Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,869 members, 7,798,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:03 PM

Ex-ume Highest Scorer Turned Armed Robber - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ex-ume Highest Scorer Turned Armed Robber (1019 Views)

Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? / Imo State University Post Ume Update / Jamb Highest Scorer - 38 Years Old Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-ume Highest Scorer Turned Armed Robber by yemo(m): 8:31am On Aug 15, 2008
The Oyo State police command is now faced with the task of establishing the veracity of the claims by a 2002 highest scorer of the Universities Matriculation Examination, Adio Kolawole, that he is not an armed robber.

Kolawole and three members of his alleged gang were among the suspected criminals paraded by the Commissioner of Police at the state command, Mr. Bashiru Azeez, on Thursday in Ibadan.

The police boss alleged that Kolawole was the kingpin of the gang that had on many occasions tormented the University of Ibadan community, especially the female students.

In an interview with journalists, the alleged gang leader, however, insisted that he was not an armed robber, but a member of a cult group operating within the university campus.

Kolawole said he became a victim of circumstance after graduating from the UI, where he claimed to have studied Physiology from the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, with matriculation number 110782.

According to the CP, Kolawole and members of his alleged gang were caught with one revolver, three live ammunition, one dagger, one knife and one black belt at a bush path where they had ordered their victims to report.

He said that the suspects had earlier robbed some female students of valuables, but not satisfied with their loot, they ordered their victims, who reside on Carpenter Street, Agbowo, to report at the bush path with more valuables.

Azeez said that the suspects were rounded up when they ran into an ambush laid by the police at the meeting point.

Kolawole said he relapsed into the world of crime due to unbearable pressure mounted on him by some cultists when he enrolled at the UI.

He said, “Because I led the UME exam of that year, they insisted that I should join them. I scored 320 when I sat for the UME in 2002.

“When the cultists knew about my brilliance, they started troubling me that I should join them. I reported to a policeman who, unknown to me, was the one bringing unsuspecting young ones into the Eiye Confraternity.

“It was not a thing I originally wanted to do. When I reported to him that a boy was troubling me, the policeman arrested him and then let him off the hook after 24 hours.

“I that reported the matter to him was held as a culprit and detained for three weeks. When I was eventually released, the cult leader boasted to me that nothing could happen to him and that if I did not join them, he would kill me.

“I was then forced to join the cult. But if I am pardoned, if they don’t kill me, I hope to join the police to help reduce criminality.”

Although he claimed that he was not an armed robber, he said that he only forcibly collected handsets from some female undergraduates, which he had since returned to them.

Kolawole added that the gun found in his possession belonged to a friend who kept it with him when they left a party.

http://punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200808151371126
what a sorry situation,Iwonder what the futures holds for this generation
Re: Ex-ume Highest Scorer Turned Armed Robber by Madea19(f): 8:45am On Aug 15, 2008
Meehhhn,dis is really sumthing 2 ponder oo
Re: Ex-ume Highest Scorer Turned Armed Robber by Mustay(m): 12:23pm On Aug 15, 2008
police arrested the dude.

What about the Policeman who owns the confraternity?
Re: Ex-ume Highest Scorer Turned Armed Robber by Dclique(m): 5:53pm On Aug 15, 2008
it was pressure 4m those cultist that made him join d gang, i thnk he mayb detained then pardoned.see hw a smart young mans life is going down d drain.
Re: Ex-ume Highest Scorer Turned Armed Robber by Phemour: 12:26pm On Aug 16, 2008
hmmmm, JAMB 2002 highest score announcement made kolawole become cultism
Re: Ex-ume Highest Scorer Turned Armed Robber by lobinoxebe(m): 12:42pm On Aug 16, 2008
DOnt know what NIgerian Institution are turning into, Only God can save, The cult i know only do things to protect themself and others from being harmed, not stealing and posession of Guns,

Only JESUS CAN SAVE
Re: Ex-ume Highest Scorer Turned Armed Robber by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 17, 2008
Managing success could be difficult. The guy mismanaged his success, what the Yoruba will call 'o fayo fo'. Granted that the Cultists truly threatened him, there is a way he could have played his game and escape from these evil men. Afterall, there are more brilliant students!!!

(1) (Reply)

Any1 From University Of Portsmouth? / Uni.ibadan 2009/2010 Post Ume / f

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.