Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,697 members, 7,805,863 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:32 AM

3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ (3182 Views)

Your Actions Insulting, Deji Tells Igbo / Russia Using Electronic Warfare To Cloak Its Actions In Syria From Isis And Nato / Dumb And Criminal Actions Of GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by nduchucks: 5:56pm On Jan 03, 2014
(1)Reverse the planned sale of Nigeria's refineries to his cronies. (apparently done)

(2)Publicly announce an automatic extension of existing oil block contracts, which will expire in 2016, by 5 years.

(3)Release with immediate effect, thousands of innocent Nigerians, including women and children, currently held in prisons without trial for allegedly being BH members.

shi kena
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Pukkah: 6:00pm On Jan 03, 2014
Who will these actions save Jonathan from?

1 Like

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Pukkah: 6:03pm On Jan 03, 2014
ndu_chucks: (1)Reverse the planned sale of Nigeria's refineries to his cronies. (apparently done)

What's the evidence that the refineries have been sold?

Govt says it has no plan to sell them:

http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-hasnt-approved-sale-of-refineries-says-abati/

Government had no plan to sell any of the nation’s refineries contrary to the news making the rounds about the imminent sale of the facilities.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, said this in an interview with State House correspondents on Thursday.

It will be recalled that the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria and the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers had threatened to embark on an industrial action this month if the Federal Government refused to drop the idea of selling the refineries.

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Pukkah: 6:05pm On Jan 03, 2014
ndu_chucks:
(2)Publicly announce an automatic extension of existing oil block contracts, which will expire in 2016, by 5 years.

Why should he do this? Are you holding him to ransom?

Who are the owners or beneficiaries of existing oil block contracts?
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Omen100(m): 6:06pm On Jan 03, 2014
ok.
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by nduchucks: 6:08pm On Jan 03, 2014
Pukkah:

What's the evidence that the refineries have been sold?

Govt says it has no plan to sell them:

http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-hasnt-approved-sale-of-refineries-says-abati/

When I wrote "apparently done" I meant that he has already reversed the sale as announced by the Petroleum Minister.

Pukkah:
Why should he do this? Are you holding him to ransom?
Who are the owners or beneficiaries of existing oil block contracts?

Political expediency and survival comes to mind. The owners of those blocks can help him achieve his goals, it is foolish to threaten them directly or indirectly as his Ministers have been doing.
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Pukkah: 6:09pm On Jan 03, 2014
ndu_chucks:
(3)Release with immediate effect, thousands of innocent Nigerians, including women and children, currently held in prisons without trial for allegedly being BH members.

shi kena

This is apparently the right thing to do especially if the people being held have been investigated and found innocent or taken to court immediately.

If this is true, there's no point detaining children anyway.

Your list of demand looks like one that's trying to armtwist Jonathan or favour a tiny clique and, because of this, I find it unacceptable.

I thought your list would including things that would benefit most Nigerians like constant supply of electricity, true federalism, police reforms, etc.

7 Likes

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Pukkah: 6:15pm On Jan 03, 2014
ndu_chucks:
When I wrote "apparently done" I meant that he has already reversed the sale as announced by the Petroleum Minister.

Ok, I see what you meant.

ndu_chucks:

Political expediency and survival comes to mind. The owners of those blocks can help him achieve his goals, it is foolish to threaten them directly or indirectly as his Ministers have been doing.

Who are these owners?

If what you're saying is that they are angry because Jonathan has not promised them a renewal of the blocks, then I will support Jonathan on this.

Does any group of individuals have a right to the oil blocks?

Why can't a public liability company be formed to own the oil blocks in which interested Nigerians can buy shares?

To me, all this sounds like a tiny, selfish group or cabal wants to armtwist Jonathan.

You guys are taking this thing too far now.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by nduchucks: 6:18pm On Jan 03, 2014
Pukkah:

This is apparently the right thing to do especially if the people being held have been investigated and found innocent or taken to court immediately.

If this is true, there's no point detaining children anyway.

Your list of demand looks like one that's trying to armtwist Jonathan or favour a tiny clique and, because of this, I find it unacceptable.

I thought your list would including things that would benefit most Nigerians like constant supply of electricity, true federalism, police reforms, etc.

Things like supply of electricity, true federalism, police reforms, are obviously desirable, but he cannot do those in the next few weeks. The things I itemized are very simple. GEJ can make a major broadcast and announce that he'll do those things and watch his popularity go through the rrof, particularly in the states where his support has drastically fallen.

He will not get any sympathy from people whose relatives have been imprisoned for months without trial. He can release those people today!
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jan 03, 2014
Two of those demands are very selfish. I knew all along that most of the fierce opposition to GEJ are coming from either tribal bigots or self-serving entrenched cabals.

I support the immediate privatisation of those refineries. Those refineries will be better managed by the private sector. It will also help reduce corruption in the management of the refineries.

I dont think the number 3 demand should be a major issue. The govt few months ago released children and women who were detained in connection with Boko Haram. Such categories of detainees should be routinely released after screening.

1 Like

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Pukkah: 6:21pm On Jan 03, 2014
ndu_chucks:

Things like supply of electricity, true federalism, police reforms, are obviously desirable, but he cannot do those in the next few weeks. The things I itemized are very simple. GEJ can make a major broadcast and announce that he'll do those things and watch his popularity go through the rrof, particularly in the states where his support has drastically fallen.

he will not get any sympathy from people whose relatives have been imprisoned for months without trial. He can release those people today!

Haha Ndu_Chucks! GEJ's rating will hit the roof once he announces the renewal of oil blocks?

I have my own issues with the Jonathan administration but I'm not in support of this kind of self-serving agenda which seeks to boldly promote the interests of the tiny, rent-seeking minority.

No.

In fact, I wish Jonathan could look at them eyeball to eyeball and do what is right.

Even if it costs him a second term, what's left in his tenure is enough to shake up the country along political lines.

Why should you be defending the oligarchy and elite that have been sucking the country dry for decades?

1 Like

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by nduchucks: 6:25pm On Jan 03, 2014
Pukkah:

Who are these owners?

If what you're saying is that they are angry because Jonathan has not promised them a renewal of the blocks, then I will support Jonathan on this.

Does any group of individuals have a right to the oil blocks?

Why can't a public liability company be formed to own the oil blocks in which interested Nigerians can buy shares?

To me, all this sounds like a tiny, selfish group or cabal wants to armtwist Jonathan.

You guys are taking this thing too far now.

The fact remain that these 'owners' can help GEJ acomplish his goal. But GEJ's Ministers and loudmouths like Asari-Dokubo who speak for GEJ, have been threatening the very people whose help will be needed. This is quite foolish.

Good politicians will not alienate their power base and squander the goodwill they enjoy and tribalize polity in a destructive manner.
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Pukkah: 6:27pm On Jan 03, 2014
In addition, why are you against the privatization of the refineries? What are the reasons?

Has PHCN not been privatized?

Is a pocket-less trouser not better than one with leaking pockets?
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by jmaine: 6:29pm On Jan 03, 2014
Ndu and his unusually bold , selfish arm twisting agendas. angry.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by nduchucks: 6:31pm On Jan 03, 2014
Sincere 9gerian: Two of those demands are very selfish. I knew all along that most of the fierce opposition to GEJ is coming either tribal bigots or self-serving cabals.

I support the immediate privatisation of those refineries. Those refineries will better managed by the private sector. It will also help reduce corruption in the management of the refineries.

I understand what you mean, but the fact remains that these so-called self-sserving cabals can do and undo a Presidency. They must be managed effectively without making them enemies. My simple suggestions will result to managing them effectively - this is the prudent and practical thing to do.

As far as the refineries go, one would have though that they would have approached Dangote to take over a couple of them before he decided to build a new one in Lagos. Rumours has it that instead of offering those refineries to Dangote for pennies, cronies of government officials planned to share them. Thankfully GEJ has stepped in to stop the announced sale. Hopefully subsequent sale will take place in the future and in the proper manner.
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Pukkah: 6:32pm On Jan 03, 2014
ndu_chucks:

The fact remain that these 'owners' can help GEJ acomplish his goal. But GEJ's Ministers and loudmouths like Asari-Dokubo who speak for GEJ, have been threatening the very people whose help will be needed. This is quite foolish.

Good politicians will not alienate their power base and squander the goodwill they enjoy and tribalize polity in a destructive manner.

I agree that people like Asari ought to apply more tact.

But is the help you're talking about here on 2015? What if Jonathan decides he's not contesting but that he won't leave Nigeria the same way in terms of structure (I wish he could do this)?

What if he wants to support a successor?

No matter what happens, the interest of Nigerians is far greater than the interest of those owners (whose names you've refused to mention) and Jonathan's ambition.

Honestly, if this line of argument persists, some people may begin to support Jonathan out of sympathy.

Haba!

6 Likes

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by nduchucks: 6:36pm On Jan 03, 2014
Pukkah:

I agree that people like Asari ought to apply more tact.

But is the help you're talking about here on 2015? What if Jonathan decides he's not contesting but that he won't leave Nigeria the same way in terms of structure (I wish he could do this)?

What if he wants to support a successor?

No matter what happens, the interest of Nigerians is far greater than the interest of those owners (whose names you've refused to mention) and Jonathan's ambition.

Honestly, if this line of argument persists, some people may begin to support Jonathan out of sympathy.

Haba!

At this point, it is likely that GEJ does not want to contest in 2015, but his handlers, various Ijaw People and interests, will not allow him to make such a decision. If GEJ decides not to contest, then the equation changes and a different formular must be applied to the political problems PDP faces.
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Pukkah: 6:39pm On Jan 03, 2014
ndu_chucks:

I understand what you mean, but the fact remains that these so-called self-sserving cabals can do and undo a Presidency. They must be managed effectively without making them enemies. My simple suggestions will result to managing them effectively - this is the prudent and practical thing to do.

If you agree that the cabal is self-serving, why can't there be other beneficial ways to manage them other than to surrender the oil blocks to them?

Shouldn't you be in support of whichever President (regardless of whether or not it's Jonathan) attempts to unseat them?

I agree that the sitting President also came in through them but must that evil cabal be permanently sustained?

Must anti-people decisions be permanently sustained?
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by nduchucks: 6:39pm On Jan 03, 2014
Pukkah:

Haha Ndu_Chucks! GEJ's rating will hit the roof once he announces the renewal of oil blocks?

I have my own issues with the Jonathan administration but I'm not in support of this kind of self-serving agenda which seeks to boldly promote the interests of the tiny, rent-seeking minority.

GEJ already has SE/SS; if he announces the renewals of those blocks, he will sucessfully split the votes in the North with the vigorous help of the 'owners', just as he did in 2011. This is called political expediency; nothing more.

1 Like

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jan 03, 2014
ndu_chucks:

At this point, it is likely that GEJ does not want to contest in 2015, but his handlers, various Ijaw People and interests, will not allow him to make such a decision. If GEJ decides not to contest, then the equation changes and a different formular must be applied to the political problems PDP faces.
GEJ will contest in 2015. It is a settled matter.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by nduchucks: 6:46pm On Jan 03, 2014
Sincere 9gerian:
GEJ will contest in 2015. It is a settled matter.

Indeed, and he will lose the election woefully if he does not make very significant, game changing decisions and announcements, very soon.
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 03, 2014
Whatever options are available for saving GEJ at this point has already lost relevance and purpose for that matter.
To all adept Political Analysts, GEJ lost good footing at the early peeks of his ascendancy after Yar Adua's passing on

1: Yar-adua's Death: GEJ Failed to Recognize and take Opportunistic Advantage of the abundant Public Goodwill and apparent loss of Direction caused by bickering amongst the Political Class.
2: Political Settlement: Poor Reasoning on GEJ's part allowed him to grossly under-value his position as a Fresh President whom the International Public waited with Huge Expectations in spite of his apparent Short-comings. appointing lackeys of yaradua's ilk, releasing $2billion to States (Governor's pockets) for poverty alleviation - now we know Loyalty cannot be bought
3: Accepting Blame: Running the Nation is not the Job of the Presidency alone - He is a mere powerful CEO with sub-ordinate Executive Directors.. (Governor's Ministers, Senators, Reps etc) rather than make an example of erring Public Officers (Like OBJ did) and under-performing agencies who undermined his Office as President, GEJ sheepishly took the blame with its attendant ramifications on his Public Relations machinery.. slowly the goodwill was eroded as previously clueless politicians began to take advantage of his numerous Political faux pas to strengthen their positions.
4: Foreign Policy: The only other green GEJ could have mustered International Support to stave off his rather illiterate and local Political pack of Hyenas. GEJ has failed in this regard - woefully. hiring @beaf to make short work of local rants (ok just kidding about @beaf part) but GEJ's team on PR and Foreign Relations is pathetically weak.
5: Lack of Independence of Thought and Ideals: Every World Leader has to come off as being a Visionary in Ideals and Thoughts.. GEJ has neither.. ok that is harsh but he seems to echo the thoughts of others from some shanty beer parlor and has no particular Ideal he has pursued with passion -e,g Fighting Corruption. This has cemented the Public's view that he is just an unfortunate accident to Nigeria's un-ending Economic and Political woes.

If GEJ was to stage a formidable come-back, he requires a Team that is not only Politically Aware, but Politically Intelligent. At this point GEJ is the unintended focus of everything BAD happening to Nigeria.it is unfair but when the victim does not recognize his position as a victim, it makes it all the more difficult to help him in any way... GEJ is done for.. a case too far gone to recuperate..

7 Likes

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 03, 2014
ndu_chucks:

Indeed, and he will lose the election woefully if he does not make very significant, game changing decisions and announcements, very soon.
That is left for the over 60 million registered voters to decide.

Just watch the FRESH AIR revolution that will ensue immediately the govt stabilizes power in most cities of the country by fixing and securing vandalized gas pipelines. Tribal bigots and self-serving cabals will be swept away.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by collynzo2(m): 7:06pm On Jan 03, 2014
Why not ask him to covert to Islam and add Awolowo and Shagari to his long list of names to satisfy fools?

6 Likes

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Emperor007: 7:11pm On Jan 03, 2014
ndu_chucks:

GEJ already has SE/SS; if he announces the renewals of those blocks, he will sucessfully split the votes in the North with the vigorous help of the 'owners', just as he did in 2011. This is called political expediency; nothing more.

^^^

What belongs to Caesar must be returned to Caesar.

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by nduchucks: 7:12pm On Jan 03, 2014
Sincere 9gerian:
That is left for the over 60 million registered voters to decide.
Just watch the FRESH AIR revolution that will ensue immediately the govt stabilizes power in most cities of the country by fixing and securing vandalized gas pipelines. Tribal bigots and self-serving cabals will be swept away.

Lets hope the 2015 elections will be free and fair so that those 60 million voters can decide their fates.

Why can't the said FRESH AIR sweep these cabals away right now, why wait until the govt stabilizes power in most cities of the country? BTW will the FRESH AIR revolution also sweep away Jonathan Economic Advisers Owing Nigeria N1.3 Trillion? Lets hope so.

Emperor_007:

What belongs to Caesar must be returned to Caesar.

This is the kind of unhelpful threat which GEJ advisers have been issuing all over the country. You people are doing more harm to GEJ than good. mumu

collynzo2: Why not ask him to covert to Islam and add Awolowo and Shagari to his long list of names to satisfy fools?

I don't have time for intellectual midgets today.
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Emperor007: 7:17pm On Jan 03, 2014
Nigerians would decide GEJ faith, not selfish and evil cabal that wants the status quo to continue by all means.

Give back to Caesar what is his ( this must happen ), simple and heaven wouldn't fall.

People can't continue to reap where they didn't sow, while the real owners of oil fields keep suffering.

1 Like

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by Emperor007: 7:21pm On Jan 03, 2014
It seems OP, you've not travelled outside Nigeria to advanced countries, to see for yourself how oil fields / wells are own are run.

Typical example is U.S.A.

Must of the people I met the first time there ( in U.S.A ), have all resigned because oil or gas was found in their land. Let me not go into other countries.

Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by danot1030: 7:27pm On Jan 03, 2014
all ur points are senseless
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by danot1030: 7:28pm On Jan 03, 2014
all ur points are senseless.
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by nduchucks: 7:29pm On Jan 03, 2014
Emperor_007: It seems OP, you've not travelled outside Nigeria to advanced countries, to see for yourself how oil fields / wells are own are run.

Typical example is U.S.A.

Must of the people I met the first time there ( in U.S.A ), have all resigned because oil or gas was found in their land. Let me not go into other countries.

I believe in law and order.

In the USA, if oil is found under your personal property/land, you will be compensated via royalties as agreed to by contract. No one is paid a kobo for oil found on federal land or property.

You sir, do not deserve a kobo in royalties under the law, if oil was not found under a land you personally own. When oil is found under any land designated as government property, you deserve no royalties. More so when the oil is located 50 miles offshore. What you have coming to you, under the law, is paid to your state government. You may want to ask your governor for your rightful share. ode
Re: 3 Simple Actions Which May Instantly Save GEJ by ISpiksDaTroof: 7:36pm On Jan 03, 2014
ndu_chucks: (1)Reverse the planned sale of Nigeria's refineries to his cronies. (apparently done)

shi kena
Tell me how this will benefit voters in places outside Northern Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Nigeria Army is Slowly But Steadily Destroying Boko Haram. / Robert Mugabe Refusing To Shake The Zulu King That Caused Xenophobia / Why Are Yoruba People Happy When Anioma/ikwerre People Claim They Are Not Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.