Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,605 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:10 PM

What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? (1624 Views)

Hurricane Fayose!! / Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner / Hurricane Sandy: Will Nigeria Learn From The Emergency Response Plan Of USA? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by AloyEmeka9: 11:05pm On Sep 11, 2008
I've been watching CNN on how hurricane Ike devastated Cuba and Haiti and is presently heading towards the coast of Texas in full swing. The irony of the whole thing is that most hurricanes form in the African coastal regions of the atlantic especially West Africa. Why they don't attack Africa still beats me.

Four major cities in Nigeria that are directly connected to the atlantic coast are Warri, PH, Calabar and lagos. So, what if the hurricane decides to strike in any of these coasts, how effective can residents be evacuated without a record of too many loss of lives and properties? Do you think we are prepared for a disaster like this in Naija?
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by AloyEmeka9: 11:08pm On Sep 11, 2008
See pictures of the damages caused by Ike in Haiti and Cuba this week alone. More will come after it hits Texas early saturday morning.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26643689/displaymode/1107/s/2/framenumber/9/
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by RibaduFan(m): 11:23pm On Sep 11, 2008
God forbid
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by bilymuse: 11:53pm On Sep 11, 2008
Tufiakwa,
The Lord is good.
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 12:30am On Sep 12, 2008
See the recent Hurricanes in Haiti for answer
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 1:44am On Sep 12, 2008
NEMA and it's only functional helicopter would save the day. grin grin

what happened with the ikeja cantonment disaster would occur on a larger scale
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by DeepZone: 2:13am On Sep 12, 2008
NEMA and it's only functional helicopter would save the day.

Are you sure they'll have gas in the helicopter? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by DeepZone: 2:20am On Sep 12, 2008
Is it only hurricane? The title of this thread should be: How prepared is Nigeria in the face of any disaster, whether it's natural or artificial? Do we even have any ministry/department for emergency?
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 2:43am On Sep 12, 2008
DeepZone:

Are you sure they'll have gas in the helicopter? grin grin grin grin grin

oh ok u got me, what about the stable of keke marwa(tricycle) to evacuate stranded people grin
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by Morenike3(f): 2:49am On Sep 12, 2008
Hurricane no even come yet, the country dey scatter scatter
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by DeepZone: 3:30am On Sep 12, 2008
Na Nigeria una dey yab like this? Bawomolo, take your time. grin grin grin
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by noetic(m): 4:05am On Sep 12, 2008
@ post

it will b a tragedy, . , . . . . . . , .hurricane sef know where to go shocked shocked grin grin
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by clemcykul(f): 10:53am On Sep 12, 2008
hurricane, niaja?

dat impossible in jesus name.

what do we have to offer the hurricane?

if it comes , it's goona wipe us off the earth
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by ssRhino: 1:56pm On Sep 12, 2008
Pray it wont happen, cos we dont have what it takes, and trust me, the pple that will help us are not many, cos we dont have good names around the universe, but i am sure we will survive.
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by DeepZone: 8:21pm On Sep 12, 2008
Pray it wont happen, because we don't have what it takes, and trust me, the people that will help us are not many, because we don't have good names around the universe, but i am sure we will survive.

In other words, we'll be alone?
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by ssRhino: 8:22pm On Sep 12, 2008
DeepZone:

In other words, we'll be alone?

Yes we will all be alone, cos even americans will be glad to take over Nigerian Soil, cos wont take them long to make into haven of paradise.
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by DeepZone: 8:23pm On Sep 12, 2008
hurricane, niaja?Huh

that impossible in jesus name.

what do we have to offer the hurricane?

if it comes , it's goona wipe us off the earth

I don't think so, did it wipe Haiti off the surface of the earth? There will be enough disaster but not enough to even wipe 10% of lagos or Ph.
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by DeepZone: 8:24pm On Sep 12, 2008
Yes we will all be alone, because even americans will be glad to take over Nigerian Soil, because wont take them long to make into haven of paradise

Britain and France will come to our AID.
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by 1luvkipsus: 8:27pm On Sep 12, 2008
Then what happened in Haiti and America will happen here also.
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by ssRhino: 8:28pm On Sep 12, 2008
DeepZone:

Britain and France will come to our AID.

Before their ships gets to the shore of nija, and the are ablet o get a place to anchor the ships, most nigerians would be dead.
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by DeepZone: 8:37pm On Sep 12, 2008
Before their ships gets to the shore of nija, and the are ablet o get a place to anchor the ships, most nigerians would be dead.
If we can use juju to protect ourselves from gun shots, why not hurricane?
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by Morenike3(f): 9:09pm On Sep 12, 2008
DeepZone:

If we can use juju to protect ourselves from gun shots, why not hurricane?
grin grin grin grin

Is that even real? Juju against gunshots?
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by RibaduFan(m): 9:12pm On Sep 12, 2008
Malu ti o niru, Oluwa ni ba lesin

A cow without a tail depends on God in its fight against flies.
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by DeepZone: 9:13pm On Sep 12, 2008
Is that even real? Juju against gunshots?
It's realooo. shocked shocked shocked
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by DeepZone: 9:15pm On Sep 12, 2008
Hurricane Ike? Why give it an igbo name? Ibo people always cause katakata anywhere dem go including their gods. See the havoc their god, Ike is causing around the world. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

I can hear Quotasystem thumping his feet now. Na joke I dey joke my brother.
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by RibaduFan(m): 9:17pm On Sep 12, 2008
@Deepzone

U re finished, Quotasystem is coming for u. Now u ve actually outdone urself.
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by DeepZone: 9:17pm On Sep 12, 2008
@Deepzone

You re finished, Quotasystem is coming for u. Now u ve actually outdone yourself.

Lol, I'm waiting for him. Abi, wetin I talk na lie?
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by onyinye2(f): 9:18pm On Sep 12, 2008
DeepZone:

Hurricane Ike? Why give it an igbo name? Ibo people always cause katakata anywhere them go including their gods. See the havoc their god, Ike is causing around the world. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

I can hear Quotasystem thumping his feet now. Na joke I dey joke my brother.

That is what my mom said. Cause i think Ike means Strength, so that is why they "ordered" me to stay with them until the storm passes. Btw Deepzone, it is Igbo, not ibo.
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by DeepZone: 9:21pm On Sep 12, 2008
That is what my mom said. Cause i think Ike means Strength, so that is why they "ordered" me to stay with them until the storm passes. Btw Deepzone, it is Igbo, not ibo.

What a coincidence and this one is coming with enormous "ike/strenght" towards the coasts of Texas. That's why i think it's an angry IGBO god(from the Niger Delta side). tongue tongue tongue
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by tpia: 3:30am On Sep 13, 2008
Etymology of the name Ike

Short form of the name Isaac or Dwight. "I Like Ike" was the famous presidential campaign slogan for Dwight D. Eisenhower. Ike Turner, musician. Ike Barinholtz, actor/comedian.

http://babynames.com/name/IKE

American meaning: laughter.

Ike also appears in the following countries/origins/languages: African, Australian,Chinese, English, Hebrew.

http://www.babynology.com/meaning-ike-m1.html

next we'll be hearing anyone with the names Lola or Akin is always Yoruba.

Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP was founded in 1945 by Robert Strauss and Richard Gump. The firm now numbers more than 1,000 attorneys and advisors in 14 offices in the United States, Europe and Asia.

W. Todd Akin (born July 5, 1947), American politician, has been a Republican member of the United States House of Representatives since 2001, representing Missouri's 2nd congressional district

@ topic: hurricanes/cyclone winds normally originate in the the tropics/equator and blow across the ocean to the western hemisphere. So barring unforeseen circumstances or human interference, it would be very unusual for an intense hurricane to hit Lagos or Nigeria's coastal region. So far there's been nothing of the sort in recorded history, as far as I know.
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by Epiphany(m): 1:51pm On Sep 13, 2008
We dont need any hurricane Ike or such. We have our own local natural disasters, Hurricane Abacha, IBB, OBJ and others.
They have done much more than any hurricane, earthquake or flood has done in America, Japan, etc
Re: What If Hurricane Comes To Nigeria? by TheSly: 2:08pm On Sep 13, 2008
Epiphany:

We don't need any hurricane Ike or such. We have our own local natural disasters, Hurricane Abacha, IBB, OBJ and others.
They have done much more than any hurricane, earthquake or flood has done in America, Japan,
etc
Abi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Chieftain Dies In Police Commissioner's Office / Breaking News !. !.!. 6.0 Magnitue Earthquake Hits Guatemala City. / When Are Nigerians Going To Stop Complaining And Start Doing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.