Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,360 members, 7,780,985 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:54 AM

Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? (7331 Views)

Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone / Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. / Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by 500GP: 1:46pm On Jan 05, 2014
DerideGull:

Hausa-Fulani is not an ethnic group in Nigeria. There is no doubt you failed JAMB examination.

SEE HOW A SON OF MAN IS REASONING...

WITH THE HELP OF GOD AM DONE WITH JAMB STUFF..
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by DerideGull(m): 1:47pm On Jan 05, 2014
eluquenson: Niegria Ethnic groups as at 2013
21% Yoruba
21% Hausa
18% Igbo
11% Fulani
7% Efik-Ibibio
4% Kanuri
3% Tiv
3% Edo
2% Ijaw
10% others

Efik-Ibibio is not an ethnic group in Nigeria. You are another black eye on Nigeria's educational system.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by DerideGull(m): 1:48pm On Jan 05, 2014
5.00GP:

SEE HOW A SON OF MAN IS REASONING...

WITH THE HELP OF GOD AM DONE WITH JAMB STUFF..

You are a typical Nigerian.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by eluquenson(m): 2:49pm On Jan 05, 2014
DerideGull:

Efik-Ibibio is not an ethnic group in Nigeria. You are another black eye on Nigeria's educational system.
Put on your magnifying lens next time you open this thread....all those shit tribe are categorized to be ''others''
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 05, 2014
ijaw citizen: Seriously?
Do you know the ethnicity of all ur neighbours?
Do you know the ethnicity of everyone in your street, adjoining streets and neighbourhood?

75% of my neighbours don't even know my ethnicity, some only know I come from a multi-ethnic Delta state and I visit Warri a lot.

@Torkaka
Don't impose ur definciency of not recognizing Ijaws on other people.
I don't but I think I have meet thousands of people which I knw there ethnic group, it even took me tym to knw that I hav meet one ijaw person, that was 10yrs ago. I don't think ijaw has population, if u notice, u are the only person fighting for ijaw on this thread.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jan 05, 2014
5.00GP:

LET'S GOES THROUGH IT...
you and who, mtcheeeeew
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Gamji007: 4:09pm On Jan 05, 2014
emmalexabl:

Last i checked.,imo state has highest no university graduates and professors more than any other state in nigeria.

So what does that say about us...?

Last I checked, Imo is not the only Igbo speaking state in Nigeria.

And please, spare me the beer parlour gossip about Imo having the higest number of graduates without any credible statistics.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jan 05, 2014
Gamji007:

And please, spare me the beer parlour gossip about Imo having the higest number of graduates without any credible statistics.

They don't believe in statistics...they manufacture their figures like a baby factory in any Ibo town.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by meforyou1(m): 4:55pm On Jan 05, 2014
kokoA: grin that's what we learnt from our alma mata.. I thank God we learnt well. grin Bros, which year you graduate from fut mx?
2000. U went to futmin too? The best university in computer science and engineering
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by meforyou1(m): 4:59pm On Jan 05, 2014
5.00GP:
lagos population is a miserably less than 10 million with naija's population being about 200 million. That's less than 1/20 (0.05)
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jan 05, 2014
Gamji007:

you have internet connection, check it na, who will do the job 4 u?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by SUBMARINE: 5:09pm On Jan 05, 2014
First set of large ethnic groups = Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba. Second set of large ethnic groups= Tiv, Kanuri, Gwari, I jaw, Edo, Ibibio and Nupe.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by meforyou1(m): 5:12pm On Jan 05, 2014
5.00GP:

HOW CAN SOJOURNERS(IBO) BE 35% OF LAGOS POPULATION? ...
LAGOS IS PART OF SOUTH WEST STATES (YORUBA)
sharap. Lagos is no-man's land and has never been part of south western region. First it was a British colony and then the federal capital.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by 500GP: 8:48am On Jan 06, 2014
me_for_you: sharap. Lagos is no-man's land and has never been part of south western region. First it was a British colony and then the federal capital.

KEEP DECEIVING YOURSELF.....

LAGOS, OSUN, OGUN,ONDO, EKITI, IBADAN.......... ARE ALL SOUTH WEST STATES WHICH IS YORUBA STATES.....

IS ABUJA NO MAN'S LAND? BECAUSE U SAID LAGOS IS THE FIRST BRITISH COLONY N FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY....
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by mandarin: 9:36am On Jan 06, 2014
eluquenson: Niegria Ethnic groups as at 2013
21% Yoruba
21% Hausa
18% Igbo
11% Fulani
7% Efik-Ibibio
4% Kanuri
3% Tiv
3% Edo
2% Ijaw
10% others

The Nigeria population census has been contested several times and so would not be a wholly perfect reference but also have its own level of truth.Like said by one of the posters here that Kano state has been divided a number of time but keeps having more population than Lagos state is in itself a way to doubt the truth of figures presented. Like I also said anywhere, I believe Nigeria's population is grossly overstated to accommodate huge figures that will make places like Sokoto,Kano, Jigawa and Zamfara come up with huge population for obvious numerical advantage. Taken that the northerners give birth more than southerners based on religion and polygamy I will however not agree to those bogus figures being reported. I believe the Nigeria population itself should not be more than 120 - 140 million which will actually mean writing off 20 million excess as being referred.
Coming to those claiming that certain ethnic groups are fourth in the ranking , I cannot agree with those claiming Ijaw based on the following reasons
1. Ijaw are found primarily in Bayelsa as the dominant group, one of the top three in Rivers and Delta and a very tiny minority in Ondo and Edo
If you consider the population of these states vis a vis the percentage of Ijaw living there you cannot get 10% of Nigeria's ,population, that will be a blatant lie. If honesty is anything to go by I think the Ijaw around these states cannot be more than 5 million or less
2. The kanuri are majorly in Borno and Yobe where they are the dominant groups and some few states around the north east. Taking the population of those states they too cannot exceed 6 million which even place them above the Ijaw. That the Ijaw are the fourth group is a product of propaganda and its baseless just like a whole lots of their claims on ownership of lands across the coast.
3.The Tiv are largest groups in Benue and are also indigents in states as Taraba, Cross River,Nasarawa. Summing up their numbers will give them like 5-6 million too
4. The Efik and Ibiobio if considered as one group will be indigents of Akwa Ibom and Cross River and considering their population will be around 8million which will make them the 4th largest group in Nigeria.

However we must consider the Fulani who are actually spread across ,Nigeria but we cannot separate them from the Hausa in the states of Sokoto, Zamfara, Katsina etc where they have fused into themselves apart from those Bororo Fulani that are widespread all over Nigeria as cattle rearers. Our best is to lump them that way.The population of the North-western states are seriously overestimated like I said but if we lump the Hausa and Fulani together they will be the largest may be 25%.

The Yoruba groups are found in nine states in Nigeria where they are the exclusive in five(Ekiti,Oyo,Ondo,Osun,Ogun)dominate in two(Kwara, Lagos) and are the third largest group in two(Kogi,Edo)if Itsekiri are counted as part of them they will be in ten states. Considering the population of these states, it will give them like 24% of Nigeria's population.

The Igbo are found in 8 states where they are exclusive in three(Imo,Abia,Ebonyi) dominate in Enugu & Anambra(few Igala people are indigents) and are the second or third largest group in Delta and are indigents of Rivers and Bayelsa
Considering the population of these states and other factors to be stated below the Igbo will be like 19% of Nigeria.

Other factors
Migration across Nigeria by various ethnic groups are great and this cut across various groups. The Igbo are largely traders and that make them so conscupious in any environment unlike the Hausa some of whom are traders, securities and do a whole lots of menial jobs. The Hausa however live in groups and can easily be spotted at random when they converge.The Yoruba are people who easily fuse into their communities and it may be difficult to say which is more for instance in the north between the Yoruba and Igbo. For states like Sokoto, Kebbi, Katsina,Kaduna and Kano I think the Yoruba are in larger number with over two generations of settlers many of whom have been Hausanized or are not easily spotted. They are the artisans, a lot of them are Muslims and many of them from Oyo, Kwara and Kogi feel at home there.
If Nigeria's census is to be taken today in absolute truth a lot will be amazed what the result will be. Let me just stop here.

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:11am On Jan 07, 2014
5.00GP:

KEEP DECEIVING YOURSELF.....

LAGOS, OSUN, OGUN,ONDO, EKITI, IBADAN.......... ARE ALL SOUTH WEST STATES WHICH IS YORUBA STATES.....

IS ABUJA NO MAN'S LAND? BECAUSE U SAID LAGOS IS THE FIRST BRITISH COLONY N FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY....

ibadan is now a state. SMH
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 11, 2014
Fulanis are 4th
No doubt about that...

I can provide the necessary sources.....
I remember some people saying Ijaws were 10% a while ago....lol... How can be Ijaw be 10% of Nigeria? (or 17 Million!).... How come they are 10% and they are hardly known anywhere.? they are more like 2% just like Nupes and Igalas.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 11, 2014
500GP: IT'S HAUSA, YORUBA IGBO........ NOT HAUSA IGBO ,YORUBA...

HAUSA-FULANI (29%) , YORUBA (21%) IGBO (18%) IJAW (10%)
PENNYWHISTLING JACKARSSE...

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by customized07: 4:47pm On Jul 11, 2014
500GP: IT'S HAUSA, YORUBA IGBO........ NOT HAUSA IGBO ,YORUBA...

HAUSA-FULANI (29%) , YORUBA (21%) IGBO (18%) IJAW (10%)
dumbbell, the op stated "in no particular order". I pity you when I read your comments.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by mainheart(m): 4:49pm On Jul 11, 2014
do your research very well efik/ bibio is the fourth.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by customized07: 4:49pm On Jul 11, 2014
From the real sense, every 1diot knows that igbos and hausas are more than yorubas in this country, only if we don't wanna tell ourselves the truth, forget about my igboness, igbo and hausas has got more population than yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by 500GPA: 5:04pm On Jul 11, 2014
customized07: dumbbell, the op stated "in no particular order". I pity you when I read your comments.

WHY CAN'T THE OP WRITE HAUSA, YORUBA, IBO (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER )?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by 500GPA: 5:10pm On Jul 11, 2014
customized07: From the real sense, every 1diot knows that igbos and hausas are more than yorubas in this country, only if we don't wanna tell ourselves the truth, forget about my igboness, igbo and hausas has got more population than yoruba.

YOU WANT TO PLACE THE IBO; IMPORTANT TRIBE IN NIGERIA.

DO YOU KNOW THAT YOUR POPULATION CAUSED IBO THE ADDITIONAL STATE?
HAUSA DELEGATES COUNTER YOUR IBO DELEGATES AT THE ON GOING CONFERENCE WITH POPULATION OVER THE ADDITIONAL STATE.

YORUBA - 6 STATES

IBO - 5 STATES
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by customized07: 5:26pm On Jul 11, 2014
500GPA:

WHY CAN'T THE OP WRITE HAUSA, YORUBA, IBO (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER )?
this bigot didn't even read op's post, he just jump to the last page to comment.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by customized07: 5:29pm On Jul 11, 2014
500GPA:

YOU WANT TO PLACE THE IBO; IMPORTANT TRIBE IN NIGERIA.

DO YOU KNOW THAT YOUR POPULATION CAUSED IBO THE ADDITIONAL STATE?
HAUSA DELEGATES COUNTER YOUR IBO DELEGATES AT THE ON GOING CONFERENCE WITH POPULATION OVER THE ADDITIONAL STATE.

YORUBA - 6 STATES

IBO - 5 STATES
the equivalent of your I.Q in watts can switch a nokia 3310 on, lemme help your ignorance, what I meant was that, there are more igbos in nigeria than yorubas, not by number of states basis, igbos even drag your so called states with you.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Tobbie9(m): 5:51pm On Jul 11, 2014
customized07: From the real sense, every 1diot knows that igbos and hausas are more than yorubas in this country, only if we don't wanna tell ourselves the truth, forget about my igboness, igbo and hausas has got more population than yoruba.
do u have any facts abeg, not bs please i mean facts and if i may ask have Yorubas stopped reproduction or have all their women dropped dead
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by 500GPA: 5:51pm On Jul 11, 2014
customized07: the equivalent of your I.Q in watts can switch a nokia 3310 on, lemme help your ignorance, what I meant was that, there are more igbos in nigeria than yorubas, not by number of states basis, igbos even drag your so called states with you.

WHAT'S THE POPULATION OF IBO TO POPULATION OF YORUBA?
IT'S THE IBO AMONG THE NUMBER OF IBO (POPULATION ) THAT WANDER ABOUT ON THE SURFACE OF THE EARTH.

igbos even drag your so called states with you. CAN YOU EXPLAIN THIS?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by customized07: 6:08pm On Jul 11, 2014
500GPA:

WHAT'S THE POPULATION OF IBO TO POPULATION OF YORUBA?
IT'S THE IBO AMONG THE NUMBER OF IBO (POPULATION ) THAT WANDER ABOUT ON THE SURFACE OF THE EARTH.

igbos even drag your so called states with you. CAN YOU EXPLAIN THIS?
before I answer the boldened above, tell me why yorubas always nag about igbos in their land.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by customized07: 6:09pm On Jul 11, 2014
Tobbie9: do u have any facts abeg, not bs please i mean facts and if i may ask have Yorubas stopped reproduction or have all their women dropped dead
let's stop deceiving ourselves, both of us know the truth.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by Tobbie9(m): 6:20pm On Jul 11, 2014
customized07: let's stop deceiving ourselves, both of us know the truth.
My truth is based on fact and logic not sentiments and hearsay

PS: I don't particularly care if igbos are more than the chinese
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by customized07: 6:23pm On Jul 11, 2014
Tobbie9: My truth is based on fact and logic not sentiments and hearsay

PS: I don't particularly care if igbos are more than the chinese
then don't bother asking silly questions.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Comes 4th In Nigeria? by meccuno: 6:30pm On Jul 11, 2014
please oh!! since when did hausa people have more population than the igbos?? someone should do a break down of the norths composition.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See Oshiomohle 1998 In Funtua Textile Katsina State Before Labour Started Paying / PDM Chairman Begs Tribunal To Remove Party From Petition Against Buhari / Pictures & Videos From Thursday's National Economic Council Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.