Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

Extremely High Crime Rate In South Africa. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Extremely High Crime Rate In South Africa. (2033 Views)

Top 10 Countries With The Highest Crime Rate In 2014 / Enugu Has The Lowest Crime Rate - IGP / Osun Emerges With Lowest Unemployment Rate In Nigeria – NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Extremely High Crime Rate In South Africa. by Planner(m): 11:09am On Sep 13, 2008
Rugby fans warned of S Africa high murder rate
Sep 13 2008 by Andrew Dagnell, Western Mail

SOUTH AFRICA has one of the highest murder rates in the world, according to United Nations figures.

Between April 2007 and March this year more than 18,000 people were killed and there were a similar number of attempted murders.

During that time there were more than 100,000 aggravated robberies and more than 14,000 car-jackings.

The official figure for the number of rapes every day is 150, although the true figure is thought to be much higher.

Much of the lawlessness takes place in the townships surrounding major cities with drugs, alcohol and unemployment often blamed.

In the past few years, the violence has spilled into suburbs and white areas.

More than 100 policemen were shot dead last year, on and off duty.

Pretoria serves as the country’s administrative capital and is located in the northern part of the Gauteng province.

Thousands of rugby fans will flock there in May and June next year for the British Lion’s tour, including hundreds of Welsh tourists.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has warned tourists to be as vigilant as possible when travelling to South Africa.

In advice published on their website, they say: “During 2007 and 2008 there have been a number of incidents involving foreigners being followed from OR Tambo Airport, Johannesburg, to their destinations by car and then robbed, often at gunpoint.

“We recommend you exercise particular caution in and around the airport and extra vigilance when driving away.

“The risk to visitors travelling to the main tourist destinations is low.

“But if you are mugged or your car is hijacked you should remain calm, offer no resistance and hand over possessions without question. Avoid eye contact. Consult a reliable tour guide if you are visiting a township.”

Welsh emigres living in South Africa have said they had also been victims of violent crime.

Most of them living there have been forced to erect massive walls around their houses to help protect themselves.

Peter Phillips, 60, who runs a successful wine-selling business in Johannesburg having emigrated from Pontypridd 37 years ago, was shot at after he pulled up at traffic lights.

“Two guys approached my car on the outskirts of Johannesburg when I was heading home one evening,” he said.

“I caught something out of the corner of my eye and when I turned to look there was a gun against the window.

“I drove away and they shot at me. The bullet hit the door frame.

“But I’ve travelled the world and I feel no more at risk here than in several other places, including the UK.” Geoff Thomas, 57, a businessman from Margam, lived in Johannesburg for 25 years and still travels there several times a year on business.

He said: “There’s no doubt you feel at risk out here and have to be very careful. For 25 years I was only too aware of the violence but I was never attacked.

“But there are all sorts of horror stories. It used to be you knew a friend of a friend getting attacked, now everyone knows someone who has been attacked.

“Everyone has intense home security. High walls have been a fact of life since the 1980s but most will also have barbed wire or electric fencing – because the guys doing the attacking are carrying AK47s, they are not lightly armed.”

Earlier this year police in Pretoria were ordered to deal with criminals by killing them.

The country’s security minister Susan Shabangu caused controversy when she told officers not to worry about regulations, negotiations or warning shots.

At a public meeting addressing the spiralling crime rate, she told South African police chiefs: “You must not worry about regulations – that is my responsibility. Your responsibility is to serve and protect.

“Criminals are hell-bent on undermining the law and they must now be dealt with.

“There are to be no negotiations with criminals.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/09/13/rugby-fans-warned-of-s-africa-high-murder-rate-91466-21808886/

(1) (Reply)

Lagosians Join Battle Between Gov Fashola And His Benefactor, Tinubu. / Edo,delta,yoruba Join Benin Republic, Hausa Niger Republic Join Nigeria / Breakdown Of Inec N87.7 Billion Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.