Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,459 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

Purgatory - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Purgatory (1265 Views)

Is Purgatory In The Bible? / Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? / Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Purgatory by Busta(f): 3:37pm On Jul 10, 2006
What is Purgatory and does it really exists??

is it an excuse to sin and repent again??
Re: Purgatory by feelgood(m): 2:51pm On Oct 17, 2006
Purgatory is a temporary place (the Catholics would have us believe), where those who die in their sins
are put to suffer temporary punishment before they are permitted to enter heaven - especially when
members have been praying to God to have mercy on the hapless soul.

Does it exist? No, if we go by the bible standard.

There are EITHER of 2 places one goes after death: HEAVEN OR HELL! When one dies a sinner, no amount
of prayers by any one (saint or priest) will make God change the location of such from hell to heaven - Luke 16:19 - 31

But then, it is possible for a sinner to change his/her destination while he is yet alive - because, really that decision
is his and his alone to make. How? Simple. Just 5 easy steps:

1. Recognise you are a sinner in dire need of a savior. Romans 3:23; 6: 23
2. Confess your sins to GOD. 1John1:9
3. Repent (ie turn away) from those sins and ask GOD to help you through HIS grace to keep away from the same. Acts 3:19
4. Believe that GOD loves you - HE actually does - that's why JESUS had to die on the cross. Romans 5:8
5. Invite JESUS into your life through the prayer of faith. Revelations 3:20

Okay, maybe then one can take that decision when one is old and ready to die. Perhaps. But who knows WHEN (s)he will die?
Should one die before he takes that decision, won't God understand? Nope, HE won't.

What then? It's one's choice. Always been. Free world. I suggest now - since NOBODY knows what will happen the next minute.
I believe that is smarter. I trust you would agree.

I hope I've answered your question wink

Be cool.
Re: Purgatory by Drusilla(f): 5:38am On Oct 18, 2006
A belief in Purgatory is based mostly on this verse:

Luk 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

But also on this verse:

1Jo 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Thus the bible seems to show that there are different punishments for different persons.

Of course when you add in God's charecter, it is sickening that people teach that Hitler who killed millions of persons only gets the same punishment as an Indian who never heard the gospel.

Of course Hitlers punishment will be worse and of course the Indian will be judged by what he knew, not what he did not know.
Re: Purgatory by debosky(m): 5:54am On Oct 18, 2006
Drusilla:

Thus the bible seems to show that there are different punishments for different persons.

Of course when you add in God's charecter, it is sickening that people teach that Hitler who killed millions of persons only gets the same punishment as an Indian who never heard the gospel.

Of course Hitlers punishment will be worse and of course the Indian will be judged by what he knew, not what he did not know.

Well i do not know about 'different punishments' but if one has the opportunity to accept the gospel and doesn't, he will not go into God's kingdom, as far as what i know, I really do not know the fate of those who did not hear the gospel, so i am inclined to believe there might be some truth in your final statement

now, lets consider the case of me (God forbid) going to hell because i didnt accept the salvation God offered.

to your thinking right now, it may make a difference, but if i'm burning at 1,000 degrees celsius and another guy(say Hitler) is burning at 20,000 degrees celsius, do you think i'll feel i have a 'better deal' or my own case isn't so bad? its all the same in the end - you're in hell - stage 1 or stage 100 (if such exists)

we don't have detailed specifications of what heaven and hell entail so it would be mere conjecture to speculate beyond what is in the bible (the source I respect)

sorry for the offpoint post, s to the puratory question, i don't believe it exists, but there are still some unclear issues (to me at least) as to what happens when we die and leave this earth
Re: Purgatory by feelgood(m): 11:39am On Oct 18, 2006
@Drusilla
I don't seem to understand your post. Are you saying that purgatory is real?
If it is, then perhaps people have a good load of excuse to continue in sin since there is every
likelihood that in the end they will make heaven- what matters is that your sins are not 'very serious'.

But then what is the yardstick of measuring heinous and 'lesser' sins? James 2: 10 - 12 is particularly revealing.
Does God judge by the standards of man? If that is so, then we will need to re-visit the
judgement on Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5:1 - 11) when you contrast the same to the mercy on
Manasseh (2Chronicles 33) - I speak as one without understanding.

However , a careful study of Romans 9 is illuminating.

I reiterate, the doctrine of purgatory has no scriptural basis. The passages you quoted do not support
purgatory.

@debosky
Romans 2:12 - 16 gives a clear indication of how those who did not have the privilege of hearing the gospel
will be judged.
What happens when we die and leave the earth? There are different postulations by varied people using
varied sources to back themselves up. But there cannot be different truths about one issue. Only one is
genuine. I stand on the BIBLE TRUTH - WHEN WE DIE AND LEAVE THE EARTH, WE OPEN OUR EYES IN HEAVEN OR
HELL.( Where exactly has already been tackled earlier).
Why am I so sure? That will take another thread. This thread is on purgatory and I do feel uncomfortable digressing.

Be cool.
Re: Purgatory by Drusilla(f): 1:54pm On Oct 18, 2006
Feelgood,

I do not know if purgatory is real or not. I am just showing the scriptures that show various beatings or rewards for different people.

This is the idea of purgatory and that idea is real and biblical.

Your verses seem to support what I believe:

Rom 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
Rom 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one anotherwink
Rom 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

There is a law for those who are naturally better than the rest of us. Another law is said to kick in there. The law written in their hearts.

Anasias and Sapphira were not said to be sent to hell? Were they? If so then we all go to hell because we will all die.
Re: Purgatory by Drusilla(f): 1:56pm On Oct 18, 2006
It's not some crazy catholic belief, there are scriptures that can support the idea of various or individualised responses friom God to each person.
Re: Purgatory by sstar(f): 10:48pm On Oct 19, 2006
i don't believe there's anything like purgatory.when u die ,u return to dust,where u shall wait for judgement and either go to heaven or hell.
Re: Purgatory by EdetOkon: 6:16pm On Nov 28, 2009
Check 1 cor. 3:10-15(purification by fire).

Does anyone remember what Jesus said about the sin against the Holy Spirit and what He said after that? So where is this other world where the Sin against the Holy Spirit cannot be forgiven and other sins can be forgiven. Is it Heaven, I doubt, the Bible states clearly that no unclean thing will enter Heaven.

Discover the Jewish Jesus, Become a Messianic Jew.

Hanukkah is coming soon, get ready.
Re: Purgatory by mamagee3(f): 6:21pm On Nov 28, 2009
The Catholics believe it exists!!! undecided
I don't
. cool
Re: Purgatory by Nobody: 6:48pm On Nov 28, 2009
1 Peter 3:19; 4:6 - Jesus preached to the spirits in the "prison." These are the righteous souls being purified for the beatific vision.

I wonder where this prison is and why Jesus should try to convert those that have already died.

Even in 1 cor 15:29

we see paul talking about baptism of the dead.

The books of macabees was one of the seven books removed from the bible in1885 by the protestants because there it was explicitly staated that they dead can be prayed for.

To see more on purgatory see the link below

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/purgatory.html
Re: Purgatory by saraj(f): 7:04pm On Nov 28, 2009
I cannot comprehend how a person with
a driving conviction (but was otherwise good)
face the same punishment as a serial killer.

So you non Catholics think that is justified??

Of course purgatory exists.
Re: Purgatory by Abuzola11(m): 7:06pm On Nov 28, 2009
The bible is nothing but a scam
Re: Purgatory by TheClown: 6:02pm On Oct 12, 2010
Most christians are like the 'six blind men of hindustan' who went to observe the elephant.

THE BLIND MEN AND THE ELEPHANT
I.
It was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.

II.
The First approached the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl:
"God bless me!-but the Elephant
Is very like a wall!"

III.
The Second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried: "Ho!-what have we here
So very round and smooth and sharp?
To me't is mighty clear
This wonder of an Elephant
Is very like a spear!"

IV.
The Third approached the animal,
And happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up and spake:
"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant
Is very like a snake!"

V.
The Fourth reached out his eager hand,
And felt about the knee.
"What most this wondrous beast is like
Is mighty plain," quoth he;
"'Tis clear enough the Elephant
Is very like a tree!"

VI.
The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said: "E'en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an Elephant
Is very like a fan!"

VII.
The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Than, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope,
"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant
Is very like a rope!"

VIII.
And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

MORAL.
So, oft in theologic wars
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean,
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen!

Acquiring knowledge of a part and rejecting the whole even put forward with proves.
Re: Purgatory by knowledge4(m): 10:50am On Apr 17, 2012
There is no Purgatory anywhere
The Catholics too are a false Christian group that have too many distorted versions of the true doctrines of the Bible. There are at least 30 of them but i will state three of the false doctrines here

1)The Catholics believe that there is a place called Purgatory after death,which exists for the expiation of the venial sins of believers. That the souls detained in Purgatory can be helped by the suffrages of the Catholic faithful (Creed of Pope Pius IV.Art 6)
That the souls that will go to Purgatory are those who ''depart with venial sins or that have not fully paid the debt of temporal punishment...''(The Cathechism 107)
The Bible refuttal is in 1 John 1:7,John1:29,Acts 4:12 which affirms very clearly that there is only one mode of expiation which is by the Blood of Jesus Christ.

2)The Catholics believe that some sins do not deserve the wrath of God.They claim that such sins are venial sins and do not incur spiritual death to the soul.their examples of ''venial sins'' include lying and stealing small things.(Dens Theologia,tom 1&e Peccatis No.154)
The Bible states that every sin deserves the wrath of God(Romans 6:23)(Gal 3:10)(Ezekiel 18:20)
Revelation 21:8 states that all liars will have their part in the lake of fire

3)The Catholics believe that the Church of Rome is infallible,that ''the Pope cannot err and is infallible in defining matters of faith and morals...''.The dogma of Papal infallibility was defined at the Vatican Council which states that anyone contradicting this is a heretic.(Pope Pius X Compedium)(Cathechism of the Council of Trent,Ques Xvii,Part 1,p.100.

The Bible states that no person or church on earth is infallible.(Ezekiel 7:26)(Isaiah 56:10)(Acts 20:29-30)(1Tim4:12)(Matthew 15:14)(2 Thess 2:3-4)

Submission: The Catholics are a false christian sect which doctrines are at variance with the doctrines of the true christian faith.If any Catholic can dispute the facts above with solidly grounded and undeniable facts devoid of sentiments,you are welcome.
Re: Purgatory by knowledge4(m): 10:50am On Apr 17, 2012
There is no Purgatory anywhere
The Catholics too are a false Christian group that have too many distorted versions of the true doctrines of the Bible. There are at least 30 of them but i will state three of the false doctrines here

1)The Catholics believe that there is a place called Purgatory after death,which exists for the expiation of the venial sins of believers. That the souls detained in Purgatory can be helped by the suffrages of the Catholic faithful (Creed of Pope Pius IV.Art 6)
That the souls that will go to Purgatory are those who ''depart with venial sins or that have not fully paid the debt of temporal punishment...''(The Cathechism 107)
The Bible refuttal is in 1 John 1:7,John1:29,Acts 4:12 which affirms very clearly that there is only one mode of expiation which is by the Blood of Jesus Christ.

2)The Catholics believe that some sins do not deserve the wrath of God.They claim that such sins are venial sins and do not incur spiritual death to the soul.their examples of ''venial sins'' include lying and stealing small things.(Dens Theologia,tom 1&e Peccatis No.154)
The Bible states that every sin deserves the wrath of God(Romans 6:23)(Gal 3:10)(Ezekiel 18:20)
Revelation 21:8 states that all liars will have their part in the lake of fire

3)The Catholics believe that the Church of Rome is infallible,that ''the Pope cannot err and is infallible in defining matters of faith and morals...''.The dogma of Papal infallibility was defined at the Vatican Council which states that anyone contradicting this is a heretic.(Pope Pius X Compedium)(Cathechism of the Council of Trent,Ques Xvii,Part 1,p.100.

The Bible states that no person or church on earth is infallible.(Ezekiel 7:26)(Isaiah 56:10)(Acts 20:29-30)(1Tim4:12)(Matthew 15:14)(2 Thess 2:3-4)

Submission: The Catholics are a false christian sect which doctrines are at variance with the doctrines of the true christian faith.If any Catholic can dispute the facts above with solidly grounded and undeniable facts devoid of sentiments,you are welcome.

(1) (Reply)

God Has Done Me Well In 2006, What About You? / Please Dont Watch Bad Romance By Lady Gaga At Night / 3 silly Things That Nairaland Christians Do (OK, Some Of Them)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.