Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,816 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge (2696 Views)

How Can Nigeria Produce An Ibo President? / If The Tribal Game Continues - We Might Never Have An Ibo President. / President-Elect To Emerge Today-Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by bilymuse: 7:19pm On Sep 08, 2008
[size=15pt]32 years for an Ibo president[/size]

Nigeria is effectively a one party state , with PDP in cruise control. The probability of any party defeating the ruling PDP is slim. 

According to PDP power sharing formular the state Governor is to rotate among the 3 senatorial district while  the presidency is to rotate among the  3 major region , and this has already started with the west producing  8 years Obj rule. Based on this arrangement we could extrapolate into the future thus:

West  (Obj)          -  8 years
North (Yaradua)   -  8yrs
East (Goodluck ?) -  8 years

the circle starts all over again:
West            -  8yrs
North           -   8 years
East (Ibo?)   -  8yrs

Based on the above calculation and PDP rotational presidency, if an Ibo person does not succeed Yaradua , Assuming he last 8 years, it would take 32 years for an Ibo president to emerge. Though there is no guarantee that the arrangement will hold; a crazy army officer could torpedo it.

So far the arrangement  seems to be holding. Last week there were filters from the north that even if Yaradua should die, they are going to see out their 8 years tenure.

when would it be the turn of the Ibo's?  32 years?
I stand to be corrected

Ikpe mara eziokwu na aka azu diya
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by Ibime(m): 7:23pm On Sep 08, 2008
hmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . . forget all this WAZOBIA mentality. . . , why must presidency be rotated? . . . it encourages culture of chopping cos everyone wants to grab the most for their tribe whenever they sniff power. . . .
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by RibaduFan(m): 7:25pm On Sep 08, 2008
@poster

what was that thing u wrote in Ibo, hope u didnt just declare another civil war, abeg o
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by McKren(m): 7:32pm On Sep 08, 2008
Power sharing arrangement is the only sensible thing that has come out of PDP so far.

I dont think anybody in the East is bothered whether it takes 100years, what we are more concerned is to hold our Governors to work for the people.

The IBBs and co who have been Presidents for so long does not mean Niger State is far better than any other state in Naija.

But surely Presidency will get to the south east someday.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by bigboyslim(m): 3:17am On Sep 09, 2008
I bind all the biafranic spirits on this forum
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by tpia: 3:46am On Sep 09, 2008
sebi Goodluck is Ibo, so whats the problem.

He's Ijaw-Ibo, by his own definition.

I personally don't have a problem with an Igbo president, as long as the person is either half some other tribe or else married to some other tribe for more than twenty years.

Just my opinion.

Delta Ibo would also fit the bill, as well.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 09, 2008
tpia:

I personally don't have a problem with an Igbo president, as long as the person is either half some other tribe or else married to some other tribe for more than twenty years.

Just my opinion.

Ridiculous
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by DeepZone: 6:52am On Sep 09, 2008

Just my opinion.

Why such conditions? Did you stipulate such rules for the North too? Why must the south east present a candidate that married from another tribe? Is there anything am not getting here? That's a weird opinion!!
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by Scopium: 8:11am On Sep 09, 2008
Ibime:

hmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . . forget all this WAZOBIA mentality. . . , why must presidency be rotated? . . . it encourages culture of chopping because everyone wants to grab the most for their tribe whenever they sniff power. . . .

[size=13pt]How is it supposed to be done? Is it best for one set of people to do all the grabbing thingy forever?[/size]
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by oziomatv(m): 8:51am On Sep 09, 2008
tpia:

Just my opinion.

I conquered it in Jesus name for a Zionist to mix his precious Blood with an unclean Blood just to be a mare President of a Retard Country, We better wait for Biafra's dream to come true then we can match to the Zion with songs of Praise.

DREAM ON.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by DeepZone: 9:08am On Sep 09, 2008
I conquered it in Jesus name for a [b]Zionist to mix his precious Blood with an unclean Blood [/b]just to be a mare President of a Retard Country, We better wait for Biafra's dream to come true then we can match to the Zion with songs of Praise.

DREAM ON.

Your own comment is even worse than his/hers. who and who have unclean blood in Nigeria? Much as i think his/her comment is weird and uncalled for, i think yours should fall in the same category.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by Scopium: 9:35am On Sep 09, 2008
oziomatv:

I conquered it in Jesus name for a Zionist to mix his precious Blood with an unclean Blood just to be a mare President of a Retard Country, We better wait for Biafra's dream to come true then we can match to the Zion with songs of Praise.

DREAM ON.

[size=13pt]What do you mean by that? I just want to know undecided[/size]
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by DeepZone: 9:56am On Sep 09, 2008
"Interesting" comments so far. embarassed
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by McKren(m): 10:01am On Sep 09, 2008
Nigeria is in trouble

The way the youths of this country think tells you we are probably living over a gun powder waiting to explode someday??

What does having to be half igbo or married to someone who is'nt Igbo mean not sure where that argument comes from?
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by DeepZone: 10:16am On Sep 09, 2008
Nigeria is in trouble

The way the youths of this country think tells you we are probably living over a gun powder waiting to explode someday?Huh?

What does having to be half igbo or married to someone who is'nt Igbo mean?Huh?? not sure where that argument comes from?Huh

I agree with you, that's why i strongly believe that Nigeria will soon have no choice but to disintegrate. This DisUnited Kingdom called Nigeria is a temporal arrangement. The North will soon bail on us.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by oziomatv(m): 10:40am On Sep 09, 2008
DeepZone:

Your own comment is even worse than his/hers. who and who have unclean blood in Nigeria? Much as i think his/her comment is weird and uncalled for, i think yours should fall in the same category.
She/he asked for it, I'm not withdrawing my comment.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by Arnold1(m): 1:31pm On Sep 09, 2008
DeepZone:

I agree with you, that's why i strongly believe that Nigeria will soon have no choice but to disintegrate. This DisUnited Kingdom called Nigeria is a temporal arrangement. The North will soon bail on us.

Once there is no more oil and gas in southern Nigeria, then the country will disintegrate.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by grafikdon: 1:55pm On Sep 09, 2008
[/quote][quote author=tpia link=topic=169059.msg2773571#msg2773571 date=1220928407]

Just my opinion.

Coming from you, this is pretty much a big shock. This opinion is very bizarre to say the least.
Just like other posters, I probably didn't get the picture.

NOBODY should be posting about their approval/disapproval of a president based on his ethnic background. What's more important? Someone who will upgrade Nigeria from 20th world to 2nd world (1st world is asking too much for now), or an Igbo man married to Ijaw woman with Efik grandmother and Yoruba great great grand father?

And I thought only Madam "Naked" Ekaette and her imbecilic groupies in Ass* Rock. . . I mean Aso Rock are chasing shadows, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by tpia: 3:09pm On Sep 09, 2008
DeepZone:

Why such conditions? Did you stipulate such rules for the North too? Why must the south east present a candidate that married from another tribe? Is there anything am not getting here? That's a weird opinion!!

What's wrong with the president being related to a different tribe, or being married to someone from a different tribe?  How is that strange, when many Nigerian first ladies have been a different tribe from their husbands? I wonder at the hullabaloo here. OBJ himself is rumored to be half Igbo.

Nigeria needs more tribal integration, like it or not. Even if the country breaks up, the different tribes still need to mix in order to erase the closeminded mindset. Obama is half-white half-black. I don't see anyone complaining about it.

Open a thread about the ideal northern preseident and I'll post my views there. This topic is about an Igbo president.

oziomatv:

DREAM ON.

Because of unrepentant, narrowminded and delusional tribalists like you, the country definitely needs an Igbo president who can relate to other tribes, and who other tribes can relate to without reservation. Anyone with your mindset is surely a no no.

oziomatv:

She/he asked for it, I'm not withdrawing my comment.

please don't withdraw your comment.  Your own brand of tribalism is the destructive and retrogressive kind- everybody knows that.

DeepZone:

Whether they disintegrate or not, Nigerians need to learn how to get along with others in their vicinity. We don't have to be white to be able to do that, and neither should it take a jihad to force people to cooperate with each other.

One reason why the British respected the north more than the south in colonial times is because they (the north) presented a unified government, thanks to Usman dan Fodio's jihad which united them, and it wasnt as much of a headache to govern them as long as their religion wasnt messed with. Like it or not. The south, on the other hand, consisted of various mini-states too many to mention, all declaring themselves autonomous in their own right.

McKren:

Nigeria is in trouble

The way the youths of this country think tells you we are probably living over a gun powder waiting to explode someday??

What does having to be half igbo or married to someone who is'nt Igbo mean not sure where that argument comes from?

What's difficult to understand about someone being half-Igbo or married to a non-Igbo? It's never happened before?

If my use of Igbo is what's causing all this panic, then understand that I'D have the same requirements for my own ideal Nigerian president regardless of tribe. Dont know why folks are getting high blood pressure over someone mentioning tribal intermarriage.

grafikdon:

Coming from you, this is pretty much a big shock. This opinion is very bizarre to say the least.
Just like other posters, I probably didn't get the picture.

NOBODY should be posting about their approval/disapproval of a president based on his ethnic background. What's more important? Someone who will upgrade Nigeria from 20th world to 2nd world (1st world is asking too much for now), or an Igbo man married to Ijaw woman with Efik grandmother and Yoruba great great grand father?

And I thought only Madam "Naked" Ekaette and her imbecilic groupies in Ass* Rock. . . I mean Aso Rock are chasing shadows, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

The thread is about an Igbo president, so the topic itself is based on ethnicity.

Nothing wrong with the bolded either. People need to integrate.

I must say I'm also surprised at your post. Maybe you'd be more comfortable if I joined other people and insisted there can never be an Igbo president.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by bawomolo(m): 3:13pm On Sep 09, 2008
If my use of Igbo is what's causing all this panic, then understand that I'D have the same requirements for my own ideal Nigerian president regardless of tribe. Dont know why folks are getting high blood pressure over someone mentioning tribal intermarriage.

the question isn't exogamy, the question is why tribal intermarriage should be considered a basis for being a president. the married for at least 20yrs requirement was even more atrocious. a better choice would be someone with a patrice lumumba like nationalist character. not that i was a fan of lumumba's conservative views by the way.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by tpia: 3:13pm On Sep 09, 2008
I forgot to mention: the Igbo president can also be female.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by tpia: 3:17pm On Sep 09, 2008
bawomolo:

the question isn't exogamy, the question is why tribal intermarriage should be considered a basis for being a president. the married for at least 20yrs requirement was even more atrocious. a better choice would be someone with a patrice lumumba like nationalist character. not that i was a fan of lumumba's conservative views by the way.

geez, am I the one choosing a president? Take a chill pill abeg.

What's wrong with a 20 year marriage requirement? How many US presidents have been married less than fifteen to twenty years? Barring Obama and some other few.

Someone who has been able to keep a monogamous marriage going for twenty or more years, shows a stability of character and I'D vote for him/her anyday. If the spouse is from a different tribe whether either of them is Igbo or not, they'D have my highest respect because it shows they've overcome this tribal mentality and are more likely to be non-discriminatory.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by Queenisha: 3:35pm On Sep 09, 2008
Igbo president my bakassi.
Does producing a president help any ethnic group really.
OBJ ruled for 8 years,is the plight of the average Yoruba man, woman or youth any better?
Awusa people have been ruling from time Imo river, are they not still the most backward and most disease ridden bunch in Naija.
I don't care where the president comes from as long as he improves the lot of the masses, and vows to be be fair and keeps Nigeria a secular state with strong handed punishment for militants and Islamists
The governors in Igboland come from Igboland, have they helped Igboland or have they succeded in lining their individul pockets like their counterparts in Kano and Oyo?
This sort of thread is getting retarded
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by Queenisha: 3:38pm On Sep 09, 2008
tpia:

I forgot to mention: the Igbo president can also be female.

Here am I, send me grin
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by grafikdon: 3:50pm On Sep 09, 2008
Queenisha:

OBJ ruled for 8 years,is the plight of the average Yoruba man, woman or youth any better?
Awusa people have been ruling from time Imo river, are they not still the most backward and most disease ridden bunch in Naija.
I don't care where the president comes from as long as he improves the lot of the masses, and vows to be be fair and keeps Nigeria a secular state with strong handed punishment for militants and Islamists
The governors in Igboland come from Igboland, have they helped Igboland or have they succeded in lining their individul pockets like their counterparts in Kano and Oyo?

GBAM!!! I don't care if it is Nkachukwu the husband of Ebi and the son of Abeni neither do I care if it is Alhaji Tuwoshinkafa Janta Jabul. . . I just want somebody with unfeigned determination to make a huge difference in this abomination called Nigeria.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by grafikdon: 4:03pm On Sep 09, 2008
@Tpia, there's nowhere in my post that I preached against integration. Well, now that you've shed more light on your post, it's understandable. However, marrying from another ethnic group is not an antidote to ethnic bigotry, I know of an Igbo man married to an Efik woman and he loves the Hausa the way Osama Bin laden loves new York. I can give you more instances but I think you get the picture I am trying to paint here.

I do get your point though. You believe a person married outside of his/her ethnic group has obviously risen above the shackles of ethnic bigotry, but like I said before, it is not always the case.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by darfur(m): 4:41pm On Sep 09, 2008
long term inter ethnic marriage is a good sign of ethnic integration. i will vote the person(if he is good politically, and more importantly, if my vote will even count)
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by oziomatv(m): 5:36pm On Sep 09, 2008
tpia:

Because of unrepentant, narrowminded and delusional tribalists like you, the country definitely needs an Igbo president who can relate to other tribes, and who other tribes can relate to without reservation. Anyone with your mindset is surely a no no.

please don't withdraw your comment. Your own brand of tribalism is the destructive and retrogressive kind- everybody knows that.

Is that all your insulting dictionary can provide to qualify me? Listen Never and ever you get your dirty hands 100meters closer to any of Igbo decent for marriage if that is all your plan.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by Uche2nna(m): 5:43pm On Sep 09, 2008
Queenisha:

That is as good as ti gets.

Especially the fact about Gov in Igboland comig from the state. Heck, even my local govt chairman is from my own village. What does that mean to my grandmum and other women of the LGA. Nada!!!!

I could care less if the governor is a nephew of Uthman dan fodio or my local govt chairman is Awolowo's long lost son as long as they are doing the job
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by Tats(m): 5:44pm On Sep 09, 2008
I am really worried about the mindset of many people in the current generation of Nigerians. I thought that this nonsense called tribal sentiments should be off our radars now. It appears that we still have people that would not see it out of their minds in their lifetime. Would you rather have someone from your tribe that makes no impact as a Leader or have someone from another tribe that makes positive impact on the lives of the Nigerian people?
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by DeepZone: 6:06pm On Sep 09, 2008

What's wrong with the president being related to a different tribe, or being married to someone from a different tribe? How is that strange, when many Nigerian first ladies have been a different tribe from their husbands? I wonder at the hullabaloo here. OBJ himself is rumored to be half Igbo.

Nigeria needs more tribal integration, like it or not. Even if the country breaks up, the different tribes still need to mix in order to erase the closeminded mindset. Obama is half-white half-black. I don't see anyone complaining about it.

Open a thread about the ideal northern preseident and I'll post my views there. This topic is about an Igbo president.

There is nothing wrong with it. What was wrong with the comment is stipulating the the president MUST be married to a non ibo woman to be considered when other tribes did not get such stipulations. As for me, I see the Nigerian presidency as an honorary and personal money making venture and do not care where he/she comes from because they don't have anything positive to contribute to the welfare of their people.

As for people saying the ibo presidency should be due in 32 yrs, do not forget the North has three geo political zones and only one zone has ruled. I suggest the reduce their tenure to 4 years each so that the rotation can go round in 24 years.
Re: 32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge by bawomolo(m): 6:20pm On Sep 09, 2008
geez, am I the one choosing a president? Take a chill pill abeg

no need to get defensive

What's wrong with a 20 year marriage requirement? How many US presidents have been married less than fifteen to twenty years? Barring Obama and some other few.

i doubt mccain has been married to his current wife for more than 20yrs(i may be wrong).   your are just adding irrelevants requirements to the job of president.  

Someone who has been able to keep a monogamous marriage going for twenty or more years, shows a stability of character and I'D vote for him/her anyday.

guys like franklin roosevelt and JFK were cheats and they sure didn't make bad presidents so i really don't see how one's marital status makes a difference in the choice of president.  again, what's your definition of stability of character??

they'D have my highest respect because it shows they've overcome this tribal mentality and are more likely to be non-discriminatory.

i believe muritala mohammed had a wife from another tribe, that didn't change his pro-northern stance.  intertribal marriages would improve relations among ethnic group but it doesn't mean a thing when it comes to the presidency. why don't u just go ahead and suggest u want a president whose wife is from a different religion.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Latest Global Ranking / Eleweomo Killed? / The Real APC Executive posts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.