Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,420 members, 7,808,510 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:52 PM

Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc (3589 Views)

Error Code 8004100e Installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1,unable To Upgrade To W10 / Windows Xp Service Pack 2 Activation / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by goodguy(m): 12:36am On Jun 23, 2006
Each time I install SP2 on my PC, it freezes at intervals, showing some straight lines across the screen.  Even when I loaded Windows XP professional, with service pack 2 already integrated into it, I continued having the same problems.  I have formatted and re-formatted this PC so many times, and after installing SP2, the same problem arises again.

What could be the problem?  Is there any solution to this?  Or is my PC just incompatible with SP2, and I should forget about installing it?  

NB.  The XP currently running on this PC does not even have a service pack.  I am scared of installing any (either SP1 or SP2) to prevent the loss of a bunch of important files, programs and software I have on this PC; since I will have to format the hard drive if I experience the problem again.  But then, some programs cannot run on this PC because I don't have SP2 e.g. IE7, Windows Defender, Windows Media Player 11 (Beta), etc. undecided

Guys, please help a brother here. embarassed cry
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by WesleyanA(f): 9:28pm On Jun 23, 2006
take your pc to a professional or get a new one.
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by gentleone(f): 9:41am On Jun 28, 2006
@goodguy,could be a memory problem if u're getting straight lines across the screen and its hanging. change the memory card.
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by Seun(m): 2:58pm On Jun 28, 2006
Try using a different graphics card (recommended) or updating the driver of the current one you're using.
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by goodguy(m): 11:03pm On Jun 28, 2006
gentleone:

@goodguy,could be a memory problem if u're getting straight lines across the screen and its hanging. change the memory card.
I had 256MB of RAM on it.  I just added another 128MB RAM to it last week, making it a total of 368MB (with 16MB shared), though I haven't installed any service pack yet.  I am thinking of reformatting the PC again as soon as I get a 1GB flash drive of my own (I have loads of files and softs on this pc); so I'll try installing SP2 and see if it'll work.  Thanks anyway for your advice.

Seun:

Try using a different graphics card (recommended) or updating the driver of the current one you're using.
Is graphics card the same as VGA card?
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by vokalguy(m): 7:32pm On Jul 11, 2006
yo goodguy, when u reformatted ur pc, did u install the updates from the microsoft website cus u can't just install service pack 2 without installing updates that were made b4 they created sp2. And then u said u installed more memory, u should have added another 256 MB and not the one u said u added cus then the system would not be able 2 run on dual channel mode, i hope u get wat i am saying but if u don't its all good, get a new system
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by goodguy(m): 10:23pm On Jul 11, 2006
vokal_guy:

yo goodguy, when u reformatted your pc, did u install the updates from the microsoft website cus u can't just install service pack 2 without installing updates that were made before they created sp2.
Yes, I did the first time. But in susbsequent re-formattings, I just installed SP2 straight on, but all yielded the same result.

vokal_guy:

And then u said u installed more memory, u should have added another 256 MB and not the one u said u added cus then the system would not be able 2 run on dual channel mode, i hope u get what i am saying but if u don't its all good, get a new system
Well, since i added the 128MB RAM, it's been okay so far. The PC even boots faster than before now, and I haven't had any freezing problems with it.

I should reformat the system soon. I am still waiting for some things to be in order first of all. BTW, I am also considering installing Windows Vista this time around. Any suggestions/comments concerning that?
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by vokalguy(m): 2:09am On Jul 12, 2006
goodguy:

Yes, I did the first time. But in susbsequent re-formattings, I just installed SP2 straight on, but all yielded the same result.
Well, since i added the 128MB RAM, it's been okay so far. The PC even boots faster than before now, and I haven't had any freezing problems with it.

I should reformat the system soon. I am still waiting for some things to be in order first of all. BTW, I am also considering installing Windows Vista this time around. Any suggestions/comments concerning that?

Goodguy, if u just install sp2 without the updates, i'm sorry dude, ur pc will not function well, u see the memory u added was good but vista runs on a minimum of 512 MB of memory, A modern processor (at least 800MHz1) and A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable. So i guess if ur pc meets that standard, get ready for vista , its gonna be relseased in January 07

Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by goodguy(m): 11:01pm On Aug 10, 2006
Thanks man. But I've been seeing PC's with lower requirements and have vista running on them. It'll be released in January 07? What about the ones I've been seeing here in naija, at computer villa to be precise?
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by vokalguy(m): 6:09am On Aug 13, 2006
lol well my friend, vista will run alright but according to microsoft, for you to really enjoy ur experience wit vista, u have to have at least the minimum requirements, and thats wat i posted, i mean i have installed xp on a windows 98 laptop, i have tried all these things, it worked but dude it was slow,
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by goodguy(m): 11:44pm On Aug 17, 2006
Okay. . so you were saying something about the release date, right?
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by Ogisosoft(m): 4:15pm On Aug 22, 2006
Check ur RAM. that is sign of memory problem.
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by goodguy(m): 6:35pm On Aug 23, 2006
Thanks. I'll get back to you guys when next I format this pc.
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 23, 2006
You're lucky
I tried to download SP2 from http://download.microsoft.com and their links are f##ked up.
You even have SP2. I won't mind swapping my computer with yours grin

Tayo
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by Chxta(m): 9:50pm On Aug 23, 2006
Ever since I migrated to Linux, I've not had major problems. But then I'm just making noise. . .

What do you need SP2 for?
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by goodguy(m): 11:09pm On Aug 23, 2006
ajiboyet,

I don't have SP2.  Each time I install, it frezeez my pc, which usually forces me to reformat the PC.  But since I have added another memory to it, I haven't formatted it so I don't know if SP2 will work on it with the added 128MB RAM, since I haven't bothered installing it again.

By the way, have you tried downloading from Softpedia.com?

Chxta:

What do you need SP2 for?

For these same reasons, and more. =====>

thebadguy:

But then, some programs cannot run on this PC because I don't have SP2 e.g. IE7, Windows Defender, Windows Media Player 11 (Beta), etc. undecided
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by Chxta(m): 11:49pm On Aug 23, 2006
Instead of IE7, use Firefox. Instead of WinDefender, use Zone Alarm. Instead of WMP11, use Jet Audio. You wouldn't need SP2
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 24, 2006
I can't even find a correct link to download it, not to talk of installing it. That's what I mean when I say their links are f##ked
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by goodguy(m): 8:29pm On Aug 24, 2006
ajiboyet, have you checked the link I included in my post?

chxta, thanks. But I have my preferences.
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 25, 2006
@chxta

Mine also isn't about the browser. it's about a vb download as i said earlier
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by goodguy(m): 9:45pm On Aug 25, 2006
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by Chxta(m): 12:02am On Aug 26, 2006
thebadguy's link should work ajiboyet. . .
Re: Win Xp Service Pack 2 Freezes My Pc by Nobody: 9:51pm On Aug 26, 2006
Gosh!
I'm scaredy scaredy scared of any dangerous stuff
If anything happens to my computer I'll hold thebadguy and chxta responsible (joke) grin

Tayo

(1) (Reply)

Best Broadband Internet In Lekki (lagos) - Close To Lagoon (facing Ikoyi) / Driver Detective Version: 6.5.0.14 Working Serial Needed / God Bless Airtel, Low Internet Tariff And Low Call Rate 12 Per Minute.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.