Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,486 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

Are International Airports In Nigeria Too Small? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are International Airports In Nigeria Too Small? (1817 Views)

All Airports In Nigeria Will Be Shut Sunday Midnight - Aviation Unions / 10 Largest Airports In The World As Seen From Above / Top 10 Signs You’ve Been In Nigeria Too Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are International Airports In Nigeria Too Small? by Constantin: 3:13pm On Jul 08, 2006
Do you think that Lagos International airport needs an expansion or is it ok for the current traffic?

Considering the fact that many new airlines are coming to Lagos or increasing their frequencies , I personally think that our international airport is too small in order to catch up with the growing traffic. The CEO of Virgin Nigeria said that the carrier will have around 45 planes from its current 8 by 2010. where should they all park? US airlines want to come to Nigeria, too. Our international aiport has just got 14 aprons in Lagos. There is a new domestic terminal that will open soon, but don´t you agree that Virgin Nigeria needs its own terminal (6-7 additional aprons to the existing 14 will be Ok.)

Moreover, I think that Abuja and Port Harcourt airport should also be upgraded. smiley
Re: Are International Airports In Nigeria Too Small? by exu(m): 7:47pm On Jul 08, 2006
I'm sure that this will all happen with the inevitable increase in foreign investment.
Re: Are International Airports In Nigeria Too Small? by Badman888(m): 9:05pm On Jul 08, 2006
I dont think there is any need to increase it now, because the traffic isnt that much, but probably in the future. What they should do rite now is to renovate the inside and get new equipments.
Re: Are International Airports In Nigeria Too Small? by Hunter(m): 5:13am On Jul 09, 2006
They need to fix the current ones before expanding, the runway is in pathetic condition (at lagos)
Re: Are International Airports In Nigeria Too Small? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:10am On Jul 10, 2006
yup i think they definately need upgrading. And infact they need to build more domestic airports becuase i think the traffic levels are actually increasing,
And if Flights from North America start coming to Nigeria directly that will be phenominal and definately increase revenue
Re: Are International Airports In Nigeria Too Small? by my2cents(m): 7:17pm On Jul 11, 2006
First step should be to improve what we already have, b4 we expand. Having said that, taking MMIA for instnace, it is definitely small. From my circle of friends, there are tons of pple who would want to come home regularly. However, most flights arrive at night and flights in general are not as many as they would like.

A country like Nigeria should be able to boast of a bigger airport that takes a lot of traffic. No single flight that I know of, especially during xmas time, from atlanta to naija (via europe) is ever even .001% empty. We also for whatever reason seem not to mind paying the exhorbitant rates associated with the high season. In my opinion, we should be able to at least match by 1/4th Atlanta's airport that handles 2 take-offs and landings per minute.

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: Are International Airports In Nigeria Too Small? by MrSmith1: 2:29am On Jul 19, 2006

Wow!!! Am I the only one who thinks the MMIA should be expanded? Here are my reasons:

- As someone mentioned earlier, if VN is to have 40+ airlines by 2010, construction needs to start now.
- Nigeria (Lagos in particular) really should vie for the the position of Aviation hub of Africa. There really is no reason why any ultra long-haul flight coming to Africa can't stop by Nigeria. If not for anything, to refuel. After all we have large reserves.
- Our international terminal with 2 baggage carrasels(sp?) is WAY under capacity for the number of simultaneous flights that come in.
- Customs/Immigration needs more room to process passengers coming into the country.
- VIP movements really hamper movement at the airports especially during peak period. Quite frankly I think there are too many "VIP's" who disrupt the lives of many at the airport. Blocking departures with their convoys, delaying flights because they aren't on the plane yet etc,

I am glad they took the initiative to build an airport hotel. The revenue alone from airlines who will lodge their crew there prior to the departing flight will be a great boost to the airport.
Re: Are International Airports In Nigeria Too Small? by Constantin: 3:24pm On Jul 23, 2006
MMIA certainly needs a major expansion. I also feel ashamed when I arrive in Lagos due to the small airport CONSIDERING OUR COUNTRY´S POTENTIAL ECONOMIC STATUS. Here is Jo burg´s airport. It is state of the art and 21 world. MMIA was ice in the 70´s when it was built but we are in 2006. The airport needs an expansion.

JOBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria To Usa Direct (no Stopping Over, Halleluyah Amen! / Entering Into Canada With US Visa. / Traveling To UK- Police Clearance Report And Medical Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.