Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,622 members, 7,801,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

Is It Right For Hospitals To Refuse To Treat Gunshot Victims? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is It Right For Hospitals To Refuse To Treat Gunshot Victims? (2195 Views)

BUDGET OFFICE: 14 Federal Tertiary Hospitals To Receive November Salary Late! / IGP Directs Hospitals To Treat Gunshot Victims / Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For Hospitals To Refuse To Treat Gunshot Victims? by DatNiggaAk(m): 12:09pm On Aug 28, 2008
Earlier this week i was going through the papers and i read of an armed robbery incident in lagos where about
8 civilians where killed including 2 of the bank staff. Amongst those killed was a young boy who was hit by a stray
bullet when the robbers where randomly shooting into the air to scare away the police.
it was reported that the boy was rushed to a nearby hospital by people in the neighborhood for treatment but the
Hospital staff refused to treat him unless they bring a police report. The young boy eventually bled to death.

My question now is that;
Is it right for hospitals to refuse to treat victims of gunshots or stabbings and instead allow presumably innocent
Nigerians to die?
If they treat such people and save their lives, what is the implication on the hospital?
Re: Is It Right For Hospitals To Refuse To Treat Gunshot Victims? by Reese1: 2:12pm On Aug 28, 2008
As far as I am aware, In the general sense (whether in Nigeria or anywhere else), yes, hospitals can turn away patients, but not when there is clearly a need for emergency medical treatment.

In non-emergency situations, it would depend on whether the hospital is public or private. In a situation where there is not an emergency, a private hospital has the right to turn away anyone they want for whatever reason. It would be illegal for a public hospital to do that though.

In that situation you described though, of someone clearly bleeding to death from an injury no public or private hospital has the right to turn that person away. That's against what they should be representing.  angry

If they nurse the person back to health, there are no implications on the hospital, they're just doing their job.

All that stuff about police report, money, etc is secondary when a life needs to be saved.
Re: Is It Right For Hospitals To Refuse To Treat Gunshot Victims? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 28, 2008
The hospital has no better reason for not treating the young boy, except that the entire staff hospital could have been locked up in a police cell, accused of treating criminals and finally put out of business.

That's Nigeria police for you. Una well done oooo.
Re: Is It Right For Hospitals To Refuse To Treat Gunshot Victims? by ssRhino: 2:32pm On Aug 28, 2008
I think it is the govt that will have to revisit the law and make a clause to make sure, when emergency is involved and it is btw life and death, the patient shd be treated, but afterwards should be reported to the police for questioning, but when it invloves life and death, i blv the hospitals shd use their discretion as well, treat the patient.
Re: Is It Right For Hospitals To Refuse To Treat Gunshot Victims? by madamkoko: 3:02pm On Aug 28, 2008
I notice that Nairaland is full with negative news of Nigeria. Blah, blah, blah, blah.

Enough!!!! Nigeria is bad, evil, this, that, : doesn't stop foreigners and foreign coporations from making the Millions, MILLIONS, and millions of dollars from this bad, evil country we call Nigeria. 

I recently met with a political figure from this same evil country we all call Nigeria who will be purchasing a house in Atlanta cash down,  all the same evil, bad, dysfunctional country.

Every Nigerian needs to be held accountable for not planning and willing to change their country. The solution to change is definately not to run to another man's country.
Re: Is It Right For Hospitals To Refuse To Treat Gunshot Victims? by DatNiggaAk(m): 6:57pm On Aug 28, 2008
madamkoko:

I notice that Nairaland is full with negative news of Nigeria. Blah, blah, blah, blah.

Enough!!!! Nigeria is bad, evil, this, that, : doesn't stop foreigners and foreign coporations from making the Millions, MILLIONS, and millions of dollars from this bad, evil country we call Nigeria.

I recently met with a political figure from this same evil country we all call Nigeria who will be purchasing a house in Atlanta cash down, all the same evil, bad, dysfunctional country.

Every Nigerian needs to be held accountable for not planning and willing to change their country. The solution to change is definately not to run to another man's country.

if you will please stop going out of point, all that is happening here is that we are trying to find solutions
to what affects us everyday in nigeria.Fortunately and unfortunately for you it seems you are not
based in the country.perhaps you should tell us what made you run away from Nigeria?
Re: Is It Right For Hospitals To Refuse To Treat Gunshot Victims? by misssexyu(f): 9:27am On Aug 30, 2008
@ $$Rhino 10x,yeah i think d govt will need to rephrase their statement to mk sure dat wen it has to do with an emergency(i.e life nd death)dat d patient should be given proper medication and attended to immediately.theirafter d police can now look into d matter
Re: Is It Right For Hospitals To Refuse To Treat Gunshot Victims? by james1(m): 5:54pm On Sep 01, 2008
Hello.
It is wickedness should a hospital refuse to administer treatment to a person in dire need of such.many person(s) have lost their lives because of the fear of what the police will do
to such institutions.
The hospital should as a matter of fact treat such people and then call in the police to investigate:what better means are there to save a life and apprehend a felon? wink
Re: Is It Right For Hospitals To Refuse To Treat Gunshot Victims? by mi3(f): 4:45pm On Oct 15, 2008
hell no it's not right! i saw a similar situation is some Naija/Ghanian movie i came across by accident and was completely pissed off for a week! how can people in a HOSPITAL watch somebody die because there is no paper from the Naija police? (who will most likely arrest you when you go to get it sef)

I thought that Doctors take the Hippocratic oath before they start practicing? aren't they obliged to save lives in any situation they can? the whole thing is bullshitty, can't they sort out the police wahala after the person has been stabilized? even if this law was thought up because they assume it's criminals that will most likely come in with gunshot wounds, is it not still wrong? how will the hypothetical criminal be condemnded to death without hearing or trial?

it's some very messed up law that should be discarded
Re: Is It Right For Hospitals To Refuse To Treat Gunshot Victims? by karlken(m): 6:37pm On Oct 16, 2008
I understand a review of that law is already with the senate.The Drs are simply obeying the previous law.

(1) (Reply)

... / How To Get Rid Of Period Pain Naturally / Some Things That Doesn't Change When You Lose Your Virginity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.