Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,816 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

Did Surnames Exist Before The Pre-colonial Era? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Did Surnames Exist Before The Pre-colonial Era? (1096 Views)

How Did Nigerians React To Colonial Masters During Colonial Era / Does Anyone Know How/why So Many People From Rivers State Have English Surnames / Colonial Era Pictures Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Surnames Exist Before The Pre-colonial Era? by kayasmith: 3:31pm On Sep 24, 2008
Hi Guys,
I was just curiousand felt i ask if anyone knows if surname exist before the pre-colonial era. I will really love to hear from you guys.

Cheers,
'Kayode
Re: Did Surnames Exist Before The Pre-colonial Era? by bawomolo(m): 6:06pm On Sep 24, 2008
no but the names of family houses and clans existed though
Re: Did Surnames Exist Before The Pre-colonial Era? by echelon(m): 6:29pm On Sep 24, 2008
If you are asking whether the term "surname" existed, the answer is NO. Back then individuals are identified by their father's name e.g. In Igbo culture Emeka(firstname) Nwejike(surname) would be addressed thus: Emeka nwa Ejike (Emeka the son of Ejike) similar to English's McGregor (son of Gregor)
Re: Did Surnames Exist Before The Pre-colonial Era? by tpia: 7:30pm On Sep 24, 2008
Re: Did Surnames Exist Before The Pre-colonial Era? by tamme: 11:47pm On Jul 13, 2009

(1) (Reply)

7 Things I Don't Like Nigerians.... / Is The Oba Of Benin Dead? (my Investigation) / Why Are Nigerians Jealous Of Somali Beauty?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.