW DID THAT CHANGE THE PRICE OF GARRI FOR MARKET

31 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by salemdv(m): 5:56pm On Jan 02, 2014
If him win am abeg go wrestle am 4rm am. Bad belle wey no fit last 20min ontop pitch

58 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by heykims(m): 6:02pm On Jan 02, 2014
salemdv: If him win am abeg go wrestle am 4rm am. Bad belle wey no fit last 20min ontop pitch
.....wch is why I'm not a footballer, and am sure Mikel is also a nuisance in d profession where I flourish.

86 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Ezeibe(m): 6:04pm On Jan 02, 2014
Oh lord, any bad belle dem, that will try to rise against me or my bro (obi).... Should,
In baba osho's voice

GO AND DIE!!!...

OP , u sabi trap ball

30 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by salemdv(m): 6:08pm On Jan 02, 2014
heykims:
.....wch is why I'm not a footballer, and am sure Mikel is also a nuisance in d profession where I flourish.
and if u deserve credit in ur said profession, u should be over looked for someone that has achieve less than u have in the said time frame right

23 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Roon9(m): 6:11pm On Jan 02, 2014
Your comment is smeared with so much hate and its glaring that you know nothing in football. Mikel obi might not be so much of an outstanding player but he his very good playing his role in chelsea and nigeria especially. U know nothing about what a defensive midfielder does n you obviously didn't watch chelseas games last season. Surely he won't get d crown but he deservingly made the list. Stop blabbering bros! Cheers

78 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Krasid(m): 6:24pm On Jan 02, 2014
CAF messed up when they omitted Enyeama from the final three.Personally, i don't think Mikel will be a good representation of Africa's Best Player.

16 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by heykims(m): 6:31pm On Jan 02, 2014
I'm just amazed why ppl re this much sentimental, its an obvious fact wch requires no lengthy debate. Im sure those dt av commented in favour of Obi so far re just tribalist who re not just Nigerians but hails from d same geographical zone wt d overhyped chelsea player. I pray d plague of tribal sentiment doesnt ruin Africa.
I just hope CAF doesnt mock Africa come Jan 9.

14 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by heykims(m): 6:35pm On Jan 02, 2014
obioraop: mikel had a better 2012/ 2013 than any african player ,mikel may not flourish in your said profession but you aint either and believe it or not you wont be fit to lace mikels boot in a million years. Enuf said
yea of course I wont be fit to lace his boot but surely there re other African footballers that will fair better in d said boot. I am not a footballer.

8 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by otbliz(m): 6:39pm On Jan 02, 2014
True talk.
Abeg e ......bless yaya with the crown

8 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 7:06pm On Jan 02, 2014
@op,its either your a clown or desperate in need of undue attention,well congrats cause you ve gotten one today.Mikel might no be an outstanding player but bad mouthing and hating on him won't do you and your entire family any good.This is a player that is serving the nation,wearing the green white green jersey just to represent his nation,its obvious you are such an ingrate cause this guy has been doing the nation proud,I'm sure you were happy when naija won the AFCON.Its such a shame the only thing you could come up with is to open a thread about him,tongue lashed him for doing what he knows how to do best.Mikel has created name for himself,why don't you in your idle time think of how to make name for yourself rather than hating on another man's way of life.Waiting for your reply......................

148 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Beemhan(m): 7:07pm On Jan 02, 2014
heykims: It is January and very soon , the African footballer of the year 2013 will be named in Lagos Nigeria precisely on the 9th of January. The player to be crowned with this feat should however be very much evaluated and deemed fit to earn this prestigious honour because his personality on the field of play either in the national team or club will go a long way in speaking for African football.
CAF released the final 10-man shortlist of the contenders of this prestigious award last year and interestingly, four Nigerian players made the list. Many Nigerians and even Africans have however tipped John Obi Mikel as the possible winner evident from the fact that he won the Nations cup last year, Europa cup in Europe, participated in d Confederations cup and so on.

MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and an a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere bench warmer in Europe be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?
A deserving footballer of the hear should be such that is very resourceful both at home and in clubs. A reigning footballer of the year should at least even make the top three best player in his club even if he doesn't get a spot in the FIFA ranking.
Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a bench warmer in Europe, what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.
Nigerians should be please stop being sentimental, selfish and self centred and canvass for a better representative for African football.
Left to me, if at all a Nigerian merits the award, it is Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria's assistant skipper at goal but Cote d'Ivoire's Yaya Toure surely represents Africa better.
What's your view?
Op ur head dey dere jor! wel said

9 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Beemhan(m): 7:09pm On Jan 02, 2014
salemdv: If him win am abeg go wrestle am 4rm am. Bad belle wey no fit last 20min ontop pitch
sharap dia! so anyone who cn last 20mins on a pitch. deservs to be africa's best playa, montula

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 7:15pm On Jan 02, 2014
heykims:
Why don't you tell us what you have achieved in your so called profession in the last 10yrs,unlike who your hating on,he has already made name internationally just in time of 10yrs.His achievements will speak for him even decades to come.

12 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Krasid(m): 7:20pm On Jan 02, 2014
They should just give the award to yaya, so as not to disgrace Africa.Mikel is good but he is not world class.

10 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by heykims(m): 7:25pm On Jan 02, 2014
striker9: @op,its either your a clown or desperate in need of undue attention,well congrats cause you ve gotten one today.Mikel might no be an outstanding player but bad mouthing and hating on him won't do you and your entire family any good.This is a player that is serving the nation,wearing the green white green jersey just to represent his nation,its obvious you are such an ingrate cause this guy has been the doing the nation proud,I'm sure you were happy when naija won the AFCON.Its such a shame the only thing you could come up with is to open a thread about him,tongue lashed him for doing what he knows how to do best.Mikel has created name for himself,why don't you in your idle time think of how to make name for yourself rather than hating on another man's way of life.Waiting for your reply......................
Im a Nigerian nd I hold nothing against Mikel as a player, in fact am a fan esp then when he represented Nigeria in d U21 category in d world cup back in 2005. I just like to be factual.
U re right Mikel is doing what he does best, but unfortunately some others re doing it better.
Ans ds:
does it make sense for a palyer who warms d bench in europe to come to africa nd is crowned d footballer of d year? Pls just YES or NO..

15 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by safarigirl(f): 7:33pm On Jan 02, 2014
Some people are shameless sha. Anyways, as far as I'm concerned, the fact that Drogba made top 3 over a class act like Enyeama is already a disgrace on it's own. We might as well complete the disgraceful act by dashing Mikel the award, bunch of shameless niggurs.

20 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by striker9(m): 7:37pm On Jan 02, 2014
heykims:
Im a Nigerian nd I hold nothing against Mikel as a player, in fact am a fan esp then when he represented Nigeria in d U21 category in d world cup back in 2005. I just like to be factual.
U re right Mikel is doing what he does best, but unfortunately some others re doing it better.
Ans ds:
does it make sense for a palyer who warms d bench in europe to come to africa nd is crowned d footballer of d year? Pls just YES or NO..
I didn't comment on this topic about who deserves APOTY,but bad mouthing the guy is just pathetic.Why kick someone that is already down,this guy get criticized on little or no mistake,pressure from fans because he doesn't score goals,Ghanian hating cause Essien has been on bench,now NIGERIANs too?,ha ba!.Its not mandatory you support him but why stand against him.

18 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by safarigirl(f): 7:39pm On Jan 02, 2014
heykims:
Ans ds:
answer this, does it make sense for a striker with just 7 goals for his club this season, to be considered ahead of a record-breaking goalie?(yes, he broke Lille's clean sheet record and has conceded the least goals in the club's history). If NO, then explain the credibility of such an award. If Enyeama wasn't good enough for their top 3, then Yaya shouldn't be good enough to win. Give the wack award to Mikel jare, let's all support sentimental voting since it favors some. Merit my foot.

38 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by heykims(m): 8:10pm On Jan 02, 2014
safarigirl: answer this, does it make sense for a striker with just 7 goals for his club this season, to be considered ahead of a record-breaking goalie?(yes, he broke Lille's clean sheet record and has conceded the least goals in the club's history). If NO, then explain the credibility of such an award. If Enyeama wasn't good enough for their top 3, then Yaya shouldn't be good enough to win. Give the wack award to Mikel jare, let's all support sentimental voting since it favors some. Merit my foot.
To me, d tussle should be strictly between Yaya nd Enyeama. I was actually expecting Enyeama to win d award.

7 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by sicily4u: 8:27pm On Jan 02, 2014
Yaya deserve it 100%

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Ustec: 8:36pm On Jan 02, 2014
'Non-Sense'Rubbish talk....when cannavaro a defender, won the world footballer of the year, why u no write to FIFA that its a disgrace 2 world football...all this Man U fans ehn..make una leave obi alone abeg...

21 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by omar22(m): 8:58pm On Jan 02, 2014
Ustec: 'Non-Sense'Rubbish talk....when cannavaro a defender, won the world footballer of the year, why u no write to FIFA that its a disgrace 2 world football...all this Man U fans ehn..make una leave obi alone abeg...

Well he won Serie A, with Juve, got to the quarter final of the CL. Cannavaro is one of the most expensive defenders and one of the best

5 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by Kog45(m): 8:59pm On Jan 02, 2014
My candid advice for you guys,please don't commit suicide if Mikel win the award,because your view portray you as somebody that will be on suicide mission if Mikel eventually win the award.

6 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 9:34pm On Jan 02, 2014
heykims:
MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and an a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere [b]bench warmer in Europe[b/] be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?
Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a [b]bench warmer in Europe[b/], what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.
Can u please explain what a "bench-warmer" is ?

5 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by safarigirl(f): 9:37pm On Jan 02, 2014
naija noni:
Can u please explain what a "bench-warmer" is ?
Bench Warmer= Essien.

12 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 9:41pm On Jan 02, 2014
heykims:
MY VIEW
As a Nigerian and an a proud African, I see it as not just underscoring but extremely insulting to African football if a player like Mikel wins the award. How can a mere [b]bench warmer in Europe[b/] be crowned the African footballer of the year just by virtue of the fact that his national team wins a title or his club wins the European league?
Mikel Obi surely can't make the best ten in Chelsea's team despite being a senior player. I'm of the view that its better not to name anyone the footballer of the year than titling a [b]bench warmer in Europe[b/], what a mock, an insult I can't tolerate as an African.
Can u please explain what a "bench-warmer" is ??
What i understand as a bench-warmer is a player dat sits on d bench mostly and come in mostly as a substitute and only start games once in a while.
In your own definition,What do u call a "bench-warmer" ??

4 Likes

Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by naijanoni(m): 9:50pm On Jan 02, 2014
heykims:
MY VIEW
What i understand as a bench-warmer is a player dat sits on d bench mostly and comes in mostly as a substitute and only start games once in a while.
A "bench-warmer" starts 4rm d bench more than he starts 4rm d pitch.
Re: Mikel Winning AFOTY Award Will Be An Insult To African Football by heykims(m): 10:04pm On Jan 02, 2014
naija noni:
What i understand as a bench-warmer is a player dat sits on d bench mostly and comes in mostly as a substitute and only start games once in a while.
A "bench-warmer" starts 4rm d bench more than he starts 4rm d pitch.
Any player whose 1st team shirt is not assured is a bench warmer. Don't even go there for u need not disturb urself convincing anyone dt Mikel isn't a bench warmer in his club. In fact, a deserving winner of d CAF title should not even struggle at all to make a first team if really he is dt good to be conferred d feat. Anyway, tell us what he is if he isn't regular prospective 2nd half substitute in Chelsea FC. You may also tell us d position u will afford Mikel if u were to list d best players in Chelsea.
I honestly don't have anything against Mikel, but I believe d continent deserves better representation.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

AS Roma To Sign Nigerian OAP Who Made An Ashonishing Commentary Of AS Roma Winni / Anthony Joshua Vs Andy Ruiz 2: Time, Venue, Records, Everything You Should Know / Arsene Wenger Flaunts His Abs On Beach In Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.