Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,519 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

The Rosary Prayer - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Rosary Prayer (2092 Views)

Why Do Protestants Use The Rosary? / Why Do Catholics Pray With The Rosary, And Bow To Mary's Statue? / Rosary No More!! Why I Stopped Praying The Rosary!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Rosary Prayer by Lady2(f): 5:12pm On Sep 25, 2008
Well it's been a couple of people who have asked about the rosary prayer so I will post it up for them to see what it actually is.

The rosary prayer begins with the sing of the cross.
And then on the first big bead, the Our Father is said

The Lord's Prayer:
Our Father, whom art in haven
hallowed be thy name
they kingdom come
they will be done on earth
as it is in heaven
give us this day our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us
and lead us not into temptation
bu deliver us from all evil.

Then on the next three smaller beads the Hail Mary is said for the virtues of faith, hope, and charity (love). The Hail Mary prayer is the greeting of the angel Gabriel and Elizabeth in the Bible, see Luke 1:28 and 42 and the rest of it is asking her to pray for us.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Followed by the doxology: Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost, as it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

The Fatima prayer may also be said too after the Glory be: O my Jesus forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, and lead all souls to heaven, especially those most in need of thy mercy.

Fatima is the place in Portugal that Mary appeared to the three little shepherd children she told them to pray the rosary and she told them to add the Fatima prayer to it.

Then on the next big bead you recite the first mystery of the day, meditate on the scripture for that mystery, in doing the meditation you place yourself in the scene, and then you apply the fruit (virtue) of that event to your life. Below I will indicate which mysteries go with which day and what the fruits are along with the scripture reference for you to meditate on.

On Mondays and Saturdays The Joyful Mysteries are prayed.

1) The Annunciation, this is where the angel Gabriel announces to Mary that she would conceive. The virtue here is humility Luke 1:30-31.
Mary allowed God's will in her life when she humbly said yes to him, we to are t say yes to God and allow his will to be done in our life.

2) The visitation, this is where Mary visits Elizabeth, and Elizabeth calls her blessed. Luke 1:41-42, the virtue here is Charity.

Meditation: When Mary learned of Elizabeth's pregnancy, she went in haste tovisit her, to help her, and to encourage her. Mary forgot her own troubles in order to help another. The Lord in turn confirmed to Mary through Elizabeth that "what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled." (Luke 1:45)

Mary thus teaches us that even in the womb Jesus came not to be served, but to serve. This mystery proves forever that life begins at conception, since in the womb the unborn John recognized his newly conceived cousin Jesus!

Mary and Elizabeth cared for one another. do I put my family and friends in first place? do i take a sincere interest in them? mary teaches us to reach out and care for everyone who comes into our lives.

3) The birth of Jesus, the fruit here is Love of God or for the spirit of poverty. Luke 2:6-7

Meditation: After nine months of waiting and three days of journeying, Joseph and Mary finally shelter in a little cave carved out of the Bethlehem hills. On this oly night the Son of God came quietly into the world to reclaim it for his Father. He came as a child so no one would refuse him. He came in poverty so no one whould feel inferior. He came defenseless so no one would feel threatened.

That night in Bethlehem, Mary and Joseph needed help. How do I respond when someone asks me for help? AM I willing to "go the extra mile?" Mary and Josph allowed Jesus to come to us. God now awais ou "Yes" to allow Him to come to others. May we share his child-like love, His gracious joy, and His gently care with all we meet, remembering that were Christ to be born in a thousand stables it would be of no avail, if He were not born in our hearts.

4) The Presentation of Jesus in the Temple Luke 2:22 the fruit is Obedience

Meditation: In obedience to the Law of Moses, Mary and Joseph presente Jesus to God in the temple. Israel's long wait for the messiah was ended. So to was the waiting of old Simeon, who blessed the child and his parents, having been promised by the Spirit that he should not die until he had seen the Lord's Annointed One. He prayed, "Now, Master, yu may let you servant go/ in peace, according to your word,/ for my eyes have seen your salvation, " (Lue 2:29-30

Anna a faithful widow, had also prayed and fasted much for this day, and she rejoiced in it.

As Orthodox Jews, Mary and Joseph obeyed the Law of God. m I willing to obey God, to follo His Commandments in Scripture and in the teaching of the Church, even when it takes great courage?

5) The Finding in the Temple Luke 2:46 the fruit here is zeal or piety.

Meditation: On the way home from the Passover Feast in Jerusalem wen Jesus was 12 years old, Mary and Joseph discovered that Jesus was no longer with them. Distraught and frightened, they began looking for him everywhere. As the hours turned into days, their anxiety grew. Then afer three days they found Jesus in the Temple! You can imagine their mixed feelings of relief, joy, and even anger.

We too endure times of sufferring when it seems we have lost Jesus. As our anxiety grows, we cry out, "Where are you, Lord?" This mystery teachs us that God is always in control, and that in time, if we keep looking, we will find Jesus. As His Word declares, "At dusk weeping comes for the night; / but at dawn there is rejoicing." (Psalm 30:6) Mary wil lead the way.

On Tuesdays and Fridays the Sorrowful Mystery is prayed

1) The Agony in the Garden Mark 14:32-33 the fruit here is Sorrow for Sins or For true Contrition/repentance.

Meditation: As his closest friends slept, Jesus endured alone the extreme agony, fear, and distres of this noght of sorrw. Desiring to be spared suc great suffering, Jesus prayed. "Abba, Fathe, all things are possible to you. Take this cup away from me, but not what I wil but what yu will." (Mark 14:36)

Jesus poured out is anguished heart, begging for the strength to endure the Passion and finish the cup. HE placed his full trus and confidence in his Heavenly Father, as he had done throughout his whole life. And in his Father's embrace he found the strength to go on to the end.

Each of us bears affliction in our own lives and we know many who suffer greatly, be it physically, emotionally, or spiritually. When we are betrayed, abandoned, aken for granted, or suffer illnes, depresion, or discouragement, let us turn to Jedu for his consolation and strength.

2) The scourging at the pillar Mark 15:15 the fruit is self-denial or purity

Meditation: After being betrayed, falsely accused, and wrongfully imprisoned, Jesus was brought before Pilate for sentencing. His first punishment was a merciless scourging from the Roman soldiers. In his scourging, Jesus was thinking of you. He offered all his suffering to his Father to save us from a punishment we could not bear, fulfilling the words of the Prophet Isaiah: "Upon him was chastisement that makes us whole,/ by his stripes we were healed." (Isaiah 53:5)

Jesus suffered intense, unbearable pain in his scourgin. How do I respond to pain? Do I complain or give in to self-pity at the first sign of difficulty? or do i seek to bear suffering bravley, oining all my sufferings to those of Christ as a living sacrifice for the sake of others, especially His Body on earth and in Purgatory?

3) Jesus is crowned with thorns Mark 15:16-17 the fruit here is Moral courage

Meditation: The rough Roman soldiers gathered an audience of 600 companions, striped Jesus of his blood-soaked clothing, and threw a scarlet military cloak over his shoulders. Then they wove a crown of spiked thorns and pressed it downon his head, striking him and saying, "All hil, King of the Jews!"

Jesus courageously and silently endured this piercing public humiliation, choosing to love and forgive his aggressors.

Humiliationis difficult to endure, especially when we are 'in the right' Jeus lived what he taught about the last being first. When we are treated unfairly, we need to discern the prudent response. Sometimes we need to set our boundaries and stand for what is right; other times we need to 'turn the other cheek' abd suffer in silence. In all times we need to follow the counsel of St. Peter. "Cast all your worries upon him because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

4) Jesus carries the cross- John 19:16-17 the fruit is Patience

Meditation: In total surrender to His Father's Will, Jesus freely accepted he cross and bore it himself through Jerusalem's narrow and strident streets. Panic atacked him as he struggled to find his footing and fell amidst the shuting and jostling crowd. In their faces he saw hate, rage, and disgust. Saddened but resolute, Jesus kept going, toward his final end.

Sometimes it seems our cross is unbearable, and we panic, thinking we will never be able to complete the couse. This mystery teaches us that God will never allow us to be tested beyond our ability to endure. He will always make a wy. As Jesus fell under the agonizing weight of the cross, his Father sent Siomn of Cyrene to help him carry it.

5) Jesus dies on the cross- Mark 15:24 the fruit is final perseverance

Meditation: And so it ended. After a brief life of 33 years, Jesus was betrayed, arested, tried, conviced, imprisoned, condemned, scourged, crowned with thorns, forced to carry his cross, stripped, nailed, and hung to ie, all within 24 hours.

The Good Shepherd went to this extent to rescue His lost shep, to reopen the fates of heaven and give to us all a second chance at Paradise. Jesus thirsts for us to be with Him, reunited with His Father inthe Kingdom for all eternity.

Jesus teaches us through his obedience on the cross to always please the Father. We too will die someday, and prayerful reflection on this fifth Sorrowful Mystey can help prepare us for own passing. We pray that, at the hour of ur death, Mary will be at our side as she was with Jesus.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 25, 2008
all these long story misses the KEY POINT . . .

[size=38pt]where is this advocated in the bible?[/size]

Can i pick up a bag of stones and repeat exactly the same things above? A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump . . .
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 25, 2008
~Lady~:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

1. the dead cannot intercede for the living.
2. the bible is abundantly clear, Christ is the intercessor for the church.

~Lady~:

Fatima is the place in Portugal that Mary appeared to the three little shepherd children she told them to pray the rosary and she told them to add the Fatima prayer to it.

That is Satan in disguise period.
The dead have appeared to the living only 2ce in the bible . . .
1. Saul and the witch of Endor
2. the transfiguration.

Ecclessiates 9 tells us the dead have no more to do with anything under the sun forever! Either the bible is right and you are wrong or you are right and the bible is wrong . . . both cannot be right at the same time.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by pilgrim1(f): 5:47pm On Sep 25, 2008
@~Lady~,

~Lady~:

Another way of asking the same question as davidylan is this:

"WHEN was the Rosary rite first initiated, and by WHO?"

Perhaps when that question is answered in simple terms, then it becomes easy enough to understand whether or not it has anything to do with the early Christians.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 25, 2008
~Lady~:

The rosary started in the early church when the monks would count and recite the psalms, they kept count with beads just as the Jews did in the past when they prayed, it was a way that illiterate people would keep count of the prayers that they said, and then [size=18pt]in the 12th century Mary appeared to St. Dominic and asked him to promote the prayer of the rosary and ever since then the rosary has been one of the famous prayers and effective prayers of the Church. [/size]

please see above.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by idupaul: 5:54pm On Sep 25, 2008
@ davidlan
pls i would appreciate it if u could show the catholic doctrine some little respect.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 25, 2008
idupaul:

@ davidlan
please i would appreciate it if You could show the catholic doctrine some little respect.

I would rather respect God than man. I have not "disrespected" catholic doctrine, rather i have merely opened the bible to show that Jesus Christ did not teach us that "doctrine". If you think He did then show me in the bible.

That way only can you command my "respect".
Re: The Rosary Prayer by rampagain: 7:45pm On Sep 25, 2008
davidylan:

all these long story misses the KEY POINT . . .

[size=38pt]where is this advocated in the bible?[/size]

Can i pick up a bag of stones and repeat exactly the same things above? A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump . . .

was about asking d same question undecided
Re: The Rosary Prayer by idupaul: 9:23pm On Sep 25, 2008
rampagain:

was about asking d same question undecided

yes u can. the rosary is just for keeping tabs on the number of prayers.

@ davi9d

no catholic needs ur respect, all we ask is that we be left alone to believe in our doctrine, afterall we did not start all this,u must nt see logic in our doctrines .
As for bible reference i suggest u read the Angel Gabriels visitation again.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Lady2(f): 9:37pm On Sep 25, 2008

YES!!! You can use your fingers if you want to, the only reason we use the beads is to keep count. The beads are not being worshipped, we use it to count

I have said the prayer many times without my rosary beads on hand, it is difficult because it's a lot, but you can do it.

The rosary is not a doctrine ok. It is a form of prayer, just as you have the Psalm 23, and you have yuor private prayers or prayer books. It is just the same thing.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 9:41pm On Sep 25, 2008
~Lady~:

YES!!! You can use your fingers if you want to, the only reason we use the beads is to keep count. The beads are not being worshipped, we use it to count

I have said the prayer many times without my rosary beads on hand, it is difficult because it's a lot, but you can do it.

The rosary is not a doctrine ok. It is a form of prayer, just as you have the Psalm 23, and you have yuor private prayers or prayer books. It is just the same thing.

I didnt call the rosary a thing of worship, i didnt call it a doctrine (even though it is, besides idupaul called it a doctrine . . . who is fooling who here?) . . . i simply asked a question - [size=28pt]where is it encouraged in the bible? How did the early apostles pray without it?[/size]

that is the first question put up here . . . i wonder why it is being avoided like a plague. We are not arguing, simply asking that you help us understand its use from the standpoint of the bible.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 25, 2008
davidylan:

I didnt call the rosary a thing of worship, i didnt call it a doctrine (even though it is) . . . i simply asked a question - [size=28pt]where is it encouraged in the bible? How did the early apostles pray without it?[/size]
Modern apostles pray with it and are spreading the message throughout the world. Open your eyes. . .

davidylan:

that is the first question put up here . . . i wonder why it is being avoided like a plague. We are not arguing, simply asking that you help us understand its use from the standpoint of the bible.
Because its no use running, when you are on the wrong road.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 25, 2008
imhotep:

Modern apostles pray with it and are spreading the message throughout the world. Open your eyes. . .

"modern apostles" have turned the house of the Lord into a den of thieves . . . does it make it right?

1 John 4:1, "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

Judas also "spread the message throughout Israel".

Matthew 7:7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Is it the will of the Father to use a rosary?

imhotep:

Because its no use running, when you are on the wrong road.

you havent shown me it is the wrong road in the first place. Merely repeating a falsehood 100x does not make it right. Here is the question again . . .

[size=38pt]where is the use of the rosary advocated in the bible?[/size]
Re: The Rosary Prayer by idupaul: 9:55pm On Sep 25, 2008
@ davidlan

Where in the bible was the bible used to preach. if u can answer to that it answers ur question
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:00pm On Sep 25, 2008
davidylan:

"modern apostles" have turned the house of the Lord into a den of thieves . . . does it make it right?

1 John 4:1, "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

Matthew 7:7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

you havent shown me it is the wrong road in the first place. Merely repeating a falsehood 100x does not make it right. Here is the question again . . .

[size=38pt]where is the use of the rosary advocated in the bible?[/size]

The rosary has been around for centuries and has been used by missionaries to spread the gospel to
- South America
- Europe
- Russia
- Australia
- Africa
- North America (with 70 million catholics whose votes the politicans always lobby for)

ITS NO USE RUNNING, WHEN YOU ARE ON THE WRONG ROAD.

About the bible, you don't get it. It was APPROVED by Catholic bishops. It is OUR document. Go and create YOUR OWN document.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Lady2(f): 10:01pm On Sep 25, 2008
1. the dead cannot intercede for the living.
2. the bible is abundantly clear, Christ is the intercessor for the church

The Bible is also very clear on the twelve elders offering up our prayers.

Revelations 4:4 Surrounding the throne I saw twenty-four other thrones on which twenty-four elders sat, dressed in white garments and with gold crowns on their heads.

Revelations 5:8 When he tok it, he four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each of the elders held a harp and gold bowls filled with incense, which are the prayer of the holy ones.

The 24 elders are offering up our prayers. Christ is not the only intercessor, he is the only mediator. Stop forgetting that we are asked to interceed on behalf of each other.

Stop having deliberate amnesia.

That is Satan in disguise period.
2. the transfiguration.

Well since your birth is not recorded in the Bible, I guess it didn't occur.
Don't be idiotic, we all know that everything was not recorded in the Bible. St. John lets us know that there were things that Chrsit did that did not occur in the Bible, we know the Bible doesn't hold all the accounts of history. It does however tell us enough, and based on sacred tradition, the Bible and what has been handed down to us from the apostles we know how to properly interpret the Bible and we know the practices which were handed down to us. One more time, the practices of the Church have not changed for 2000 years, so you can bang your head on the wall and rebuke all you want, you will only be attempting to rebuke God.

The rosary is not a practice of the Church it is a form of prayer and you can have several form of prayers if you want, but if you seriously do not know anything about the Catholic faith don't come in here and start making stupid little insinuations.
If you have a problem with us fine, but please keep your opinion to yourself, a man who thinks that there are only 9 commandments is not worthy to address anyting concerning God.

Ecclessiates 9 tells us the dead have no more to do with anything under the sun forever! Either the bible is right and you are wrong or you are right and the bible is wrong . . . both cannot be right at the same time

You are so funny, the same person that considers the Old Testament null and void is quoting from it, what happened to it being null and void?

Dude when you learn what Christianity is, come back and have a conversation until please refrain from addressing any of my topics or posts, because you are not worth anyone's time.

By the way there are things called Christian virtues, you might want to open your Bible and stop letting the words go over your head.

Another way of asking the same question as davidylan is this:

"WHEN was the Rosary rite first initiated, and by WHO?"

Perhaps when that question is answered in simple terms, then it becomes easy enough to understand whether or not it has anything to do with the early Christians.

What David fails to highlight above since his main work in life is to be deceitful is that since the early church the Christians, particularly those who were monks or monk like were using beads to count and recite the psalms, that is the first time the rosary was used. Over the years it moved from being the psalms alone to include the gospels.

When Mary appeared to St. Dominic the rosary was already being used, she only advocated for it. And it looked nothing like we see it today. Over the centuries the design has changed to make it easier for us to keep counting.

If you actually sincerely want to know, I suggest you research, you have the internet right? certainly you're here, so run along and research and please stop infesting threads with your lies.

Let those who wish to learn, learn.

I would rather respect God than man. I have not "disrespected" catholic doctrine, rather i have merely opened the bible to show that Jesus Christ did not teach us that "doctrine". If you think He did then show me in the bible.

That way only can you command my "respect".

Then why aren't you respecting God?

was about asking d same question

Forgive me but I thougth the Bible asked us to pray. And if we need to only use the prayer that was taught to us, then if you've ever said any prayer that is not the Lord's prayer then you have done something wrong.

The rosary is a prayer, to be precise it's a meditative prayer, you meditate on the Gospel, the Hail Mary, which is the greeting by the angel unless you think that's not true, helps us to focus on our meditation. And if you read anything above you would know what it really is.

Why do people ask idiotic questions? Where does it say in the Bible that only a particular prayer should be said?
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 25, 2008
idupaul:

@ davidlan

Where in the bible was the bible used to preach. if You can answer to that it answers ur question

Colossians 4:16 And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.

- Colossians was used to preach in the church.

Luke 4:16And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

17And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

18The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

20And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down.
And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

21And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

- Christ taught from the book of Isaiah in the Synagogues

Nehemiah 8:8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

- The Jews regularly read and taught from the books of the laws of Moses.

[size=28pt]IduPaul . . . what was your point?[/size]
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 25, 2008
davidylan:

- The Jews regularly read and taught from the books of the laws of Moses.

And now the Catholics pray the Rosary. Live with it, my man!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:09pm On Sep 25, 2008
imhotep:

The rosary has been around for centuries and has been used by missionaries to spread the gospel to
- South America
- Europe
- Russia
- Australia
- Africa
- North America (with 70 million catholics whose votes the politicans always lobby for)

I dont think you understand the question - here it is again - [size=28pt]where is the use of the rosary advocated in the bible?[/size]

imhotep:

ITS NO USE RUNNING, WHEN YOU ARE ON THE WRONG ROAD.

the worst you can do is show me why this is the wrong road.

imhotep:

About the bible, you don't get it. It was APPROVED by Catholic bishops. It is OUR document. Go and create YOUR OWN document.

It was not written by your bishops. It is not your document but the torah of the jews and the carefully preserved letters and epistles of the disciples, jewish prophets and early christians. You can always commission your own bishops to write ur own epistles . . . put the rosary there if u want.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:09pm On Sep 25, 2008
imhotep:

And now the Catholics pray the Rosary. Live with it, my man!!!!!!!!!!!

[size=28pt]Where is it in the bible?[/size]
Re: The Rosary Prayer by idupaul: 10:11pm On Sep 25, 2008
@ davidlan

are u a pastor.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:13pm On Sep 25, 2008
davidylan:

[size=28pt]Where is it in the bible?[/size]
The life of Christ is in the bible. . . that is what the rosary is about.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:15pm On Sep 25, 2008
davidylan:

I don't think you understand the question - here it is again - [size=28pt]where is the use of the rosary advocated in the bible?[/size]

the worst you can do is show me why this is the wrong road.

It was not written by your bishops. It is not your document but the torah of the jews and the carefully preserved letters and epistles of the disciples, jewish prophets and early christians. You can always commission your own bishops to write ur own epistles . . . put the rosary there if You want.

HOW MANY COUNTRIES, CULTURES AND CIVILIZATIONS HAVE YOU EVANGELIZED WITH YOUR BIBLE

You make a lot of noise, yet you have very little to show for it.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Lady2(f): 10:16pm On Sep 25, 2008
I didnt call the rosary a thing of worship, i didnt call it a doctrine (even though it is, besides idupaul called it a doctrine . . . who is fooling who here?) . . . i simply asked a question - where is it encouraged in the bible? How did the early apostles pray without it?

Um no it's not a doctrine and Idupaul did not call it so, he only stated that you should have respect for Catholic doctrine, it is common knowledge that you hate Catholics, therefore having no respect for us.

Where is it encouraged that you pray Psalm 23? You still haven't answered that question?

that is the first question put up here . . . i wonder why it is being avoided like a plague. We are not arguing, simply asking that you help us understand its use from the standpoint of the bible

if you'd read what I wrote in the first post you would know the standpoint of the bible, unless you're saying it's wrong to meditate on scripture?

IF YOU ACTUALLY READ WHAT PEOPLE WRITE INSTEAD OF SKIPPING IT AND LABELING IT WRONG BEFORE READING YOU WOULD KNOW.
if you did make it through school because i am 90% convinced you are illiterate, how did you make it without critical thinking and analytical reasoning?
how did you make it through english cals without reading the book, i bet you had problems and had to argue with the teacher too.

Well if the modern day apostles are spreading anything other than the Gospel, then God failed because he said that "the gates of Hell will not prevail against it" he was talking about his church.

Oh yes, I am sure of it. He wouldn't have been working miracles through the prayer if it wasn't his will. It's also his will that we learn Christian virtues, oh yes that's right you don't know what those are, we get that from the rosary, we see Jesus and Mary applied it in their lives, so we also attempt to apply these virtues in our life. But you don't even know what the virtues are.

where is the use of the rosary advocated in the bible?

Where is psalm 23 advocated for in the bible? is there a verse that says you should pray it?

I don't think they understand that, I think they believe that the Bible is a book that fell from heaven like manna. You know it was compiled and then dropped on earth.

They don't realise it took centuries for Bishops of the Catholic church, oh and they were called Catholic by that time, who looked through the documents and got rid of the ones that were not in line with the teachings of te apostles, so if what is being taught today is what was taught back then, then I wonder wouldn't the Bible support it?

Instead we get silly little tarts that come and fail to interpret the Bible, especially certain verses, instead they run and quote the one verse they know.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 25, 2008
~Lady~:

I don't think they understand that, I think they believe that the Bible is a book that fell from heaven like manna. You know it was compiled and then dropped on earth.

They don't realise it took centuries for Bishops of the Catholic church, oh and they were called Catholic by that time, who looked through the documents and got rid of the ones that were not in line with the teachings of te apostles, so if what is being taught today is what was taught back then, then I wonder wouldn't the Bible support it?

Instead we get silly little tarts that come and fail to interpret the Bible, especially certain verses, instead they run and quote the one verse they know.

Please tell them, my dear sister.

@davidylan
GO AND COMPILE YOUR OWN BIBLE. DO SOME REAL WORK FOR ONCE, STOP THE LAZINESS. . .
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 25, 2008
~Lady~:

The Bible is also very clear on the twelve elders offering up our prayers.

Revelations 4:4 Surrounding the throne I saw twenty-four other thrones on which twenty-four elders sat, dressed in white garments and with gold crowns on their heads.

Revelations 5:8 When he tok it, he four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each of the elders held a harp and gold bowls filled with incense, which are the prayer of the holy ones.

The 24 elders are offering up our prayers. Christ is not the only intercessor, he is the only mediator. Stop forgetting that we are asked to interceed on behalf of each other.

Re-read the two verses you quoted, where in them did it talk of the 24 elders offering up your prayers? Maybe i'm blind but pls kindly mark it in bold so i can read it again. And just in case you come back misquoting Rev 5:8 . . . pls make sure you duly understand what was there . . .

~Lady~:

Well since your birth is not recorded in the Bible, I guess it didn't occur.
Don't be idiotic, we all know that everything was not recorded in the Bible. St. John lets us know that there were things that Chrsit did that did not occur in the Bible, we know the Bible doesn't hold all the accounts of history. It does however tell us enough, and based on sacred tradition, the Bible and what has been handed down to us from the apostles we know how to properly interpret the Bible and we know the practices which were handed down to us. One more time, the practices of the Church have not changed for 2000 years, so you can bang your head on the wall and rebuke all you want, you will only be attempting to rebuke God.

i'm not sure but how does this address this?

[size=18pt]That is Satan in disguise period.
2. the transfiguration.[/size]

~Lady~:

The rosary is not a practice of the Church it is a form of prayer and you can have several form of prayers if you want, but if you seriously do not know anything about the Catholic faith don't come in here and start making stupid little insinuations.
If you have a problem with us fine, but please keep your opinion to yourself, a man who thinks that there are only 9 commandments is not worthy to address anyting concerning God.

But idupaul called it a doctrine and we know it is sacred catholic tradition . . . didnt st mary tell st dominic?

~Lady~:

You are so funny, the same person that considers the Old Testament null and void is quoting from it, what happened to it being null and void?

lying wont help you in this case.

~Lady~:

Dude when you learn what Christianity is, come back and have a conversation until please refrain from addressing any of my topics or posts, because you are not worth anyone's time.

I dont know everything about christianity, perhaps that's why i cant find the use of rosaries or the veneration of Mary in my bible. should in case you find it pls show me so i may learn at your feet o learned one.

~Lady~:

By the way there are things called Christian virtues, you might want to open your Bible and stop letting the words go over your head.

~Lady~:

What David fails to highlight above since his main work in life is to be deceitful is that since the early church the Christians, particularly those who were monks or monk like were using beads to count and recite the psalms, that is the first time the rosary was used. Over the years it moved from being the psalms alone to include the gospels.

uh oh . . . i thot it was st mary's appearance to st dominic, how foolish of me.

~Lady~:

When Mary appeared to St. Dominic the rosary was already being used, she only advocated for it. And it looked nothing like we see it today. Over the centuries the design has changed to make it easier for us to keep counting.

[size=28pt]where have the dead appeared to the living in your bible?[/size]

~Lady~:

If you actually sincerely want to know, I suggest you research, you have the internet right? certainly you're here, so run along and research and please stop infesting threads with your lies.

Afraid others are seeing through ur tissue of heresy? Pls help us here, no point going the muslim route of "i suggest you research".

~Lady~:

The rosary is a prayer, to be precise it's a meditative prayer, you meditate on the Gospel, the Hail Mary, which is the greeting by the angel unless you think that's not true, helps us to focus on our meditation. And if you read anything above you would know what it really is.

the rosary is a prayer, no we only use it to count prayer, it is a doctrine, it is a form of prayer . . . which is it? [size=28pt]and where is this in the bible?[/size]

~Lady~:

Why do people ask idiotic questions? Where does it say in the Bible that only a particular prayer should be said?

No one said that at all, its ur usual style of lying to avoid the issue. Prayer is a form of communication with God . . . the way i pray is not the same way Paul prayed and all are answered by God. Heard the publican's prayer in the bible? Heard the prayer of the thief on the cross? Are they the same with the Lord's prayer? But all 3 were answered no?

So sorry your attempt to lie here wont wash. We didnt ask you that only 30 prayers shld be said, we simply ask - [size=38pt]where is the use of the rosary advocated in your bible?[/size]
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:24pm On Sep 25, 2008
@Davidylan
The rosary is here to stay my man. I will pray it before going to bed this night. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Be useful . . .
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 25, 2008
idupaul:

@ davidlan

are You a pastor.

no. why?

~Lady~:

Where is it encouraged that you pray Psalm 23? You still haven't answered that question?

Who prays Ps 23? did anyone bring that up here? Are you mistakenly reading another forum?

~Lady~:

if you'D read what I wrote in the first post you would know the standpoint of the bible, unless you're saying it's wrong to meditate on scripture?

Ps 1 asks us to meditate IN THE SCRIPTURES.

~Lady~:

here is the question again, perchance you all missed it - [size=38pt]where is the use of the rosary advocated in your bible?[/size]
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 25, 2008
imhotep:

@Davidylan
The rosary is here to stay my man. I will pray it before going to bed this night. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Be useful . . .

i'm not saying you shld throw it away, just a very simple question - [size=28pt]where is the use of the rosary advocated in your bible?[/size]

shldnt be hard for people who wrote and own the bible shld it?
Re: The Rosary Prayer by idupaul: 10:26pm On Sep 25, 2008
imhotep:

@Davidylan

Be useful . . .

And funny enuff the only prayer that works all the time, money back guarantee grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 25, 2008
davidylan:

here is the question again, perchance you all missed it - [size=38pt]where is the use of the rosary advocated in your bible?[/size]

The use of the rosary is advocated by the Pope(s) who approved the same bible.
Re: The Rosary Prayer by Nobody: 10:28pm On Sep 25, 2008
idupaul:

And funny enough the only prayer that works all the time, money back guarantee grin grin grin grin grin
Yes oooo. I shall pray one decade for the intentions of davidylan this night.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Was The Church Whilst Trans-atlantic Slavery Lasted? / Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. / See The Theme Of This Church Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.