Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,757 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 (4280 Views)

Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? / Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! / 2,422 Killed And 11,961 Injured In Road Accidents From Jan - June – FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by ziontrain: 5:55pm On Sep 17, 2008
See the link below for the news:

http://thepmnews.com/2008/09/17/lagos-to-ban-illegal-car-dealers

I wonder what this means for Nairalanders.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by igwe11(m): 6:05pm On Sep 17, 2008
that's great news for those who will buy car just to show off on xmas and would want to sell it back on January after being broke.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by femzy(m): 6:29pm On Sep 17, 2008
IMHO; Then this law should apply to other commodities too.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by showbobo(m): 6:46pm On Sep 17, 2008
Its a good measure but another means of extortion has been paved for the Nigeria Police Force.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by brownbonno(m): 6:57pm On Sep 17, 2008
Commissioner for Transportation, Prof. Bamidele Badejo should know better,that,protecting consumers and depriving private individuals from disposing off their personal property(ies) is contradicting.
Protection of consumers can only be achieved if there is proper car registration/ownership/transfer of ownership  process is in place.
With the "mad house" in Nigeria with duplication of function in all government agencies(FRSC & Vehicle licensing office),The Lagos governor should look into transparent enforcement of enabling laws/bye laws.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by ssRhino: 7:29pm On Sep 17, 2008
I there is a pros and cons to that Law
part of the functions and i quote
"Badejo stated that when the law becomes operational, it would become practically impossible for an unregistered auto dealer to operate in the state, adding that it would become illegal for anybody to personally sell vehicles without going through a registered dealer."

This means even if yuo have driven a car for a while and you wanna change it, u will have to go thru an auto dealer to dispose, and this means that if you wanna sell for 500k, the dealer will add another 200k as profit and a car that cld have been bought for just 500K will now cost like 700K or more, so tell me, who wins, and chances are that will take longer to dispose now, cos it is now out of reach of the common pple.
I hope they will make room for these in their law sha, cos every sane nation still have "individual sales"
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by brownbonno(m): 7:35pm On Sep 17, 2008
Commissioner for Transportation, Prof. Bamidele Badejo should know better,that,protecting consumers and depriving private individuals from disposing off their personal property(ies) is contradicting.
Protection of consumers can only be achieved if there is proper car registration/ownership/transfer of ownership process is in place.
With the “mad house” in Nigeria with duplication of functions in all government agencies(FRSC & Vehicle licensing office),The Lagos governor should look into transparent enforcement of enabling laws/bye laws and specification of functions of government agencies for effective monitoring.
Prof. Bamidele Badejo,why do want to create a problem for Fashola.If you want to control vehicle and their ownership,you can create a Data base where change of ownership can be effected,ownership can be changed to a name/person with a valid drivers license.
Gov Fashola is a lawyer,a SAN for that matter and he knows the responsibilities place on buyers/sellers under the Consumer protection Acts and Sales of Good s Acts.
This is a free society and you cannot prevent a private individual from displaying his/her old car in front of his house for sale.

Maybe Prof don collect egunje from the Car dealers to create this law.

http://thepmnews.com/2008/09/17/lagos-to-ban-illegal-car-dealers
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by igwe11(m): 7:37pm On Sep 17, 2008
$$Rhino:

I there is a pros and cons to that Law
part of the functions and i quote
"Badejo stated that when the law becomes operational, it would become practically impossible for an unregistered auto dealer to operate in the state, adding that it would become illegal for anybody to personally sell vehicles without going through a registered dealer."

This means even if yuo have driven a car for a while and you want to change it, u will have to go through an auto dealer to dispose, and this means that if you want to sell for 500k, the dealer will add another 200k as profit and a car that cld have been bought for just 500K will now cost like 700K or more, so tell me, who wins, and chances are that will take longer to dispose now, because it is now out of reach of the common people.
I hope they will make room for these in their law sha, because every sane nation still have "individual sales"

with nairaland you can sell the car right in your house,,,,,,,,,,,
no shakin, just snap it and sample for sale here.believe me people will come to your house for inspection.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by ssRhino: 7:41pm On Sep 17, 2008
igwe 1:

with nairaland you can sell the car right in your house,,,,,,,,,,,
no shakin, just snap it and sample for sale here.believe me people will come to your house for inspection.
but i am sure theere has to be some restriction by the govt, probably, be4 you can be able to register the car, there has to be some kinda documents from the dealer to the govt or something, they wont make a law without a way to make sure pple follow it to the last letter.
But then, na nija we dey yarn.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by ziontrain: 7:45pm On Sep 17, 2008
What if you go and register your vehicle in Otta or Sagamu? I think nigerians will find a way to beat this law.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by igwe11(m): 7:47pm On Sep 17, 2008
$$Rhino:

but i am sure theere has to be some restriction by the govt, probably, be4 you can be able to register the car, there has to be some kind of documents from the dealer to the govt or something, they wont make a law without a way to make sure people follow it to the last letter.
But then, na nija we dey yarn.
the saler must have papers and you can always work out something on the agreement. or if i want to give someone my car as a gift must i pass through a car dealer,
problem is that not everybody knows about nairaland or is computer literate.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by ssRhino: 7:58pm On Sep 17, 2008
Then, i guess no wahala then, as long as we can continue selling, or better still, i might look into dealership registrationin Nija sef.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by femzy(m): 8:29pm On Sep 17, 2008
This law will simply cause inflation.Thats another view to it.Even these so called Auto Dealers.How many of them are duly registered?
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by Sojizzle(m): 10:27am On Sep 20, 2008
simple and short, BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!
Its a good thing that the Lagos state  government want to coordinate such, but its that the best they can think of, may God save us from unnecessary administrative bottlenecks in this country.
1)That will encourage inflation
2)That will simply create another avenue for exploitation from the police and so on
       They should simply create a sort of database where u can report stolen vehicles and verify a vehicle before buying it.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by igwe11(m): 2:03pm On Sep 20, 2008
Sojizzle:

They should simply create a sort of database where u can report stolen vehicles and verify a vehicle before buying it.

yeah,
Before you buy any car you first check out for the details on net,that should be a certified evident for non-stolen vehicles rather than placing ban.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by sultaan(m): 4:33pm On Sep 20, 2008
Whao, it seems everybody here is smarter than the Prof. Commissioner.
There was a law that never worked because it was written by a trader and enacted by businessmen.The condition is even wosrse than when the law was written.

The Commissioner should show me the title, and registration for his cars, or better show documentation on his cars from his dept/ministry.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by otokx(m): 10:15am On Oct 19, 2008
Is that the New Year gift he has for Lagosians?
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by ikeyman00(m): 11:12am On Oct 19, 2008
ghana must go politicians must face shaira!! their hands,dicks,one legs must be amputated

FG 8th point agenda!!!

political monkies
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by damola1: 11:22am On Oct 19, 2008
which kain mumu law be this.

I be sure say very soon, dem go make law to say it's illegal for a private individual to bring in cars, mumu mumu person.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by ogbongzky(m): 11:24am On Oct 19, 2008
shebi 9ja la wa, we go see na
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by kenflipper(m): 12:52pm On Oct 19, 2008
Simple fact!, they aint qualified to be in the position they hold as govt worker!, How can we vote these guys out, before they take away our rights to breath oxygen? this is a very serious issue and isnt funny at all, Nigeria will be the only country in the world where an individual cant sell his car from his back yard. Other countries create positive records, we only create negative records. They could band indiscriminate car dealership locations or such without govt approval e.g street display,which prevents free traffic flow. But not when i m selling my car to my cousin or friend in the compound of my house. These guys are crazy oh, obviously they required mental examination. What is the internet for??, You see this is evidence that these guys cheated to obtain their bogus degrees while in school, Why else will they be affraid of Using Information Tech to fight crime in this age. They should simply create a data base for stolen cars which should include auto infos and pictures, Car owners should be required to take both internal & external pictures of their cars and store it in a safe place to be turned in when their vehicles are stolen so that the website can be updated. and the masses should be well informed to use the data base to make inquiry about the car they intend buying and equally report it if necessary via the website, if discovered to be on stolen list that is how you use the masses to police themselves.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by adeyemik: 2:17pm On Oct 19, 2008
Lagos state is simple on a revenue drive for itself and giving the police another avenue to make money. Well trust Naija people, they will find a way out to beat the useless law. Lagos will be the final loser, what it takes to beat the law is for us to go to other state to get the car registered and licensed.

Chikena, abi ki o toku!!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by JosBoy4Lif(m): 10:17pm On Oct 19, 2008
Will this mean more sales for Port Harcourt
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by yemibox: 11:44pm On Oct 19, 2008
Good things as they say don't come easy. This is a sign of good thing coming judged by the criticisms of some. Lagos can't be better if Fashola doesn't step on toes so fellas get your iron boots cos Fashola is stepping on toes for good and for the benefit of all. I think Lagosians need a sixth sense to think further and see clearer in his view. Governor Babatunde Fashola, I'll always envy you, keep up the good work.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by samboribo(m): 12:40am On Oct 20, 2008
ok! so a guy has a car that was involved in some serious accident. he takes it to Wasiu (his mechanic) and everything gets "fixed". he then goes to this "authority" to place his car for sale. he explains to the man in charge, the major problem of the car and promises to grease his palms if the car gets sold at the price of the same car in a better working condition. an interested individual walks in and is given a flawless "report". he pays and drives home, unaware of the full truth.

bottom line: this is a BAD IDEA!!! perhaps, a child of one these people should direct daddy to nairaland for personal reviews from other lagosians and nigerians as a whole.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by gamechange(m): 12:50am On Oct 20, 2008
This implies that the automobile trade will end up in the hands of oligarchy of local businessmen, who probably will be cronies of the Governor and his associates.

This can not be any further from free market principles. It will fail woefully.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by chessguru(m): 1:47am On Oct 20, 2008
nice development, but hope they will carry it out the proper way
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by Firefire(m): 4:06am On Oct 20, 2008
I think Lagos State government is trying to make money at all cost not minding the masses and the electorate.
It is commendable that Lagos State government has made a lot of laws but clearly most of these laws have not been enforced
The other day Fasola's Administration brought out a law on Civil Offender:
For instance, laws on begging, I think people are still begging on the streets of Lagos despite the existence of that law.
Law of giving of arms which attract penalty.
Also the issue of where a passenger is carried by an Okada rider without helmet.
Lagos driver driving against traffic;
The kind of monetary sanctions that are provided by those laws are out of place and ridiculous.
Even a case where they said any driver that contravenes traffic reputations would be made to pay N250,000 is improper what of if the cost of the Vehicle is not up to =N= 250,000?
Enforcement of law is an integral part of law making. Once a law is not enforceable, then it is a bad law.
So, we are not moved by what we hear, we are waiting for Lagos State Law banning Illegal Car delars to joing other LEGIONS of Law introduced by His Excellency The Governor General of Lagos State; B. R. FASOLA (SAN)?
E ko oni baje ooooo,
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by Outstrip(f): 7:14pm On Oct 20, 2008
Nigeria for you. Easy solution even if it makes no sense. Why make life complicated for the avergae person that wants to upgrade their vehicles. If they are so worried about a vehicle being bought was stolen then they should set up a system where you can look up a VIN number or keep better records on the state level. People still have this mentality of "I DECREE!!!!!!" in NIgeria. There are many more other options but they know it will take more work to implement so they don;t want to go that route. They want to go the moomoo route as usual. I dependable system for registering motor vehicles has long been over due in that Nigeria.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by Nobody: 10:42pm On Oct 20, 2008
This is a very bad law. I wonder why the Lagos State government will consider this of all the problems bedevilling the state? Don't individuals have the right to dispose their properties including cars any more? What is really wrong with people in government? They just come up with laws without input from the governed. This is preponsterous! If you look deeper into this, there are some selfish motives. Well I know it won't work. No be Naija. A beg leave me hand.
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by Nobody: 5:32pm On Oct 22, 2008
Man, this is RUBBISH, and outright nuisance What is this hell country turning into , ? huh!

BRB
Re: Lagos To Ban Illegal Car Dealers From Jan. 1, 2009 by visitor30(m): 9:29am On Nov 13, 2008
can u imagine the dumb law? the next thing you will hear again is that all vehicle on lagos road will henceforth be carrying lagos state registered licence plate numbers, don't be surprise if you wake up one morning to see that in d news!! wonders will never end with all these our funny politicians,

(1) (2) (Reply)

1.5million What Kind Of Car Can I Get For This Amount / Modifications That Can Make Headlamps Brighter / Car Not Accelerating Fast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.