Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,043 members, 7,807,132 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. (4428 Views)

My Watch: Obasanjo Is An Incredible Liar - Brig-Gen Alabi Isama / Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama / Brigadier-general Godwin Alabi-isama; Civil War Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by KingTom(m): 8:56am On Jan 07, 2014
Let me start by saying sorry, sorry because it took so long to read the voluminous book by the retired Brigadier. The book (The Tragedy Of Victory) is no doubt a fantastic war memoir, I must say that the way battle strategies and maps are presented shows that this man was or rather is a good soldier.
Now let me get down to business, Alabi Isama spoilt his book in my opinion by dedicating a large chunk of it to "exposing" Obasanjo. Obj never wanted to be part of the war, Isama and Akinrinade coaxed him into joining the battlefield. This was after Col. Benjamin Adekunle Alabi isama's darling, had attempted to assassinate him along with Akinrinade. According to Isama's account, he and Akinrinade went to see Gen. Gowon to request a change in command, in their division(the Iconic 3rd Marine Commando). Gowon did not want to cause ethnic tensions by removing Adekunle a yoruba man, so he asked these two gentlemen to suggest a Yoruba man. Akinrinade suggested Obasanjo, an engineer. He did not suggest Oluleye or Olutoye. I am of the school of thought that postulates thus:
1. Isama and Akinrinade saw Obj as a weakling that they could easily control.

2. These two young men wanted to be in charge of that division.

Thus, when Isama and Akinrinade went to see Obj. He told them the truth that an engineer was not fit to command a war division. Isama then proceeded to tongue lash a man who is not only his senior in rank but in age as well. After analyzing Isama's fall and Akinrinade's rise in the army. I feel(and this is just me) that maybe, perhaps after isama had given his superior a dressing down, Akinrinade must have gone to obj and apologised for his colleague's temperance, like a true yoruba man, that is why Isama was sent packing from the division and Akinrinade made the GSO1(general staff officer, and de facto deputy). That is also why Akinrinade was a member of the Supreme Military Council, and Danjuma the COAS booted Alabi out. Mind you Danjuma was a key guest in Alabi Isama's book launch. And Adekunle's laughable apology was "I almost had you boys Killed". Obj as a civlilian president was a nightmare in the opinion of some Nigerians, but you can hardly call a man who defied Abacha a coward, when Lt. Gen. Diya was crying and begging his junior Maj. Al-Mustapha.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by ckkris: 9:36am On Jan 07, 2014
Obasanjo, an army engineer and Garrison Commander at Ibadan, like his colleague Victor Banjo, MAY have supported Biafra, at least initially, together with Gov Adebayo, and even Awolowo. That was the reason Banjo moved troops to Ore, and sent letter to Ibadan, by August 8. And Ogbemudia was with Banjo. But by August 12, Awo made a statement that he was supporting the Federal Govt, contradicting his previous pledge of NEUTRALITY. Civil War history will reveal many surprises.

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by DahomeyAmazon(f): 9:56am On Jan 07, 2014
Nice angle Op, I am tempted to agree with most of your points. I think isama is just a bitter old man who lost out because of his personal ambitions
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by ImperialYoruba: 10:02am On Jan 07, 2014
ckkris: Obasanjo, an army engineer and Garrison Commander at Ibadan, like his colleague Victor Banjo, MAY have supported Biafra, at least initially, together with Gov Adebayo, and even Awolowo. That was the reason Banjo moved troops to Ore, and sent letter to Ibadan, by August 8. And Ogbemudia was with Banjo. But by August 12, Awo made a statement that he was supporting the Federal Govt, contradicting his previous pledge of NEUTRALITY. Civil War history will reveal many surprises.

You dont come here talking !may have!. Give facts!! Did Obasanjo and Awo support Biafra or not? angry
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by ckkris: 10:11am On Jan 07, 2014
ImperialYoruba:

You dont come here talking !may have!. Give facts!! Did Obasanjo and Awo support Biafra or not? angry
Good question. Include Prof Oluwasanmi, then VC Unibadan. Major General James Olutoye provided some insights in his own bio.
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by vedd: 10:38am On Jan 07, 2014
Nice job, beautiful presentation of historical facts. Ethnic setimental bigots should keep off.

1 Like

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by khamas19: 11:12am On Jan 07, 2014
....sorry oo but can someone please elucitdate on the issue that Adekunle wanted to off them Isama

why would he want to do that?
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by ckkris: 11:34am On Jan 07, 2014
vedd: Nice job, beautiful presentation of historical facts. Ethnic setimental bigots should keep off.
Obasanjo was in Makurdi by the end of July 1969, and Major CK Nzeogwu, who Ojukwu didn't allow to be in any Biafran Army unit, was last seen alive by Mrs Rose Njoku, (wife of Biafran Army Chief, Hillary Njoku) at Opi junction, on July 29, mobilising volunteers to join him, in a personal foray behind Nigerian Army positions at Obolo Eke. One of Nzeogwu's volunteers was Ojukwu's younger brother Tom. Both Nzeogwu and Tom were found dead on July 31, by Nigerian troops. Its believed that Nzeogwu was attempting to make personal contact with Obasanjo. It will be good if Obasanjo IS WILLING TO DECLASSIFY THE LETTERS BETWEEN HIM AND NZEOGWU. But things were moving and changing very fast in those weeks that led up to the August troop movement by Victor Banjo. Another living witness is Ogbemudia. And its well known that Nzeogwu and most of members of January 15 coup, were not in support of the secession of Biafra, and were looking for how to stop the war that had already started. Emmanuel Ifeajuna and Victor Banjo were executed for what happened at Ore. CIVIL WAR HISTORY IS VERY NECESSARY.

1 Like

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by ckkris: 11:40am On Jan 07, 2014
khamas19: ....sorry oo but can someone please elucitdate on the issue that Adekunle wanted to off them Isama

why would he want to do that?
Isama has explained it severally, that it could be battle fatigue. Battlefield is a place everyone must look out for him/herself constantly, 24/7. An ally could suddenly turn a rifle against a closest buddy. Its called WAR.
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by khamas19: 12:42pm On Jan 07, 2014
ckkris: Isama has explained it severally, that it could be battle fatigue. Battlefield is a place everyone must look out for him/herself constantly, 24/7. An ally could suddenly turn a rifle against a closest buddy. Its called WAR.

..ha!! that one na akoba adaba ooo..
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by debetmx(m): 12:54pm On Jan 07, 2014
ckkris: Obasanjo, an army engineer and Garrison Commander at Ibadan, like his colleague Victor Banjo, MAY have supported Biafra, at least initially, together with Gov Adebayo, and even Awolowo. That was the reason Banjo moved troops to Ore, and sent letter to Ibadan, by August 8. And Ogbemudia was with Banjo. But by August 12, Awo made a statement that he was supporting the Federal Govt, contradicting his previous pledge of NEUTRALITY. Civil War history will reveal many surprises.

Obasanjo never supported biafra. For any reason Yoruba officers had been bypassed during the promotion promo by Aguiyi Ironsi for ibo and ibo speaking Officers. Victor Banjo had sent Wole Soyinka to Obasanjo to seek free passage to Lagos for a fee because there was no way the ill trained and equipped biafra forces could get to Lagos without being crushed but Obasanjo rejected the offer. It's totally condemnable that biafran propagandists, the cantankerous coward and even unborn ibos have accused Banjo of treachery. Victor Banjo at any point never supported secession which he showed in his speech to the Mid-West, words and deeds. Victor Banjo had stayed in the State House with ojukwu but moved out when the cantankerous coward declared secession. ojukwu probably chose Victor Banjo to lead the suicide expedition to Lagos so as to have him (Banjo) killed, which he finally succeeded by accusing of planning a coup. God bless Victor Banjo he took the bullet with his chest buffed out. That is an example of a man died for what he believed in.

Governor Adebayo Adeyinka was pro- Federal and never supported secession and war. Awolowo initially sympathized with the biafrans until the treacherous bastard tried to occupy our land using a Yoruba Officer.

3 Likes

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by KingTom(m): 1:35pm On Jan 07, 2014
debetmx:

Obasanjo never supported biafra. For any reason Yoruba officers had been bypassed during the promotion promo by Aguiyi Ironsi for ibo and ibo speaking Officers. Victor Banjo had sent Wole Soyinka to Obasanjo to seek free passage to Lagos for a fee because there was no way the ill trained and equipped biafra forces could get to Lagos without being crushed but Obasanjo rejected the offer. It's totally condemnable that biafran propagandists, the cantankerous coward and even unborn ibos have accused Banjo of treachery. Victor Banjo at any point never supported secession which he showed in his speech to the Mid-West, words and deeds. Victor Banjo had stayed in the State House with ojukwu but moved out when the cantankerous coward declared secession. ojukwu probably chose Victor Banjo to lead the suicide expedition to Lagos so as to have him (Banjo) killed, which he finally succeeded by accusing of planning a coup. God bless Victor Banjo he took the bullet with his chest buffed out. That is an example of a man died for what he believed in.

Governor Adebayo Adeyinka was pro- Federal and never supported secession and war. Awolowo initially sympathized with the biafrans until the treacherous bastard tried to occupy our land using a Yoruba Officer.

My friend, I did not write this book to stir up ethnic sentiments. Vedd has already warned you to keep off.

3 Likes

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by debetmx(m): 1:55pm On Jan 07, 2014
King Tom:

My friend, I did not write this book to stir up ethnic sentiments. Vedd has already warned you to keep off.

I only tried to put the records straight about Victor Banjo and if I overstepped my limits, I tender my unreserved apologies.

It just sucks when a group of people refer derogatorily to some persons just because they come from a particular tribe irrespective of what they did for them.

1 Like

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by ckkris: 2:01pm On Jan 07, 2014
debetmx:

Obasanjo never supported biafra.

Obasanjo supported the NEUTRALITY of the Western Region, up to the first week of August 1967. True or false? Why is unwilling to speak about his roles during that period? Awolowo relied on Gov Adebayo, Obasanjo the Garrison Commander, and few others, for Military Advice. Let Obasanjo publish the letters in his possession. Things will become very clear to all. Isama has mentioned Obasanjo, why doesn't he respond?
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by debetmx(m): 2:26pm On Jan 07, 2014
ckkris: Obasanjo supported the NEUTRALITY of the Western Region, up to the first week of August 1967. True or false? Why is unwilling to speak about his roles during that period? Awolowo relied on Gov Adebayo, Obasanjo the Garrison Commander, and few others, for Military Advice. Let Obasanjo publish the letters in his possession. Things will become very clear to all. Isama has mentioned Obasanjo, why doesn't he respond?

I still repeat Obasanjo never supported biafra. Also Adebayo never supported secession. I read it somewhere that when Awolowo came back from Enugu as head of the team who went to reconcile and conciliate with ojukwu, he approached senior Yoruba Officers about the possibility of Western Region seceding too and they asked him if he had the troops and weapons to do. Awolowo never raised the issue again. I guess it was Maj. Gen. Oluleye.

Obasanjo wrote a letter to GE, he has not responded.

1 Like

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by T9ksy(m): 2:55pm On Jan 07, 2014
debetmx:

I still repeat Obasanjo never supported biafra. Also Adebayo never supported secession. I read it somewhere that when Awolowo came back from Enugu as head of the team who went to reconcile and conciliate with ojukwu, he approached senior Yoruba Officers about the possibility of Western Region seceding too and they asked him if he had the troops and weapons to do. Awolowo never raised the issue again. I guess it was Maj. Gen. Oluleye.

Obasanjo wrote a letter to GE, he has not responded.

I believe what ckkris is saying is that Awolowo, Obj and the yorubas were NEUTRAL in the war at the onset and why then

didn't they maintain this neutrality whilst the ibos fight it out with their real enemies, the northerners, on yoruba soil? Why didn't Obasanjo

provide a free passage to Banjo and his biafran troops to Lagos, as part of his indifference to the war between the two former allies?

Am i right, ckkris?

1 Like

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by demmie1: 3:44pm On Jan 07, 2014
T9ksy:

I believe what ckkris is saying is that Awolowo, Obj and the yorubas were NEUTRAL in the war at the onset and why then

didn't they maintain this neutrality whilst the ibos fight it out with their real enemies, the northerners, on yoruba soil?
Why didn't Obasanjo

provide a free passage to Banjo and his biafran troops to Lagos, as part of his indifference to the war between the two former allies?

Am i right, ckkris?

Is he high?

1 Like

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by Bash92(m): 3:51pm On Jan 07, 2014
@ckkris
Am sorry if i sound disrespectful, but let us use our common sense here. You expect the Yoruba's to give the Biafran army a free passage to Lagos,so that they can turn there land to a battle feed?
What of the number of Yoruba's that will die during the battle in Lagos, in which Yoruba may gain nothing but incur severe damage.
Why cant they attack from the north, who they are in war with?

2 Likes

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by BLS1: 4:04pm On Jan 07, 2014
debetmx:

Though you put forward some good points and they clearly add to the discussion, I can't see why your tone is so harsh and insultive. So far this thread has been pretty civil and interesting so I think we should try and keep it that way no matter what side we are on.
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by ckkris: 4:05pm On Jan 07, 2014
debetmx:

The Civil War history of the United States is sold on the streets of Nigeria. Is it not necessary, that decision makers during the Nigerian Civil War, DECLASSIFY letters and other documents that can help people to STUDY those events? General Isama has written about field decisions. The speculations on who did what can be resolved if others respond to Isama's claims, that are mostly supported by General Akinrinade. If Ogbemudia has given any version, I haven't seen it. They will all be helpful.
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by BLS1: 4:08pm On Jan 07, 2014
debetmx:

I only tried to put the records straight about Victor Banjo and if I overstepped my limits, I tender my unreserved apologies.

It just sucks when a group of people refer derogatorily to some persons just because they come from a particular tribe irrespective of what they did for them.
Just seen this, well done my brother and keep advancing your argument with good points if you still feel you are right. Enjoyable thread so far.
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by debetmx(m): 4:23pm On Jan 07, 2014
ckkris: The Civil War history of the United States is sold on the streets of Nigeria. Is it not necessary, that decision makers during the Nigerian Civil War, DECLASSIFY letters and other documents that can help people to STUDY those events? General Isama has written about field decisions. The speculations on who did what can be resolved if others respond to Isama's claims, that are mostly supported by General Akinrinade. If Ogbemudia has given any version, I haven't seen it. They will all be helpful.

I know Ogbemudia has written a book about the civil war. Obasanjo also wrote a book about the war, "My command: An account of the Nigerian civil war, 1967-1970". I have not read any of the two books anyway.
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by ckkris: 4:24pm On Jan 07, 2014
Bash92: @ckkris
Am sorry if i sound disrespectful, but let us use our common sense here. You expect the Yoruba's to give the Biafran army a free passage to Lagos,so that they can turn there land to a battle feed?
What of the number of Yoruba's that will die during the battle in Lagos, in which Yoruba may gain nothing but incur severe damage.
Why cant they attack from the north, who they are in war with?
I explained that there was exchange of letters between Obasanjo and Nzeogwu, as they sought to stop the Civil War. Declassifying those letters would help. Its close to 50 years since those events. I said that Nzeogwu's published interviews show that he and some officers weren't comfortable with secession. Nzeogwu was only about 30 years old, doing all the things he did. Then recall that against enormous odds, Obasanjo wrote glowing tribute titled Chukwuma. There are many great stories that have not yet been told. And they seem necessary.
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by ckkris: 4:42pm On Jan 07, 2014
It is also time to
STUDY how Nigerian troops fared in Liberia and Siera Leone, why and how did Nigeria lost too many soldiers, including a Brigadier General. Who were their commanders? If we know so much of General Patton's command in Europe during WW2, its good to know about General Domkat Bali.
Now one is doubt of the competence of General Godwin Alabi-Isama

1 Like

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by ckkris: 4:47pm On Jan 07, 2014
debetmx:

I know Ogbemudia has written a book about the civil war.

Ok. I will look out for it. Its all part of Nigeria's history.
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by Sloan: 5:48pm On Jan 07, 2014
T9ksy:

didn't they maintain this neutrality whilst the ibos fight it out with their real enemies, the northerners, on yoruba soil? Why didn't Obasanjo

Am i right, ckkris?

Wait, did you mean to write that or it dropped out from your head while you were subconscious? Why do you people not see common sense and use it prudently? So, you mean the Yorubas should give you free passage through their land? Why did you not give free passage to all the minorities to keep their land and people away from biafra? No, you had to grab those lands and force their people to become biafra soldiers but you are begging a bigger power to close their eyes so you can go through their lands? The height of irresponsible stupi.dity! What is free in war? Did Ojukwu not have that planned and figured out before he declared secession and brought war? Oh, and you trying to gain access to our land because you are interested in attacking the Northerners but you first come West? If it is not madness, then it means you and your ilk have no grey matter upstairs! If you want to fight the northerners, then go directly to the north; not miss your way to another man's land because that is why you were handed your ass on a blood stained platter! Ibos should stay away from Yorubaland, YOU ARE NO LONGER WELCOME IN OUR LAND simple and I don't care what you or anyone thinks about my position!

1 Like

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by solomon111(m): 6:03pm On Jan 07, 2014
Sloan:

Wait, did you mean to write that or it dropped out from your head while you were subconscious? Why do you people not see common sense and use it prudently? So, you mean the Yorubas should give you free passage through their land? Why did you not give free passage to all the minorities to keep their land and people away from biafra? No, you had to grab those lands and force their people to become biafra soldiers but you are begging a bigger power to close their eyes so you can go through their lands? The height of irresponsible stupi.dity! What is free in war? Did Ojukwu not have that planned and figured out before he declared secession and brought war? Oh, and you trying to gain access to our land because you are interested in attacking the Northerners but you first come West? If it is not madness, then it means you and your ilk have no grey matter upstairs! If you want to fight the northerners, then go directly to the north; not miss your way to another man's land because that is why you were handed your ass on a blood stained platter! Ibos should stay away from Yorubaland, YOU ARE NO LONGER WELCOME IN OUR LAND simple and I don't care what you or anyone thinks about my position!
Don't worry.
Your people would soon be kicked out of the niger-delta enmass.
It's only a matter of time.
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by Pangea: 6:17pm On Jan 07, 2014
Where is Katsumoto? grin
Lol
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:24pm On Jan 07, 2014
ckkris: Good question. Include Prof Oluwasanmi, then VC Unibadan. Major General James Olutoye provided some insights in his own bio.
Professor Hezekiah Oluwasanmi was the VC of Unife not Unibadan.

2 Likes

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by KingTom(m): 6:44pm On Jan 07, 2014
Sloan:

Please Ladies and Gentlemen, I have stated earlier that this post was not meant to stir up ethnic tensions. Having read the past post-civil war comments and witnessed harsh words that were traded. I have decided to do what I call damage control. Therefore, Sloan I urge you to toe the path of Debetmx and tender an apology. This is meant to be a panel of interesting debates, not a mini war theatre where insults are hurled from one to the other.

1 Like

Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by Sloan: 6:57pm On Jan 07, 2014
King Tom:

Please Ladies and Gentlemen, I have stated earlier that this post was not meant to stir up ethnic tensions. Having read the past post-civil war comments and witnessed harsh words that were traded. I have decided to do what I call damage control. Therefore, Sloan I urge you to toe the path of Debetmx and tender an apology. This is meant to be a panel of interesting debates, not a mini war theatre where insults are hurled from one to the other.

Guy, I spoke my mind (and no doubt a lot of others) BUT I stand down on your very gracious appeal.
Re: Brigadier-general Alabi Isama's Rants. by KingTom(m): 7:04pm On Jan 07, 2014
Sloan:

Guy, I spoke my mind (and no doubt a lot of others) BUT I stand down on your very gracious appeal.

I understand your position, and you are entitled to speak your mind, but please try to be a bit more subtle next time.
I thank you for standing down, it shows real character and indeed maturity.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Arrives Nigeria - The Secret Photo They Don't Want You To See / Dasuki Weapons Claims And Nairalanders Ignorance / DID FFK Call Allah A Demon???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.