Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,472 members, 7,808,701 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. (3065 Views)

I Don Sell My Car God Win / Where Can I Get A Push To Start Button Installed In My Car / Can Someone Please Help Me Prevail On Mr German 007 to tell me where my car is (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. by jiro(f): 9:23pm On Aug 19, 2008
I've got a 1995 rover coupe with a 6 cylinder legend engine and it just developed a fault. when ever i press my brakes the car goes off. i then have to put off the radio and ac put the car in neutral and start it up again, then it starts with no problem. I've taken it to the mechanic and they can't seem to solve the problem. I'm afraid to drive the car for this reason. what could be causing this problem and how do i solve it? pls help me quickly.
Re: Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. by tomiade1(m): 10:00pm On Aug 19, 2008
i think its more of spiritual, i think u should pray about it, even better still, for deliverance, goodluck! grin
Re: Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. by jiro(f): 10:13pm On Aug 19, 2008
tomi_ade:

i think its more of spiritual, i think u should pray about it, even better still, for deliverance, goodluck! grin
What century are you living in? or are you just trying to be a clown? there must be a scientific explanation to the problem. P/s i need help if you can't offer it you should just keep on reading posts but don't give replies.
Re: Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. by ichakaobos(m): 10:26pm On Aug 19, 2008
hey jiro i suggest u go down to oyingbo,thats where u can fix your car,am going down their to fix mine
Re: Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. by sultaan(m): 12:46am On Aug 20, 2008
sounds simply, you may have a vacuum leak, check the black hoses going into you engine (while running) for leak it will be sucking air, and you PVC valve to make sure its not clogged.The most propable cause is your dirty/dead IAC(idle air controller). its on your throttle body next to the TPS . Disconnect battery, remove and clean IAC with solvent, carburetor cleaner, reconnect IAC then battery and you are good to go. Check here for pics

http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar02.html

Here is what a PCV valve looks like on your engine

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.utdallas.edu/~jxy046000/tmp/IMG_1259.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D123637100&h=768&w=1024&sz=113&hl=en&start=10&um=1&tbnid=OjDned56lUqXeM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpcv%2Bvalve%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLR_enUS213US213%26sa%3DN

1 Like

Re: Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. by jiro(f): 8:32am On Aug 20, 2008
hi icha. thanks but i don't think that will be possible. i live in portharcourt and i don't know where oyingbo is. to sultaan thanks for the ideas i'll tell the mechanic to give the pvc and iac a whack hopefully the problem will be solved. thanks again.
Re: Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. by cybersleek(m): 1:55pm On Aug 20, 2008
You most likely have a vacuum leak somewhere. Get your mechanic to check the hoses going into your brake salvo, and the vacuum for cutting off fuel, it may help you.
Re: Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. by jiro(f): 7:48pm On Aug 20, 2008
sultaan i took the car to the repairers and i think its gotten worse. i told them about the vacumm problem the iac and pvc thing and they seemed to agree but it still has not been solved. i noticed that the problem gets worse when my fuel level is on the low side. I cant' find a good rover auto repair guy, and a friend of mine has directed me to a repairer that specializes in legend automobiles. i'll be taking it to him tomorrow and i pray that he'll be ale to solve the problem.
Re: Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. by sultaan(m): 9:29pm On Aug 20, 2008
They just can't agree with me, if they know what they are doing it should have been fixed.Do you have a check engine light on?
What did they do specifically?
IAC onlt tells the car to add more air to engine when you slow down i.e idle air controller. The exhaust air recirculated in the engine form a clog in the PCV or put a film of oil on the IAC which is why I recommended cleaning.To test PCV you pull it out of engine coverĀ  and cover with your hand to feel if its sucking air.If they removed the IAC check to see if the reconnected the wire. Check you air filter to make sure it not clogged.
Your problrm here sound like a air supply issue.

[size=15pt]Paging Siena, opinion needed here please grin[/size]

jiro:

hi icha. thanks but i don't think that will be possible. i live in portharcourt and i don't know where oyingbo is. to sultaan thanks for the ideas i'll tell the mechanic to give the pvc and iac a whack hopefully the problem will be solved. thanks again.

Don't give anything a wack, just get the area around the throttle body cleaned. the same way they used to clean out the caburator.

Does it happen when you press brakes with AC off?
Re: Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. by jiro(f): 7:56am On Aug 21, 2008
no there is no light on. the car seems perfectly normal until i get to a red light or need to apply the brakes then it just goes off.irespective of wether the ac is on or not. i put it back on neutral and start the engine it starts up immediately like it never stopped. and all this while there is no light on the dash board.
they were tampering with things on the throtle board and then some hoses. they even cleaned the plugs and another mechanic is alleging that it might be the fuel pump. the thing is i don't even know if they know the IAC or PCV cause i don't.
to say the truth i only know how to put water and then check if there is oil in the car. I think all these mechanics in PortHarcourt are WACK. maybe they are as ignorant as i am.
Re: Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. by icemann(m): 11:08am On Aug 21, 2008
check ur injector nozzles, it could be clogged or fuel pump
Had the same problem and it was my fuel pump
Re: Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. by jiro(f): 7:04pm On Aug 21, 2008
great news the problem has been solved it turned out to be the fuel pump so i bought a new one and the car is as good as new. I'm very grateful to you guys for all the help. thanks its nice to know that people are willing to help in time of distress.

1 Like

Re: Help My Car Keeps Going Off On Me. by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 21, 2008
Glad you have fixed it. Was about suggesting the fuel pump, fuel filter or air filter or hose when by battery went flat. Next time suggest this faults to your mechanic, its the most common cause of 'break and quench.

(1) (Reply)

Right Hand Drive Ford Explorer: Never Used In Nigeria / Mazda E220 (18 Seater) Bus N700k / Clean Tokunbo 2007 Toyota Rav4 Limited 4wd...price: N2.8m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.