Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,856 members, 7,806,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call (29422 Views)

My 3D Graphic Photos / 2D And 3D Graphic Animation. / Info For Training On 3d/graphic Design (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by resichild(m): 11:21pm On Sep 23, 2008
Wow!Social life??bin long since that word made sense to me grin grin Anyway, i still stand by mt offer when i say if there is space put me in. This project of mine looks like its of to a slow start cos till now no responses.Anyway, i just wrote out(not draw) 25story boards for scene I. i am on scene 2 now.I think its going to have like 4scenes.The intro,journey,confrontation and outro.Like u said, i am going to drop it at a cliffhanger point, grin. Anyway, what do u guys want to start with?tell me so i can forward details.
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by Tunslike: 9:51am On Sep 24, 2008
@OKX

Guy! u just dey raise the roof, no be small thin, the first time your comparasion was with shrek and Panda, now na TRANSFORMERS, may next time na MATRIX or ROBO COP , lol grin grin no be small thin, cheesy cheesy cheesy kiddin ooooo grin grin grin

the only point i could figure out from your comments is "if Resichild does a good job with the story n we can characterize and storyboard it properly, then we are off to a good start!" that's what matter, all other english and whtever whtever, welll undecided undecided undecided undecided no b small thin wink

@Resichild
Now u have the challenge, come up with the story then we transform it according to OKX, initially it was the timeFrame now it's the story, so u are getting to your salvation, cheesy make am gud o wink cheesy

@Xothermik
Nice contribution so far, quite technical. thanks.
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by jemit(m): 1:02pm On Sep 24, 2008
hey u guys r killing me with all these much grammar.

@Resichild
i think u've got a good idea. u said u would like 2 do a film in 3-4wks, well 2 b frank wit u, i think d best u will do is a 4-5mins video. seriously it takes a lot to work on a 3d project. if u think getting lots of people 2 work wit u will help, wait till everyone comes wit their own ideas, variety of design styles etc. u havn't gotten the people on ground yet & u r setting unrealistic time limits.

look, its good to set goals, but they have to b realistic. i sure hope u hav settled the issue of the storyline b4 d 4weeks period begins, though there will still b lots of adjustments to the story during production. if u hav a short time to work on the project, why dont u reduce the length of the movie & come up with something great, as OKX said its best to come out wit something dat will wow d audience & even receive international attention. believe me, many guys are working on various animation projects here in nigeria, most r individual & personal jobs, so if u want to gather a team as u said, i think u should just go 4 d best.

i'm interested in this by d way. i'm into 3d modelling & animation, also into videography and would like to work with like-minds. i believe there are so many great guys around.
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by A2J(m): 2:36pm On Sep 24, 2008
welcome onboard jemit,

drop your email and phone number here so "OGA" can contact you
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by OKX(m): 4:20pm On Sep 24, 2008
@ XOTHERMIK
sure theres a way around every problem/challenge. was just sharing info abt the movie- not making reference to this project.
u make sense when u talk tho, ud be an asset to the project.

@ RESICHILD
to avoid redoing work, create the story first n circulate it for critique, before proceeding to storyboard. so far, u havent employed anyone elses creativity- and we all seem to agree that the story is key.
im sure some creative input added to whatever u have can only help the final output.

i wld suggest there be order n planning to this project. questions i have are as follows:

is this to be an entirely on-line project?
what are the designated roles?
what is the art style?
what software is the backbone for the project?
who and who is on board, n what are their areas of strengths? (im sure we can all do everything.lol)

some of the above can only be resolved in a face-to-face meet, especially assigning responsibilities.

i still think posting a simple YES will help u atleast assemble ur workforce before evaluation proper.

@ JEMIT
well said, but i think we shouldnt overflog that issue.
will be nice to have u aboard, nothing helps a project like a balanced viewpoint!

Resichild, ur move!
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by A2J(m): 4:38pm On Sep 24, 2008
I second OKX view and question,

lets know how many people are onboard, what is their area of specialty,2d or 3d,motion graphics, what is their preferred software, wil they bring their pc and software onboard, or team will buy all softwares?

lets start from there and SURE face2face meeting will definitely be needed.
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by jemit(m): 4:50pm On Sep 24, 2008
well my email is jemit2002@yahoo.com so "OGA" you can contact me as i am ready to work with you.
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by A2J(m): 5:36pm On Sep 24, 2008
jemit:

well my email is jemit2002@yahoo.com so "OGA" you can contact me as i am ready to work with you.

you need to drop your phone number also o, this project is not going to be mainly online interaction -email,forum post- so that is why your phone number is needed for immediate reach.
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by jemit(m): 7:06pm On Sep 24, 2008
ok, its 07030313260. i'll be xpecting ur call sir!!
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by resichild(m): 12:23am On Sep 25, 2008
I stretch my fingers for more typing, jeeezzzzzzzzzzzz.
@all
Let me as much as say that if anybody brings up the issue of all those horn clashing issues on page one back here , he will buy all of us 200naira call credits cos it does not take a professor to see that we have ironed out those issues and are only interested in moving forward.Also , this 'OGA' title dat u guys are beginning to use,hmmm, u are on ur own oh!
Now on to the matters at hand.
@OKX and A2J
the answers to ur questions are as follows:
1. It will be mostly online when we consider the various locations of each member though if we mostly turn out to be in lagos, then we can make regular meetings.For those who wont be in lag for the meetings, we will have to convey the proceedings across to them.Along the way, we will definitely come up with good suggestions but for now lets orient ourselves to an online project.

2. Designated roles will depend on each persons strengths and weaknesses also how compatible his software is with the mainstream production.I cannot give u this info now cos nobody has actually come forth with their pros and cons.
3.The art style is going to be simply like the way it is with INCREDIBLES.the detail wont be maddening but still very catchy.Would have loved to do cel shading but it cuts our audience in half being that the adults wud simply write it off as a cartoon.And i mean, we need their cash to progress.
4. I am a 3D max user. But it would be unfair to make this the mainstream software but that might be the case if most people on the team turn out to be max users grin grin grin but anyway, the wisest decision i think would be to use either Maya,Max or SoftImage Xsi for the final rendering output. Modelling can be done in virtually any 3d package since a standard .3ds file can be exported and imported by most of them. I'm not sure about rigging and texturing though textures can be done in photoshop and fireworks or paint-shop pro.2D art is pen and paper.Sounds would be Adobe Audition and post production effects would be Adobe After Effects/Premiere.Though all this will still be subject to change regarding the team's comfortability.
5. As of now, the only people i can say are definitely onboard are OKX and A2J but i still lack any info on both of u.Jemit looks very promising but still no info.
6.@A2J i am sure u dont want to kill me yet.Pls everyone will need their pcs or laptops to work and their softwares.Those i can provide are the full adobe suite CS3, 3Dmax 9,max8,softimage xsi 7.0.Of course u know it involves installing ang crakin(naija faktor).Anybody who can get any other are highly welcomed.
7. Partaining the story, i will email it to u guys when u post ur details.Along with the storyboards i have written out and other details only team members should know.U can then take ur time to post it back to me after editing what u deem fit 2edit.Pls i wud like to state here that if ur corrections dont meet the final cut, u shudnt think ur opinion is nit sought its just that it didnt make it period, no BAD-BELLE follow am oh!
8. I believe i wud also pick up three people +me and my partner(Demmy) making 5 dat will be the final decision makers on all the issues we encounter so we dont spend too much time on unnecessary arguments and, as jemit says, grammar.For now, i think OKX is very technical,foresighted,serious and always looking for a way to forge ahead.So i am sure u guys wont vex cos i want him to be one of the decision makers.But, i still need ur info.A2J, u ma na correct guy so i think u are second.All we need is one more professinal and level headed guy.Like i said the rest should not shake but the fact is, every gathering must have a leadership and dats what we are doing grin grin grin

I hope i have cleared some doubts and thats about it for doubt clearing.I am going to start this thing anew again and anybody who is interested in this project should just follow suit and do as i am going to do in the next post.OKX and A2J including u both.We must show examples.This way to gather the various details would be easy.Okay here we go,
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by resichild(m): 12:30am On Sep 25, 2008
Also, the main facts for the demo film are,
It has been brought down to 10mins since it will be used to source for funds.
As agreed from views, we are going with story two about the man in the forest
Story will end as if the best was just beginning.
any other info will be passed along as soon as it develops. Now start posting as below,
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by resichild(m): 12:41am On Sep 25, 2008
YES to project
blog name-resichild
strengths:modelling,animation,story writing,rendering,postproduction effects
software used:3D max9, bryce6,mental ray, Fx-home's visual,composite and effects Lab studio.
email:concepthaven@yahoo.com
current location:Lagos
phone :08036395922
Description of sample work pic:converted naijadey's robowheel sketch to 3D untextured

please use the above format only.Thanx and looking forward to assembling a solid team please lets not stray again thanxwink cheesy

Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by OKX(m): 8:41am On Sep 25, 2008
i suggest a slight modification. if the project is to be mainly online, then, for evaluation purposes- as much info as possible should be posted by team members. i suggest creating a template for not just indicating strengths but also indicating with figures, on a scale of ten, where u rank urself on a particular skill.

true, it may be a self ranking, but in an industry where most people have had to be jack-of-all trades, doing practically everything by themselves- i think indicating numerically ur skill and where u will like to be employed, in order of preference, will help ur placement process.

for example-i love modeling, but if any twisted mind out there actually enjoys uv-mapping- then they are very welcome to modeling instead!
showing that preference/ranking/rating may help u further assign tasks within departments/appoint dept. heads.

a sample could be as follows, using my info:

YES to project
blog name: OKX
skills: CONCEPTUALISATION(6) PLANNING/MANAGEMENT(cool 2D ART(6) MODELING(7) UV PLACEMENT/TEXTURING(4) RIGGING/ANIMATION(cool POST PRODUTION(5)
software: 3D MAX9(4) MAYA 8(9) CORELDRAWX4(cool ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CS3(7)
preferred department: 1ST CHOICE- ANIMATION
2ND CHOICE- MODELING
current location: port harcourt (valid for 3 wks)
email: imagix_studios@yahoo.com
phone: 0802 328 9217

an alternative/additional method employs a hands-on approach and tests the production process.

describe a character from the story.
we all submit concept art of him/her/it.
we select the final sample to be adopted.(maybe thru an opinion poll/vote)
we model him/her/it.
we create a sample animation of him/her/it based on definite instructions.
we then render and publish the final file.

('we' refers to those that possess the relevant skill in a particular area and are interested in that dept. eg. if u animate and dont model, u can wait until the model is published, then u download it for ur input)

all of this will happen to a strict time frame- designed to test how ur team performs under pressure.

this will test ur teams workflow/commitment on a lesser scale and point out potential issues b4 the larger demo project. and give u, the project director, a better sense of each individuals ability and timing for the project.

just some thots. wot say the house?
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by OKX(m): 8:44am On Sep 25, 2008
pls where all those smileys appear- the value of the figure is 8
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by Neikid: 9:20am On Sep 25, 2008
@ OKX
your suggestions are aight.
@ resichild
just tot to drop a line so y'all know i'm still down with the project.
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by Tunslike: 2:49pm On Sep 25, 2008
Yeeeee, they don forget me oooooo, sad sad undecided

cheesy grin cheesy Kiddin,

YESSSSSS to the Project.
Blog name >> Tunslike
Skills >> 3D Modelling, Animation, Lighting and Environmental Creation, Character Rigging & Animation, 3D Integration, MatchMoving and Composition, Conceptualisation, Visual Effect and Post-Production (Motion Graphics)
Strength >>> Visual Effect, 3D Modelling, Character Animation and Rigging, Lighting and Environment Creation, Post- Production
Software >>> Maya, 3D Max, Cinema 4D, Aftereffect, Boujou, Photoshop, Premier Pro
Preferred Dept >>> 1st Choice = Character Development & Modelling / Rigging /Animation / Texturing
2nd Choice = Lighting and Environment Set-up
3rd Choice = Post-production and color correction and retouching

Location >>> Lagos cheesy cheesy grin yeeepee!!
Email >>>> Tunslike@yahoo.com cool
Mobile Phone >>> 08023429574, 01-8785291, 01-8785293

That's All.
OKX:

an alternative/additional method employs a hands-on approach and tests the production process.

describe a character from the story.
we all submit concept art of him/her/it.
we select the final sample to be adopted.(maybe through an opinion poll/vote)
we model him/her/it.
we create a sample animation of him/her/it based on definite instructions.
we then render and publish the final file.

('we' refers to those that possess the relevant skill in a particular area and are interested in that dept. eg. if You animate and don't model, You can wait until the model is published, then You download it for ur input)

all of this will happen to a strict time frame- designed to test how ur team performs under pressure.

this will test ur teams workflow/commitment on a lesser scale and point out potential issues before the larger demo project. and give You, the project director, a better sense of each individuals ability and timing for the project.

I totally agreed with OKX on this, but really i think You (Resichild) establish the primary software platform for this project so that if required team member can all dust their shoes(skills/abilities) on which ever they will be using to produce their very best.

For me i will prefer Maya, but it still depends on the story and what is require, most people will prefer Max, LIKE the Author does (Resichild), i have great Strengths in both just that comfortability/preference are different.

so please resichild establish one for us.
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by OKX(m): 6:07pm On Sep 25, 2008
@ TUNSLIKE
output is wot counts. when the team evolves to smaller task-oriented units- the software of choice will generally emerge from them, not the other way round. u wont for example, catch me doing character animation in Max or Maya when i have Motionbuilder. if that flies with my local unit or team, or can be accommodated by our workflow (thanx to .fbx format)-then setting a single software for the entire project may not be necessary.

or maybe i am just dull, but it took me 6 years 2 get to where i am at in Maya- so my Max shoes dont just have dust on them,they are cast in concrete. lol
just a suggestion tho. open to opinions,

creatively handling the challenges posed by the usage of different software platforms while retaining a single broad base is going to be part of the test.
but my suggestion is, let the decision of the software of choice be task-based and team-based; as far as it gets the job done and the team is comfortable with it.

i think this phase of the project (recruitment) is kinda slow tho. why is that, i wonder?
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by resichild(m): 1:25am On Sep 26, 2008
Wow!You just realised its been slow.Forgive my sarcasm because i can't help it. I'm funny that way.
@OKX
You are over qualified for ur job already and i am impressed but please make no assumptions that i hadnt taken a lot of that in2 consideration.The fact is posting it here will only do exactly what it is doing now, create more banter and make people lose track of what is supposed to be going on though i must say i dig ur rating technique and i believe from here on everyone down with this project should do the same.
People, lets not get distracted applying is the stage we are in right now.Lets leave the arguments for later eh!These my two backbones You guys are killing me oh!ahah!

Anyway, i think we should also show some stuff here to attract more hands.So i will be mailing the story to the following people who i believe are backing this project up 100%(thanx guys). OKX, A2J, tunslike. please Neikid&jemit i feel You guys but please You have to conform before i can send You guys the story.
@A2J
You also had better conform oh abi You no no say na lead by example
After You receive the story which is short, read it edit if You wish and send ur edited copies back but the action should start as follows
1. The main character should be modelled to have faze's type of face but a very athletic physique.The story will let You set the period so You will know his dress code.we don't have any bonafide 2D artist on board yet so sketches are going to be a problem seeing that OKX rates his 2D art as 6 and tunslike didnt even put 2D and i suck at drawing.
2.Tunslike, read the story and come up with a good forest area for just the first scene.Trees shouldnt be too dense but the ground can be very undulating(hope i used that word right?)At least with a model of the lead character and environment,even if untextured, we can make this thread look more serious
Guys, lets stop yapping and start tapping alright.

Reminder, Jemit and Neikid.Ur stats and breakdown ASAP so that You guys can jump right in2 dance with us. cool cool coolYeah

Almost forgot

YES to project
blogname- resichild
skills: CONCEPTUALISATION(9) PLANNING/MANAGEMENT(8] 2D ART(4) MODELING(8]UV PLACEMENT/TEXTURING(2) RIGGING/ANIMATION(coolPOST PRODUTION(6)
software: 3D MAX8,9(9) bryce6(8},mental ray(5), Fx-home's visual,composite and effects Lab studio(6)
2ND CHOICE- MODELING
current location: lagos
email: concepthaven@yahoo.com
phone: 0803 639 5922
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by Neikid: 7:05am On Sep 26, 2008
Yes to project cool
Blogname: Neikid

skills: conceptualisation(7), P & Mgt(6), Modelling(7), uv placement and texturing(4), Rigging and animation(7)

Preff dept:1st choice Modelling
2nd choice Animation

current location: Kaduna (but i live in lagos)

e-mail:jbr391@yahoo.com

Phone: 08036128584, 07029362827 wink wink
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by Neikid: 11:18am On Sep 26, 2008
@ OKX
hope you dont mind sending me the mag also.

jbr391@yahoo.com
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by Neikid: 11:23am On Sep 26, 2008
just occured to me, i didnt fill in s oftware stat.

software: C4d and photoshop
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by Tunslike: 12:51pm On Sep 26, 2008
Alright Bro, no wahala

Resichild, you havent send the story, is it possible to have it before close of business today cheesy cheesy tunslike got some free time this weekend and wanna take advantage of that cool cool,

later guys wink cheesy cool,
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by A2J(m): 1:20pm On Sep 26, 2008
grin great one guys, but am so sorry i cant write now o, i dey for skool and this fat head teacher won kill man pikin o, say make we come out with our own version of "transformer". am sure you guys don watch the film na.

I will try to give my own info later tonight when i reach house, peace out b4 this man catch me using internet and not designing.
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by resichild(m): 8:12am On Sep 27, 2008
Neikid welcome to the team. You are on modelling duty also.Do any of the models. I will work on the staff
@all
Sorry for not posting for a full day, ran into some nitches. Anyway all of you should have the story in your boxes now along with the list of whose on board so that u can suggest how work is spread.
@A2J
We are still awaitng you info thats why u are not on the list. Lets start moving people wink cheesy grin
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by jemit(m): 10:48am On Sep 27, 2008
OK guys this is my info.

blogname- jemit
skills: CONCEPTUALISATION(cool PLANNING/MANAGEMENT(8] 2D ART(0.5) MODELING(9]UV PLACEMENT/TEXTURING(3) RIGGING/ANIMATION(7)POST PRODUTION(7)
software: Maya 8(9),) Adobe Premiere(8},After Effects(5), Combustion(4),
2ND CHOICE- MODELING
3RD CHOICE- POST PRODUCTION

current location: lagos
email: jemit2002@yahoo.com
phone: 0703 0313260
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by Neikid: 2:05pm On Sep 27, 2008
now we have the story.
are comments/ suggestion here or on a private space

work don start cool
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by zPixel(m): 5:12pm On Sep 27, 2008
This thread is long, when am through reading, i'll be in 2.
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by resichild(m): 9:30pm On Sep 27, 2008
;DWell guys, an updated team list has been sent to ur boxes. We welcome the newest recruit JEMIT. Jemit, may i say welcome to the beginning of 3D Hell for you, no fear sha!
@z-pixel
comeon man, how long will it take u to read the thread. Join the winning team and sign-up as neikid said, work has started

@A2J
Guy, dont let me keep reminding u for ur info cos team list is already circulating and might soon close if we proceed too far ahead.

@Neikid
For now post comments here so we can pump up the thread but pls little details and be straight to the point. No long speeches or emotional crap.Since we all have the story, just refer to the place u want changed, state ur change and state why.
@all
Pls for the love of whichever God u serve nobody should write long drafts cos it deters people from reading and dat way we might drive away potential teammates. angry
Fire On. wink
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by resichild(m): 8:52am On Sep 28, 2008
Just checked for any updates.Whats up?u guys are hooked on the story or what grin grin grin
Get back here ASAP cool
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by Neikid: 1:37pm On Sep 28, 2008
@ resichild
you no dey go church? u dey find update for early sunday morning grin grin grin

i did a model of the demi god, still addin and removing one or two things sha!!
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by OKX(m): 2:04pm On Sep 28, 2008
ok. here goes,

keep i mind that i generally like the story, the following are just my opinions.

if the purpose of this is to create a demo to source funds with, then the challenge is to employ minimum work to maximum effect.
in the story u sent, the bulk of the 'part to be animated' consists of dialogue b/w Akin and the demigod. creating and effectively lip-syncing over 5minutes of dialogue will be near-impossible at this stage, for ur scattered workforce.

i suggest the story begin with a narrator outlining most of the info u provided as background, to their accompanying action on screen. that way, we deal with just one set of audios/sound effects without bothering about lip-synching. we leave the story at the point where the warriors gather for the coup plotting and start the credits/titles- this forms the opening montage for the skit (which needs a name, by the way)

after the introduction of the titles,the scene can then open to Akin strung up on a tree. again we modify the dialogue so that its mainly playing out in his head,then we introduce the demigod who grants him remembrance.
we play a flashback, we use that to depict the coup proper,the betrayal/conviction and sentencing. quick scene flashes can achieve this.
we return to the present, where the demigod offers the deal.
Akin accepts and is whisked to the lair of Onya.
we introduce Onya, a gruesome foe,roaring and snarling- and kill the story at the onset of the first charge.

i can post an adaptation, subject to the final adoption/adaptation of the house.

c'mon guys. mo comments
Re: 3D Graphic Guys And Gals: Wake Up Call by OKX(m): 3:40pm On Sep 28, 2008
@ NEIKID
the workflow order is, first- concept art, then review, then approval, then modeling based on final approved image planes.
the project needs to have an art director to moderate/approve, or else a lot of effort will be wasted and work duplicated and(or) redone.

i appreciate the need for speed tho. lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

My Journey To Being A Professional / Let's Proudly Show Off Mobile Photography... / (PHOTOS) Amazing Photos Of 2015 By Ty-bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.