Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? (10836 Views)

Read All Nigerian Newspaper For Free...updated Daily / Nigerian Newspaper Sacks Editor Who Asked For His Right‏ / All Nigeria Newspaper Headlines In One Place (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by Oracle(m): 2:35am On Apr 08, 2006
I love the sun

Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by Ndipe(m): 2:50am On Apr 08, 2006
When I lived in Nigeria, I liked reading Vanguard and Weekend Concord. Those were those days

What of magazines? My favorite was Quality Magazine, a defunct sister publication of Newswatch magazine.
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by Seun(m): 3:12am On Apr 08, 2006
Wednesday Guardian is now dead, as far a I am concerned.
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by dafman(m): 1:24pm On Apr 08, 2006
I've always liked the punch i practically grew up with it, i've not seen my dad with any other paper.

My other favourites are Guardian and Thisday
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by shockreaction(m): 1:57pm On Apr 08, 2006
Compulife in the Guardian became useless after the advertisers stopped publishing prices in the ads.
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by Wadosky(m): 12:40pm On Apr 09, 2006
Guardian is the best.The quality in general is superb.Sun is also good.
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by Blue2(m): 5:28pm On Apr 09, 2006
My best paper is the guardian newspaper without a doubt. I love the columns especially abati on friday and sunday! the cartoons are something else that obe ess guy is a whizz!!
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by blueiyke(m): 10:10am On Apr 10, 2006
Because of their way of reporting,I just love Sun.But career-wise,Tuesday and Thursday Guardians is my pick of the pack.
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by gentleaura(m): 4:19am On Apr 11, 2006
Blue2:

My best paper is the guardian newspaper without a doubt. I love the columns especially abati on friday and sunday! the cartoons are something else that obe ess guy is a whizz!!

Yes o Reuben Abati on tuesdays and sundays, dang u aint got no job, than to start bringing out the "hard" words and start looking for the meaning, perceive what he's trying to do and earn urself a good ride to school for the week, lol good old times!
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by HUSH2(m): 5:54am On Apr 11, 2006
Abati's a friend to one of my lecturers. I love guardian but my old man buys punch
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by queen2(f): 3:19pm On Apr 11, 2006
THE PUNCH
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by Seun(m): 3:42pm On Apr 12, 2006
Let's be sincere, Nigerian newspapers are very boring. The adverts for jobs, computer parts, houses and so on are probably more interesting than most articles? Anyone who feels me?
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by diyobdw(f): 4:36pm On Apr 12, 2006
i do feel you one this one. angry
do u believe that after a press breifing 70% pressmen wrote the content of the product write-up and flyers they where given word for word.
Creative level in news writing has far as i know is poor even the soft sell magazine too(expect True love)
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by kellorah: 3:28pm On Apr 25, 2006
punch! because ma dad used to get it and it had bare funny cartoons as well n didnt av 'bull' bout politics like guardian and dem lot
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by 02(m): 5:42pm On Apr 25, 2006
I like SOCCER STAR becos the lie alot eg. ETO'O is a Nigerian.{LOL}
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by flyKUDE(m): 4:27pm On May 01, 2006
there just can't be any newspaper like thisday, never.
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by sweetchic(f): 6:51pm On May 08, 2006
sun newspaper is the thing, it's got cool stories.
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by diyobdw(f): 11:47am On May 09, 2006
sweetchic:

sun newspaper is the thing, it's got cool stories.

The the most irritatiting paper to me .It more of the written-"nkan be"(Misery happen type of progamme)got too much of nothing basically
Or may lil' relevance to what my kind of newpaper should be.Esp the SUN Girl idea tongue
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by sweetchic(f): 11:21pm On May 10, 2006
so diyobdw,wat paper do u prefer? i've the feelin u still go thru those mystical stories!!!
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by diyobdw(f): 12:19pm On May 11, 2006
You are very wrong !
i don't,
i actually bought a copy some weeks back because of a branding related article men!!! after that article i had to tossed the paper it was boring.
I read punch, guardian, thisday & FS cheesy.
Best depend on the area and the day.
Soft sell: True love,,, need more cool
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by sweetchic(f): 10:39pm On May 12, 2006
if u dont,its cool. everyone is entitled to thier own opinions.
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by diyobdw(f): 7:32am On May 15, 2006
yeah u rit. cheesy
The SUn is wack in my opinion tongue
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by GUNNER(f): 11:48pm On May 21, 2006
whilst still in naija ,

i loved reading thisday newspaper

quite articulate daily wink
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by Mystique(f): 11:28am On Jun 28, 2006
Well, these are magazine's actually, but iluv 'em all da same:
1. City People kiss
2. True Love kiss kiss
3. Genevieve kiss kiss kiss
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by lopez(f): 6:26pm On Aug 18, 2006
my favourite newspaper was sketch , especially sunday sketch , we always urge dad to buy it and if he doesn't it always a boring sunday after church , there was a lovely column in sketch c always have short stories ,,,,,, i used to love it
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by donmayor(m): 6:28pm On Aug 18, 2006
How can anybody stand guardian? It's for old people and jobseekers grin, My best is Punch. Interesting read
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:25am On Aug 25, 2006
I've just spent the past hour reading The Guardian and This Day. Its quite an odd experience; after reading mangled English, incorrect grammar and the lowest possible standards of journalism in every sense for a sustained period, one comes out quite disoriented. But you've heard me complain about Nigerian journalism before so what's new? It would be lovely to read a Nigerian paper and learn something new or incisive about the country, but unfortunately, this doesnt seem possible. Instead, one reads a mixture of hagiographic encomiums from sycophants, planted stories and over-long letters from various marginalised souls. One learns more about the country from talking to everyday people, not from getting ink rubbed off on the hands from the papers,

http://naijablog..com/2006_07_01_naijablog_archive.html

the Guardian grin
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by ladenz(m): 4:41pm On Aug 25, 2006
Ah ah bros cool down now. Besides how did you get your fingers stained with the print. Do they sell these papers in the Gambia
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by Seun(m): 8:57pm On Aug 29, 2006
The person who wrote that message is a white man who lives in Nigeria.
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:06am On Aug 30, 2006
it is mostly true though  sad
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by disney(f): 1:08pm On Aug 30, 2006
As for disneychick, punch is my favorite newspaper. I remember when l was in naija, my dad and mama always used to buy the punch every saturday and sunday. My favorite section used to me Dear Aunt Kemi. lol. lol. that was even when I was a kid not to talk of now am a full grown adult.

Everything about punch interests me like lifestyle, entertainment, fashion, cooking and my most favorite part is experience. Well, it's funny how you get hooked into something. Even in the states, l still find myself going to www.punchng.com every saturday and sunday because they got the very best stories. lol.lol. grin grin
Re: What's Your 'Best' Nigerian Newspaper, and Why? by ladenz(m): 2:26pm On Aug 30, 2006
My apologies to loverbwoy. i didnt know you were a white man. I guess you can view these issues more objectively than those of us here. I have read many papers from outside the country and i didnt see much of a difference except for the quality of print. But I was never one to look out for much details.

One thing I have noticed however is that Our newspapers these days seem to be totally unconcerned that their audience is not limited to adults and people seeking cheap gossip. The issue of Anita Hogan was the last in a series of supposedly hot stories which do nothing other than pry into other peoples private lives and print dirty pictures for the whole world to see. I saw a couple of small girls looking at these pictures and giggling uncontrollably. Once a niece of mine was reading a story in the punch and later i picked it up to see what she was reading. It was one of these short stories filled with details of intimate relations between a man and a woman. I don't think they realize what harm they are doing to our children.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bird With Human Head[pictured] / Mermaid Found Alive By Beach Side In Lagos(photo) / Wish 5 Nairalanders A Merry Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.