Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,134 members, 7,807,439 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:34 PM

Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? (4919 Views)

Do Hausa Men Smoke? / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary / Why Do Hausa Pple Like Tea? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by DeepZone: 9:41pm On Aug 14, 2008
Originally Posted By Queenisha,
I don't care for those their tasteless meatless foods.
Their culture that appeals to me is the way they flog would be suitors
kai!!

they just line them up and flog the living daylights out of them while the drummers are drumming.
The wimps are weeded out and the brave one gets the chick
Southerners ought to adopt that culture
let's get rid of all the shemales attempting to marry wives.
If you can't survive ordinary 50 lashes of koboko, how can you handle a whole institution called marriage.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-159262.0.html

Why do Hausa's flog suitors becoming giving him their daughter? Does that mean that all those that married 10 wives got flogged each and every time they marry? Can you bypass that culture in Hausa land either by giving them money or something else? Is this practiced everywhere in Hausaland?

Will you like your people to adopt such culture and of course apply it even after the man marries your sister and messes up along the line?
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by tpia: 1:02am On Aug 15, 2008
I thought it was a Fulani thing? The rural Fulani, not the urban ones.

They have a festival where potential suitors get flogged. Whoever shows the most endurance, gets the girl.

Actually, I think the girl herself chooses the one who remains standing after the flogging. If the man shows pain while being flogged, he's considered a weakling who can't take care of a family. Its seen as a big shame.

I never actually witnessed one of these ceremonies but I heard about it from others.

There's also a description in one of these Nigerian novels- maybe Burning Grass, I think.
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by AloyEmeka9: 1:49am On Aug 15, 2008
Dem no born them well. i rather go marry for Ethiopia had it been igbos do that too.
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by tpia: 1:50am On Aug 15, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

Dem no born them well. i rather go marry for Ethiopia had it been igbos do that too.

unless they also flog in Ethiopia.
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by DeepZone: 5:47pm On Aug 15, 2008
I thought it was a Fulani thing? The rural Fulani, not the urban ones.

They have a festival where potential suitors get flogged. Whoever shows the most endurance, gets the girl.

Actually, I think the girl herself chooses the one who remains standing after the flogging. If the man shows pain while being flogged, he's considered a weakling who can't take care of a family. Its seen as a big shame.

I never actually witnessed one of these ceremonies but I heard about it from others.

There's also a description in one of these Nigerian novels- maybe Burning Grass, I think.

I can't honestly differentiate between hausa and Fulani and I heard the likes of Abacha,Babangida,Atiku etc are neither, which means they may not even be able to speak hausa language.
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by Sisikill: 5:50pm On Aug 15, 2008
@ Topic
Jeebus, Marion and Justine shocked

ROTFLMAO!!
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by tpia: 5:58pm On Aug 15, 2008
DeepZone:

I can't honestly differentiate between hausa and Fulani and I heard the likes of Abacha,Babangida,Atiku etc are neither, which means they may not even be able to speak hausa language.

Abacha is originally Kanuri though he was born in kano. Kanuris are distinct from Hausa, but Yorubas tend to group all of them together.They're majorly in Borno state (lake Chad). Sokoto is on the other side, and traditionally, used to have some rivalry with the Kanuri empire. They (the Kanuri) blocked Usman dan Fodio when he was conquering northern Nigeria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanem_Empire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokoto_Caliphate

Babangida is Nupe, I think. Rumor has it his mom was originally from Ogbomoso, but who knows.

Atiku seems to be Fulani, though maybe a town one. The town Fulanis tend to be easily confused with Hausa, since there's a lot of mixing between them.
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by DeepZone: 8:30pm On Aug 15, 2008
Abacha is originally Kanuri though he was born in kano. Kanuris are distinct from Hausa, but Yorubas tend to group all of them together.They're majorly in Borno state (lake Chad). Sokoto is on the other side, and traditionally, used to have some rivalry with the Kanuri empire. They (the Kanuri) blocked Usman dan Fodio when he was conquering northern Nigeria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanem_Empire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokoto_Caliphate

Babangida is Nupe, I think. Rumor has it his mom was originally from Ogbomoso, but who knows.

Atiku seems to be Fulani, though maybe a town one. The town Fulanis tend to be easily confused with Hausa, since there's a lot of mixing between them.

Do they have different languages like yoruba is different from Benin language or ibibio is different from ibo because I think they are playing us with these mixtures? Does it mean that the Fulani man communicates with the Hausa or Kanuri man with english or pidgin?
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 15, 2008
roflmao omg
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by tpia: 9:02pm On Aug 15, 2008
DeepZone:

Do they have different languages like yoruba is different from Benin language or ibibio is different from ibo because I think they are playing us with these mixtures? Does it mean that the Fulani man communicates with the Hausa or Kanuri man with english or pidgin?

Most Fulani speak the general lingua franca of wherever they settle, but they also have their own language called Fulfulde. A few outsiders can speak it, but not many. I did use to know a Yoruba woman who spoke their language fluently. And if you go to kwara, many of the Fulani there speak very fluent Yoruba.

So most Fulanis probably speak hausa, and interact in the language, up north.

Kanuris speak their own kanuri language.

However, I guess most northerners can communicate in hausa regardless of tribe.
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by grafikdon: 9:17pm On Aug 15, 2008
The Tivs apply the bulala treatment too. You get the daylight flogged out of you before you law your hands on the bride. . . assuming you didn't run away during the 'rite of manhood'
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by DeepZone: 9:37pm On Aug 15, 2008
Most Fulani speak the general lingua franca of wherever they settle, but they also have their own language called Fulfulde. A few outsiders can speak it, but not many. I did use to know a Yoruba woman who spoke their language fluently. And if you go to kwara, many of the Fulani there speak very fluent Yoruba.

So most Fulanis probably speak hausa, and interact in the language, up north.

Kanuris speak their own kanuri language.

However, I guess most northerners can communicate in hausa regardless of tribe

Ok
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by DeepZone: 9:38pm On Aug 15, 2008
The Tivs apply the bulala treatment too. You get the daylight flogged out of you before you law your hands on the bride. . . assuming you didn't run away during the 'rite of manhood'

I wish they hire me to do the flogging, some men will cry blood.
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by wiser: 11:26pm On Aug 15, 2008
which part of hausa does Yaradua comes from
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by Queenisha: 12:20am On Aug 16, 2008
DeepZone:

ROFL.
Funmi you dey wicked.
I'm sure you'll demand that they appear butterball naked and get tied to a log of wood.
They'll see stars I tell ya.
when will they adopt this culture in Igboland ?
Some people deserve it.
( e.g. Mr Iheme that killed his wife in Minnesota recently,someone should have since flogged the demons out of him b4 this tragedy.)
Infact his would-be inlaws should do the flogging.
They should do it with all their might grin
That way if the man turns out to be an abusive husband,the inlaws would have had their revenge way ahead of time. grin
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by Queenisha: 12:23am On Aug 16, 2008
I propose that the flogging should be repeated every couple of years even after marriage grin
That way some men would be forced to treat their wives right and they'll flog him with lighter strokes at flogging season if not, they ought to go to town on his buttocks and teach him a bitter lesson. grin
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by grafikdon: 12:27am On Aug 16, 2008
shocked shocked shocked Ojigbijigbi!!!! Nwandoleesha and Deepzone, na so una get 'special' plans for us? Chei!!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by onyinye2(f): 12:28am On Aug 16, 2008
grafikdon:

shocked shocked shocked Ojigbijigbi!!!! Nwandoleesha and Deepzone, na so una get 'special' plans for us? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
LMAO!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by Queenisha: 12:29am On Aug 16, 2008
grafikdon:

shocked shocked shocked Ojigbijigbi!!!! Nwandoleesha and Deepzone, na so una get 'special' plans for us? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

You better believe it
desperate times call for desperate measures.
If you have a better solution tell me grin
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by Queenisha: 12:30am On Aug 16, 2008
male marital flogging
coming to a tribe near you
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by onyinye2(f): 12:32am On Aug 16, 2008
Queenisha:

male marital flogging
coming to a tribe near you
I would pay good money to see that. . . .
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by grafikdon: 12:32am On Aug 16, 2008
Queenisha:

You better believe it
desperate times call for desperate measures.
If you have a better solution tell me grin

grin grin  I've been salivating over two girls. . . one from your state and one from Deepzone's state. . . my liver don dey cut small small. . . lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by joshjosh(m): 12:40am On Aug 16, 2008
DeepZone:

Queenisha:

ROFL. Funmi you dey wicked.grin

I WAS JUST GOING TO SAY THIS PERSON WAS FUNMI BEFORE YOU HELPED OUT. funmi you are still at work? ekuse o
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by Queenisha: 12:44am On Aug 16, 2008
grafikdon:

grin grin I've been salivating over two girls. . . one from your state and one from Deepzone's state. . . my liver don dey cut small small. . . lipsrsealed

get ready to pull your pants down and receive your afternoon tea 50 strokes.

are they pretty? add another 50
college educated? 50 more
can they cook? plus 50
are they from rich homes? add 50
do they look fertile? increase by 50

The question now is,can you pay the price?
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by grafikdon: 12:49am On Aug 16, 2008
Queenisha:

can they cook? plus 50

Osanobua!!! shocked shocked shocked

Mba nu, I deserve a discount. . . I demand a discount.  angry

I see bulala coming to dance ikwokirikwo on my bare back. . .  I run  grin
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by Queenisha: 12:52am On Aug 16, 2008
grafikdon:

Osanobua!!! shocked shocked shocked

Mba nu, I deserve a discount. . . I demand a discount. angry

I see bulala coming to dance ikwokirikwo on my bare back. . . I run grin

Ok now.
You're stuck with ugly girls with missing teeth and no wombs.
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by grafikdon: 12:55am On Aug 16, 2008
Queenisha:

Ok now.
You're stuck with ugly girls with missing teeth and no wombs.

I still have enough time to harvest one of the girls before you pass the 'rite of manhood' bill. . . grin
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by DeepZone: 5:25am On Aug 16, 2008
Ojigbijigbi!!!! Nwandoleesha and Deepzone, na so una get 'special' plans for us? Chei!!!

Yesooo; Had it been the Yorubas have that kind of culture ehn, I'll apply to be one of the floggers. God help the man they'll assign to me because i'll gym for 3 weeks so I can develop enough muscles that can help me maximize the force I'll apply to inflict a maximum pain. I'll treat my bilala with Izal so that it can soften the surface area before I apply the cain.
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by DeepZone: 5:26am On Aug 16, 2008

can they cook? plus 50

And, are they Funmi? add another 1500. grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by DeepZone: 5:27am On Aug 16, 2008

I WAS JUST GOING TO SAY THIS PERSON WAS FUNMI BEFORE YOU HELPED OUT. funmi you are still at work? ekuse o

Who be this JoshJosh again?
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by DeepZone: 5:28am On Aug 16, 2008
I've been salivating over two girls. . . one from your state and one from Deepzone's state. . . my liver don dey cut small small. .

Coward!!! Na fear go make your type go marry Chinese or from Damascus,
Re: Why Do Hausa's Flog Their Potential Inlaws? by ogb5(m): 5:49am On Aug 16, 2008
floggged b4 marriage.Not for me,
I will simply look some where else for a wife.
I remember ibo & yoruba babes are equal to any task,
why endure bulala for Huasa babe when i get options.

Another option, run with the babe and avoid the bulala cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

12 Things To Remember In Life / Yoruba Proverb - Unity Is Strength / Translation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.