Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,858 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:19 AM

I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name (4407 Views)

Changing The Name Of A Property You Bought,before You Married Him To His Name? / Pathetic! Real Life Story That Will Re-shape Your Thinking About Life / A Nairalander Bathing A Baby And Changing Diaper(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by JustGood(m): 10:37am On Sep 10, 2008
SeanT21:

Just get yourself an English name like Jessica, Brittney, etc.

I suspected she is white trying to decieve people here. now she don dey confirm my suspicions
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by MrCrackles(m): 10:48am On Sep 10, 2008
Slavery name na big problem for some people ooo! grin
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by Cayon(f): 11:09am On Sep 10, 2008
justbad:

For the record, i do not consider myself white. Halle berry and obama mothers are white with black fathers. Are they white? ( Google one drop of blood ) Anyway, i stop let folks like you upset me. not worth it

Have a blessed day
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by JustGood(m): 12:41pm On Sep 10, 2008
Cayon:

justbad:

For the record, i do not consider myself white. Halle berry and obama mothers are white with black fathers. Are they white? ( Google one drop of blood ) Anyway, i stop let folks like you upset me. not worth it

Have a blessed day

To read sef na problem for you. I call you white?
Go get ya name jare
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by unit(f): 4:08pm On Sep 11, 2008
@justgood,

must u be nasty, her dad is Nigerian so that makes her a Nigerian whether she is coloured or white. Nairalanders sef!

@cayon

we have our ways even though u ain't familiar with them i think u should just accept your brother the way he is n learn to live with him n around his imperfections.Where i come from the best meals are eaten with the bare hands cos the taste of metal can spoil the actually taste of the food.Afterall he is not staying for ever.

Try TINUOLUWA-from within God!
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by Cayon(f): 1:03am On Sep 12, 2008
@unit

Its all good so don't even take on that dude. My avatar, check out a pic of my daughter (at a younger age) and my ex. I know she is going to have a "hard time" like me too. You see how lite she is?. Guess what, she is soo pround to tell people she has Nigerian in her. In fact, you should see her in the mirror always covering her head with a white clothe (if you know what i mean). And now my brother loves her even more.

Justbad seems to be a racist and I don't have time for racists
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by agaba123(m): 1:07am On Sep 12, 2008
Why do people like to introduce a twist into what is straightforward.
So crooked minded. Everything is racism.
She is white so what?
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by Cayon(f): 2:57am On Sep 12, 2008
Femi, Foluke (given by her uncle)

For me - The name came from this thread but I will keep it confidential

Thanks to all
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by English1(f): 1:59pm On Sep 23, 2008
I don't understand.

You say that your last name is a slave name - coming from a white slave owner in your family's past.

Yet your father is Nigerian. Why don't you have his last name already? If you do have a different name from your father, it seems an obvious choice to start using that name.
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by tumfulu: 2:05pm On Sep 23, 2008
pls try, obo ati oko.
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by JustGood(m): 2:32pm On Sep 23, 2008
People who cant read and understand abound on nairaland.

How difficult is it to see that the white reference was to Sean who was suggesting Britney etc to someone in search of an African name?

People, learn to read with understanding
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by SeanT21(f): 3:28pm On Sep 23, 2008
JustGood:

People who can't read and understand abound on nairaland.

How difficult is it to see that the white reference was to Sean who was suggesting Britney etc to someone in search of an African name?

People, learn to read with understanding

LMAO!!!

You are a Joke!!!

I could care less what you think of me. Have a Nice Life!!!!
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by carmelily: 11:44am On Sep 26, 2008
Like i said before my father has wife or wives in Nigeria hence the secret.

Little things like this turn me off from dating a Nigerian

LMAO

I've always wondered why a drop of black blood qualifies someone to be black but a drop of white blood doesn't make anyone white?

Back to topic, what's your father's nigerian name? why can't you simply use that?
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by wanitas(f): 8:46pm On Sep 26, 2008
hmmmmmmmmmm, nairalanders, so imaginative
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by Cayon(f): 12:17pm On Sep 27, 2008
carmelily:

LMAO

I've always wondered why a drop of black blood qualifies someone to be black but a drop of white blood doesn't make anyone white?

Back to topic, what's your father's nigerian name? why can't you simply use that?
Onajobi. My father didn't want my mother to give me his last name. Anyway, i rather not discuss anymore personal matters

Peace
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by carmelily: 9:37am On Oct 02, 2008
@cayon
all the best, anyway. have you picked a new name yet?
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by MeGaStReEt: 6:33pm On Oct 02, 2008
Ese is a very fine Benin/Urhobo name it mins favour or gift

If you need english name choolse Yvette or Clara

Osas, Efe, Ify, Ose, Ehis, Happy, Akpos al these are fine names
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by carmelily: 11:25am On Oct 03, 2008
shocked shocked :oOsas, Akpos, Ehis and happy?? fine names??
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by Cayon(f): 2:02am On Oct 06, 2008
thanks dear
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by Cayon(f): 2:07am On Oct 06, 2008
Meet my nephew

Ekene ajani matthew

smiley smiley kiss kiss kiss grin grin grin

Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by bawomolo(m): 3:27am On Oct 06, 2008
basira, mukaila, rasheeda, amira, monsuratu, sikira. pick your choice grin
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by Nobody: 3:34am On Oct 06, 2008
bawomolo:

basira grin
I don't think she wants to share your name tongue
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by KarmaMod(f): 3:48am On Oct 06, 2008
why not take your father's name? Didnt you say you're half Nigerian?
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by Cayon(f): 12:17pm On Oct 06, 2008
Take my father's name - as in his last name.

It was not given to me, so why should I take it.

I love and respect my father but i don't think there was love b/ween he and my mother.

All that came out of that marriage:

He gave my mother 2 picney whop, whop

He got his BVI citizenship - made him a British citizen for London etc

He is an American citizen

He has a past that only his all african children know about.

However, for some reason it seems that my mother wanted to help him why she married him. I don't know undecided
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by KarmaMod(f): 2:30pm On Oct 06, 2008
If he showed love to you that should be reason enough, dont you think

and I really wish women would stop putting themselves in such pitiful situations and even if they feel like being "nice" by "helping someone out", why must it always involve children

Ugh
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by Cayon(f): 3:37pm On Oct 06, 2008
I can tell u r not a c'bbean ouman. u sould like the kind dat say "yes sah, no sah"
question: So if your husband lov u but is not honest with you - I guess you are cool with that. undecided  undecided  so tell which coutry u from
KarmaMod:

If he showed love to you that should be reason enough, don't you think
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by KarmaMod(f): 5:18pm On Oct 06, 2008
Cayon, just say you didnt get my response instead of trying to yarn dust at me.

You said you didnt take his name because there wasnt real love between him and your mom. My thing is if he at least showed love towards YOU (as his kid) that should be reason enough for you to take his surname. If he however didnt show love for you as well then I agree that you shouldnt take his name

and I'm glad you can tell I'm not Jamaican and no offense, i'D never want to be one. There's a reason why these men dont go to US or Uk born Nigerian females
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by Cayon(f): 6:01pm On Oct 06, 2008
@karmamod:

Re your first sentence - LMAO.

Ok, maybe we both "overstood" each other.

Hope I am clear this time - Let me write slow grin

Even though my father and
mother were married we carry our mother's name

No love lost It's all good. For the record, I am not Jamaican wink I am a British Virgin Islander (BVI) kiss
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by Cayon(f): 3:21am On Oct 07, 2008
a familiar face

Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by Ebonyj(f): 1:01pm On Oct 07, 2008
Hi Canyon,

I only read your first post don't have the patience to go throught the whole thread. If you are really considering changing your name to an African one, here is a website with a list of African names and thier meaning-
http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/afr.php
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 09, 2008
@ poster
i sense your decision to change your name is as a result of wanting your dad's acceptance. i'm not one for playing devil's advocate for fathers who arent there for their children, or are ashamed to present some of their offspring to the world. i can't stand men like that, sorry, no offense intended. if u want to change it cos it's a slave name, that's cool. however if the meaning of the name itself isn't negative, no need getting all hot and bothered, yeah?

the fact that adolf hitler was a mass murderer hasn't stopped people from calling their kids adolf, has it? all i'm saying is, be sure you're doing it for yourself and no one else.

try 'Adanma'. it means 'beautiful first daughter' (all the adanma's i know are beautiful and the name has a nice musical sound)

and ignore your brother. i suspect he did it deliberately to upset you, knowing that you're not used to such. i could say more but i'll zip it here.

do let us know what u choose.
Re: I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name by comoros: 8:09am On Feb 16, 2010
At least, be fair enough to tell us the name you consider a 'slave-name'. It might not be so bad after all. Might be the result of prejudice against the whites otherwise why would you hate the name this much? Share the name and we would be glad to help you make a choice that'll clear the air once and for all.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Help!,how Would I Resurrect My Social Life?. / Read 10 Reasons Why Every Nigerian Woman Should Visit A Strip Club At Least Once / A Love Affair To (not) Remember

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.