Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics (5913 Views)

U-17 World Cup: Nigeria Vs USA (2 - 0) On 17th October 2015 / Nigeria Vs USA : Women's World Cup ( 0 - 1) On 17th July 2015 / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by SeanT21(f): 2:46pm On Aug 23, 2008
As we all know USA has over 100 medals so far but fewer golds.

China has lesser medals but the most gold.

Who is the winner? The country with more medals or the country with more golds?

Medals standing soooooooo far!!

Medal Standings Total
1 CHN 49 19 28 96
2 USA 33 36 36 105
3 RUS 21 21 27 69
4 GBR 19 13 15 47
5 GER 15 10 15 40
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by bigfather(m): 2:59pm On Aug 23, 2008
The gold carries more weight than every other metal .
Oooops , did i sau metal ? I mean medal jare.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by dtwsola(m): 4:15pm On Aug 23, 2008
Regardless of what U.S. news networks seem to think, the gold medal is worth far more than any other medal. Silver and bronze are just consolation medals. I think the IOC should adopt a point system instead of a medal count.
gold =3pt;silver = 1pt; bronze=0.5pt

With the current medal standings
China == 49*3+19*1 +28*0.5= 180 pts
USA == 33*3+36*1+36*0.5 = 153 pts

If you take into account representation, Jamaica is the #1 performer in these games. They sent only 59 athletes, as opposed to the US and China whom both sent nearly 700 olympians
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by onyinye2(f): 4:18pm On Aug 23, 2008
dtw_sola:

If you take into account representation, Jamaica is the #1 performer in these games. They sent only 59 athletes, as opposed to the US and China whom both sent nearly 700 olympians
Last time i checked. . . Team USA had 31 golds. . . . and Jamaica has only six. tongue
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by savanaha: 4:20pm On Aug 23, 2008
The way the US makes it having more medal is better than having the most gold however, that is an untruth. Gold is always stronger. If they had more gold no one would hear the end of it.

Maybe am just bitter because watching the olympics in the US is not as fun as they only show events they are in or will do the best in. Forgetting they it is a worldwide event.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by MandingoII(m): 4:32pm On Aug 23, 2008
GOLD!

nobody want those other medals
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by dtwsola(m): 4:56pm On Aug 23, 2008
onyinye2:

Last time i checked. . . Team USA had 31 golds. . . . and Jamaica has only six. tongue
Are you daft? The US sent 11 times more athletes than Jamaica. So they should have won 66 golds. Not to mention that the population of the US is over 100 times the population of Jamaica.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by SeanT21(f): 1:26pm On Aug 24, 2008
savanaha:

The way the US makes it having more medal is better than having the most gold however, that is an untruth. Gold is always stronger. If they had more gold no one would hear the end of it.

Maybe am just bitter because watching the olympics in the US is not as fun as they only show events they are in or will do the best in. Forgetting they it is a worldwide event.

I would not say that they show no other countries events, however, They do play more events that they are on in the daytime. Stay up late pass midnight and you will see other countries competing in various sports. There is more than 10 channels broadcasting Olympics. I think the USA Broadcasting station forgot that People from Various countries live Here. We also want to support our country of birth and not just TEAM USA. Watching the opening ceromomy pissed me off because they went to commercial break and I didn't see Liberia walk in. I hope in The Closing Ceromony I can see my home country walk in!!!
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by presido1: 2:32pm On Aug 24, 2008
The balance of power is shifting in everyffin, previous Olympics US tops in all medal but the reverse is the case now.
US version of the medal table placed them on top of china while the IOC table placed china on top.
Is it not jealousy that they created anoda table outside the official OIC table.
This shows how arrogant the Americans can be at times.

Who is watching the closing ceremony, The Benchmark is too much for London 2012.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by savanaha: 2:35pm On Aug 24, 2008
presido1:

The balance of power is shifting in everyffin, previous Olympics US tops in all medal but the reverse is the case now.
US version of the medal table placed them on top of china while the IOC table placed china on top.
Is it not jealousy that they created another table outside the official OIC table.

Who is watching the closing ceremony, The Benchmark is too much for London 2012.

Exactly
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by onyinye2(f): 2:41pm On Aug 24, 2008
Blah Blah Blah it is all about the TEAM USA. They came in dominating and breaking records. Im extremely proud of my country and all the hardwork they put in and the determination they kept throughout.

I have to give my props to China, they tried. . . . even if they cheated in gymnastics. Goes to show they needed a 12 year old acting like a 16 year old just to beat USA because they are just that good.

All in all. . . . it goes to show that USA will continue to dominate as it should. Call it arrogance. . . . while we call it Being An American.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by savanaha: 2:50pm On Aug 24, 2008
onyinye2:

Blah Blah Blah it is all about the TEAM USA. They came in dominating and breaking records. I'm extremely proud of my country and all the hardwork they put in and the determination they kept throughout.

I have to give my props to China, they tried. . . . even if they cheated in gymnastics. Goes to show they needed a 12 year old acting like a 16 year old just to beat USA because they are just that good.

All in all. . . . it goes to show that USA will continue to dominate as it should. Call it arrogance. . . . while we call it Being An American.

Has it been proven that the Chinese cheated with the underage girl or is it still speculation? Even if the gold medal is stripped from the Chinese they will still be on top for gold medal count with out the gymnastics gold medal. Frthermore, when Marion Jones was winning all the fake gold medal no one suspected her till years after. She was on every headline news world wide for running amazingly but I bet you when she was found out for taking performance enhancement drugs many people didn't hear about it.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by SeanT21(f): 2:50pm On Aug 24, 2008
presido1:

Is it not jealousy that they created another table outside the official OIC table.

I do not call it Jelousy, I call it PRIDE!!!

As You can see China was the one that cheated USA in the gymnastics!!!

USA play fair all long!!!
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by SeanT21(f): 2:52pm On Aug 24, 2008
savanaha:

Has it been proven that the Chinese cheated with the underage girl or is it still speculation? Even if the gold medal is stripped from the Chinese they will still be on top for gold medal count with out the gymnastics gold medal. Frthermore, when Marion Jones was winning all the fake gold medal no one suspected her till years after. She was on every headline news world wide for running amazingly but I bet you when she was found out for taking performance enhancement drugs many people didn't hear about it.

This is not about their age, Its about Performance. The Judges cheated Nastai Lukin. He should have gotten the gold but the Dear Judges give her a lower point than the Chinese Girl that did worse than her.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by presido1: 2:53pm On Aug 24, 2008
onyinye2:

Blah Blah Blah it is all about the TEAM USA. They came in dominating and breaking records. I'm extremely proud of my country and all the hardwork they put in and the determination they kept throughout.

Can u proof the highlighted? why is it only in American media? Until IOC confirms that just keep mute about it.
Last i checked the Gold medal diff is in double figure(15) so the 12 yr old boy won 15 golds to beat US.
Am having a laugh.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by savanaha: 2:53pm On Aug 24, 2008
SeanT21:

I do not call it Jelousy, I call it PRIDE!!!

As You can see China was the one that cheated USA in the gymnastics!!!

USA play fair all long!!!

Has the U.S never cheated in the olympics or are all the other gold medals the Chinese got by way of cheating?
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by Thor(m): 2:55pm On Aug 24, 2008
Everybody who won a medal is a winner, even taking part in the Olympics makes you a winner.

Stop trying to turn the Olympics into some kind of racist, nationalistic event angry angry angry

It's all about the spirit of competing
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by presido1: 3:01pm On Aug 24, 2008
SeanT21:

This is not about their age, Its about Performance. The Judges cheated Nastai Lukin. He should have gotten the gold but the Dear Judges give her a lower point than the Chinese Girl that did worse than her.
The Judges are appointed by IOC and not Chinese Govt, how did you know that the Judge who cheated your country man is from china? Marion Jones is no cheat i guess, Very soon we will hear about Mike Phelp
Accept it that China prepared berra and performed berra. How ever big your pride is IOC table is the official one.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by savanaha: 3:04pm On Aug 24, 2008
presido1:

The Judges are appointed by IOC and not Chinese Govt, how did you know that the Judge who cheated your country man is from china? Marion Jones is no cheat i guess, Very soon we will hear about Mike Phelp
Accept it that China prepared berra and performed berra. How ever big your pride is IOC table is the official one.

Truer words were never said.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by onyinye2(f): 3:05pm On Aug 24, 2008
savanaha:

Has it been proven that the Chinese cheated  with the underage girl or is it still speculation? Even if the gold medal is stripped from the Chinese they will still be on top for gold medal count with out the gymnastics gold medal. Frthermore, when Marion Jones was winning all the fake gold medal no one suspected her till years after. She was on every headline news world wide for running amazingly but I bet you when she was found out for taking performance enhancement drugs many people didn't hear about it.
Why don't you go and look at all the Chinese who were prohibited from playing these summer Olympics.

presido1:

Can u proof the highlighted? why is it only in American media? Until IOC confirms that just keep mute about it.
Last i checked the Gold medal diff is in double figure(15) so the 12 yr old boy won 15 golds to beat US.
Am having a laugh.
Oka which 12 year old boy?

presido1:

Ha ha look at this one talk. You are now showing your true colors. Thanx for mentioning Micheal Phelps. I had suspicions over your post but now that you mentioned him. . . . you cleared them all up. Thank You Very Much. You did well.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by savanaha: 3:10pm On Aug 24, 2008
onyinye2:

Why don't you go and look at all the Chinese who were prohibited from playing these summer Olympics.

Exactly, they were prohibited unlike Marion who was not banned but ran like she did it on her own. Even I cheered and was amazed by her. It turns out I was cheered for steroids.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by presido1: 3:12pm On Aug 24, 2008
onyinye2:

Oka which 12 year old boy?
Ha ha look at this one talk. You are now showing your true colors. Thanx for mentioning Micheal Phelps. I had suspicions over your post but now that you mentioned him. . . . you cleared them all up. Thank You Very Much. You did well.
U mentioned 12 yr old, weda boy or gyl makes no diff. Why won't u be suspicious, if your mind is clear about him i don't think u will suspect me.
U were suspicious cuz we have the same thing in mind about the dude. grin grin
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by onyinye2(f): 3:14pm On Aug 24, 2008
presido1:

You mentioned 12 yr old, weda boy or gyl makes no diff. Why won't u be suspicious, if your mind is clear about him i don't think u will suspect me.
You were suspicious because we have the same thing in mind about the dude. grin grin
Oka im completely lost.

savanaha:

Exactly, they were prohibited unlike Marion who was not banned but ran like she did it on her own. Even I cheered and was amazed by her. It turns out I was cheered for steroids.
Oka this is not how you debated. When you are given a reference, you don't subside it and go back to your previous statement and use it as a scapegoat.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by onyinye2(f): 3:14pm On Aug 24, 2008
Here's a list of just some of the athletes who have been banned from competing in Beijing, after testing positive for doping, before or during the games:

Ouyang Kunpeng, Swimming (China)
Anastasia Fatina and Anastasia Karabelshchikova, Rowing (Russia)
Riis Anderson, Cycling (Denmark)
Wang Hongni, Triathlete (China)
Riccardo Ricco, Cycling (Italy)
Tassos Gousis, Sprinter (Greece)
Svetlana Cherkasova, 800 meter (Russia)
Yulia Fomenko, 1500 meter (Russia)
Yelena Soboleva, 800 and 1500 meters, (Russia)
Tatyana Tomashova 1500 (Russia)
Olga Yegorova, 1500 and 5000 (Russia)
Gulfiya Khanafeyeva, Hammer Throw (Russia)
Darya Pishchalnikova, Discus (Russia)
[Here's a link to an article about all 7 of the above Russians]
Jessica Hardy, Swimmer (USA) - 2 August
Elena Antoci, 1500 meters (Romania)
Cristina Vasiloiu, 1500 meters (Romania)
Ioannis Drymonakos, Swimmer (Greece)
Roman Usov, Steeplechaser (Russia)
Lada Chernova, Javelin Throw (Russia)
Vladimir Kanaykin, Race Walker (Russia) (slide #3)
Valeri Borchin, Race Walker (Russia) (slide #4)
Alexei Voyevodin, 50km (Russia)

The latest rumors are surrounding various Chinese swimmers, who placed much higher in the 4X100 relay than expected. The Chinese team was ranked 39th in the world coming into the event, but will enter the finals as the #1 seed, after posting the best time in the qualifying heats. Is this a case of sour grapes, and merely an attempt by the American media to cast doubt on an inspirational performance by the Chinese? Doubtful. More than 30 Chinese swimmers failed drug tests in the 1990's, and the Chinese haven't been legitimate #1 contenders in swimming in recent years, so there's definitely something fishy about this first-place finish.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by 702: 3:15pm On Aug 24, 2008
abeg we bin carry how many?
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by presido1: 3:16pm On Aug 24, 2008
onyinye2:

Oka im completely lost.
Why?
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by debosky(m): 3:17pm On Aug 24, 2008
onyinye2:

The latest rumors are surrounding various Chinese swimmers, who placed much higher in the 4X100 relay than expected. The Chinese team was ranked 39th in the world coming into the event, but will enter the finals as the #1 seed, after posting the best time in the qualifying heats. Is this a case of sour grapes, and merely an attempt by the American media to cast doubt on an inspirational performance by the Chinese? Doubtful. More than 30 Chinese swimmers failed drug tests in the 1990's, and the Chinese haven't been legitimate #1 contenders in swimming in recent years, so there's definitely something fishy about this first-place finish.

'definitely' is a pretty certain term don't you think? 'Likely' would be a more suitable adjective, based on current evidence, they might simply be the product of intense training and preparation, or drug use - there's nothing 'definite' about either case.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by onyinye2(f): 3:20pm On Aug 24, 2008
debosky:

'definitely' is a pretty certain term don't you think? 'Likely' would be a more suitable adjective, based on current evidence, they might simply be the product of intense training and preparation, or drug use - there's nothing 'definite' about either case.
(coughing relentlessly)

presido1:

Why?
Because i have no idea what you are debating about. First i don't know what olympian who won 15 golds to beat The Great TEAM USA or some 12 year old boy. I don't know if you are being sarcastic, for real, or just a hater.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by presido1: 3:23pm On Aug 24, 2008

This is from you, is somebody using ur handle?
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by onyinye2(f): 3:25pm On Aug 24, 2008
presido1:

This is from you, is somebody using your handle?
Yeah this is from me and never once did i say "12 year old boy" "12 year old boy beat USA with 15 gold" so on and so forth.
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by SeanT21(f): 3:26pm On Aug 24, 2008
savanaha:

Well, The USA Olympic Commitee had nothing to do with it. She did it on her own. Soo You ahev to blame her as an individual.
presido1:

Maybee The Chinese government pay them because they were clearly ANTI-USA!!
Re: China Vs Usa In 2008 Olympics by savanaha: 3:27pm On Aug 24, 2008
onyinye2:

Good thing you are a good debater. I was in a debating too so maybe our coaches taught us differently on how to debate. Anyhow the reason I brought up Marion Jones again is because you make it seem like the Chinese did not actively search to ensure people were not cheating. The reason the food for this olympics were tightly regulated is because the Chinese grow their foods with steroids which then end up looking like the athletes are doping.

I don;t get the point of listing the athletes who were banned from competing.

Anyways like someone said the Chinese were hosting the Olympics in their country and they have known for four years so they worked their hardest not to be outdone in their own country and they weren't. In terms of gold medals that is. So anyone can have their suspicions and smell fish all they want
because their victory . . .

debosky:

might simply be the product of intense training and preparation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

This Team Can Be Better Than 94 - Keshi / 18+ Photos: Upcoming Nollywood Actress Who Posed Nude For A Magazine Cover Says / Movingbet Are Scammers.see Proof (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.