Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,925 members, 7,806,690 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:54 PM

60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? (11655 Views)

When People Are Sacked From Their Jobs, Do They Get Paid? / For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be / The Number Of Persons That Lost Their Jobs In Nigeria:The Second Quarter Of 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Finecat(m): 10:48am On Aug 24, 2008
Bank Workers Groan Under Deposit Targets: Thousands To Lose Jobs - Experts Speak On Danger Ahead
By Bankole Makinde, Abuja and Seyi Geshinde - 23.08.2008

A mass wave of retrenchment will soon hit the banking industry as managements of banks across the country have reportedly resolved to do away with the services of thousands of their members of staff who could not attain the deposit target recently set for them.

There are presently close to 50,000 workers in the banking sector, out of which more than 60 per cent would ultimately join the labour market under the new dispensation.

Saturday Tribune gathered authoritatively from workers in the various banks that the management of the 25 capitalized banks, have devised fool-proof and unchallengeable mechanism to ease workers out of the system.

The move, according to Saturday Tribune source, is aimed at shoring up the deposit base of banks for expansion and enhance both their liquidity and profitability index.

To achieve this without much protest from the public, the banks were said to have set definite unattainable deposit targets for staffers to quicken their exit from the system.

For example, deposit targets set for attainment before the end of the year hover between N3 billion per branch, N1.3 billion for new intakes and N1.6 billion for old hands per annum.

To compound their predicament, the introduction of the Automated Teller Machine (ATM) has rendered most of them redundant as the jobs of hitherto cashier staff of banks are more or less not needed by the banks.

Not minding the fact that the economy is in near comatose, bank staff are mandated to meet the set target or bid bye to their jobs.

Worst hit, according to Saturday Tribune investigations across many banks in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) are “Freshers” and diploma holders who are, out of compulsion, ordered to turn in between N960 million per person annually and Branch Managers who must garner an average of N500 million per annum, just like old staff who must turn in an average of N1.6 billion per annum.

The most liberal bank on the policy, according to Saturday Tribune research, is a first generation bank which has set a “reasonable” N5 million to N50 million deposit target for its staff per annum.

Following the development, most bankers are now looking for less demanding jobs, irrespective of the payment portfolio to get out of the logjam.

Expectedly, fresh female graduates who are good looking remained the major targets of the banks to bring in the “loot” but the ladies too were reportedly complaining that potential depositors would always demand for “sex for cash,” thus making them trooping out of the industry in droves.

The House of Representatives recently invited the bigwigs in the Banking Sector to demand from them the reason why they should engage the ladies in the “sex trade on account of looking for deposit.”

The bankers too were said to have convinced the lawmakers that the issue was that of “offer and acceptance” as no one was forcefully coerced into accepting the job, but that the banks could only survive the stringent monetary policy of the Federal Government by sourcing for funds wherever and however possible.

Saturday Tribune gathered that the lawmakers complained that using the ladies as “experimental rats” could complicate the HIV/AIDS situation in the country.

A top banker who spoke with Saturday Tribune on condition of strict anonymity, declared that the amount of the deposit target chosen by any bank was a direct reflection of its liquidity base and solvency in the banking industry.

However, speaking on the trauma that could follow the sudden lay-off of workers from their duty posts, the Head, Department of Psychiatry, University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan, Prof Oye Gureje, said depression could set in, thereby leading to psychological problems which were injurious to the victims and the society at large.

He said though, people have their different ways of handling the situation, many, especially, breadwinners in their families, might not be able to adapt favourably with the development when it dawned on them that they could no longer meet their daily obligations.

“If a worker is laid off suddenly from his duty post without any buffer, or certain benefits or sustenance means like pension, along the line, depression may set in and can lead to psychological problems.

“When someone who has been working before could no longer go to work or a breadwinner could no longer provide for his family, such becomes frustrated owing to the need to depend on other people for daily living.

“Again, it leads to anger and some may result to crime as a way of venting the anger on the society.

“Another is if such a person does not have the coping skill or support to sustain while still being unemployed, he/she may take to crime,” Gureje said.

Without offering the needed support, he said the victims might gradually lost their sense of worth and value when they could no longer do what they used to do or meet up with already set plans.

“But when complications begin to set in, the best is to seek for professional help,” Gureje said.

Also contributing, a cardiologist, Dr. Abiodun Adeoye of the UCH, Ibadan, said though a pathetic situation, coping with the depression that might follow depended on a person’s previous health records.

He said if those who fell victims had not had previous records of Psychiatry cases, they might get over the disappointment with time, but if they had been patients, the resultant effects could be awkward.

“Some may not be able to sleep well again or wake up early, it leads to sympathetic drive and all these are what lead to stress which is a psychiatry problem.

“In the long run, it can cause hypertension (high blood pressure) because of excessive thinking, all these are psychological disorders and depression most importantly, it is a psychiatric case.

“For some, they take to excessive eating, gaining weight and if this happens, it can lead to fatness of the heart, which is a cardiac disorder, some may refuse to eat, thereby losing weight, it affects their health too.

“But the fact is that it is not everybody that will be negatively affected, some may be able to cope with the situation, while others may not be able to cope,” Adeoye said.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/23082008/news/news1.html
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by lobinoxebe(m): 2:21pm On Aug 25, 2008
wetin that one tell Us,
i no dey work for Bank So,
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by chikejude(m): 2:59pm On Aug 25, 2008
Only the strong survive.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by oziomatv(m): 3:05pm On Aug 25, 2008
chikejude:

The target thing is a way of checking none performance and truancy in the industry.
How do you thing Bank make that kind of money to pay their staff.
Our Banking Industry is not as liquid as we think most of these banks give fake/tampered report to the public.In a bid to make up for there lies they now use young undergraduates who are earnestly looking for work show them big salary package and work/stress the hell out of them.

Our Government can help the industry by keeping most of our money in the system instead of flying them abroad and enriching their own institutions.

AKALAWU JUDE
YENAGOA

Nice responds  but the phone number and address for what
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by vislabraye(m): 3:26pm On Aug 25, 2008
Its becoming more and more terrible, This target of a thing gives no one peace of mind. I wonder how some banks expect a graduate to manufacture 960million per annum, That is callous,but unfortunately, they are the ones recruiting the most,
The safest place so far in the banking industry seems to be the IT
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by frag(m): 3:27pm On Aug 25, 2008
chikejude:

The target thing is a way of checking none performance and truancy in the industry.
How do you thing Bank make that kind of money to pay their staff.
Our Banking Industry is not as liquid as we think most of these banks give fake/tampered report to the public.In a bid to make up for there lies they now use young undergraduates who are earnestly looking for work show them big salary package and work/stress the hell out of them.

Our Government can help the industry by keeping most of our money in the system instead of flying them abroad and enriching their own institutions.

AKALAWU JUDE
YENAGOA

@chikejude
Banks are suppose to be private ventures making profit for their shareholders.This is got nothing to do with the government. To hell with them i will say. The banks dont practise banking right in this country. Banks are suppose to trade in money i.e lend money out in return for interest and commission but these guys dont do such. While the banking sector is growing on false balancesheet figures the economy that it is meant to be feeding upon is dying. They just want to sit there-riskfree- expecting government funds. While the banks in other countries are striving on micro-credits the stupid nigerian banks are sitting on their fat arses expecting to make enough money on rubbish C.O.T.
I feel sorry for you guys in the banking sector because its not justified when you have to work from 8am-10pm looking for some rediculous targets and still get laid off if you dont meet up.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by izeek(m): 3:30pm On Aug 25, 2008
i hope this will act as a disuader to most of our youths solely seeking bank jobs.
there is no job security in that sector, and i have said it time unend,
i will only work for a bank as a consultant.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Aug 25, 2008
Well this as always been inevitable. The bank industry is obviously biting more than it can chew at this point. While they do help a lot of people out of the unemployment market, there is no plan for their future. I don't think most of these banks even have a 5 yr development plan for the new graduates since they know in reality that  60-70% won't be around in 1-3 yrs time. They are just keen on making profits and would do so at any cost -- hire any frustrated graduate without regard for their background, as  long as they can attain an "unattainable target". I see a time when the industry will reach its climax and head for a downfall. The reason i say this is that the ridiculous profit most banks are claiming now will fall when proper regulations fall into place. I bet a lot of nigerians don't really check their accounts to notice the little frivolous charges that banks place on their accounts , (N10 from one million customers can easily turn into 10 million you know) . Same thing is the N100 and N200 i heard they charge for atm's now. When all the proper checks and balances are put into place, the noise about banks will reduce and we will stop seeing 5000 bank branches on one street, i didn't mention zenith ooo!!!!!
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 25, 2008
Wetin this mean 2 NIGERIAN GRADUATES?

Study not 4 white collar jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Embrace self employment/ Entrepreneurship

Banking jobs are ROUTINE JOBS dt do not allow 4 THINKING/ LOOKING INWARDS AT ONE'S CAPABILITIES.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by eryck(m): 4:02pm On Aug 25, 2008
@topic
This is crazzzy undecided undecided undecided i have always known that a time like this would come. I really feel for bankers.
THE LAW OF DIMINISHING RETURN I GUESS undecided

THIS OUR 9JA GO EVER SETTLE SO?  cry
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 25, 2008
Oh my God, dont tell me thats true. Anyway, what can I say, my ex's going to loose his job grin
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by idupaul: 4:35pm On Aug 25, 2008
Ujujoan:

Oh my God, don't tell me thats true. Anyway, what can I say, my ex's going to loose his job grin
wicked grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by onyekang1(f): 4:47pm On Aug 25, 2008
Ujujoan:

Oh my God, don't tell me thats true. Anyway, what can I say, my ex's going to loose his job grin
had a good laugh grin
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by agaba123(m): 4:52pm On Aug 25, 2008
frag:

@chikejude
Banks are suppose to be private ventures making profit for their shareholders.This is got nothing to do with the government. To hell with them i will say. The banks don't practise banking right in this country. Banks are suppose to trade in money i.e lend money out in return for interest and commission but these guys don't do such. While the banking sector is growing on false balancesheet figures the economy that it is meant to be feeding upon is dying. They just want to sit there-riskfree- expecting government funds. While the banks in other countries are striving on micro-credits the stupid nigerian banks are sitting on their fat arses expecting to make enough money on rubbish C.O.T.
I feel sorry for you guys in the banking sector because its not justified when you have to work from 8am-10pm looking for some rediculous targets and still get laid off if you don't meet up.
This is beautiful my brother
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by agaba123(m): 4:53pm On Aug 25, 2008
Ujujoan:

So you have still not forgiven him for dumping you?
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by mazaje(m): 5:15pm On Aug 25, 2008
agaba123:

she is still bitter because she was jilted. . . . . . . . . . .
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 25, 2008
agaba123:

Of course I've forgiven him. Why wont I forgive?? But I've been having a fatansy of his house burning, or his car crashing irrepairably or his investments crashing and the rest of them. Now he's going to lose his job, isnt that a jackpot wink
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by naijacutee(f): 5:24pm On Aug 25, 2008
abanna:

Wetin this mean 2 NIGERIAN GRADUATES?

Study not 4 white collar jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Embrace self employment/ Entrepreneurship

Banking jobs are ROUTINE JOBS dt do not allow 4 THINKING/ LOOKING INWARDS AT ONE'S CAPABILITIES.

I agree with you, abanna!! We should start investing in our own capabilities through Entrepreneurship. If only we can channel their energies into starting our own ventures, instead of depending on white-collar jobs, we will save so much of the wasted energy otherwise spent in job-hunting for jobs in which we have little security. . .
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by dearie(m): 6:02pm On Aug 25, 2008
I used to think we had a public who are savvy enough to decipher what is, from all these cheap publications.

While i agree that Banks set ridiculous targets for their staff, to ensure that they work all round the clock, i think it's most unfair to post junks like this to discredit the owners of these banks. True, these guys are capitalists, and also have their excesses, i think justifying the bumper pay their staffers earn is not out of place.

Mind you, I do not in anyway encourage the 'corporate prostitution' some of them encourage, i can assure you that i know a bank that doesn't encourage it, yet they are in the top five in the country.

The 60% gist is a crap that should be discarded with a wave of the hand.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by reindeer: 9:39pm On Aug 25, 2008
dismissing it with a wave of a hand may not be the best idea here.Its just good for workers in this sector to start making back up plans for their future,upgrade their qualifications and involve in big investments, whtever, just secure their future.
the only sure thing is working for yourself,
i have always seen two things as important, money and time and they dont have to be mutually exclusive.
im sure there are jobs that make you comfortable without you sacrificing your 'life'
i wish them all the best.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by GoldCircle: 10:00pm On Aug 25, 2008
@ poster!
  Wetin be your own sef with bankers and banks! I've had to personally confront you once on this before. Wont you just let them be? Abi na their own fault say banks give them employment and dey manage to pay well? In as much as you may have some geniune concerns about the banking sector, please quit the vituperations and mudslinging. I've been following your posts lately and it appears you got nothing more to say other than bankers are this, Bank A or B will go under soon & so on & so forth,

Abeg! let's get positve 4 once! there's so much negativity in here!

As for the topic, I sincerely think this is junk journalism at its peak! Just read the whole story from A-Z, no substance! No concrete facts! "source that craved anonymity",  angry angry angry
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Seun(m): 10:05pm On Aug 25, 2008
Don't be an ostrich. The OP didn't write the article in question. wink
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by ariyokunle: 10:27pm On Aug 25, 2008
although 'm not a banker but if i 'd the oppurtunity to, i wn't ' mind, but all thesame, all wat u guys 've said was total
jealousy. if u see someone progressing why the envy.if wat u do is so interesting to u and u 've satiafied,u wn't 've the time to talk alday about others these much.pls pray to get a self fulfiling job and hope for the best on your career.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by GoldCircle: 10:33pm On Aug 25, 2008
seun, na You get your mouth! it's a free world!

Don't be a Dragon!!
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by aoamaria(m): 10:57pm On Aug 25, 2008
na lie!!!!
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Koya64: 11:12pm On Aug 25, 2008
While i don't quite agree that the banks will lay off up to 60% of bankers in one fell swoop,the truth is that anyone looking for job securty now should look away from the banking industry.Your security and progress in any bank nowadays depends greatly on what you can bring in as deposit.Nobody cares how you get it.What is important is for you to bring deposit.
It is true that no one forces the bankers to take the job,but the truth is that most of the people at the helm of affairs in banks now need to put some measure of human face in the deposit targets for their staff as this is not currently so. I should know- i qiut the banking industry 4 months ago after many years as a banker.God made it possible for me to leave with dignity at a time i was already fed up with the job.I got parting entitlement of over #10m.I am still thinking and praying about what to do now apart from investment in stock and money marketas i was so busy in the bank that i didnt have time to do other things while there .
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by royalicon(m): 11:29pm On Aug 25, 2008
Be self employed, believe in yourself and what you can do.
When they are retrenched, they are welcomed to the world of reality -I LOVE BEEN MY OWN BOSS.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by JeopardE(m): 11:53pm On Aug 25, 2008
And the fallout from the stock market crash begins.

I hate to say it, but the worst is yet to come here, I feel sorry for people who are still depending on dividend income. Soludo and his friends had better start thinking about how they're going to solve the impending liquidity crisis in Nigeria's banking sector.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by OutlukBabe(f): 1:01am On Aug 26, 2008
The Nigerian banking system is a centre for corruption. All the brouhaha about fighting corruption is just hoax if banks are allowed to operate as they are. Nigerian economy depends on oil. 70% of the economy is oil which accrues to the 3 tiers of government. Our economy is non taxed and non manufacturing, thus nearly 100% a consumer economy. Banks in Nigeria makes profit by exorbitant charges of COT on government accounts and government related activities accounts. They charge exorbitant interests on any loan that is collected by government agencies. All of the so called new giant banks came into being as a result of cover they provide to government officials to siphoned govt money. All the corruptions and stealing of money we are hearing today are not done in liquid cash. Everything is done in banks. All banks are mandated to report any transaction they feel is suspicious to be money laundery. But they never report. All the new big banks are axis of corruption. Almost 10% of the all government budget (federal, states and local govt) ends up in the balance sheets of the banks as profit. Nigerians banks need regulation. They need to be investigated seriously. Any bank found abating corruption should be heavily penalized. Well, the banks are owned by share holders who happen to be ppl like Ibori, Saraki, YarAdua, so nothing will be done in the near future.

Going to the maltreatment of the staffs. The new generation banks now do not pay overtime. Bankers works like they got no life other than banks. Report to office as early as 7am close between 6 -8pm (11 - 12hrs) of work on daily basis. However, bankers in Nigeria collects armed robber salaries compared to lecturers, civil servants, doctors etc, A fresh graduate working in bank earn 140 -200 thousand now in most banks. Alot of my classmates (with engineering degree) end up in the banks. They have forgotten about circuit theory and fourier series. They just have to survive. Nigerian economy is a shame.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by dimitri(m): 3:04am On Aug 26, 2008
@ poster

i think the article was an exergeration , in as much as there is so much 'slavery' in the banking sector, i think that laying off 60% is not realistic although i must admit that bank staffs have already started loosing their jobs , the point here is that the industry is survival of the fittest both for the employers and the employees.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 26, 2008
Well i don't believe that the article is a junk journalism and bank jobs don't appeal to me. Nigerian bank don't really declear their profit they just go out there and declear a very large amount as profit to the general public, well i pity people that work in the bank we should embraced entreprenuship there is nothing like being your boss and there is no job security in this our beloved courtry
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by dearie(m): 7:44am On Aug 26, 2008
while i encourage entrepreneurship, i must advise that you look well before taking the leap. the infrastructures are just not there, with expected running expenses hitting the 7 figure mark, how can an average beginner cope? Even when existing businesses are winding down. Some companies spend as much as N140M monthly on diesel to power their Gen., not to talk of other operating expenses.

We still have a lot to do to encourage entrepreneurship.

I totally encourage entrepreneurship, it's the best form employment ever and the major panacea to poverty, and i just pray, God enables as many of us that desire it, to stand.

Please quit hating the banks, whether we like it or not, they are basically the cause of the return of the middle class in the land, and have given the economy a boost in recent times.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Advice On Being An Actuary / Project & Data Analysis Using SPSS, Eviews, DAD, STATA Others / For Physics With Electronics Professioner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.