Stats: 3,148,550 members, 7,801,548 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! (13424 Views)

Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos / This "Illiterate" Got Only The Spelling Of His Name Right / Spelling Errors On Nairaland Are Driving Me Nuts! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by CGO: 2:41am On Aug 29, 2008
It's appaling that a large population of our so called educated Nigerians still make simple spelling errors in writing and speech.
Examples:
1. This particular one irritates the hell out of me! -  DEFINATELY AS OPPOSED TO DEFINITELY
2. INTERNATE AS OPPOSED TO INTERNET
3.I have also seen GOOD MOURNING AS OPPOSED TO GOOD MORNING.
and others too many to mention. Please kindly come up with other errors so people can be informed, It is disgraceful because most of these word are basics that shouldnt be mis-spelt
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by KarmaMod(f): 2:46am On Aug 29, 2008
CGO:

It's appauling that a large population of our so called educated Nigerians \

I vote for this one.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by CGO: 2:56am On Aug 29, 2008
nice one
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by TheSly: 2:57am On Aug 29, 2008
CGO:

It's appauling that a large population of our so called educated Nigerians still make simple spelling errors in writing and speech.
Examples:
1. This particular one irritates the hell out of me! - DEFINATELY AS OPPOSED TO DEFINITELY
2. INTERNATE AS OPPOSED TO INTERNET
3.I have also seen GOOD MOURNING AS OPPOSED TO GOOD MORNING.
and others too many to mention. Please kindly come up with other errors so people can be informed, It is disgraceful because most of these word are basics that shouldnt be mis-spelt
See how you just shot yourself on the foot. . . . . . . .Uh oh Uh oh! grin
Remove the logs in your own eyes before venturing to remove from the eye of others.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by CGO: 3:00am On Aug 29, 2008
I never said anybody was above mistakes dummy, everybody learns everyday!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Nobody: 3:04am On Aug 29, 2008
On a serious note, Nigerians do make spelling errors. . . . . which is nothing new because the whole world, US even, makes spelling errors.

What is appalling is the fact that education is not a priority in our (Nigeria) society, but making fast money is the ultimate goal.
The fault is not 100% their luggage to carry, let's talk about Nigerians carrying diplomas/degrees around but no job.
So where does the motivation to get education comes from if the education won't get you anywhere?

Abegi, Nigeria is messsssssssed up!!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by chiogo(f): 1:05pm On Aug 29, 2008
tollu:

Spelling errors and American politics, any relationship I can't see?
Girl, you can say that again!

It's appaling that a large population of our so called educated

@poster, Ok, you modified it from "appauling" to "appaling". still wrong! It's "appalling". tongue
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by seyibrown(f): 2:32pm On Aug 29, 2008
People make spelling mistakes everywhere. It is not peculiar to Nigerians.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by dudubobo1: 2:34pm On Aug 29, 2008
appauling?
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by dudubobo1: 2:35pm On Aug 29, 2008
Oyibo people don write for you before?
even make them speak English to you. Go manchester and you go bow for the level os illiteracy among oyibo people there. If you want spoil matter for oyibo, make you go Scotland, them no sabi speak or write English

forget tori
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by agaba123(m): 2:38pm On Aug 29, 2008
It is happauling undecided
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 29, 2008
Poster you are a 'full'  cheesy  cheesy

Really its called typographical errors . . Anybody can make a mistake; why attribute it to Nigerians
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by agaba123(m): 2:47pm On Aug 29, 2008
You can right enything in the internate. It is ovious that pepple will undestand what was sad. Do not worry about speling. It dos not mata.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by newdeal(m): 2:49pm On Aug 29, 2008
[quote author=Ujujoan link=topic=165180.msg2724351#msg2724351 date=12200
Anybody can make a mistake; why attribute it to Nigerians
[quote][/quote]

dont mind them, by the time una finish naija, make i see where una go run to.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by munky(m): 2:52pm On Aug 29, 2008
poster,
you could not even get it right twice.
It was your spelling on Nairaland home page that caught my eyes and when I read the topic in full, I started laughing.
this is a case of misplaced priority.
First things first,
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by iceland(m): 2:53pm On Aug 29, 2008
Ujujoan:

Poster you are a 'full'  cheesy  cheesy

Really its called typographical errors . . Anybody can make a mistake; why attribute it to Nigerians
I wonder o!.Any bad thing now relates with Nigeria.Where is our spirit of patriotism?Even the stupid guy was unable to spell appalling correctly.Even up till now he still writes apalling missed the second p.We Nigerians sha!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by agaba123(m): 2:55pm On Aug 29, 2008
Chei it is apallin that you guys are taking like this
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by munky(m): 2:56pm On Aug 29, 2008
English language errors has nothing to with Nigerians in Particular, it is a universal thing.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by nana(f): 2:56pm On Aug 29, 2008
*dead*  grin
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by bami1(m): 3:08pm On Aug 29, 2008
we spell better than d average british/ britishish.
leave matter
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by shilling(f): 3:10pm On Aug 29, 2008
agaba123:

You can right enything in the internate. It is ovious that pepple will undestand what was sad. Do not worry about speling. It dos not mata.

rofl

Let's not attribute spelling errors to Nigeria. Spelling errors are made all over the world.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by funjoy(f): 3:12pm On Aug 29, 2008
***Chuckles*** Lol,
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Sisikill: 3:21pm On Aug 29, 2008
If origunal poster said nobodi is abuve mistack, then what is the propose of this tread?  undecided
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by quadrillio(m): 3:30pm On Aug 29, 2008
The one that really cracks me and a friend of my up was a company's Bill board in front of the company reads

WE DEVELOP SOFTWEAR instead of software.

when they can't spell it, how can they develop it.

Na God go save us from quack professionals
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by KarmaMod(f): 3:32pm On Aug 29, 2008
It's the atrocious grammar he should attack, not spelling errors.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by ow11(m): 3:33pm On Aug 29, 2008
@poster

you also CANNOT spell correctly!!!!!!!!!!!

You said 'appauling' was a mistake and yet you changed it to appaling!!!!!!!!!

AMAZING!!! you should go and hang your head in shame. aquezin pipull of a cryme u sef dey comit!!!

MS Word get spell check incase you have no idea!!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 29, 2008
I can't stop laughing at the starter of this thread.
The Yoruba would say eniti yio fun ni l'aso, tara e laakowo, literally meaning 'For he who wants to give out another cloth to wear, first look at what he's wearing'.

At two attempts you can't get the spelling of APPALLING!!!!

You should have said WHY DO WE NIGERIANS(yourself inclusive) MAKE UNPARDONABLE SPELLING MISTAKE!!!

You top the pack of these people.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Jeovy(m): 3:42pm On Aug 29, 2008
quadrillio:

The one that really cracks me and a friend of my up was a company's Bill board in front of the company reads

WE DEVELOP SOFTWEAR  instead of software.

Very funny indeed,a lot of sense too
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by cold(m): 3:44pm On Aug 29, 2008
What is it u guys want to know?Ask the walking dictionary.
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by MCUsman(m): 3:45pm On Aug 29, 2008
grin grin grin grin grin All the [b]f[/b]eople in Naraland una wan kill the [b]f[/b]oor guy  grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by HC: 3:53pm On Aug 29, 2008
it reelly brakes my hart when i reed all this posts; its reaaly a[b]paul[/b]ing!!!
Re: Nigerians And Spelling Errors! It Keeps Getting Worse! by Sisikill: 3:57pm On Aug 29, 2008
quadrillio:

WE DEVELOP SOFTWEAR  instead of software.

LMAO! Now that is funny!

Really cracked me and a friend of MINE up. wink tongue

Does spell check 20 times before submitting.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

JAMB Debunks Rumour On Addition Of 40 Marks To Candidates Score / Delta State University Post Ume Reg And Date Of Exam / 2017/2018 Post UTME. How To Calculate Your Post Utme Scores.