Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,043 members, 7,807,132 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? (20329 Views)

In Memory Only (Romance) / Addicted To Romance Novels? / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by spint(m): 3:58pm On Aug 22, 2008
i realize after so much research that ladies like to read romance novels that portrays its imagery .they can go through sleepless nights just to finish reading it and opt for more,   or am i wrong??
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nella(f): 11:41pm On Aug 22, 2008
As we can't read princesses and fairy tales any more, Romantic novels are like d grown up version to replace them.
Plus every lady likes something that can suck them into that colourful dreamy state, cuz we are more intouch with our emotions . . . etc
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by mykali(m): 6:42pm On Aug 23, 2008
emotions and all that. a guy will be rather interested in espionage, war, action.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by frag(m): 3:32pm On Aug 25, 2008
Its not just ladies that reads romance novels,men do too. I often read romance novels myself and i find them quite interesting.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by carmelily: 3:41pm On Aug 25, 2008
spint:

i realize after so much research that ladies like to read romance novels that portrays its imagery .they can go through sleepless nights just to finish reading it and opt for more, or am i wrong??

1.what kind of research exactly?

2. maybe there should be the word "some" before the word "ladies" here

3. that portrays what imagery?

i hate romance novels. boring and predictable. juvenile most of the time.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 25, 2008
Ladies read romance novels because it takes them to fantasy island, Wake up ladies!!!!! All that romeo, prince story crap will not work in real life. Only .001% of the population will meet their soulmates in this lifetime. All the candles, beach walks, exquisite dinners and all the "stories" in romance novels  will not happen for a lot of people so stop dreaming and stop holding on to fantasies!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by nana(f): 3:44pm On Aug 25, 2008
I rarely read novels.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by trendy(f): 3:53pm On Aug 25, 2008
oh my gosh!
i love novels.

why we read them? cos they potray romance the way we want it to be grin
beyond our imagination and description.
by the way, guys read novels too cool
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Sisikill: 4:00pm On Aug 25, 2008
FINALLY!!! A Literature topic on the main page!!!!!!!!

Even though the "Why do Women read more novels than Men" topic would have been better than this topic perpetuating the myth that women and romance books go hand in hand. . . but it's still good, it's still good. Baby steps, I say. grin

@ Topic
who knows. . . trying to understand the workings of a woman's mind is like trying to navigate through Mars on a wheelbarrow. undecided
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by vislabraye(m): 4:01pm On Aug 25, 2008
No wonder there aren't many successful women writers as compared to their male counterparts. Except for JK Rowlings who happens to be the best female writer ever, and guess what? : she is not even a romance author. Romance is too shallow for any serious minded individual. Yet I see so many ladies dying for them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by rubi(f): 4:02pm On Aug 25, 2008
It is in their nature
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by tkukoyi: 4:16pm On Aug 25, 2008
i wonder why they keep reading them when it's always the same thing that happens(at least the romance aspect),
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by nossycheek(f): 4:28pm On Aug 25, 2008
Because they like fantasy and lies
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 25, 2008
I observed it too. Well i've neva read one so i can't imagine what they get in them but i guess it's just some collection of fantasies.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by xheggs(m): 4:43pm On Aug 25, 2008
nossycheek:

Because they like fantasy and lies
thats 4 real

vislabraye:

No wonder there aren't many successful women writers as compared to their male counterparts. Except for JK Rowlings who happens to be the best female writer ever, and guess what? : she is not even a romance author. Romance is too shallow for any serious minded individual. Yet I see so many ladies dying for them.
this is 4 real too

its not all ladies who read romance novels.,.,.,but i guess its just because of their fragile minds
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by agaba123(m): 4:46pm On Aug 25, 2008
so that they will get unrealistic ideas about romance
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by xheggs(m): 4:50pm On Aug 25, 2008
agaba123:

so that they will get unrealistic ideas about romance

yea.,.,.,its more like getting the warm fuzzy loving feeling which is so difficult to get in the real world. When most ladies were much younger they think that its what their future will hold too. Older and wiser you know such books just bring out the feeling which remains unfulfilled in reality
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by agaba123(m): 4:55pm On Aug 25, 2008
xheggs:

yea.,.,.,its more like getting the warm fuzzy loving feeling which is so difficult to get in the real world. When most ladies were much younger they think that its what their future will hold too. Older and wiser you know such books just bring out the feeling which remains unfulfilled in reality
I like his english. Not like you graduated recently from a Nigerian uni

emm before I get banned. Yess that is why they read romance novels grin
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by madamkoko: 5:01pm On Aug 25, 2008
Not all ladies enjoy romance novels. I consider them an absolute waste of time.

But some people on the other hand, read them because they have nothing better to do.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Aug 25, 2008
Then what's da pleasure in fantasies of such?
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Sisikill: 5:04pm On Aug 25, 2008
The Literature section in its first venture into the front pages of Nairaland presents. . .

*Drum Roll Please*

"Women are intellectually inferior ninnies. What? We are not insulting them. . . Just look at what they read"

Guess the old saying. . . be careful what you wish for has some truth in it. undecided
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 25, 2008
But this is not an only-women palava. u should know dat guys are also in this 'Fantasy' novels thing.
smiley
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by rubi(f): 5:13pm On Aug 25, 2008
xheggs:

Older and wiser you know such books just bring out the feeling which remains unfulfilled in reality

Yes I agree with you every woman have stages they are in life the younger ones are more unrealistic the older and wiser the more realistic because of experience and knowledge. It is like watching romance movie which many tends to forget that it is only acting most have been carried away by such fiction
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by ramonacee(f): 5:22pm On Aug 25, 2008
@ poster
more because of our nature, the feminine stuff, u grab?
or maybe you will understand it this way,who do guys like watchin the premier league even when the aint gettin paid for it, or see a group of guys talkin politics(seriously) even when its obvious their arguments wont change nothin, blah blah grin
so its our nature, feminity,emotional, we be emotional beings, u don grab now?? kiss
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by minute(f): 5:26pm On Aug 25, 2008
Ive  worked  for a 102yr old woman.

She loves Danielle Steel and to be honest that stuff is not filth.

I believe its an escape  . . . sort of like when men sit for hours waching foot-ball,

baseball or NASCAR!!

If that is all you have to worry about then you have nothing to worry about. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by rubi(f): 5:28pm On Aug 25, 2008
ramonacee:

@ poster
more because of our nature, the feminine stuff, u grab?
or maybe you will understand it this way,who do guys like watchin the premier league even when the aint gettin paid for it, or see a group of guys talkin politics(seriously) even when its obvious their arguments wont change nothin, blah blah grin
so its our nature, feminity,emotional, we be emotional beings, u don grab now?? kiss

Thanks and below is my contribution too

rubi:

It is in their nature
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by xheggs(m): 5:38pm On Aug 25, 2008
rubi:

Yes I agree with you every woman have stages they are in life the younger ones are more unrealistic the older and wiser the more realistic because of experience and knowledge. It is like watching romance movie which many tends to forget that it is only acting most have been carried away by such fiction

ur making a whole lot of sense
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 25, 2008
I might be wrong, but this is the reason, from my own perception.

Ladies like being drawn into that make-believe world of guys with perfectly sculpted sun tanned brown muscled bodies and whatever-color of eyes and all of that. They blush and shriek and wail at a book. I read novels also, but I'd rather read mysteries, a little horror, and crime fiction. Definitely not romance. It also has to do with how emotional one is. That's one reason romance novels do not exactly appeal to me.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Tunslike: 6:04pm On Aug 25, 2008
grin cheesy grin no be small thin, am trying to imagine what the ladies could be enjoying out of all these fantasy  NOVELS, well as they said, maybe they are  too emotional, bla bla,bla  they reallly like things to be like that of the novel, i also remember being in a sceniro where a lady was reading beside me and suddenly started smiling really well and feeling romactic, when i requested seeing the thrilling part of the story, i can't believe my eyes, its say,

"and he walked down from the stairs with a sparkling shoes, glinting a specular shine on the rail of the window, my eyes coudnt await as his step were just like that of angels watching each step ahead, i suddenly could't help my breath from style of drums as i notice his arm so real like an ultimate man, while my cousin katty was pulling me to get a drink, my legs couldn,t move like it was being stick to the ground, " bla! bla!! bla!!!  grin cheesy grin cheesy grin i cant believe it, afterthen she said "isn't that sweet" what is sweet! shocked angry

like my former babe, i had an issue with her, and we get scolding at each other, suddenly she yelled "nonsense! why can u be more romactice like Anthony in the novel middle of the night, what about kelly in sands of winds, or banarbas in grains of tears, you are not a real man"  , yeeee , miii,, tet like u. cheesy grin okay!okay , you too, why can you be helpful like stella  damascus, be sexy like omotola jolade, why u go dey compare me with guy wey u never see, grin cheesy grin grin

kiddin guys grin grin cheesy wink leave dem girl alone, dem no fantasy say dem get money, na anthony wey no real dey trill dem.

Association of Big boys/Men let begin to read novel tooo, like "why wife's friend should consider me" , "love must expire" cheesy grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by Caliente(m): 6:36pm On Aug 25, 2008
[size=13pt]They read novels a lot and when they meet a guy they expect him behave like Mr. All Romantic in their novel fantasy world. Wake up from thy slumber![/size]
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by bracelet: 6:41pm On Aug 25, 2008
I feel guys shud read more of romance novels. it helps them to understand the female mind.
Re: Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? by ruf: 6:47pm On Aug 25, 2008
romance is, when a bad writer thinks hard enough to sell another stupid story(in thick Paperback) or rake in billions(like, umm, Microsoft) with that allien flick meant for and seriously targeted @ minors,

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Children Of Thunder / Getting Lost In Lust (18+) / More Than A Flirt (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.