Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,584 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

Salat Questions - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Salat Questions (19727 Views)

Common Mistake Made During Salat / 12 Tips To Boost Your Salat / A Thread on Correcting Errors Made in Salat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salat Questions by Abuzola(m): 11:29pm On May 13, 2009
And what about the hadith that says when d imam is delivering khutbah one should quickly do two rakat
Re: Salat Questions by Lagosboy: 9:15am On May 14, 2009
Abuzola:

And what about the hadith that says when d imam is delivering khutbah one should quickly do two rakat

I did state that i could not remember the exact explantion of that hadith but i vividly remember there was an intepretation based on cricumstance hence the ruling of no salah during khutbah by imam Malik and abu Hanifa (RA) , However i will search for it as what i wrote was just from the top of my head. The hadiths is i think reported in the sahihain(Bukhari wa muslim) and i will inshallah come back on that.
Re: Salat Questions by Abuzola(m): 5:06pm On May 14, 2009
alright may Allah enrich u amin, i raise dis question because sunni clerics said nafila is obligatory before sitting
Re: Salat Questions by Abuzola(m): 5:11pm On May 14, 2009
If we can recall, in a hadith d prophet said when u enter a mosque do not sit till u observe nafila, Allah knows best
Re: Salat Questions by babs787(m): 8:04pm On May 14, 2009
Salam

I support Lagosboy with regards to the schools but let us read more here and would come in when less busy
http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=2274&CATE=122
Re: Salat Questions by Abuzola(m): 8:39pm On May 14, 2009
there is no substancial proof backing that u should sit while khutbah, if there is provide it
Re: Salat Questions by babs787(m): 6:39pm On May 17, 2009
there is no substancial proof backing that u should sit while khutbah, if there is provide it

Yes.

The hadith quoted by Babs narrated by Jabir was explained by scholars of fiqh that there was a reason why the prophet asked that man to stand up as it was not the general norm of the sahabas to do salah during the khutbah. The reason was that the prophet (PBUH) wanted to bring peoples attention tho this man so they could help him as he was poor and his clothes would give away his situation immediately and some shabas could be of help. The other hadiths were also explained which i cant remember right now if i will be honest. The book Fatih'bari by ibn hajar Alasqalani will definately do justice to the explanation of the hadith in Bukhari.

With regards to zayhal's post, I thing we are mixing nawafil with prayer of greeting the mosque( tahayyatul masjid). I agree that you must not observe nawafil or any prayer tafter the Imam has mounted the pulpit but prayer of greeting the mosque is very important and compulsory as well whether the Imam has started sermon or not and if he has, you should make it short as said by the holy prophet.

Many Muslims do not pray the prayer to greet the mosque. Some if they enter when the Imam is giving the sermon, sit down and do not pray it. Its a mistake. It has been proven that the prophet commanded every person that enters the mosque to perform a two unit prayer even if he has sat down.

Jabir Ibn Abdullah narrated that Sulaik Al-Ghatafani entered on Friday while the messenger of Allah was delivering the sermon. He sat down, so the holy prophet said to him, 'oh Sulaik, stand and perform a two unit prayer and make them short'. He then said, 'when any of you comes On Friday and the Imam is delivering the sermon, he should perform tow units and should make them short'.

Imam An-Nawawi said, 'all these Hadith support the opinion of Ash-Shafi, Ahmad, Ishaq and the Scholars of hadith that are versed in Fiqh. If someone enters the mosque on friday while Imam is delivering the sermon, he is recommended to perform the two units called Mosque greeting prayer and it is reprehensive to sit down without performing them. People are also recommended to make them short so that they can listen to the sermon'.

One has to perform it even after sitting down if he did not know it was commanded. The Shafi scholars stated that sitting down prevents one from performing the prayer, to greet the mosque. This statement refers to one who knows its recommendation, while someone who does not know has to make it up as soon as he can as indicated in the hadith.

However:

Some people related on the Hadith narrated by Ibn Omar that the prophet said, 'when anyone of you enters the mosque while the Imam is on the pulpit, delivering sermon, he should not perform prayer or speak until the Imam ends the sermon'.

This hadith is very weak due to Ayyub Ibn Nuhaik whose narration is rejected.

I stand to be corrected as we are all learning please.

Maa Salam
Re: Salat Questions by Lagosboy: 11:53am On May 18, 2009
Salam Babs and jazakallah for your response again.

The link you posted above on sunni path i think just corroborated the explanation i gave ealier as regards the schools. Hanafi and Maliki says no and Hambali and Shafii says yes perform the salah.

The nawafil i am also referring to is the tahiyatul masjid and not just a general naflah as that is clearly not permissible and i thinkk i stated it in my earlier post as well. Here is extract from the answered question on sunni path.

Both the Hanbali and Shafi?i schools state that it is recommended for a latecomer to the Friday prayer to pray the 2 rakats for greeting the mosque even if the Imam is giving the khutba (Friday sermon). The Hanafi and Maliki schools however consider this to be an impermissible act.

The former two schools take as a basis for this ruling the hadith of Jabir ibn ?Abdullah found in Sahih Muslim that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said ?When of you comes on Friday and the imam has come out [to give the khutba] then let him pray two rakats?. In addition there is the hadith also related by Jabir ibn ?Abdullah that is found in sahih al-Bukhari that ?A man came whilst the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) was delivering the khutba on Friday so he said ?Have you prayed O so-and-so??. The man replied ?No?. The Prophet said ?Stand and pray two rakats?.

Despite the seemingly clear indication of the two aforementioned rigorously authenticated hadiths, the Hanafis and Malikis deemed it impermissible to pray during the khutba. They based this ruling on a number of considerations some of which are mentioned below. The followed discussion is largely taken from the two great commentaries on Sahih al-Bukhari; Faid al-Bari by Imam al-Kashmiri [2:238, Maktaba Haqqania] and ?Umdat al-Qari by Imam al-?Ayni [6:230, Bulaq].

Despite the above two hadiths, it is transmitted from the majority of the early Muslims from the Sahaba, including Umar, Uthman and Ali, and the Tabi?in that they did not deem it permissible to pray during the khutba. This was mentioned by Imam al-Nawawi in his commentary on Sahih Muslim quoting Qadi Iyad from his own commentary on Sahih Muslim, whilst Imam al-Nawawi only named ?al-Hasan al-Basri and others? from the early Muslims as following the Shafi?i opinion. [al-Minhaj Sharh Sahih Muslim ibn al-Hajjaj, 6: 400. Dar al-Ma?rifa] In addition, not praying during the khutba was the practice of the people of Madina [?amal ahl al-Madina] which is a mutawatir practical transmission from the Sahaba to the Tabi?in of Madina to the Tabi? al-Tabi?in upon which Imam Malik based his school.

The fact that the majority of the early community where not applying what is indicated by these hadiths does not mean that they were somehow going against the prophetic guidance. Rather it indicates that they understood from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) that one was not to pray in that time, based on sayings of the Prophet and other considerations not all of which have necessarily been transmitted to us. This is why the practice of the early community is seen as a source of law in itself as their practice was a practical transmission of knowledge, just as their teaching hadiths was an oral transmission of knowledge.

The issue of the hadith narrated by Jabir i tried to explain here is a more detailed explantion from the site as well
.[b] Other versions mention that he was a very poor man and did not have decent clothes to wear to the Friday prayer, and in some versions he had hardly any clothing, so the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) told him to stand and pray so that everybody could see his poverty and give him some charity. Versions to this effect are mentioned in the Musnad and by Ibn Hibban in his sahih, Imam al-Tahawi and Al-Nasa?i in his sunan who mentioned this version under the heading ?urging to charity? seeing as it was the key lesson to be gained from the incident. Of these hadiths is the one mentioned by Al-Nasa?i from Abu Sa?id al-Khudri that ?a shabbily dressed man came on Friday and the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) was giving the khutba so the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) said to him ?Have you prayed?? He said ?No.? [The Prophet] said ?Pray two rak?ats?. The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) then urged people to give charity [during the khutba]. They gave the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) a number of items of clothing of which two were given to the man, ?[[/b]to the end of the hadith]

The various versions might seem contradictory as some indicate that the khutba had started, was paused for the man to finish praying and then continued, whilst others indicate that it had not yet started. Badr al-?Alam al-Mirtahi in al-Badr al-Sari a supercommentary on Faid al-Bari mentions that what must have happened, joining between the various versions, is that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) was seated on the pulpit about to deliver the khutba when the man walked in. Upon seeing his poverty stricken state he withheld from starting the khutba and told the man to pray so that everybody present would see him. He (Allah bless him and give him peace) waited for the man to finish and then started with the khutba in which he urged people to give in charity resulting in the man being given some items of clothing. As for the hadiths that mention that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) was delivering the khutba when the man came, the reporters of those hadiths must have meant that he was in the act of delivering the khutba in that he was on the pulpit and was just about to start, and this is a figurative usage of the verb ?he is delivering the khutba? [yakhtubu] that the Arabic verb can be used to indicate. [al-Badr al-Sari ila Faid al-Bari, 2:341, Maktaba Haqqania]

4.2 There are many hadiths that make mention of people coming late to the Friday prayer without any indication that they prayed two rakats to greet the mosque or were told to do so. These hadiths include the following:

i. Imam al-Bukhari relates on the authority of Abdullah ibn Umar that ?While Umar ibn al-Khattab was standing delivering the khutba on Friday a man from the first of the Emigrants from the companions of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) came in. So Umar called to him ?What hour is this?? He said ?I was busied so I did not return to my family until I heard the call to prayer so I did not do more than performing the ablution (wudu)? [Umar] said ?And ablution as well? And you know that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) used to enjoin performing the purificatory bath (ghusl).?

@ Abu zola ,

Fiqh is dynamic and interesting and when you study islam deeply especially fiqh you would appreciate the beauty and hardowrk of earlier scholars in tapping from ocean of knowledge to present us with all what we have today. Many issues in fiqh we have ikhtilaf (difference of opinion) and it has to be respected. In the field of hadith sciences it is we ignorant people that just read the hadith literally and make a judgement on it but in the field they look at many issues before making a rule out of it. The issues i am talking abt here is not even its authenticity as that is a diefferent subject in hadith sciences but issues like which duration did the prophet say this, are there any narration that says something opposite, how did the sahabas and early muslims understand this hadith, any quaric verse opposing it?,why exactly did the prophet say this , Was his statement circumstantial or was there a particular events preceding it and a host of other things.

This particular issue Imam Malik and Abu hanifa held on to the understanding of the early muslims and sahabas in making their ruling and also based on other hadiths and interpretaion of the hadih.

Wallahu a'lam
Re: Salat Questions by Abuzola(m): 1:33pm On May 20, 2009
Barakallahu fih@babs and lagosman, frm d lecture, Frm d lecture 2 unit of prayer for d mosque greeting is compulsory,
Re: Salat Questions by ronkeenuf(f): 3:10pm On Jun 04, 2009
Please help answer these questions, May Allah increase us all in knowlwdge, Amin

How loud should a female observe solat?

Does someone's lips have to be moving when observing zhur and asr?

From all I've been reading,Nawafils and some other non obligatory prayers like the one you say to great the mosque, are very important. What should someone who can only manage to say the obligatory solats because of work constraint do?

I pray very slowly, I can't help it, is this why I get distracted (thoughts wise) alot during solat? If so or if not, what should I do?

Maa salam
Re: Salat Questions by Lagosboy: 5:15pm On Jun 04, 2009
ronkeenuf:

Please help answer these questions, May Allah increase us all in knowlwdge, Amin

How loud should a female observe solat?

A female's voice should be minimal to that only her ill hear what she is reciting.

ronkeenuf:

Does someone's lips have to be moving when observing zhur and asr?

Your lips have to certainly move and there is nothing like reciting the verses in your mind your lips has to move.

From all I've been reading,Nawafils and some other non obligatory prayers like the one you say to great the mosque, are very important. What should someone who can only manage to say the obligatory solats because of work constraint do?

Nawafils are acts that move one closer to God. A muslim is encouraged to perform them to increase his/her spirituality and more reward.  It depends on your work hours but certainly 2 rakahs extra sometimes shouldnt be a big problem. You could perform nawafil after isha prayers. maghrib oor you could even wake up in the night to perform tahajud. Try to manage your time well and you will realise you have some free 5-10 mins to perform nawafil prayers. However like we said nawafil arent compulsory but encouraged for a muslim. Also try to spend in charity, community work as these are all nawafil acts and not just salah.

I pray very slowly, I can't help it, is this why I get distracted (thoughts wise) alot during solat? If so or if not, what should I do?

There is no one person here that can say his/her concentration during salah is 100% , we all strive and try to and the reward lies in the sincere effort. Praying slowly isnt bad as rushing the prayer is bad. praying slowly in moderation should aid concentration and not distract it. The prophet recommended we treat each salah like its the last before we meet our Lord but unfortunately only few people do including myself. We are all striving may Allah grant us the tawfeeq to increase and perform sincere ibadah to him

Wallahu a'lam
Re: Salat Questions by ronkeenuf(f): 12:47pm On Jun 05, 2009
@Lagosboy jazakumLahkhairan, May Allah reward you in abundance. Maa Salam
Re: Salat Questions by afix(m): 12:34pm On Jul 22, 2009
SALAM ALEKUN,
I need somebody to shed more light on this salat issue that happen during my national diploma.The Imam after reciting surat Fathia,then proceed to the recitation of another surat,then in the course of recitation he went to SUJUD instead of RUKU,after this he stand upright to conclude the continuation of the surat and then went to RUKU and then SUJUD.
After the completion of the solat,a question was raise on why he went to SUJUD.The answer he gave us was that after reciting some certain AYAH IN THE QURAN,one need to SUJUD.Since then i have been observing if i could see anyone who will observe solat this way.MAY ALMIGHTY ALLAH INCREASE OUR WISDOM OF UNDERSTANDING.
MA SALAM
Re: Salat Questions by ronkeenuf(f): 1:34pm On Jul 24, 2009
I have also experienced it, there are some ayat in the quran which when read, the reader and the listeners, if read aloud, would prostrate(sujuud). the kind of Quran I read has commentaries, I once read a part and the comments to that ayat explains that one should do sujuud afterwards. what I'm not 100% sure is if one should do sujuud when ayats like that are read during solat. Ma salaam
Re: Salat Questions by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 13, 2009
My dear Muslim brothers and sisters,am so pleased with your contribution on this thread,may ALMIGHTY ALLAH bless you all.

i wanna ask,could anyone write me the prayers one needs to say when one enters masjid,and also do i have to say SOLATIL(PRAYERS TO THE PROPHETS) on a two or three rakat,cos i always say it on every rakat,thanks alot,Asalamu Alekum
Re: Salat Questions by Abuzola(m): 11:20pm On Oct 13, 2009
Prayer for entering mosque: Bismilahi rahmanil rahim, A'huzu billahil azim, wabi waj hi'hil karim, wa sultaanihil qadeem min shaytanil rajeem, bismilahi wassalatu wassalam ala rasulihi, Allahumma iftahli Alwaaba rahmatik

Translation: I seek refuge from God the greatest and His beautiful/tiding face, and His everlasting reign from satan the acursed. In the name of Allah the most gracious and His messenger, oh Allah open the doors of mercy for me.

For Tashahad, i don't know what you are saying, elaborate
Re: Salat Questions by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 13, 2009
i mean the ALLAHUMA SOLI ALA,MUHAMMAD ALA,ALI MUHAMMAD
KAMA SOLAETA ALA,IBRAHIM, WA ALA,ALI IBRAHIM
INNAKA HAMEEDUN MOJEED.

ALLAHUMA,BARIK ALA,MUHAMMAD WA ALA,ALI MUHAMMAD
KAMA BARAKTA ALA IBRAHIM WA ALA ALI IBRAHIM
INNAKA HAMEEDUN MAJEED.then teslim

i just wanna know if am to say it after ATTAHIYAT on completion of solat be it 2 ,3, 0r four rakat
Re: Salat Questions by Abuzola(m): 11:35pm On Oct 13, 2009
On prostrating while recithng in solah (solat), to me is wrong because you have added to the solat which equate to Addition therefore after the solah you are required to perform ba'adi (ba'adiyah) for addition. ALLAH knows best.

Prostrating is good,
sahih bukhari, hadith 556

'Narrated Ibn umar (R.T.A) said,'when the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H) recited a surah that contained the prostration he would prostrate and we would do the same thing and some of us (because of the heavy rush) could not find a place for our foreheads'
Re: Salat Questions by Abuzola(m): 11:48pm On Oct 13, 2009
Like you know, Tahiyya is done at second rakat and fourth rakat, it is not Tashahadu but Solatil ibrahimiya or Muhammad, and it is done at second and fourth sitting after recitation of tahiyya. Though no sin and no offence if you don't recite it but like you know for every sunnah there is a reward and God will definitely reward you specially for it (reciting it)
Re: Salat Questions by Abuzola(m): 11:51pm On Oct 13, 2009
Not to forget, magrib prayer is 3 raka'a, therefore tahiyyah for second and 3rd raka'a the same thing goes with solatil ibrahimiya or muhammad
Re: Salat Questions by Nobody: 11:55pm On Oct 13, 2009
@Abuzola, yeah, i do on magrib 3rakat too,thanks alot May ALLAH reward you cool
Re: Salat Questions by Empiree: 2:03pm On Jan 28, 2015
ayinba1:
Thanks everyone.

My little girl runs head on into me during prayers and I let out an audible "ouch" (Yes it hurt), Does this nullify the salat? Do I need to start over? Thank you.
This reminds me when i was growing up. I led salat ishai with my siblings. My dad wanted to know if we prayed yet. This was in a little prayer room within the house.

So we were in prayer session when my dad shouted from living room "are you children praying yet?". As 'imam', i replied in the session "we are praying right now" grin grin grin . I didn't realize nor did i stop the prayer. After we finished, my sister asked "did you just talk in the midst of salah?"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Pilgrim Dies In Saudi Arabia / What's Islam View On Mouth Action? / Tips To Win The Heart OF A Muslim Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.