Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

Another Military Regime? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another Military Regime? (1479 Views)

Top 12 Sins Of Gen. Buhari During His Military Regime / Another Military Plane Crashes In Port-Harcout! / Military Regime Vs Democracy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Military Regime? by Dysere(m): 8:22am On Jul 13, 2006
How would you like to be ruled by the military again?
Re: Another Military Regime? by Txlonghorn(m): 8:26am On Jul 13, 2006
I would love the military to come back to power in Niageria, then I can go home and become a minister and chop some of that money.
Re: Another Military Regime? by DaHitler(m): 8:28am On Jul 13, 2006
What makes you so sure they would make you a minister? Even, lets assume you have friends and family in the higher ups of the armed forces, with the way coups work, it is very possible for a military government to be set up and your connected friends and family be executed or exiled. If there is one thing that is certain about military regimes, it is that crack-downs and purges are all those unwashed illiterates are good for.
Re: Another Military Regime? by Txlonghorn(m): 8:34am On Jul 13, 2006
I don't have any friends or family in the higher ups in Nigeria, I'm just still on active duty in the US Army, so that should give me a better position than the illiterates they have in the Armed Forces in Nigeria.
Re: Another Military Regime? by otokx(m): 9:55am On Jul 13, 2006
I doubt if that can ever happen again.
Re: Another Military Regime? by shawna(f): 8:21pm On Jul 13, 2006
i dont like the idea of nigeria being ruled by the military sad
Re: Another Military Regime? by Chxta(m): 9:18pm On Jul 13, 2006
Dysere:

How would you like to be ruled by the military again?

I want to believe that we've learnt our lessons from those past ugly experiences and won't be so stupid as to let it happen again.
Re: Another Military Regime? by shawna(f): 9:51pm On Jul 13, 2006
Chxta:

I want to believe that we've learnt our lessons from those past ugly experiences and won't be so stupid as to let it happen again.
true talk
Re: Another Military Regime? by gigitte(f): 11:05pm On Jul 13, 2006
ahn ahn did you guys not read about that military man that said he wished he had overthrown obj in a coup during the '04 elections. there are such ppl hanging around oh!

please remember to pray for naija in these uncertain times that the transition will go smoothly
Re: Another Military Regime? by dakmanzero(m): 2:22pm On Jul 14, 2006
texas longhorn, i seriously hope you are joking

if you are joking, then har de har har, we are all trying to laugh- but it is difficult to find a joke funny when you are sitting on the keg of gunpowder that some clown is dicking around with

if not, and you honestly feel that being in the us army will give you a chance in a Nigerian military regime, I am very fearful for the wellbeing of your brain and would advise that u go get your head examined before you forget to breathe one day and suffocate to death! (of course you can't be this dense. you *were* joking, right?)

You are more likely to be deployed here by your new american masters to 'liberate' us once the military takes over.
Re: Another Military Regime? by hotorokid(m): 9:45pm On Jul 14, 2006
Texas longhorn i think you are two sandwiches short of a picknick!!!!!!
Darkmanzero has said all there is to say about your silly remarks. grin

As for military regime, come on guys if thats the case we might as well co back to colonial rule!!!
Re: Another Military Regime? by stanech: 10:02pm On Jul 14, 2006
Well if I was to be a military man I will take over kill every body that has once been in the government directly or indirectly lock them up in one prison or kill them and set up a new and plain political terain hand over and wait for the worst
Re: Another Military Regime? by hotorokid(m): 10:14pm On Jul 14, 2006
Texas longhorn i think you are two sandwiches short of a picknick!!!!!!  
 Darkmanzero has said all there is to say about your silly remarks. grin

As for military regime, come on guys if thats the case we might as well co back to colonial rule!!!

grin grin grin
Re: Another Military Regime? by Jalal(m): 5:29pm On Jul 15, 2006
Dont think that can happen in todayz Nigeria, cos the pple are wiser grin grin grin
But theres still more the Naija masses hav to wiseup to or they will be left behind, way behind!!!!
Re: Another Military Regime? by DaHitler(m): 5:37pm On Jul 15, 2006
Jalal:

Dont think that can happen in todayz Nigeria, because the people are wiser grin grin grin
But theres still more the Naija masses hav to wiseup to or they will be left behind, way behind!!!!

What does the wiseness of the masses (please, don't use this word to refer to people. It is degrading) have to do with military rule. When has a Nigerian military regime ever been installed due to populous uprising? If there is a click of 20, well positioned army Officers (Within or closely linked to the Military council, they could stage a successful coup and nothing would happen. Trust me, once the first 500 people are killed (if it even has to be this much) the rest would fall in line. People are by design hardwired to follow authority.

Especially with the strong centralized authority that Nigeria is using a coup is very easy to conduct. Kill off the President (don't have to worry about VP because thats a useless postion with no actual power. In fact, the Vice President is actually inferior to State Governors and any member of the national assembly). The State Governors would flee with their ill gotten wealth (note: The State government at best has limited control over the Police force. Good luck stopping the army with silly police barricades and jeeps. Thats even assuming the Police would take on responsibility that they were never designed to do. I.E, they are not being paid to fight off the army). Broadcast the coup and claim to have far reaching popular support with Generals all over the country. Appoint Generals to administer States and create a somewhat broad based military council that includes either Hausa and Igbo, Yoruba and Igbo, or Yoruba and Hausa. All three would be best if your goal is to keep the country at relative peace. There you go, new military regime is installed. Lastly, spill as much blood as needed till the people become complacent and accepting of the new reality.
Re: Another Military Regime? by mrmayor(m): 11:07pm On Jul 15, 2006
If anyone takes a close look on how the Nigerian Army is structured you would realize that the possibility of a successful coup is rather high.An ambitious general  with at least 3 General Officer Commanding (GOCs) of any of the five divisions of the Nigerian Army would be successful.

I don't believe that there would a popular protest against a military regime replacing PDP governments,the masses are tired of PDP led stealing,I would not protest the demise of OBJ thats for sure.Nigerians are cowards anyway, who wants to die!

Are the people wiser?Yes they are wiser,we know that the present rate of looting of public funds cannot continue,the present political structure is untenable,the Islamisation of Nigeria has got to stop,something has got give.
Re: Another Military Regime? by Reverend(m): 9:15am On Jul 18, 2006
Instead of a Military takeover, how about a popular peoples take over?

How about forming a non political peoples government that will share the oil wealth, stamp out corruption, kill bureaucracy, tax all the Miracle Pastors like (Pastor Chris & Anita) and hang all the 419 Yahoo boys by their scraggy necks live on Nigerian television!

We could then start work on building a better future for Nigeria and it's people. Develop infrastructure and create new jobs, housing and security!

I am prepared to fly to Switzerland to bring home OBJ's hidden millions (for a percentage of course grin)

NPPF is born, the Nigerian Popular Peoples Front!

Re: Another Military Regime? by dakmanzero(m): 4:49pm On Jul 19, 2006
Not possible, reverend.

Too much (physical) distance between human settlements for such a thing to arise in a coordinated fashion.

Too much cultural difference, and too much lack of education.

plus: the incumbents are too powerful, and will not support something that will rob them of that power.

the people are weak in Nigeria. civilians are not allowed to bear arms and the military is overpowered. Any popular 'uprising' will soon become a bloodbath.

(1) (Reply)

Atiku Indicted In US Congress Man Jefferson's Case / Bush Nightmare? / Another Tanker Explosion.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.