Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

Murtala Mohammed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Murtala Mohammed (7647 Views)

Poll: Is Murtala Mohammed a Detrabalized Nigerian Hero?

Yes: 32% (11 votes)
No: 67% (23 votes)
This poll has ended

General Murtala Mohammed's Burial And Corpse (Photos) / Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 / Pictures Of Murtala Mohammed International Terminal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 9:05pm On Aug 31, 2008
Many Nigerians regard him as Nigeria's JFK. Why? Especially when he was the first head of state that introduced Nigeria into the OIC when he knew too well that Nigeria is not a muslim country?
Re: Murtala Mohammed by lonelypal(m): 10:09pm On Aug 31, 2008
Regardless of the fact he was a military man. He is the only President Nigeria never had sad
Re: Murtala Mohammed by grafikdon: 10:21pm On Aug 31, 2008
Nigeria is known for 'hero' worship. I am not surprised anyone would elevate such a cold blooded sadistic, malefic murderer to the level of JFK. Nigerians have no idea the magnitude of agony that was averted due to his much deserved death. Good riddance to bad rubbish! Now if we can just remove that abomination from our currency. . .
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DisGuy: 2:20am On Sep 01, 2008
grafikdon:

Nigeria is known for 'hero' worship. I am not surprised anyone would elevate such a cold blooded sadistic, malefic murderer to the level of JFK. Nigerians have no idea the magnitude of agony that was averted due to his much deserved death. Good riddance to bad rubbish! Now if we can just remove that abomination from our currency. . .

yea let's replace it with Ojukwu!! cool

you think the usa will flog us for being part of the oic?
wetin concern iya basira with our association with oic for goodness sake
sometimes we spend so much time thinking about mundane issues
that we don't have energy for the real issues!!
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 4:18am On Sep 01, 2008
I don't think he was that bad but I just don't know why some Nigerians compare him to JFK especially after his contribution to the issue of OIC and Nigeria. He was the only military leader dead or alive that is in our currency. Who even introduced him to our N20 note? There are many northerners that can fill his gap anyway.

N1 , Herbert macaulay(West)

N5, Tafewa Balewa(North)

N10, Alvan Ikuku( East)

N20, Murtala Mohammed(North)
Re: Murtala Mohammed by grafikdon: 4:28am On Sep 01, 2008
Dis Guy:

yea let's replace it with Ojukwu!! cool

you think the usa will flog us for being part of the oic?
wetin concern iya basira with our association with oic for goodness sake
sometimes we spend so much time thinking about mundane issues
that we don't have energy for the real issues!!

You can insinuate from Jerusalem to Jericho and it won't scratch my opinion on Murtala Mohammed. This is how you generate your own meanings out of someone's comments and cling to it tenaciously, Mr/Mrs Clairvoyance.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 6:44am On Sep 01, 2008
yea let's replace it with Ojukwu!!
Lmao; Ojukuw is not even the issue here.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by grafikdon: 7:46am On Sep 01, 2008
DeepZone:

Lmao; Ojukuw is not even the issue here.

Imagine that. . . lipsrsealed
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nobody: 9:22am On Sep 01, 2008
It is almost unanimously agreed that Murtala was the best Head of state Nigeria ever had.
He was a soldier with a difference, an epitome of humility. He died poor. He took over over at a critical period in Nigeria's history and started well until he was gunned down on Friday, February 13, 1976 in Lagos, while returning from Juma'at prayers.

Maybe you need to read the book JUST BEFORE DAWN by KOLE OMOTOSO.

He may not be perfect, but Murtala stood out among Nigeria's past leaders. He deserved all the honours(MMA,N20 etc) pls.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by MCUsman(m): 9:55am On Sep 01, 2008
DeepZone:

Many Nigerians regard him as Nigeria's JFK. Why? Especially when he was the first head of state that introduced Nigeria into the OIC when he knew too well that Nigeria is not a muslim country?

No matter how fervently people believed that the earth was flat, the fact remains that it isn''t Murtala Mohammed is regarded as Nigeria JFK by many as you rightly say, and still considered as German hitler by others.

DeepZone:

he was the first head of state that introduced Nigeria into the OIC when he knew too well that Nigeria is not a muslim country?

DEEPZONEI cannot refrain from commenting on your poll, you talked about been a non tribal leader and at the same time you brought the issue of religion. Nigeria membership to the OIC is an expresssion of right to freedom of association. What do you expect from countries bolded that are active menbers with less than 20% muslim population.

DEEPZONE You are living in the deepest zone of an alternative universe, where the truth is irrelevant - where hatred ignorance & tribal sentiments are the norms. GET BACK ON YOUR MEDS!!!

State Year of Accession

Afghanistan 1969
Albania 1992
Algeria 1969
Azerbaijan 1991
Bahrain 1970
Bangladesh 1974
Benin 1982 [/color]
Brunei Darussalam 1984
Burkina Faso 1975
Cameroon 1975 [color=#990000]

Chad 1969
Comoros 1976
Cote d'Ivoire 2001
Djibouti 1978
Egypt 1969
Gabon 1974 [/b]
The Gambia 1974
Guinea 1969
Guinea-Bissau 1974
Guyana 1998
Indonesia 1969
Iran 1969
Iraq 1976
Jordan 1969
Kazakhstan 1995
Kuwait 1969
Kyrgyzstan 1992
Lebanon 1969
Libya 1969
Malaysia 1969
Maldives 1976
Mali 1969
Mauritania 1969
Morocco 1969
[b]Mozambique 1994
[/color]Niger 1969
Nigeria 1986
Oman 1970
Pakistan 1969
Palestine State (proposed) 1969
Qatar 1970
Saudi Arabia 1969
Senegal 1969
Sierra Leone 1972
Somalia 1969
Sudan 1969
Surinam 1996
Syria 1970
Tajikistan 1992
Togo 1997 [color=#990000]
Tunisia 1969
Turkey 1969
Turkmenistan 1992
Uganda 1974 [/color]
United Arab Emirates 1970
Uzbekistan 1995
Yemen 1969

The OIC Observer States [color=#000099]

Bosnia and Herzegovina
Central African Republic
Thailand

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/oicstates1.html
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 3:44pm On Sep 01, 2008
It is almost unanimously agreed that Murtala was the best Head of state Nigeria ever had.
He was a soldier with a difference, an epitome of humility. He died poor. He took over over at a critical period in Nigeria's history and started well until he was gunned down on Friday, February 13, 1976 in Lagos, while returning from Juma'at prayers.

He may not be perfect, but Murtala stood out among Nigeria's past leaders. He deserved all the honours(MMA,N20 etc) please.

A lot of Nigerian leaders that time died poor. tafewa balewa, nnamdi azikiwe, even Shehu Shagari is not rich. Looting the Nigerian treasury by the north started from IBB. If Murtala Mohammed started the process of inducting Nigeria(a country that has more christians than muslims), then why should we overlook that and regard him as a martyr?
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 3:46pm On Sep 01, 2008
DEEPZONEI cannot refrain from commenting on your poll, you talked about been a non tribal leader and at the same time you brought the issue of religion. Nigeria membership to the OIC is an expresssion of right to freedom of association. What do you expect from countries bolded that are active menbers with less than 20% muslim population.

DEEPZONE You are living in the deepest zone of an alternative universe, where the truth is irrelevant - where hatred ignorance & tribal sentiments are the norms. GET BACK ON YOUR MEDS!!!

I'm glad you posted the OIC member nations and their year of accession. The year of accession is not the same as when the country first threw in her application for membership. Murtala Mohammed applied for Nigeria to get admitted into that Islamic club. Why didn't you see major african christian nations like Ghana and south africa in that list?
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 01, 2008
DeepZone:

When I saw this thread, I presumed Deepzone wanted to seek opinion on whether MM truly deserves the honour and respect he's been given today. It was thru her subsequent comments that I realized that she out to downplay the respect MM commands. But you have already said many Nigerians regard him as a great leader. Yes, people that know his records and read his intentions hold him in high records, and they are the majority.

Deepzone's problem is that she can't stand seeing a HAUSA MAN(Muslim for that matter) commanding such reverence.
DeepZone:

I'm glad you posted the OIC member nations and their year of accession. Why didn't you see major african christian nations like Ghana and south africa in that list?

Cameroun and Benin have Muslim-Christian proportion as Nigeria pls. Don't compare SA with Nigeria in terms of Muslim-Christian spread. SA has far more Christians. It's roughly 50-50 in Nigeria. So Cameroun and Benin are good refrence points.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by MCUsman(m): 5:11pm On Sep 01, 2008
DeepZone:

Why didn't you see major african christian nations like Ghana and south africa in that list?[/b]

What do you mean by major christian nations. And you know Nigeria is not a christain nation:-

Côte d'Ivoire If i may understand you.

DeepZone:

If Murtala Mohammed started the process of inducting Nigeria(a country that has more christians than muslims),

Google it yourself unless you intend to tell me that you do not believe in Google:

Religion   Year Reported   Number of Adherents   (Based on 140M. Pop.) [1]

Percentage of Total Population  

Islam  1999 70,000,000          50%

Christianity 1999 56,000,000  40%

Other 1999 14,000,000           10%
Re: Murtala Mohammed by MCUsman(m): 5:24pm On Sep 01, 2008
ife-eco-06:

When I saw this thread, I presumed Deepzone wanted to seek opinion on whether MM truly deserves the honour and respect he's been given today.

The moment i saw the trend i knew she was up to something Mischievous.

ife-eco-06:

Deepzone's problem is that she can't stand seeing a HAUSA MAN(Muslim for that matter) commanding such reverence.

You are dammed right, she/ he can never come to terms with anything good comming from a Hausaman, Northern Nigeria and any Muslim in general.

She has set in a motion and commanded a vicious cycle of misunderstanding, misguided policy and increasing violence and hatred against the North & Islam in general. History shows that the application of such negative media/ tribal stereotyping is not always an effective way of countering a system of deeply held ideas and beliefs.

Take another course[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b][/b]
Re: Murtala Mohammed by RibaduFan(m): 5:36pm On Sep 01, 2008
Mc Usman

What exactly are u trying to pass across?
Re: Murtala Mohammed by MCUsman(m): 5:39pm On Sep 01, 2008
yemmyse:

Mc Usman

What exactly are u trying to pass across?

Just what it sound like angry
Re: Murtala Mohammed by RibaduFan(m): 5:40pm On Sep 01, 2008
@ Mc Usman

Messages are best communicated when wirtten in few simple words. Some of us dont have dictioneries close by
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 5:42pm On Sep 01, 2008

You got me wrong; My issue here is why should he be given such accolades even though he tried to induct Nigeria into the world moslem club? Besides, he didn't rule Nigeria long enough for us to see his loopholes, rather, the only move he made was the OIC one in a few months in office. Why not Obasanjo that was the only military man to hand over to civilian(except Abdulsalami that did it a while ago).
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 5:51pm On Sep 01, 2008
Google it yourself unless you intend to tell me that you do not believe in Google:

Religion Year Reported Number of Adherents (Based on 140M. Pop.) [1]

Islam 1999 70,000,000 50%

Christianity 1999 56,000,000 40%

Other 1999 14,000,000 10%

Mumu; Google is not God, it was somebody that falsified the information officially and put it there so that Nigerias image will forever remain Islamic according to OIC tenets.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 01, 2008
MC Usman:

DEEPZONE I cannot refrain from commenting on your poll, you talked about been a non tribal leader and at the same time you brought the issue of religion. Nigeria membership to the OIC is an expresssion of right to freedom of association. What do you expect from countries bolded that are active menbers with less than 20% muslim population.

With all due respect, this is a most silly falsehood.

1. Lets assume the nonsense in highlights is true, shld not the same freedom of expression be granted Deepzone?

2. Nigeria's membership is NOT an expression of right to freedom of association because our membership was NEVER submitted to a referendum. We, the people, were not a part of the deliberation to join the OIC. Rather it is simply and FRANKLY an expression of the hegemonist agenda of a misruling cabal intent on using religion as a tool of oppression.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by RibaduFan(m): 5:59pm On Sep 01, 2008
But really thinking of it, what has OIC membership done to us as a nation? Personally it has not imparted my life in anyway, positive or negative.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 6:01pm On Sep 01, 2008
2. Nigeria's membership is NOT an expression of right to freedom of association because our membership was NEVER submitted to a referendum. We, the people, were not a part of the deliberation to join the OIC. Rather it is simply and FRANKLY an expression of the hegemonist agenda of a misruling cabal intent on using religion as a tool of oppression.

Thank you.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 01, 2008
ife-eco-06:

He may not be perfect, but Murtala stood out among Nigeria's past leaders. He deserved all the honours(MMA,N20 etc) please.

Rubbish. Aguiyi-Ironsi also died poor.
Murtala Mohamad was just another coup plotter. Who are those who "unanimously" agree murtala was the best head of state of Nigeria? He foistered on us the cabal of obasanjo, shehu yar adua, Danjuma, Babangida and Abacha. He nationalised thriving private enterpreneurships (eventually leading to their demise), he changed the currency to the naira . . . inscribing it with islamic/arabic letters (in a country that is 50% christian) . . .

Pls tell me, what good did this coup plotting killer do to us?
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 01, 2008
yemmyse:

But really thinking of it, what has OIC membership done to us as a nation? Personally it has not imparted my life in anyway, positive or negative.

We are stuck with nations like Niger, Bangladesh, Gaza (that is nothing more than a terrorist training camp), misguided loons like Cameroun, terror-exporting countries like Saudi Arabia and Algeria, unstable entitites like afghanistan and there are idiots here still hailing Murtala Mohammad's unilateral and unpopular decision to force us into the OIC?

Do these people realise we pay millions of dollars as membership fees? That these monies come solely from the christian parts of the country? Serious nations do not just join organisations, they do so only when it is to their strategic interests . . . what is our gain for joining the OIC? Helping us to determine when the full moon is up so we can fast?
Re: Murtala Mohammed by RibaduFan(m): 6:13pm On Sep 01, 2008
@David

That's one of the effects of being subjected to undemocratic and unconstitutional leadership and that's why everyone of us must give our best to ensure that the era of miltary dictatorship is not repeated in the history of our nation.

Imagine OIC membership, what value does that add to us as a nation.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nobody: 6:36pm On Sep 01, 2008
MC Usman:

What do you mean by major christian nations. And you know Nigeria is not a christain nation:-

Côte d'Ivoire If i may understand you.

Religion Year Reported Number of Adherents (Based on 140M. Pop.) [1]

Islam 1999 70,000,000 [b]50%

Christianity 1999 56,000,000 40%

Other 1999 14,000,000 10% [/b]

This is the point where Nigeria1@ is needed with his satellite images.
This may help prove that he is "not" insane like most people think.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 10:26pm On Sep 01, 2008
We are stuck with nations like Niger, Bangladesh, Gaza (that is nothing more than a terrorist training camp), misguided loons like Cameroun, terror-exporting countries like Saudi Arabia and Algeria, unstable entitites like afghanistan and there are idiots here still hailing Murtala Mohammad's unilateral and unpopular decision to force us into the OIC?

Do these people realise we pay millions of dollars as membership fees? That these monies come solely from the christian parts of the country? Serious nations do not just join organisations, they do so only when it is to their strategic interests . . . what is our gain for joining the OIC? Helping us to determine when the full moon is up so we can fast?

My point exactly and his followers will never cease to ignore the facts above. what and what have we gained from the OIC membership apart from losing money to Saudi Arabia?
Re: Murtala Mohammed by RibaduFan(m): 10:36pm On Sep 01, 2008
@deepzone

If we really pay millions for membership of OIC, would suggest we start a movement for the withdrawal of Nigeria from organisation.

Am actually a tread for this. I need at least 5million Nigeria to sign up for the withdrawal, then we would have a case at the National Assembly.

If u re interested in Nigeria's delisting from OIC, pls sign up on my thread
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 10:49pm On Sep 01, 2008
@deepzone

If we really pay millions for membership of OIC, would suggest we start a movement for the withdrawal of Nigeria from organisation.

Am actually a tread for this. I need at least 5million Nigeria to sign up for the withdrawal, then we would have a case at the National Assembly.

If u re interested in Nigeria's delisting from OIC, please sign up on my thread

I'm all for that. Separate the state from religion. If muslims cannot raise enough money to sustain their membership, let them be kicked out afterall God did not charge them that money rather, it's some greedy OIC frat brothers that are reaping from our money and the worst of it all is that the money is from southern Nigeria. So much for Murtala Mohammed. Jfk ko , Roosevelt ni.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Outstrip(f): 11:04pm On Sep 01, 2008
Maybe I am wrong but I thought Murtala Mohammed was from the south but grew up in Kano
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 11:13pm On Sep 01, 2008
Maybe I am wrong but I thought Murtala Mohammed was from the south but grew up in Kano

He's a core northerner. Which kain south?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2013 Christmas In Uyo Pictures. / Atiku Challenges Jonathan To Debate / Breaking: Boko Haram Renames Captured Adamawa Town, Mubi, “madinatul Islam”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.