Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,889 members, 7,798,973 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! (13061 Views)

Poll: Do you support this arrest?

Yes: 61% (81 votes)
No: 38% (51 votes)
This poll has ended

Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Addressing Panel At Stock Market Probe - Live / Okereke-Onyuike Was Sacked For Spending ₦186m On Rolex Watches - Arunma Oteh / Court Nullifies Removal Of Ndi Okereke-Onyuike, Awards Her N500m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by eudio(f): 4:11pm On Aug 22, 2008
is it that ndi-okereke onyuike does not have better things  to do?

getting herself involved in this kind of thing is really amazing.

she should knw wht's up by now.

wish the best
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by onyinye2(f): 4:13pm On Aug 22, 2008
eudio:

is it that ndi-okereke onyuike does not have better things to do?

getting herslef involved in this kind of thing is really amazing.

she should knw wht's up by now.

wish the best
I know!!! Why is she bothering herself over Obama's campaign? She should be worried over her OWN country's politics first.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by Nobody: 4:20pm On Aug 22, 2008
sorry i mean Sam Edem
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by plawson(m): 4:34pm On Aug 22, 2008
it's apity that a thing lyk this is
happening to our own Ndidi-O.

i wonder who sold that idea to her
(does she or the people want to
be Obama's running mate?)

i mean its sad!!! & pathetic - i don't
think it was Ndidi. if you look at it well
bcoz she's popular and respectful, that
was why they confused or convince her
to be the chairlady, so she can command
the success of raising the N100million.

Has she not been folowing the Obama campaign
in US to see how they reject fund-raisers over-there
why then will they accept fund-raisers here OR was
obama's inlaw/uncle at the dinner?

wot was they raised money meant for- that's new loot!
let YES' i do am convert the money to creating better opportunities.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by 9ja4eva: 5:10pm On Aug 22, 2008
This is what i seen as misplace priority.

Madam NSE how many times you don go fund raiser to help poor children?

Well na the drama wey she put herself into she dey face

Well done madam
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by tpia: 5:21pm On Aug 22, 2008
come November I hope all this hypertension for Obama will reduce sha.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by c33b33(m): 5:23pm On Aug 22, 2008
@ehie
Ah!u got me confused o!well,d idiotic former diplomat has been taken to court.Hope the police will do a good job.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by Wendy80(f): 6:14pm On Aug 22, 2008
its so annoying this coming from a woman who claims she has Nigerians at heart, we have millions of graduates roaming the streets jobless, the poverty stricken Nigerians,homeless Nigerians,Nigerians who need serious medical attention, etc and there you are saying you want to sponsor the presidential campaign ofObama whocan succeed with or without your money, isn't that crazy, and annoying, another Patricia, These women should look up to DORA AKINYILI, she is a an IDOL
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by cola: 8:32pm On Aug 22, 2008
posted by cola:

this is my fear for this country!

young 'educated' nigerians not being able to show clear understanding of the difference betwen 'invitation for questioning' and 'arrest'.

portends danger for the future

, and these same youths make noise about current 'leaders'

as bad as they are (current crop of leaders), I hope they wouldn't turn out to be better than many of these ignorant and sensation-seeking 'future leaders'.

By no means is this a generalization,

my respect to those Nairalanders that are very discerning.

this opinion here by no means is meant to be in support of Prof. Ndi's misplaced energy.
all I'm sayng is that EFCC's involvement be understood in the right perspective.

as for the media,

the police inviting someone for questioning should not be misrepresented as arrest by any responsible editor

such careless and selfish agenda has caused plenty of problem for this country in the past. Probably still does.

Some folks here are tearing one another apart in another thread on this board finding elusive answers to why (some) southerners hate (all) northerners: I say a section of the media is a big part of the reasons.

a section of them are a part of the problems in this country.

PM News's use of 'arrest' is obviously meant to sensationalize the event for probably no noble reason.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by BigB11(m): 8:40pm On Aug 22, 2008

young 'educated' nigerians not being able to show clear understanding of the difference betwen 'invitation for questioning' and 'arrest'.

as bad as they are (current crop of leaders), I hope they wouldn't turn out to be better than many of these ignorant and sensation-seeking 'future leaders'.

this opinion here by no means is meant to be in support of Prof. Ndi's misplaced energy.
all I'm sayng is that EFCC's involvement be understood in the right perspective.

as for the media,

the police inviting someone for questioning should not be misrepresented as arrest by any responsible editor

such careless and selfish agenda has caused plenty of problem for this country in the past. Probably still does.

Some folks here are tearing one another apart in another thread on this board finding elusive answers to why (some) southerners hate (all) northerners: I say a section of the media is a big part of the reasons.

PM News's use of 'arrest' is obviously meant to sensationalize the event for probably no noble reason.

You have talked; right on point!
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by LASIEFAIRE(m): 8:47pm On Aug 22, 2008
cola:

posted by cola:

as for the media,

Big B1 explain what he said that is right on point, especially the last sentence you highlighted.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by c33b33(m): 9:29pm On Aug 22, 2008
Abi o!what is right on point there?
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by JeopardE(m): 11:32pm On Aug 22, 2008
The incredible stupidity displayed before the world by this woman boggles the mind.

Let's look at the facts here.  It is illegal under US law for a campaign candidate to receive donations from foreigners. It is illegal, period. There isn't even a "maximum limit".

Even if it were legal, where are her priorities? The Nigerian stock market is crashing. It has been in free fall for months, and it just began yet another precipitous drop that will most likely see another 20% or more of shareholders' funds wiped out. How about attending to that little situation you have there, Madam Stock Exchange? Your precious banks, the backbone of your fledgling private sector, are losing equity faster than a water-filled basket. The growth of the economy is in danger of being cut short by speculators and the effects of a global recession. Your precious stock exchange is one of the most primitive ones in the world, lacking even a proper modern ECN to allow real time trading. People are still holding on to paper like it's the 1800s. The so-called "secondary market" is a joke, and there are no modern instruments and derivatives.

Millions and millions of Nigerians still live below the poverty line. You've got problems in the Niger delta threatening oil production. And lots of other problems to many to count.

Somehow, in the midst of all this, Madam Stock Exchange seemed to think doing a $1 million fundraiser for another country's presidential campaign was the smartest thing to do.

What has she done? Under her watch, and largely a result of her amazing ineptitude, our fledgling market was invaded by foreign speculators, who have done nothing but manipulate and run up stock prices for their own profit, and now those speculators are exiting en masse in the face of global recessionary fears, taking our money with them. The exchange remains a stone age institution, and the financial regulations,  er wait, are there are actually regulations? Unless, of course, you want to tell me that putting a 5% cap on daily price moves amounts to proper regulation (hurray for the growth of a free market).

This woman is a disgrace to Nigeria.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by Nobody: 12:00am On Aug 23, 2008
[b]Eeyaa i feel for her sha. I can imagin her in EFCC custody she will probably keep reminding the EFCC officials of her achievements which she is always so eager to flaunt. Come to think of it she no get husband? I have never heard anything about her family at least i know of dora akunyili's family.

the media has really ridiculed her sha not with their outrageous head lines which is of course aimed at selling their papers. I have read a number of columns in the papers on the issue and dem use style yab am sha. I particularly read one by yemi kolapo of punch and really felt for madam obama. cry

We know say she will be let off the hook eventually but life won't be the same again. She will only be seen and not heard after this just like soludo after the redenomination ridicule. what a pity she has finally been pushed off her high horse. You need to hear the way she talks to dealing members on the floor of the exchange she virtually mummys them. make she come shout on top their head after this one shame no go gree am. embarassed[/b]
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by 4Play(m): 12:15am On Aug 23, 2008
JeopardE:

The incredible stupidity displayed before the world by this woman boggles the mind.

Let's look at the facts here.  It is illegal under US law for a campaign candidate to receive donations from foreigners. It is illegal, period. There isn't even a "maximum limit".

In defense of Ndidipartly because I love being a contrarian. I can't see what she has done wrong legally. I might be wrong on the facts that I assume but this is how I see it:

She can't be accused of breaking US law because the law punishes the act of receiving,rather than giving, such foreign donations.

Nor can she be guilty of breaking any particular Nigerian law unless it can be shown that she obtained such money with false pretenses. Most importantly,she has always stated thus:
”At no time did we say we were raising money for Obama.“What we are saying is that Obama is for the world and he has been getting support from Europeans, from Arabs and from all over and Nigerians should not be different.

“We are not collecting money for Obama. I lived in the US for 14 years; I am a Green Card holder and I know the law. We are just mobilising people who are eligible voters to go out and register and voter for him and I don‘t know why this should be an issue.

At worst,she is guilty of indulging in an extravagant and ill-advised folly but she is in no way guilty of any crime.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by jgirl3: 12:29am On Aug 23, 2008
@ topic,
LMAO! Are you serious? They should leave her there till election time. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by JeopardE(m): 12:44am On Aug 23, 2008
[quote="4 Play"]At worst,she is guilty of indulging in an extravagant and ill-advised folly but she is in no way guilty of any crime.[/quote]

Oh I agree. It would be a crime for Obama to receive the money, not for her to raise it -- she is not under US jurisdiction to begin with. I don't see what is necessarily criminal about her act either -- all she has done is embarrass herself and the country, and expose herself as being completely detached from the world the rest of us live in. She needs to be fired and replaced with someone with proper credentials who has what it takes to move Nigeria's financial markets to the next level. This is such a disgrace.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by Mustay(m): 5:18am On Aug 23, 2008
@ all who see the arrest as ILLEGAL

EFCC is responding to a petition by a Lawyer to investigate the organisation and the activities.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by adrian5(m): 7:46am On Aug 23, 2008
'Landers, there seems to have been a change in topic here. Shouldn't we concentrarte on flushig this shit but-ali outta here?
@Bashali, You need help. What your grandfathers ere peddling decades ago is what you still are. alk like that is what has brought so much suffering to this nation-if you can read good i said nation not north or south. Shame on you, you tribalistic goat.

Seyi, is there no way of keepig such trash out of our forums? other nationals could be reading. Issue him a strong warning and if he persists, bar him
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by c33b33(m): 7:54am On Aug 23, 2008
Abi o!people are losing stocks value & she's busy with fund raising jamboree!tsk!
Thanks to Barr.Festus Keyamo who petitioned her.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by Orikinla(m): 10:34am On Aug 23, 2008
It does not take long to uncover the facade of a greedy Nigerian, irrespective of the academic, professional or social status. The organisers of "Africa for Obama" are daylight criminals who think they are smart enough to fool the foolish Nigerians and others they have swindled under the cover of mobilizing support for the presidential election of Senator Barack Obama of the United States of America.

Who told them that Africans in America need socio-political mobilization and sensitization to vote for Barack Obama?
What a childish and foolish excuse to swindle the ignorant and miseducated elites and money bags in Nigeria. These fools who have not even thought of donating money for the renovation of classrooms, libraries and laboratories of the neglected government polytechnics , colleges of education and universities have rushed like fools to donate millions of naira to a 419 political dinner/concert that is illegal and criminal.

This is another evidence of the decadence and ignorance plaguing Nigerian elites and corrupt title holders.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by Orikinla(m): 11:03am On Aug 23, 2008
JeopardE:

Even if it were legal, where are her priorities? The Nigerian stock market is crashing. It has been in free fall for months, and it just began yet another precipitous drop that will most likely see another 20% or more of shareholders' funds wiped out. How about attending to that little situation you have there, Madam Stock Exchange? Your precious banks, the backbone of your fledgling private sector, are losing equity faster than a water-filled basket. The growth of the economy is in danger of being cut short by speculators and the effects of a global recession. Your precious stock exchange is one of the most primitive ones in the world, lacking even a proper modern ECN to allow real time trading. People are still holding on to paper like it's the 1800s. The so-called "secondary market" is a joke, and there are no modern instruments and derivatives.

Millions and millions of Nigerians still live below the poverty line. You've got problems in the Niger delta threatening oil production. And lots of other problems to many to count.

Somehow, in the midst of all this, Madam Stock Exchange seemed to think doing a $1 million fundraiser for another country's presidential campaign was the smartest thing to do.

What has she done? Under her watch, and largely a result of her amazing ineptitude, our fledgling market was invaded by foreign speculators, who have done nothing but manipulate and run up stock prices for their own profit, and now those speculators are exiting en masse in the face of global recessionary fears, taking our money with them. The exchange remains a stone age institution, and the financial regulations,  er wait, are there are actually regulations? Unless, of course, you want to tell me that putting a 5% cap on daily price moves amounts to proper regulation (hurray for the growth of a free market).

This woman is a disgrace to Nigeria.

JeopardE,
God bless you for your clear intellect.

Now you can see why Nigeria is plagued by these demons in disguise in high places and the millions of ignorant Nigerians at their beck and call.

The legions of hypocrites, parasites and prostitutes who parade themselves in the arcade of power in the masquerade of their academic, professional and political titles.

Are these the apes who will lead Nigeria into the Promise Land of Vision 2020?

We must separate ourselves from these legions, lest we would be entangled in the deadly tentacles of their corruption.

The disgrace of Ndi Okereke-Onyuike is long over due and she is not alone.

They are a legion of women who are actiually the cankerworms of corruption destroying Nigeria by their whoredom.
Lest we forget, thousands of their beneficiaries are members of Nairaland, pretending to be innocent sheep of the Nigerian flock, but God knows they are wolves in sheep clothing.
They shuttle to and from Lagos to Abuja, Port Harcourt to Abuja, Warri to Abuja, Calabar to Abuja, Benin to Abuja, Enugu to Abuja, Umuahia to Abuja and other key capitals. But they know themselves and are members of the same cult who are posing and posturing as "Christians" and "Muslims" in the public sector and private sector.
All the members of the boards of directors of the top banks in Nigeria are shareholders of the blood money from the Niger Delta to Abuja.

Their judgment day is at hand.

We must not spare anyone of them as Jerry Rawlings did not spare any of the cankerworms of corruption in Ghana.
We must not spare them and their beneficiaries.
This is the only solution, otherwise Nigeria cannot be redeemed.   

We must not look back in the pursuit of justice in Nigeria.

Latest news update: The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has seized the passport of the Director-General of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, Prof. Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200808223324468
I think the criminals behind Africa for Obama have gone into hiding.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by odedele: 12:53pm On Aug 23, 2008
madam BUSY BODY.Instead of sanitizing the stock mkt she is busy doing "NOTICE ME" up and down.how much as she raised 4 d niger delta, almajiri or d area boys .pls let EFFCC do the needful.PROSECUTION
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 23, 2008
odedele:

madam BUSY BODY.Instead of sanitizing the stock mkt she is busy doing "NOTICE ME" up and down.how much as she raised 4 d niger delta, almajiri or d area boys .please let EFFCC do the needful.PROSECUTION

lol grin
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by aimans: 2:33pm On Aug 23, 2008
Enough of Ndi Fund Raiser "SHOW", I called it a show cos both parties have hidden agenda. For Ndi, Charity does not beggin @ home anymore, Millions of Nigerians are out there walloing hunger, looking 4 something 2 make a living. My NSE Director General has never thought of ways to persuade the "Halves" to create more job, good investments & better working condition. And for d "Executive Fraudster Commendable Commission" EFCC, Baba Lota is hom after swalloing over $16B PHCN fund, Undue-Process Departmental Contracts & lots more, have never pass through their table 2 see.

Anyway, 9ija Na Ti nwa ti nwa oh!
It's well.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by Queenisha: 8:46pm On Aug 23, 2008
YOU THIS SOUTHERN ASAWO IN ITALY, THEY CALL QUEEN,  DID YOU HEAR ME SAY REMOVE AZIZA AND THEY REMOVE HIM  IN LESS THAN 3 HOURS, 

LOOK YOU THIS QUEEN , IF I SAY THEY SHOULD ARREST YOU, YOU WOULD BE ARRESTED. DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING WITH. AND I CAN MAKE THEM ARREST ALL YOUR FAMILY IN NIGERIA. YAR ADUA SHOULD NOT ATTEND AN WESTERN HOSPITAL  FOR NOW WITH WHITE DOCTOR FOR SECURITY REASON. WE DO NOT WANT THEM TO KILL HIM.  ONLY IF THEY TAKE THE DOCTOR TO NIGERIA TO TREAT HIM.

POWER TO AREWA.

May the almajiris of Kano cut off your blokoss.
Idiot!
Some on this forum think you're crazy as in coo coo
but I think you're simply constipated wink
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by c33b33(m): 10:39pm On Aug 23, 2008
lma0!!!i sure say i no go get hyper cos i'm getting enough laugher here!
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by Nwaka77: 3:02am On Aug 24, 2008
Queenisha:

May the almajiris of Kano cut off your blokoss.
Idiot!
Some on this forum think you're crazy as in coo coo
but I think you're simply constipated wink

LMAO! grin grin grin
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by jimmyjam: 3:46am On Aug 24, 2008
It is good for Ndidi, she was long over due for removal, herself soludo and cecilia ibru are the ones behind th current nigerian stock exchange crash all 3 of them should be removed. imgine soludo saying he wanted to peg the dollar lol all 3 of them are a bunch of jokers
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by bawomolo(m): 4:22am On Aug 24, 2008
obamania among nigerians is ridiculous. arresting her seems to much. a simple warning letter from the ICPC or EFCC would have been enough
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by owo2000: 8:33am On Aug 24, 2008
Folks! without mentioning names we can clearly see those who are seeking the downfall of this great nation. They are selfish, self centered and illiterate. All you have to do is pay attention to what they post.
Re: Ndi Okereke-Onyuike Arrested By EFCC Over Obama Xtravaganza! by DeepZone: 7:41pm On Aug 24, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, August 23, 2008 Printer Friendly Version

Obama fundraiser: EFCC storms banks

By Olusola Fabiyi, Abuja

As part of its investigation of the controversial fundraiser organised by a Nigerian group, Africans for Obama 2008, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has moved to verify the actual amount collected by the group.

Photo file
Onyuike Okereke

advertisement

The leader of the group, who is also the Director-General of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, Prof. Ndidi Okereke-Onyiuke, was quizzed by the EFCC in Abuja over the fundraiser and released on bail on Thursday night. The fundraiser was described by the organisers as a move to sensitise Nigerians in the US about their interest in the bid of the presidential candidate of the United States Democratic National Convention, Mr. Barack Obama.

Reports had said that over N100 million was raised at the occasion. It was gathered that EFCC operatives were dispatched to Lagos on Thursday with a mandate to scrutinise the organisation’s books as well as its accounts in “about two or three banks.”

A highly placed source told our correspondent in Abuja that although the EFCC had returned Okereke-Onyiuke’s passport, which was earlier confiscated, she had been told that she must obtain permission from the anti-graft agency before travelling out of the country.

The source said that the commission, after the said verification, would also reach out to individuals who donated money for the concert. According to the source, “Investigators have been dispatched to banks where she said that the money was lodged. We have also asked them (investigators) to visit the headquarters of the NSE, with a view to making sure that no stone is left unturned in our determination to know the actual amount that was collected.”

It was gathered that the NSE DG had told her interrogators that the actual amount collected was not up to N100m, as being speculated. She was quoted as saying that the money was a little above N90m.

But the source said that since the commission decided not to rely on the information given by Okereke-Onyiuke, it decided to send its operatives to Lagos for a verification.

The source said, “We want to know the actual amount of money collected for the event. When we know how much was involved, then we will begin the process of recovery. We cannot recover what we don’t know. I can, however, tell you that all the monies will be recovered.”

The EFCC’s Head, Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Babafemi, confirmed the development. He said the commission would make its findings on the matter known to Nigerians as soon as possible.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/aug/23/425.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Primaries: APC Lists Conditions For Consensus Candidature / PDP Destroyed Anambra, Alleges Obiano / Akeredolu Picks Lucky Ayedatiwa As Running Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.