Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:43 PM

Top Romantic Movies - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Top Romantic Movies (6445 Views)

What Are Your Top Three Best Romantic Movies Till Date? / Romantic Movies / Whats Your Top 20 Romantic Movies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 3:56pm On Sep 09, 2008
Sob, swoon, lap it up. . . . .
When you're down or broken-hearted, or just looking for a romantic evening in with your loved one, which movie do you turn to for a good weep?

Amélie (2001)
Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet

This is a divine love story from one of the world's most original and highly respected directors. The young Amélie overcomes her painful shyness and her parents' nuttiness to search out love. It's hilarious, heart-rending and just - ooh - gorgeous!

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:06pm On Sep 09, 2008
Dr Zhivago (1965)
Director: David Lean

Lean's epic story set in Russia is not only a fascinating depiction of the Bolshevik revolution but is at the same time a heart-rendering love story. Starring Omar Sharif as the tortured Dr Zhivago and Julie Christie as his life-long true love, this is as complicated a love story as it gets. Take the phone off the hook, gather supplies of your choice and settle in for at least three hours of pure girlie pleasure.

I think there was a re-make of this with Keira Knightley?

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:07pm On Sep 09, 2008
Breakfast At Tiffany's (1961)
Director: Blake Edwards

Romance, yes – but not like you'd expect. Audrey Hepburn's iconic Holly Golightly is rather an unlikely romantic heroine. A keen party animal and socialite, Holly doesn't have the time or inclination for romance (even in the form of the lovely George Peppard). But it looks like her hard exterior is actually a cover for a life more ordinary that she has tried to escape from. Will the ultimate party girl let love into her life? Funny, charming, and a delight to watch

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:09pm On Sep 09, 2008
Chocolat (2001)
Director: Lasse Hallstrom

Hallstrom is a master at creating intimate and convincing worlds, inhabited by colourful and original characters. 'Chocolat', based on Joanne Harris's novel, is a gentle tale of someone who wants to belong. Full of humour and depth, and delivered with a deft touch, 'Chocolat' has just the right amount of sweetener - delicious!
I remember I passed this one many many times before actually sitting back to watch and enjoy!
I loved it!

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:11pm On Sep 09, 2008
The Way We Were (1973)
Director: Sydney Pollack

Barbra Streisand (playing college girl, Katie) just seems to have this knack for hitting all your weepy buttons. The gorgeous Robert Redford plays her college sweetheart and the couple form an unlikely pairing during their studying years. But back when politics could ruin a romance they go their separate ways only to hook up once again years later with all the rose tint, blurry filters and weepy music imaginable. Cry, laugh and enjoy the diva at her best!

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:12pm On Sep 09, 2008
Ghost (1990)
Director: Jerry Zucker

This is a powerful love story, told amidst an intriguing backdrop of murder and revenge. Using the tried-and-tested formula of good versus evil, the skilled director Jerry Zucker (famed for his very unromantic hit film 'Airplane'! and 'The Naked Gun' series) 'Ghost' is possibly the ultimate feel-good film. If you don't cry every time you see it, it's just possible that there's something wrong with you

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:13pm On Sep 09, 2008
Gone With The Wind (1939)
Director: Victor Fleming

Adapted from Margaret Mitchell's best-selling novel, this epic drama is one of the most gripping and dramatic movies of all time. Heroine, Scarlett O'Hara, is besotted with local boy Ashley. But if only she'd realise that it's Rhett Butler she really loves! Civil war may be raging though this feisty Southern belle's country but it's nothing compared to the turmoil she goes on to face after the war. And when Rhett says those famous words, 'Frankly my dear I don't give a damn', even if you've seen the film loads of times, it's still so powerful!

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:13pm On Sep 09, 2008
House Of Flying Daggers (2004)
Director: Zhang Yimou

House of Flying Daggers stars Ziyi Zhang (of 'Memoirs of a Geisha' fame). Here she plays a dancer called Mei in the Tang dynasty in China, who's purportedly a member of a group of assassins. When she's arrested, a heart-rending love triangle develops between her and the two policemen involved in her capture. Passionate stuff!

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:14pm On Sep 09, 2008
Moulin Rouge! (2001)
Director: Baz Luhrmann

This is a real visual extravaganza that's hilarious and highly emotional. Set in a cabaret club in Paris in the nineteenth century, it stars Nicole Kidman as dancer Satine, Ewan McGregor as the poet, Christian; and John Leguizamo as the artist, Toulouse-Lautrec. Dazzling and very, very moving too

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:15pm On Sep 09, 2008
Pretty Woman (1990)
Director: Garry Marshall

This is the highly predictable, yet highly loveable Hollywood fairy tale about a successful corporate mogul Edward Lewis (Richard Gere) who meets carefree call-girl Vivian Ward (Julia Roberts). Their two lives are worlds apart but Vivan's energetic spirit challenges Edward's no-nonsense approach to life, and soon they are not only learning from each other but also falling in love

Re: Top Romantic Movies by tope2000(f): 4:16pm On Sep 09, 2008
pretty woman n gone with the wind grin
Re: Top Romantic Movies by Gamine(f): 4:17pm On Sep 09, 2008
Funny, i saw Ghost yesterday.
Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:18pm On Sep 09, 2008
Romeo & Juliet (1996)
Director: Baz Luhrmann

Shakespeare never looked so good as when it was put into the capable hands of Australian filmmaker Baz Luhrmann. With Leonardo Di Caprio and Claire Danes in the lead roles, a modern day setting of Verona Beach (US), an excellent soundtrack and editing techniques that would have surely impressed the Bard himself, this interpretation of the greatest love story ever told is hip, dangerous, cool and heartbreaking – all at the same time

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:19pm On Sep 09, 2008
Sleepless In Seattle (1993)
Director: Nora Ephron

Tom Hanks is Sam, a young widower with a lively eight-year-old son. In an attempt to get over the death of his wife, Sam moves to Seattle and, once there, his son calls a network radio phone-in and gets Sam to unburden his angst over the air. On the other side of the US in Baltimore, Annie (Meg Ryan), a journalist who is already engaged, yet she somehow falls in love as she hears Sam talk. The suspense is kept up right to the end - an absolute killer!

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:21pm On Sep 09, 2008
Titanic (1997)
Director: James Cameron

This one has it all - romance, humour, tragedy. The characters are occasionally a tad unbelievable but for some reason it blends into the storyline. The unlikely and ill-fated couple Rose (Kate Winslet) and Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) will stay in the hearts of all womankind forever more

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:22pm On Sep 09, 2008
True Romance (1993)
Director: Tony Scott

Some folk like their romance with hearts and flowers – others like it with guns, torture, the mafia and lots of red lipstick. Cue Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette as Clarence and Alabama. He works in a video store and she's a hooker but they both like Kung-Fu movies so they do the sensible thing and get married. But after stealing her love-vendor's coke things get a tad violent. Will love save the day? With a supporting cast including Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken and Gary Oldman this cult classic won't make you cry but it will make you realise that romance comes in all guises

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:22pm On Sep 09, 2008
West Side Story (1961)
Directors: Jerome Robbins & Robert Wise

These guys were amongst the first to get wise to the concept of updating Shakespeare and here the ultimate love story, Romeo & Juliet, gets updated for a modern audience (well circa 1961) with a Latin twist. Tony (Richard Beymer) and Maria (Natalie Wood) are on the fringes of rival New York gangs (the Jets and the Sharks) but nonetheless fall for each other big time. All singing and all dancing, the songs are unforgettable and tragedy complete. Any man, women or beast that doesn't cry must clearly have a heart of pure stone

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:23pm On Sep 09, 2008
Wild At Heart (1990)
Director: David Lynch

'This whole world's wild at heart and weird on top' runaway, Lula, tells her jailbird boyfriend, Sailor - and she couldn't have captured the spirit of David Lynch's hip and heartfelt '90s love story better. Nic Cage and Laura Dern play the leads who run away together after Lula's psychotic mother hires a hit man to kill Sailor. And you thought you mother was bad? A hypnotic blend of madness, heavy metal, weird, romance and bizarre – this is pure Lynchian gold

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 4:29pm On Sep 09, 2008
Message In A Bottle (1999)

Can't believe I almost forgot this one!
A divorced single mother finds a bottle on the shore whilst out jogging. Much taken with the sentiments of the message inside she uses the resources of the Chicago paper she works for to track down the sender. When she meets him an affection quickly forms between them, and his cantankerous father is also taken with her. But it is obvious something in the past is casting a terrible shadow.

Re: Top Romantic Movies by AUDIBLE(m): 8:59pm On Sep 09, 2008
Keanu Reeves stars as a busy advertising executive who meets a free-spirited woman (Charlize Theron) who persuades him to spend a month with her so that she can help him work through his unresolved emotional issues. What neither counts on is falling in love.
"Sweet November" starring Keanu Reeves and Charlize Theron was released on video on July 24, 2001.

Re: Top Romantic Movies by iice(f): 3:43am On Sep 10, 2008
Gosh some of those movies are horrible grin
Loved chocolat - and you can guess why tongue grin
Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 7:14am On Sep 10, 2008
iice:

Gosh some of those movies are horrible grin
Loved chocolat - and you can guess why tongue grin

Lol!

I think I can guess!
Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 3:34pm On Feb 17, 2009
After seeing what Keanu did in "The Day The Earth Stood Still", I'm thinking he should stick to Sweet November type movies. angry
Re: Top Romantic Movies by MadMax1(f): 4:18pm On Feb 17, 2009
Great list. Most of my favourites are up there!
The English Patient and When Harry Met Sally would have made it the perfect list.
Don't you just love Baz Lurhmann's unconventional genius? I adore Moulin Rouge and loved that evil Count!
Re: Top Romantic Movies by tpia: 8:03pm On Feb 17, 2009
great list though I dont agree with all of them.

But yes, Chocolat is noteworthy. Gone with the Wind is a classic.

many others too.
Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 7:36am On Feb 18, 2009
Mad_Max:

Great list. Most of my favourites are up there!
The English Patient and When Harry Met Sally would have made it the perfect list.
Don't you just love Baz Lurhmann's unconventional genius? I adore Moulin Rouge and loved that evil Count!

I haven't seen them! tongue Feel free to add yours. smiley wink

tpia:

great list though I dont agree with all of them.

But yes, Chocolat is noteworthy. Gone with the Wind is a classic.

many others too.

Which ones do you not agree with Mrs Wanyans? tongue

Its shocking how much Brad Pitt and Robert Redford look alike. . . . .
Re: Top Romantic Movies by tpia: 3:47pm On Feb 18, 2009
spikedcylinder:

I haven't seen them! tongue Feel free to add yours. smiley wink

Which ones do you not agree with Mrs Wanyans? tongue

Its shocking how much Brad Pitt and Robert Redford look alike. . . . .

hmm, I hope you dont have a secret crush on my fiance/husband? cheesy All this "indignation" e get as e be oh! cheesy

Robert Redford is better looking than Brad, imo. He was great in Out of Africa too.

well, Message in a Bottle would have been ok except it dragged on too long, and was too fatalistic, in typical Nicholas Sparks fashion. And the female heroine wasnt very likeable.She appeared overly selfish and self absorbed. And not in a "good" way like scarlet O'Hara. Kevin Costner, however, remains extremely hot.

I'm just not into Keanu Reaves, I dont know why.

The rest are ok and I'll try to watch the ones I've missed so far. wink
Re: Top Romantic Movies by MadMax1(f): 5:58pm On Feb 18, 2009
Nora Ephron's written some of my favourite romances,Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail. If you liked those two you'll LOVE her When Harry Met Sally.Odd. Meg Ryan's in all three.
Re: Top Romantic Movies by omera(f): 9:45pm On Feb 18, 2009
The Notebook

1 Like

Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 9:21am On Feb 19, 2009
tpia:

hmm, I hope you dont have a secret crush on my fiance/husband? cheesy All this "indignation" e get as e be oh! cheesy

Robert Redford is better looking than Brad, imo. He was great in Out of Africa too.

well, Message in a Bottle would have been ok except it dragged on too long, and was too fatalistic, in typical Nicholas Sparks fashion. And the female heroine wasnt very likeable.She appeared overly selfish and self absorbed. And not in a "good" way like scarlet O'Hara. Kevin Costner, however, remains extremely hot.

I'm just not into Keanu Reaves, I dont know why.

The rest are ok and I'll try to watch the ones I've missed so far. wink

In love with 5 corner head? Lai lai! tongue

Message in a bottle wasn't that bad na, I think i especially like the way it ended. Sad.

Keanu Reeves is almost past his time unless he does something major. Besides Devil's Advocate and all the other romance movies he does, nothing going on for him.

Mad_Max:

Nora Ephron's written some of my favourite romances,Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail. If you liked those two you'll LOVE her When Harry Met Sally.Odd. Meg Ryan's in all three.

I don't know why I haven't seen When Harry Met Sally sha. I know I started watching it once but I never got to the end.
Re: Top Romantic Movies by spikedcylinder: 9:26am On Feb 19, 2009
Casablanca (1942)

Starring: Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains
Director: Michael Curtiz

Considered by many one of the greatest movies of all time, Casablanca weaves a love story within the tapestry of war, intrigue and heroism. Featuring a love triangle which brings to bear a past love within the confines of marital infidelity, Casablanca shows the choice we make when morality and love collide.

Humphrey Bogart plays a saloon keeper heavily distraught over the future and the one time lover of Ingrid Bergman. When she wanders into his Gin Joint of all those in the world, the sparks begin to fly and the old romantic feelings are once again rekindled. In the end Bogart does the hardest thing for any man in love. He lets her go in one of the most famous good-bye scenes ever recorded on film.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sites To Download Movies With Subtitle / Will An Action Nollywood Movie Sell In Nigeria? / Prices Of Plasma, LCD, LED, 3D And Smart Televisions In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.