Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? (71700 Views)

A City In Nigeria With 24/7 Electricity Supply! / Best City In Nigeria To Live In? / Longest Flyover In West Africa Nearing Completion By Kano State Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by Constantin: 10:42am On Jul 12, 2006
Yesterday I had a long dispute with some of guys and girls because we were debating what the best city in West Africa is? In terms of developed infrastructure I said it is undoubtedly Lagos, some of them vehemently denied that and said that only the airport is nice and that´s it, most agreed that Abidjan is by far more modern, and better developed than Lagos with better infrastructure and more rich people than Lagos. I was shocked. I asked them if they are talking of Abidjan in the 80´s or of Abidjan today? Because today Abidjan is pretty run down and no longer the "Paris of Africa" Ivoirians bragged about in the past. They said that Abidjan has the highest densities of flyovers and highways in West Africa. I don´t belive that. Lagos must have more flyovers. They futhermore said that Abidjan has an urban middle class whereas Lagos only has rich and poor people. Moreover, they said that shopping facities and entretainment and leisure facities are better in Abidjan than in Lagos and the sytem of public transport, too. They even said that Abidjan had a large Olympic size ice-skating rink. I only doubt it.

Do you agree that Abidjan is more devloped and better than Lagos? Or what is the best city (in terms of entertainment facilities, highways, hotels, shopping, leisure, eating out and so on) in West africa for you?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by Hotstepper(f): 12:19pm On Jul 12, 2006
Abuja and Accra are good, dunno about others but mostly all capital cities are good places to live cuz they are well taken care of tongue

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by malaika(f): 9:52am On Jul 14, 2006
::
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by OldGlory1(m): 10:50am On Jul 14, 2006
Constantin

It has got to be Accra. If you go there,you will agree. Better Infrastructure,not congested,better transportation,better organized city overall.
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by superman(m): 10:02pm On Jul 14, 2006
na lie!
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by Saiesta(f): 2:26pm On Jul 18, 2006
The best city in West Africa would be Abidjan. My second choice would be Accra.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by edobabe(f): 4:11pm On Jul 18, 2006
Dakar -Senegal
Abidjan-Ivory coast
Abuja-NIgeria.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by Rhodalyn(f): 4:14pm On Jul 18, 2006
superman:

na lie!
na lie?? angry angry angry

Accra all the way LOL! cheesy Accra Accra Accra, the name IS even sexy LOL! grin Tema IS Cool too
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by soulpatrol(f): 6:44pm On Jul 18, 2006
Sokoto, Nigeria grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by Hugoboi(m): 6:47pm On Jul 18, 2006
soulpatrol:

Sokoto, Nigeria grin grin grin grin grin

Yeah right!!!!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by soulpatrol(f): 6:53pm On Jul 18, 2006
Hugoboi, you dey follow me around?
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by Hugoboi(m): 6:55pm On Jul 18, 2006
soulpatrol:

Hugoboi, you dey follow me around?
WAT FOR?? GIRL PLEASE!!!
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by soulpatrol(f): 6:56pm On Jul 18, 2006
it was a joke, Hugoboi. wheres your sense of humor? grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by Hugoboi(m): 7:00pm On Jul 18, 2006
oops my bad, u arnt mad @ me areu? grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by soulpatrol(f): 7:07pm On Jul 18, 2006
im not mad at you Hugoboi, but i did tell you to shut up in the other thread! hehehehehe grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by Rhodalyn(f): 7:09pm On Jul 18, 2006
Sokoto?? thats funny cheesy cheesy

@hugoboi
funny name U got there angry
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by Hugoboi(m): 7:12pm On Jul 18, 2006
shuo wat funny about it?
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by dearie(m): 3:49am On Jul 27, 2006
Abuja, no plca like it in west africa.
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by hola2ng(m): 1:04pm On Jul 27, 2006
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by michy(f): 1:07pm On Jul 27, 2006
Enugu
my coal city for life
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by hola2ng(m): 1:08pm On Jul 27, 2006
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by hola2ng(m): 1:39pm On Jul 27, 2006
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by soulpatrol(f): 1:45pm On Jul 27, 2006
I thought Ibadan was the largest city in sub-saharan Africa! whatchu talking about??
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by Shinor(m): 2:48pm On Jul 27, 2006
ABUJA according to CNN's most beautiful African city competition is second after Cape Coast. So that makes Abuja No1 in West Africa. As you rightly noted, Abidjan pre war was probably the best place in west Africa but as with most things during war time, the present crises in Ivory Coast have affected social infrastructure etc.
Accra and dakar will occupy second and third positions respectively. Banjul fourth while Abidjan, Freetown and Monrovia will be in the war torn categories.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by omonozozo(m): 3:52pm On Jul 27, 2006
ABUJA according to CNN's most beautiful African city competition is second after Cape Coast. So that makes Abuja No1 in West Africa. As you rightly noted, Abidjan pre war was probably the best place in west Africa but as with most things during war time, the present crises in Ivory Coast have affected social infrastructure etc.
Accra and dakar will occupy second and third positions respectively. Banjul fourth while Abidjan, Freetown and Monrovia will be in the war torn categories.

Shinor you have said it, Abuja is the finest of them all. What I would like is to see the pictures of the other citys like Accra and Dakar. IF not then I can say with out proof Benin city is the best.
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by staq(m): 5:01pm On Jul 27, 2006
Abidjan was far better than Lagos and Abuja put together up until Sept. 18 200? (the date of the evacuation). Plateaux (downtown abidjan was quite pretty), cocody was cool and the whole riviera neighborhood was very beautiful. I was very impressed with the law abiding residents of that city.
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by luvlymoi(f): 5:07pm On Jul 27, 2006
abuja- niice very pretty city.
lagos- kinda pretty but too congested.
abidjan- never been there but heared stuff about it. its pretty nice but i think abuja is wayyyy better in terms of everything.
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by luvlymoi(f): 5:12pm On Jul 27, 2006
hola2ng:

LAGOS -the largest city in Africa

hehehe ur kiddin rite? i knw lagos in fact nigeria is africas most populous country and lagos is the 15 most populpous city in the world but in terms of land size, lagos is very very small. so wen u say lagos is the largest city in africa u need to classify. have u seen lafos state on the map of nigeria, its really small talk more of lagos city, i mean land size oh not population.
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by New(m): 5:13pm On Jul 27, 2006
soulpatrol:

I thought Ibadan was the largest city in sub-saharan Africa! whatchu talking about??

Ibadan is usually described as the largest village in Africa.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by soulpatrol(f): 5:21pm On Jul 27, 2006
@ new. you really must be new. dont be dissing that beautiful city like that! me loves it. what village are you from?
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by Akolawole(m): 5:28pm On Jul 27, 2006
New:

Ibadan is usually described as the largest village in Africa.

At times those Statistician confuses us.

From time immemorial, Ibadan is adjudge to be 2nd largest behind Cairo, i am sure by now it should be No 1( No thanks to these Lagosians who moved to Ibadan).

According to Nigeria's satelite, Lagos is the biggest. The question now is : Is Lagos a state or a City?

In terms of Design( IF COMPLETELY IMPLEMENTED), Abuja is in the top 3 in the world [ according to a French Journal].
Re: What Is The Best City In West Africa To Live In? by Oracle(m): 5:33pm On Jul 27, 2006
Abuja has it. definitely not lagos

central bank abuja

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad / Why Do Most Nigeria Streets Look Like This? / Lagos Guy Flaunts his N3million Emirates First Class airline seat (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.