Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:51 AM

NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? (12309 Views)

NYSC Is Wasting Our Time With Their Inconsistency / NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? / Is Port Harcourt A Good Place To Do My Nysc? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by waleleader(m): 10:46pm On Jul 03, 2006
Hi peeps,
i maybe doing nysc programme in nigeria soon. i understand that there are two batches, can anyone tell me the start dates/months.

I also understand that foriegn students can choose where they'll like to serve.  Is Kaduna a good place to serve?  Thanks.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by omoonile2: 8:16am On Jul 04, 2006
HEY ME TOO I'M IN D UK, I WAS THINKING ABOUT NYSC, WHERE DO U APPLY FOR IT, KADUNA IS A NORTHERN STATE AS FAR AS I KNOW, WHY DONT U CHOOSE LAGOS,
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by waleleader(m): 8:45am On Jul 04, 2006
cheers brov, i wanna try other parts of Nigeria especially the North. a friend tells me that Kaduna is a bit liberal and developed just like Lagos and Abuja. Even if its not as good, i am up for the adventure.
the main thing is to know when to start the program.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by alheri(f): 8:51am On Jul 04, 2006
@walelead, KAYDEE is a nice town especially for service. If its a career you want, you'll get it there, if its fun, Kaydee has alot of fun spots too. I could hook you up, depending on your discipline. Though I dont stay in Kaduna now, thats my state of origin so I have alot of contacts there.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by temitwice(m): 10:35am On Jul 04, 2006
Pls some1 shd answer d pther part of the questn, when will d batch b out, d list
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by mutiu78(m): 11:13am On Jul 04, 2006
Either Kaduna or any other state is good for NYSC, it all depends on ur perspective. I had mine @ Sokoto and it was all fun and challenging.

The new batch will resume by September 2006 while the current serving will leave by August 2006 and those that resumed in March will leave by next yr Feb,
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by funloving(m): 3:05pm On Jul 04, 2006
Two batches in a Year:
Batch A : Feb/ March
Batch B : Aug/ Sept:

Kaduna is a nice place to serve. I did mine in Zaria and it remains till date the best phase of my life. It was fun all the way.
By the way, Zaria is a major town in Kaduna State, where you have Ahmadu Bello Uinvirsity (ABU)
Like somebody said, it depends on your perspective. Anywhere is good for service.That is what NYSC is all about. It is not for aquiring wealth but just one year of your life to experience something and some place that you may never experience again.

Moreover opportunities can still come your way. I got my job (one of those well paying jobs) back in Nigeria through a fellow cooper who saw the advert in the papers.
Maybe I would have missed that advert if I hadn't served in Zaria.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by sammiek1(m): 7:20pm On Jul 04, 2006
try serving in Jos. It is avery interesting town. It is also christian dominated. You will catch loads of fun there.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by kellybaba(m): 8:05pm On Jul 04, 2006
Meeeen ! 4get it !
Kaduna(kaydee) is d Place to b.
I spent the months of April and May there and it was f-u-n !
Although,it was for official duties,i still had time to xplore d 'crocodile city'.

Its so liberal that u wont know ur in the North !

I love Kd,abeg
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by seunfolake(f): 3:59am On Jul 05, 2006
yes ,i will say kaduna is a good place to serve,though i did mine in Niger state and it was an unforgetable experience.i've spent a week in kaduna,it develop like lagos in fact the ratio of xtians there 60/40 .i think it is the most develop northern state in Nigeria.most importantly,when it comes to Nysc ,u can serve in any part of Nigeria,evritin depends on you.its challenging!i must confess,it now depend on how u respond to it,what are u seeing?just have the right attitude towards the service.see the positive and respond +ve.wish u all d best.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by shango(m): 4:34am On Jul 05, 2006
I was born in Kaduna and lived there till I was fourteen. It is not 60/40 Christian and it is hardly developed compared to Lagos. Just because you spent 2 or 3 years serving ofcourse you would see only the developed areas. We lived in a GRA but other areas where extremely underdeveloped. I am glad we left and my dad moved to his homestate lagos because there was always the looming prospect of Sharia law.

Jos is way more interesting I think. Nice cool weather and way more balanced ethnic wise. Fulanis and Hausas aint the friendliest Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by giddy(m): 9:35am On Jul 05, 2006
Why not give JOS a shout!
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by zarah(f): 12:43pm On Jul 05, 2006
Jos is way more interesting I think. Nice cool weather and way more balanced ethnic wise. Fulanis and Hausas aint the friendliest Nigerians

so who is in jos?
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by abioye(m): 12:52pm On Jul 05, 2006
Kaduna is called crocodile city, the heart of the North and developed. Kaduna is the capital of Northern State apart from Abuja.

I was born in Kaduna 35 yrs ago and did all my schooling there. Right from my Primary to university Leve. ABU, Zaria, and i'm working presently in Kaduna. Walelead, come to Kaduna for ur NYSC u will surely enjoy the town. If Kaduna is not good i would have relocated long time ago. My parents & my other brothers and sisters still live in Kaduna.

Shango is giving u a wrong perspective about Kaduna. Follow ur heart and do what ur heart tells u to do.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by ishmael(m): 1:40pm On Jul 05, 2006
Shango, which G.R.A. did u live in kaduna? Stop giving people wrong impression about Kaduna. As everyone knows kaduna is the most developed city in northern nigeria, that was why Lord Lugard chose it as the capital then. Kaduna is a cosmopolitan city just like lagos and portharcourt, but up north. I have lived in Lagos and portharcourt in the south and can only live in kaduna and abuja in the north cos these are the only cities in the north that can be compared with lagos and PH. Dont try to compare Jos with Kaduna. I have worked in Jos before. Jos is only a Town and not a city. Jos can only be compared with a place like Zaria. Kaduna is a city. Wale if u want to catch the fun u get in the south up north just come to kaduna and you will be glad u came. As for sharia, Shango there is no sharia in kaduna. It can never hold becos of the cosmopolitan nature of the state. Infact we have more xtains in the state than moslems, although politically the moslems play their cards well and get control of the state. My brother there is a place like Lagos and PH up-north, that is kada city.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by lamien(f): 7:09pm On Jul 05, 2006
kaduna is actually a wonderful place to serve right now am serving in zaria and it's been a wonderful experience
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by funloving(m): 10:41pm On Jul 05, 2006
lamien:

kaduna is actually a wonderful place to serve right now am serving in zaria and it's been a wonderful experience

Where in Zaria are you serving ?
I served in Zaria as well
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by shango(m): 5:31am On Jul 06, 2006
Kaduna city is more developed than Jos but not Lagos. However I prefer Jos to Kaduna city. And Lagos is certainly more developed and metropolitan than Kaduna city. Ofcourse Kaduna city is more mixed than the rest of Kaduna. I did not even know you where talking about the city and not the state. If you are going to serve sure, go to Kaduna CITY. It is not as diverse as Lagos or other southern cities but it is way more diverse than the rest of Kaduna. We did not live in the city, like I said we lived in a GRA.

And Kaduna city doesnt have more Christians than Moslems, now that is a lie. There is no city in the north that has a majority population that is not Moslem or Hausa/Fulani.

And Lord Lugard did not setup his chambers in Kaduna because it was the most developed city in Northern Nigeria. There where other cities in Sokoto and Kano and Katsina (arguably the LARGEST state before colonial rule) for instance that even surpassed it in certain areas. Lugard was a bussiness man first and how he and other colonialists setup countries like Nigeria and other colonies was done simply for their advantage. There are reasons every colonial African country established has power concentrated within certain tribes and ethnicities. And you should not be proud that scoundrels like him and King Leopold setup shop in your cities. Lugard, like slave raiders before him and slave raiders after him saw the continent as a means of hoarding wealth for their respective empires and economies. He setup shop in Kadua because it was one of the first to fall under his rule, Sokoto and Kano put up fights with his bullshit though they eventually fell. Being the city where he setup shop should not make its residents proud AT ALL.

In either case the threat of Sharia law is ever present and ever looming. We has alot of good times in my 14 years there. But we eventually left due to such uncertanties.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by ishmael(m): 9:58am On Jul 06, 2006
Shango, pls we were talking about and still talking about kaduna, the capital of kaduna state. Jos is not a state, but a state capital, Badagry is in lagos state and not Lagos, PH is the capital of Rivers state. So if u're talking about PH it has nothing to do with towns like Bonny island, Okrika and Abonnema. PH is the state capital. Pls take note of that, we are being specific now. It is kaduna and not kaduna state. Shango I'm still in doubt if you, ve ever lived in kaduna b4. Which G.R.A. did u live? Where and where do we have xtains most in kaduna? And where and where do we have moslems most in kaduna?

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by henryphyol(m): 11:44am On Jul 06, 2006
I have never been to kaduna but i will advice you do not try to serve in that part of the country because of religious riots even the so call fun lovers will sell you out so many corps members died during the riots and families that called KD home were forced to leave the city please dont serve there period,
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by alheri(f): 12:18pm On Jul 06, 2006
Look I understand everybody's emotions on this Kaduna issue, but lets all chill for awhile. Shango you seem to have had some really bad experiences with Kaduna and I can understand that. But truth be told, Kaydee of not that bad, haba! Like ishmeal, I am also beginning to wander if you actually lived in kaduna. You keep saying G.R.A, which GRA? There is nowhere like GRA in kaduna. And what do you mean by kaduna city? If you say I stayed in Malali GRA or Barnawa GRA, i will understand.So which GRA are you talking about becos there is nothing or nowhere like GRA in Kaydee, abi Ishmeal? You sound like you know alot about the town, but you dont sound like you actually lived there.

Kaydee is ok and like I said, I can hook anyone up if they want to serve there.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by ishmael(m): 1:33pm On Jul 06, 2006
henryphyol, i disagree with you completely. there is no where in nigeria 2day that is free of crises either religious, political or ethnic. Infact we, ve had more crises in Lagos than any other part of nigeria. Is it becos people dont so much emphasize on it? Even last month there was crises in Lagos; and nothing has happened in kaduna for years now. So what are u talking about? People are being killed in Lagos everyday, we know that very well. Alheri pls help me ask shango to tell you the G.R.A. he lived in kaduna. Na him know where dem dey call G.R.A. alone oo.Since i dey KD i never hear that name before. All i know about is Malali G.R.A., Barnawa G.R.A., Angwar Rimi G.R.A., Angwar sarki G.R.A., Makera G.R.A. in kakuri. So help me ask him the G.R.A. he lived in kaduna.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by Rhea(f): 2:15pm On Jul 06, 2006
Unless you have a specific reason to serve in Kaduna, I suggest you choose Abuja. It seems to be a popular choice for overseas graduates who choose to return home for their NYSC.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by henryphyol(m): 4:19pm On Jul 06, 2006
Ishmael yes you can disagree with me no problem but the truth must be said the crisis like you said in Lagos do not escalate in to what it might have been if it were in the North. If there is any problem just 2hrs it would become a religious crisis even those from other parts of the country that share the same faith with the so called fanatics are killed. There are crisis in lagos how many people died and we didnt even know who was fighting against who, but a cartoon in Denmark people killed in the Northern parts of Nigeria! please Ishmeal lets call a spade a spade ,Northern parts of Nigeria is a very volatile area that is unpredictable, My dad currently is in Kano, i had my formative years in the North so i know what am saying,
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by ishmael(m): 7:28pm On Jul 06, 2006
Henryphyol, is kaduna the same thing as kano? When people were killed in the north becos of Denmark cartoon, did you hear that any one was killed in kaduna? My guy you should find out about things in details before you comment on them. Kaduna has been relatively peaceful for more than 2 yrs now; but i bet you 2day in Lagos area boys and police or OPC will have a clash and people must die. It happens in Lagos everyday. You are only lucky not to have been a victim of such clashes. May God help us.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by shango(m): 3:21am On Jul 07, 2006
please do not try to insinuate I have never lived in Kaduna. PLEASE. I WAS BORN THERE! I lived on Dan Buran Road, and I attended Sacred Heart Elementary School. My birth certificate and passport say as much. YOU WANT ME TO SCAN IT FOR YOU?

Look, You can continue portraying Kaduna as a peaceful place and compare religious executions and killings to police brutality, the fact is police brutality happens all accross Nigeria, Sharia law doesnt. There was a time Fulas and Hausas practiced Islam without such nonsense. Now you have long periods of peace and once in a while explosions of violence. I never said the Dutch cartoons propmpted violence in Kaduna, but if it can happen in Kano and Sokoto, it can certainly happen in Kaduna, so let us not kid ourselves.

I had a wonderful time in Kaduna because my parents shielded me from the going ons and politics. I was a kid. Such things where obviously not on our mind. We lived good and partied all the time. We went to the Polo Club, alot of parties and entertainment was there. So no I did not have a bad experience while there, because I was shielded from it. But there was a reason both my parents packed up and left eventually and why our relatives hardly visited us there. One of my closest friends while there, his father was Hausa and his mother was half-cast christian, they eventually followed us to lagos.

And there are GRA's in Kaduna. Perhaps you city guys never knew of where the british lived while we where under colonial rule. Kaduna has plenty of GRAs which are really suburban areas. I am beggining to question if any of you guys have even BEEN to Nigeria much less lived there.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by ishmael(m): 8:14am On Jul 07, 2006
Shango, point of correction Kaduna is not a sharia state, even before 1999 the moslems had sharia courts to try cases based on islamic religion for muslims who wish o! (Penal code).Can a sharia state house giant Breweries? Impossible!!, becos in a sharia land drinking of alcohol is prohibited. Kaduna has 2 giant Breweries which i know you dont know. Stop insinuating that kaduna is a sharia state. Its not true. You were even talking about Jos as being better in the north; have u forgotten the number of times people were killed in Jos and plateau state at large, and the declaration of state of emergency? Pls get facts and figures before you talk. Every part of the country is now volatile and prune to crisis becos of one reason or another.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by waleleader(m): 9:56am On Jul 07, 2006
i really appreciate the passion y'all put into this thread.

i think its time i did a tour of Nigeria starting from Kaduna then Jos. Thanks again folks.
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by BMusa1(m): 11:19am On Jul 07, 2006
Word up, new in da block and saw the topic with a view to contribute. KD is but a nice place to be. Highly a commercial town and things are cheap. Would be surprised to find the place interesting esp when you find yourself within the city centre. There r two batches for the service year; Batch B will be starting Orientation on Sept. 5th or so and the next batch will be due in March. Cheers
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by bisisexy(f): 7:09pm On Jul 07, 2006
am serving in kaduna,i find it boring,how can one say she wants to work for one year earning nothing,if u find it interestingf there let me know u
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by ishmael(m): 7:16pm On Jul 07, 2006
bisisexy, you.re probably not in the right place. Where are you doing your primary assignment? You may be one of those unlucky corpers. Kpele oo!!
Re: NYSC: Is Kaduna A Good Place To Serve? by Nobody: 12:30am On Jul 08, 2006
Well if you plan on going to Kaduna,make sure you keep a loaded pistol or razor sharp machete handy,you never know the mood of those hooligans after a friday prayer.

Don't be caught unawares.

(1) (2) (Reply)

# / Kano Batch A Let's Meet Here / A Lifetime Opportunity For Everyone To Be Self Employed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.