Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,313 members, 7,780,761 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:26 PM

Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil (5757 Views)

Super Clean Super Charged Nissan Murano With Gear Issue 950k / Very Very Clean Registered Nissan Murano With Gear Issue For 950k 08097930879 / Honda Halla Engine With Gear Box (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil by mbembe: 9:29am On Sep 09, 2008
Dear Nairalanders. Water from the Radiator is Mixing up with Gear Box (ATF) Oil in my car (Benz E Class). I was asked to replace the radiator which I did. Flushed the Gear Box and Converter, then poured in New ATF oil, but the problem persisted. What can possibly be wrong here. All advice and suggestions will be welcomed.
Re: Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil by Nobody: 9:44am On Sep 09, 2008
The only way water can mix with ATF in your car, is via a faulty ATF cooler.

Some ATF coolers are integrated in the main radiator.
Some are remote coolers.

I'd make absolutely certain the cooler was replaced, and not with a used, but new one.
And, it's also imperative the system is flushed thoroughly with an appropriate ATF flushing agent.

Under no account shoud you continue to drive the car with water ingress, as the valve body will be destrooyed in a very short time.
I'm surprised the auto box still changes gear.
Re: Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil by mbembe: 10:22am On Sep 09, 2008
Sienna, thanks for the response. I just contacted my mechanic now to tell him your suggestion but he told me that, only Japanese do come with that JTF Cooler. This leaves me more confused. My Car is Benz E Class and to be candid I do not know much about automobiles but just admire the car because it is very rugged and reliable. Do Benz come with ATF Cooler. If yes, what is the position of the ATF Cooler in the car. Your response will be highly appreciated.
Re: Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil by Nobody: 10:48am On Sep 09, 2008
Mbembe, please supply me with the following:

1) Exact model year
2) Exact model
3) Engine type / size

The oil cooler for all may differ, I need to pinpoint exactly what type you have.
Re: Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil by adeyemik: 11:51am On Sep 09, 2008
Siena,

I will like to know how good is Mitsubishi Galant 2000 and 2002 model.

Thanks.
Re: Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil by Nobody: 12:47pm On Sep 09, 2008
adeyemik:

Siena,

I will like to know how good is Mitsubishi Galant 2000 and 2002 model.

Thanks.

Ade, lots of info on your model here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant

Typically Japanese reliability.

All depends on the spec you go for though - AWD V6 turbo models will require more maintenance than a FWD I4.
Re: Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil by chusben(m): 4:17pm On Sep 09, 2008
siena, i see u as automobile/car doctor. pls. can you advice me on nissan super saloon 1999 model with manual stiring because i have one i intend buying soonest.
Re: Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil by sultaan(m): 6:16pm On Sep 09, 2008
There should be no reason to have water in the transmission unless one of the following condition applies;
Didi you bought the car in the last 1-2 years from the US, or did you get stuck in high water recently.
That is Katrina salvage or you got water in your transmission through the vent hole(hope I'm right )
If your mechanic droped the pan to change fluid, he still needs to flush the line and torque converter.
You might want to put a dye in your coolant to confirm if its from your cooling systm or your car had too much to drink from a big pothole.
Re: Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil by Ivvie: 9:05am On Sep 28, 2008
`
Re: Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil by yodee: 10:05pm On Oct 02, 2008
siena and ivvie i must say i respect u guys. seems like u always have the ryt answers to evry issue. pls i need ur advice. i plan to buy a honda accord ex 2004 model but my peeps says must of them have transmission problems but narrowed it down to the v6 engine. is dis true? if so is the 4 cylinder a better option.?, Thank you
Re: Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil by sultaan(m): 12:28pm On Oct 03, 2008
Accord V6 problem was fiexed in the 2004 model so you are good to go, just make sure the have serviced it at scheduled interval.If you don't know what I mean, get a 4 cyl with a manual transmission.Good for starters.
Re: Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil by Ivvie: 8:26pm On Oct 03, 2008
`
Re: Water Mixing With Gear Box Oil by rock101(m): 8:43pm On Oct 03, 2008
I don't know so much about cars like Siena and the likes but I do know that some cars with automatic transmission have their ATF passing thru the radiator to cool it. I had a similar problem with a '94 Benz C280, engine oil was mixing with the water in the radiator. I tried changing the gasket, that ddnt work, I tried changin the cylinder head, that ddnt work either. After spendin so much money on the cylinder head, I tried changin the coolant as the last resort, that worked. The cylinder head (which wasnt the problem) I changed costs abt 8 times as much as the coolant.

Most of these mechanics dont know so much abt cars, I ddnt the research on my own before I told him to change the coolant, the mechanic suggested gasket and cylinder head. I suggested the coolant.

just thot this might help someone

@ Siena

do u kno anythin like a carpet or tarpet machine in the engine of a car?

(1) (Reply)

Nissan Maxima 2003 / Super Clean Daewoo Espero 96 Fulloption 270k 08061311315 08028612026 / Super Clean Toyota Corolla 2005 In Perfect Condition 1.250k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.