Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,339 members, 7,808,201 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:33 AM

Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? (2256 Views)

5 Masculine Chores I Did As A Female Child. / What Are Those House Chores That You Dont Like Doing? / Just Discovered I Have A 9 Year Old Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by femooshad(m): 11:17am On Jan 03, 2014
My Sister was complaining this morning about a Child of a family friend who is spending her hols with us ... She was like a Child of at least eight should be able to get up in the morning and perform household chores without being told...

And I was like undecided the girl is just 9....

or what do you think?

1 Like

Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by mgbeketoto: 11:20am On Jan 03, 2014
As a 9 year-old, did YOU like to do chores? undecided
9 year-olds want to PLAY all the time! HABA!!!! undecided

You have to keep telling her or HIM!
A 9 year-old does not have the capacity for consistency or a sense of purpose YET!
He or she is still a CHILD. . .!

You have to encourage with love and respect! NOT BULLY HIM OR HER INTO DOING CHORES AROUND THE HOUSE! kiss

1 Like

Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by Nobody: 11:28am On Jan 03, 2014
It's a child. Children need instructions.

1 Like

Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by femooshad(m): 11:50am On Jan 03, 2014
mgbeketoto: As a 9 year-old, did YOU like to do chores? undecided
9 year-olds want to PLAY all the time! HABA!!!! undecided

You have to keep telling her or HIM!
A 9 year-old does not have the capacity for consistency or a sense of purpose YET!
He or she is still a CHILD. . .!

You have to encourage with love and respect! NOT BULLY HIM OR HER INTO DOING CHORES AROUND THE HOUSE! kiss

exactly ... although I believe some are very intelligent but they are still kids ..
Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by femooshad(m): 11:51am On Jan 03, 2014
carefreewannabe: It's a child. Children need instructions.

abi o ...
Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by slimyem: 12:21pm On Jan 03, 2014
Even teens and young adult sometimes need instructions
and some push before knowing to do chore more or less 9 -year olds.
Na wa for your sister o...
Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by aderome(f): 12:50pm On Jan 03, 2014
Nine years old is not a baby but you don't expect them to do house chores without instruction and there is little they can do, you do not expect them to be the one to sweep your three bed room apartment and other hard work, just that they are good in playing with your kids, they can help you to buy something from the stores very close to your house, e.g recharge card, they can help you to open door for visitors, or help you to remove the dishes from the dinning, but cn't wash dishes.

So your sister should not expect the 9 yrs old to act like an adult otherwise you will keep beating her at the end the child will hate her like poo.
Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by femooshad(m): 1:05pm On Jan 03, 2014
thanks all...

@aderome we against physical violence so we don't beat

thanks all you helped me prove my point and
and I didn't mean hard chores o .. she met the mat and duvet given to the girl on the floor in the other room and that brought this discussion
Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jan 03, 2014
Abeg its not something that should be complained about. early in the morning, before her eyes are even fully open, list out the things she's to do and when she's done she can now play or watch tv or whatever she's allowed to do for the rest of the day. State it that way so she can realize the work comes before the play.

meanwhile, ur sister just feels like complaining. E dey happen. but if she doesn't want the girl thr, they should send her back instead of making her cry from all the reprimands she'll be receiving

1 Like

Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by fidatt(f): 6:15pm On Jan 03, 2014
Children need instruction. 9years old is still a child pls.
Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by Suzie0(f): 8:12pm On Jan 05, 2014
fidatt: Children need instruction. 9years old is still a child pls.
i totally agree with you buh there are some kids that act like an adult. You see them talk, & think maturely. It just depends on 'nature and nuture for a 9 years old to act the way he/she does.
Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by Suzie0(f): 8:18pm On Jan 05, 2014
@ Op i just checked out your profile. Nah woman carry you come Nairaland? #don't take it personal, nah joke oo# grin
Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by ypepe: 9:19pm On Jan 05, 2014
YES.
A 9yr old will be able to sweep her room.
Wash smaller plates especially in d afternoon, bath her younger ones, arrange her room and d house, wash her playclothes and host of other smaller smaller things. She oe he can assist mummy in d kitchen too.
If u had started early enuf, at 9yrs whenever she wakes up, she will immediately arrange her bed. It doesn't matter if its well arranged or not. The essence is for her to know that its her duty to do so. After school, she airs their socks and school shoes.

Afterall, we go for housemaids below that age and expect them to do wonders so why won't u train urs to learn how to be responsible early?
It still doesn't stop them from having fun as children. Some r on d brink of womanhood already at that age.
The way u will teach them about d opposite s*ex and how to use pad is how u r supposed to teach them to do housework at that age.

1 Like

Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by Nikapetrelli(f): 8:10am On Jan 06, 2014
She is still a child,she needs instructions
Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by shizzle11(m): 6:26am On Jan 07, 2014
ypepe: YES.
A 9yr old will be able to sweep her room.
Wash smaller plates especially in d afternoon, bath her younger ones, arrange her room and d house, wash her playclothes and host of other smaller smaller things. She oe he can assist mummy in d kitchen too.
If u had started early enuf, at 9yrs whenever she wakes up, she will immediately arrange her bed. It doesn't matter if its well arranged or not. The essence is for her to know that its her duty to do so. After school, she airs their socks and school shoes.

Afterall, we go for housemaids below that age and expect them to do wonders so why won't u train urs to learn how to be responsible early?
It still doesn't stop them from having fun as children. Some r on d brink of womanhood already at that age.
The way u will teach them about d opposite s*ex and how to use pad is how u r supposed to teach them to do housework at that age.
Even as adults, sometimes we get lazy and need to be reminded about certain things

A 9year old certainly needs instructions like most people have stated, and as kids, most times they need to be reminded to do certain things with supervision. Even the house help you mentioned sometimes have to be reminded to do certain chores
Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by femooshad(m): 4:25pm On Jan 07, 2014
Suzie 0.:
@ Op i just checked out your profile. Nah woman carry you come Nairaland? #don't take it personal, nah joke oo# grin

lmao ... abi na
Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by b4jesus: 8:26pm On Jan 07, 2014
Thanks for raising this topic, infact, this particular issue has really caused problems in my home. I have two children, the first a boy of 8 and the second a girl aged 6, my boy can sweep and scrub comfortable, I let the girl dress all beds and arrange shoes and toys, but my husband keeps complaining bitterly that I've just spoilt the girl, is she really spoilt and over pampered at 6? I have even tried to teach her but she can't just get it right
Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by femooshad(m): 8:07pm On Jan 08, 2014
b4jesus: Thanks for raising this topic, infact, this particular issue has really caused problems in my home. I have two children, the first a boy of 8 and the second a girl aged 6, my boy can sweep and scrub comfortable, I let the girl dress all beds and arrange shoes and toys, but my husband keeps complaining bitterly that I've just spoilt the girl, is she really spoilt and over pampered at 6? I have even tried to teach her but she can't just get it right

wow.. spoilt at 6?
Re: Should A 9 Year Old Kid Be Able To Do Chores Without Being Told ?? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jan 08, 2014
Did YPP just say maids below the age of 9 shocked
Pls, tell me that is exaggeration!

A 9-yr old shld be cut some slack, abeg!

(1) (Reply)

Her Mom Doesnt Want Us To Get Married Becos Of My Tribe / Mother In Law On Wifey Duties... / My Brother Leaving With Me For Over 5years Will Not Was His Toilet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.