Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,230 members, 7,807,765 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:46 PM

The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! (1884 Views)

Things To Watch Out For When Buying A NEW Laptop? / Twelve Christmas Internet Scams To Watch Out For / Mtn 3g Billing Fraud - Unacceptable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by femzy(m): 11:51pm On Sep 25, 2008
New Fraud Strategy

This might help you or someone else.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHENEVER YOU'RE USING A PC AT A PUBLIC Like INTERNET CAFES………………

CHECK THE BACK OF THE PC AND SEE IF THE BELOW DEVICE IS THERE, IF SO, DO NOT USE IT!!!!

(it is called a keylogger)

New storing device fits at the end of the keyboard cable connecting to the PC specialized to save all typed keys in
Mostly could be used in net cafes, exhibitions, hotels and airports therefore be careful especially the people who use the internet in these places to enter their bank accounts numbers or credit card codes online.
After you enter the bank account and leave the PC it will be easy to open your account again as all what you have typed has been saved in the Black device.
Therefore, you should check the PC for any suspicious piece behind it before using the net in public places for important sites.

Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by samir101ng(m): 4:59am On Sep 26, 2008
Thanks for the Info. That's why i don't go to cafes anymore to browse even with my system. Somebody on the network might be using a network protocol analyser to filter all the traffic on the network without necessary putting a keylogger on the back of the system. To be extra safe, never do online banking or open a sensitive mailbox that you own. You don't who might be snooping around on the network (i know i have sometimes) grin grin grin
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by na2day2(m): 5:16am On Sep 26, 2008
well, thats just a hardware key logger, some can install a software key logger that can store info on pre-selected portion of the hard drive or it will mail contains including snap shots of chats and pics to the hacker's email address. to prevent this, make sure the cafe You r using installs software like deep-freeze, which if You restart the pc, it will revert back to its original state so that any software install after it will be uninstall. then the pc might be "safe" to use
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by femzy(m): 6:20am On Sep 26, 2008
Hardware Keyloggers are used for keystroke logging by means of a hardware circuit that is attached somewhere in between the computer keyboard and the computer. It logs all keyboard activity to its internal memory, which can subsequently be accessed, for example, by typing in a secret key. A hardware keylogger has an advantage over a software solution; because it is not dependent on the computer's operating system, it will not interfere with any program running on the target machine and hence cannot be detected by any software, however its physical presence may be detected
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by mikesleek(m): 6:37am On Sep 26, 2008
na2day?:

well, thats just a hardware key logger, so can install a software key logger that can store info on pre-selected portion of the hard drive or it will mail contains including snap shots of chats and pics to a the hacker's email address. to prevent this, make sure the cafe You r using installs software like deep-freeze, which if You restart the pc, it knock any software install after it.

i second you. The best security is to ensure that you do not check sensitive information in public links, like the hotels and cybercafes. these software keyloggers are so less dependent on the operating system like the hard ware key loggers. No matter how har you check you may not find them, and of course you cannot expect all cyber cafes to install deepfreeze. caution is the answer.
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by samir101ng(m): 6:48am On Sep 26, 2008
You guys, keylogging is so old skool grin grin grin. Check out MITM (Man-In-The-Middle) attacks on an ethernet network. The guy can just come in with his laptop, plug in a free lan cable. launch his software, spoof all incoming traffic to the server to his own and then back to the server. And presto, all your usernames and passwords are passing out on his screen like christmas. After like 2 hrs. He packs up and go. Nobody is the wiser. And then you see a suspicious bank statement tellign you, u withdrew N20,000 from your acct. grin grin grin
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by femzy(m): 7:01am On Sep 26, 2008
mikesleek:

i second you. The best security is to ensure that you do not check sensitive information in public links, like the hotels and cybercafes. these software keyloggers are so less dependent on the operating system like the hard ware key loggers. No matter how har you check you may not find them, and of course you cannot expect all cyber cafes to install deepfreeze. caution is the answer.

Yeah you are correct;there are current no ways to prevent keylogging but the best strategy is to use common sense and a combination of methods like anitspyware,monitoring what programs are running,firewall,network monitors,anti-key logging softwares,automatic form-filler programs,one time passwords etc
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by dragnet: 4:42pm On Sep 27, 2008
MAN IN THE MIDDLE cheesy
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 27, 2008
hehehe! man in d middle gbaaa ni! cheesy

@femzy

but u didn't have to title it 'The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone!' now. This hardware don dey tey tey! wink
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by Jtlyrics(m): 11:44pm On Sep 27, 2008
Dat money must be made shocked
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by ogbongzky(m): 2:03am On Oct 04, 2008
once u are connected to the internet, you are taking risks, any how it be sha, God dey
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by kiwi992(m): 10:22am On Oct 04, 2008
Hi All,

Fear not my people, fear not.

Key loggers are just that - basic, crude things, be they hardware or software-based key loggers.  Never feel threathened by them because there is a walk-around for those nasties.

I do all my banking, credit card transactions, mortgage, insurance, and so on, totally online, without fear.  Never been defeated by those nasties. 

Now, Nairalanders, key loggers can only log the keys that you've typed on the keyboard.  Here's what to do:

1.  Type in your details as usual (e.g. name and address, bank account number, credit card number and so on) but here lies the trick to defeating those useless programs:

ADD EXTRA NUMBERS AND LETTERS TO THE END OF THE DETAILS THAT YOU'VE JUST TYPED IN.  Yeah, you heard me - type in extra numbers and letters to the end of every detail that you are filling in.  This must be done on a line-by-line basis.  It's no use just doing this for the first line.  Do this for EVERY line on which you are filling in your detail.   The stupid key logger would have registered those fake details.  Buggers! 

2.  Next, you take your CURSOR to the beginning of the fake details that you had just typed in.  I said the beginning of those fake details.  Okay?  The beginning of the fake numbers or whatever.

3.  Now, HIGHLIGHT those fake details by dragging your mouse across them and press 'Delete' on your keyboard and voila! you've fooled those thieving bastards with their key loggers.

You might want to know as to how that is possible.  Right?  The simple answer is that key loggers can not register the click of a mouse.  Pure and simple.

Now, my people, take me to the pub and buy me a bottle of Smirnof Ice because I've saved your arses from those fraudulent plonkers that are roaming the Internet.

Fear not.

kiwi992.
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by chaj(m): 7:58am On Oct 05, 2008
Errr, kiwi992, not so fast grin

Software keyloggers are capable of taking screen shots at random and relaying them to the hackers server.

So suppose it relays the screen shots of your usernames and passwords BEFORE and AFTER the "highlight" and "delete' acrobatics? lipsrsealed

Anyway, u still deserve your bottle of smirnoff ice, for giving a helping hand. Enjoy wink
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by ogbongzky(m): 9:10am On Oct 05, 2008
@KIWI

THX FOR D HINTS, sorry, i can only be JEDI 4 u ooooo, u mind?

I THINK THE DATA LOGGED BY THE KEYLOGGERS WILL BE USELESS EVEN IF THE SCREENSHOTS ARE TAKEN BECAUSE PASSWORDS ALWAYS SHOW ON THE SCREEN AS DOTS.
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by ccokoji: 4:26pm On Oct 05, 2008
Bros, you are God sent. Thank you so much for this information. God bless you.
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by kiwi992(m): 6:06pm On Oct 05, 2008
Hi All,

No probs.

We are one and here to help each other.

kiwi992.
Re: The New Fraud Strategy; Watch Out Everyone! by chaj(m): 12:09am On Oct 06, 2008
@ogbonzky,

I don't think the passwords appearing to the human eye as dots would equally appear as dots to the keylogger software; otherwise it wouldn't be the threat it's known to be.

As someone mentioned, you can't be too safe.

(1) (Reply)

Laptop Carcass / Ipnx Modem For Sale @11k / Dell Inspirionn5040 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.