Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,831 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? (3818 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Disbelieve T.B Joshua, Chris Okafor's Miracles? See Reasons / Pastor Chris Warns Comedians: Don't Joke With Men Of God! / Unfulfilled Prophecies By Men Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 1:55am On Aug 18, 2008
madamkoko:

No one is proposing punishment for having religious beliefs.
Omo, then how do you plan on carrying this about eh? You think by simply telling a person that your religion is banned will make them stop? Do not kill me in laughter this evening.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by chiogo(f): 1:56am On Aug 18, 2008
Madamkoko
[Quote]Do you mean that Nigerians worship these men, to get themselves out of poverty?[/quote]
I'm guessing this part is the reason.
Texcee
[Quote]There is no black country in the world where idol worshiping doesn't take place.
Even some blacks in the US. are into this (esp in the south) not to mention the blacks
in cuba, brazil, australia etc.
It is indeed the black race as I said earlier.[/quote]
Ok, I'll take your word for it, since I haven't been to those countries.

@Onyinye2, I'm not talking about the churches in the States but the ones in Nigeria. You know americans don't have the poverty problem like Nigeria does. That's why I said poverty might be a reason. Lots of Nigerians go to these big churches because they're popular for 'miracles'. They expect these pastors to help them get rich by worshipping them as if they're God.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 1:59am On Aug 18, 2008
chiogo:

@Onyinye2, I'm not talking about the churches in the States but the ones in Nigeria. You know americans don't have the poverty problem like Nigeria does. That's why I said poverty might be a reason. Lots of Nigerians go to these big churches because they're popular for 'miracles'. They expect these pastors to help them get rich by worshipping them as if they're God.
These people are nothing but opportunist. They believe that by going to these Mega Churches, salvation will come instantly. Do you blame them? Look at television. How many times is it advertised of these Nigerian pastors bringing so called healing to these people? Majority of the time. Heck i even view these churches in the states in my own television.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 2:01am On Aug 18, 2008
You think by simply telling a person that your religion is banned will make them stop? Do not kill me in laughter this evening

Not simply telling but REGULATING.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 2:01am On Aug 18, 2008
madamkoko:

Not simply telling but REGULATING.
Regulating how? By word of mouth?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 2:07am On Aug 18, 2008
Do you know anything about policies or laws. ?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 2:09am On Aug 18, 2008
madamkoko:

Do you know anything about policies or laws. ?
Yes i do. And these laws are enforced. And if broken, there is a punishment waiting. So is that what you want?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 2:14am On Aug 18, 2008
Yes i do. And these laws are enforced. And if broken, there is a punishment waiting. So is that what you want?

Now you are making Nigeria sound like a jungle. In America, Pastors/Churches are audited regularly and if a pastor/church entity is accussed of fraud the Pastor goes to Jail/pays a fine, pays the money back, something.

Rules are Rules if one breaks the rules then there are consequences.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 2:16am On Aug 18, 2008
madamkoko:

Now you are making Nigeria sound like a jungle. In America, Pastors/Churches are audited regularly and if a pastor/church entity is accussed of fraud the Pastor goes to Jail/pays a fine, pays the money back, something.
Rules are Rules if one breaks the rules then there are consequences.
Oka where are you getting at? I want to know how you plan on enforcing banning religion?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 2:18am On Aug 18, 2008
Oka where are you getting at? I want to know how you plan on enforcing banning religion?

If thats your question ASK, no need to beat around the bush.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 2:20am On Aug 18, 2008
madamkoko:

If thats your question ASK, no need to beat around the bush.
Oka then i will put it in clear english, HOW DO YOU PLAN ON ENFORCING BANNING RELIGION IN NIGERIA?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 4:19am On Aug 18, 2008
HOW DO YOU PLAN ON ENFORCING BANNING RELIGION IN NIGERIA?

By creating laws and policies.

For example, In the U.S except in poor neighborhoods, you just can't open a church anywhere. Places are zoned. Pastors have to be certified like any other job function. Churches cannot open a school/or a business under the church name. I'm sure there are many examples we can follow, I dont think that I ought to reinvent the wheel we just need more research.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 4:02pm On Aug 18, 2008
And how do you plan on carrying out these so call laws and policies?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by AKO1(m): 4:26pm On Aug 18, 2008
@ Topic

The men of God who promise miracles, signs and wonders etc are human beings we can see. Whereas the God that is behind them (or some of them) is invisible.

And seeing the invisible is something that cannot be done naturally. It can only be done by faith. Hence, people focus on the man and not on God. Simple.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 4:29pm On Aug 18, 2008
what happened to Jesus ?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by AKO1(m): 4:48pm On Aug 18, 2008
madamkoko:

what happened to Jesus ?

i.e.?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 5:40pm On Aug 18, 2008
Meaning: why don't people focus on Jesus. Jesus was human and was not invisible according to the bible.

Also, isn't that the point of the bible, for xtians to see examples and to focus on examples given in the Bible and not these men trying to make a buck a two.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 5:41pm On Aug 18, 2008
I think focusing on these men makes MANY, MANY believers go astray. Away from God's word and plan.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 5:41pm On Aug 18, 2008
madamkoko, do you plan on answering my question?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 5:42pm On Aug 18, 2008
I have told you laws and policies.

Example China. I'm not going to sit here and write a 25 page paper so that you can read.

China is an example as I have stated previously.

In America, there is a separation of church and state. 

Laws and Policies can be created to guide a society.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 5:45pm On Aug 18, 2008
Yes United States has separation of church and state, but remember, they aint banning religion.

So you want Nigeria to follow the code of China when it comes to banning religion?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 5:52pm On Aug 18, 2008
I don't want to say Yes exactly but certain parts can be modified.

China is doing well economically isn't it ?   I mean it has the largest increase in the number of the middle class since America in the 1960s.

In fact, I was reading in a newspaper today, how Chinese officials  threw away bibles tourists planned on distributing to people. I'm obviously not proposing anything this drastic. lol. (just wanted to mention it)
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 5:54pm On Aug 18, 2008
Are you aware of all the tribulations China had to go through to get how it is now? Do you know how many decades it took? And yet they still have people questioning them. What would be modified?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 6:03pm On Aug 18, 2008
Yes ma, I'm aware. you really want to know. Dont you?  In fact, I have trying/working soo hard to avoid your question.  grin

Actually I'm writing an article :a proposal on banning religion in Africa. thats my thesis and how it will help the continent move forward.

I use china as an example. Don't want to spill the beans too much but will give you a briefing.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 6:07pm On Aug 18, 2008
In your proposal, will you finally mention how you plan on enforcing this ban?

What will you do with those fail to abide by it?

What will you do with the churches, mosques, temples?

What will you do with the religious music artist and music?

What will you do with the bibles and Qurans?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 6:08pm On Aug 18, 2008
How about I send you the article when I'm done.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 6:13pm On Aug 18, 2008
How about you admiting that it aint going to work.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 6:14pm On Aug 18, 2008
I won't throw the idea away. Theres a strong possiblity for anything.

Its only a proposal and I'm entitled to write.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 6:15pm On Aug 18, 2008
Your proposal will be seen as another Comic Nollywood movie.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by lucabrasi(m): 7:24pm On Aug 18, 2008
@topic
i wont go as far as saying people worship men of GOD,ill give you a quick example here, when you r in secondary school or university,didnt you have a favourite teacher or lecturer that all the students liked and listened to?some girls will even have a crush on the favourite teacher and u never forget them or their name, thats kinda what people feel for their pastors,you will agree that is not worshipping the teacher or lecturer
men of GOD are not just religious leaders,but your psychiatrists,confidant e.t.c do you know the level of commitment these people give their churches ebfore building up that level of loyalty?your pastor will be by your side in any trouble even before your family,your pastor will plead with your boss,business partners e.t.c on your behalf,be a marriage counsellor,even matchmaker, now imagine someone doing all that for you and you are in a position to make his life easier wouldnt you do so?
or if someone oe some people was bad mouthing him,wouldnt you stand up for him?
so its not worshipping the man of GOD but realising his importaqnce in our lives,you will stick up for your dad ,brother e.t.c because you love and respect them
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by AKO1(m): 7:33pm On Aug 18, 2008
madamkoko:

Meaning: why don't people focus on Jesus. Jesus was human and was not invisible according to the bible.

Also, isn't that the point of the bible, for xtians to see examples and to focus on examples given in the Bible and not these men trying to make a buck a two.

But can they see Jesus? How can they use their physical eyes to focus on someone they can't see with their physical eyes?

That's my point.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by MadMax1(f): 10:29am On Aug 19, 2008
@poster:This was my response to Gamine's church post, and it serves here as well.

Man, do I understand where you're coming from or what? I hardly attend church, but I have a hunger to find and know God personally, and sometimes He's lost in the hustle and bustle and Pastor's posturings. I went mountain climbing one day. It was beautiful. The sky was four shades of blue. There were eagles and butterflies. To my astonishment, I got a glimpse of God that day. And I'm not referring to the physical environment. I would dodge questions like 'Did you go to church today?', and accusing looks if I say I hadn't been. Now I give a curt 'No,' and profer no explanations.

Don't get me wrong. I occasionally attend services and I'm uplifted by a message, and I have pastor friends,but I've grouses with Nigerian churches a mile long. It's a culture over here, church. It has its own language and practices and ways of life, and once you master them, you can pass yourself off as anything. That's why my cheeks used to ache from all the false smiles I'd dispense in church, because I have to pass muster. Religion is a blanket people use to hide who they really are beneath. Tiresome,motonous religious activity that do little to change the darker sides of one's personality. Once you master it, anyone can feel at home. That's why Nigerians can loot public funds and still go to church and piously raise holy hands.

Not to mention there's no real love amongst church members. Pastors are arrogant and strut about like peacocks, expecting you to worship the ground they walk on. They pass their own prejudices and jaundiced view of life off as religious doctrine, and you'd better obey or it's off to hellfire you go. They tell you what to do, what to think and how to think it. One pastor came to my house and,when he didn't get the 'Daddy' and the 'respect' he thought it my constitutional duty to furnish, became hostile and began to misbehave. I 'dashed' his annointed face a good slap. Yes, I did. And to pastor worshippers who're clutching their hearts in horror and looking to consign me to hell,good luck to you. A pastor is merely an office in a church, and is no more noble or deserving of respect than an usher or a chorister. God is no respecter of persons but we are, forming cliques in church and not recognising or respecting boundaries if it kicked us in the foot.

Church today is a travesty of what it was intended to be. I'n under no obligation to conform to its rules or abide by its dictates. There's a Bible, and I can read. Your brethren is not the people who gather with you in a hall to perform religious ceremony. They are people with whom you share a spirit and the love- translatable into practical, giving action-of Christ. So you can be in a congregation of 100000 while your actual brethren therein are 1000.

I totally understand your dilemma. I face the same. Just don't let some misguided sense of duty guide your life, and remember there's just this one life and it's short. Do everything from your HEART.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Isreal New Law Makes It Criminal To Tell People About Jesus / Prophet Tb Joshua's Daughter Graduates In Law From Lse! / Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.