Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,192 members, 7,780,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:25 PM

48th Nigerian Independence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 48th Nigerian Independence (1515 Views)

Forbes Names Okonjo-iweala Most Powerful Woman in Africa 48th in the World 2015 / Happy 48th Birthday Governor Amaechi. / Happy 48th Birthday To My Country, Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

48th Nigerian Independence by Virgo83(m): 3:02am On Oct 01, 2008
As the 48th Nigerian Independence nears, I find myself musing on a daily basis, on issue concerning Politics in Nigeria. Nigeria, in search of a transformation in the way and manner the leader leads the led, has for decades now, tried to embrace Democracy i.e. a government of the people, by the people, chosen by the people, to lead the people. From Civilian to Military to Civilian rule, Nigeria is still in search of Democracy. Democracy is not necessarily synonymous with Civilian rule. Democracy is Democracy only when the generality of the people are given the chance to have a proper say in how they are led.

Forty-eight years on, I muse, Nigeria is gripped tightly by what I would call demonised Democracy. A government of the people in most cases, by sneaky, snaky, money-corrupt, weak, scheming, power-corrupt, sugar tongued vipers; who have no inkling about ruling the people in integrity, trust, diligence and love, so that the generality of the people could be emancipated. Oh no, let the generality of the people be emaciated; this is their creed. Give Democracy a chance, we cry everyday. Oh no, Democracy is that little object, enshrouded fully in stained white linens of deceit and foolery. Democracy, to many leaders, simply put, is fooling or attempting to fool most of the people most of the time. How sad.

Most Politicians now, as soon as they assume power, have just the one or two agenda in mind; absolute power, & absolute looting. They gang together, form cloned groups, and some are so joined together in their evil meander and metier that you could think of nothing but Siamese twins when you see them in action. There are some honest, hardworking politicians of integrity and clout, but unfortunately these are grossly in the minority. They are soon frustrated or nearly snuffed out of extinction, except the resilient few who will not give up, come what may. The going for these is hard and tough, but with prayers and support, they carry on, hoping that one day, through them Democracy would wear its crown.

Still musing on the political climate in Nigeria, I travel on territories new, searching for answers, but beholding instead a charade of compromised Democratic Aspirants. Two faced mongrels who would suck up to any master; Scoundrels who have along the line buttered so many people’s breads, but alas with what belongs to the common man; and the worst of all, clueless nonentities who are empowered as lap dogs. My thoughts travel on, and I behold the many faces of politics in Nigeria, the salient riggers; the nincompoops; the treacherous piranhas; the sweet coated bee-like personnel, who give out the placebo effect, then sting and sting hard; and the ever to remember brutish bullies.

Alas, all is lost, I cried out. True Democracy can never make it in Nigeria. All is lost. Nigeria has remained a fool at forty, and will be a fool forever. I felt sick; I was in the lowest ebb of disillusionment, for I am one of those who had taken up the fight for true democracy, good governance and emancipation of the ordinary people, so deep at heart. The only light at my tunnel at that point in time, was my inner resolve never to give up on the fight for Democracy, no matter what. I will support those identified individuals who had the makings of true democratic leaders. Who are they I mused deeper? How can they be found, I pondered? How many of such are left in Nigeria? As far as I was concerned, Nigeria has too many political parties. Nigeria is highly factionalised, ethnically, socially, politically, religiously etc. Politics in Nigeria is a matter of betting, bluffing, and playing poker. Within same political parties, there is further divide. So where do the honest and humane individuals turn to. I was so in thought, concentrating on the Elijah, Ahab, Jezebel and Prophets of Baal story in the Bible while still musing on Nigerian Politics. Then a still small voice whispered unto me as I pondered deeper. DAVID AND GOLIATH. Then a new understanding of the Nigerian Political world started to unfold. All parties, all peoples and all leaders are clearly divided into only TWO distinct groups.

On the one hand are the Goliaths, many are they, boastful & arrogant schemers, unscrupulous elements, mischief makers, rumour mongers, mandate stealers, corrupt and greed infested looters, short-sighted political nonentities, fifth columnists, agents of destabilisation, gainsayers and sycophants… the list was endless. These first sets of politicians abound and are in the majority. They have been unleashed on the people to deceive, to loot and corrupt, just like Lucifer was released to the peril of the earth and to the utter delight of the heavens. They parade themselves clothed in stolen apparels and attires of office; they dish out unscrupulously stolen goods and stolen money from the people’s treasury; buying themselves adulations and man made glory. They treat the led as their personal belongings and decide when to utilise or discard at will. A whole state soon becomes a family affair, they unashamedly bribe with words and all they have at their disposal. Integrity and honesty are two words that are near extinction as far as this group is concerned.

Goliaths they are for they make the ordinary citizens around them sore afraid. They intimidate and treat the common man with disdain, then defy rulers and contenders, declaring that there is none like them. They defy the rules of God and rules of man; they brag and boast while still looting and killing. Goliaths are they for they believe no one can ever oust them; they have lost all sense of shame and decorum – (no sense and sensibility). Goliaths are they for they are unstable in their ways; never wanting anything good for the masses. Goliaths are they for they are the true murderers of DEMOCRACY.

Now I am very alert and alive. Why is this still small voice telling me about David and Goliath? This story I have known since kindergarten. One thing is sure that now brings me hope for a brighter future, DAVID IN ALL SIMPLICITY KILLED GOLIATH. Yes David killed Goliath not with military might and power. David was not even clad in armour and body suits. David rejected all that his earthly king Saul tried to laden him with – armour, helmet, coat of mail and sword. “I cannot go with these”, he said, “for I have not proved them”. David went out to battle against Saul only with what rightly belonged to him – his sling and five small pebbles. But David went out with much more than that against Goliath. David had been anointed by God previously and was bound to excel in all he did. David had been earmarked for success and lasting acclaim. He had the right attitude and attribute to deliver and emancipate the fearful poor and needy. David had boldness, resilience and a proven track record of accomplishment. Didn’t he in time past wrestle and kill a lion to save his poor sheep?

One more thing that David had which Goliath didn’t and never would have is this; David had the backing of God because he was a God fearing believer. So David prevailed over Goliath and slew him without a sword, and cut off his head. The followers of Goliath scattered that day and fled. They were overtaken and brought to justice. Democracy will still win the day.

This is the story of Democracy in Nigeria. All is not lost, says the Lord of hosts. For “I AM” is raising a people of power, a people of grace, a peace loving, commendable people who are given to good governance. He raised David to overcome Goliath, so will He raise people who will put an end to this reign of corruption, deception, political divide & jargons; and utter shambolic rule of neglect in Nigeria. We are now at a crucial political stage in Nigeria. You can only either be a David or a Goliath. No more no less. You can only follow the Davids or the Goliaths. You can no longer continue to have your cake and eat it. Sitting on the fence you are nothing. All is not lost Nigeria. The Davids are coming and the Davids are multiplying and the Davids will one day take over.

This is my Independence Day message to my dear motherland. Nigeria I hail thee.

Remain Blessed.

http://www.africanloft.com/the-nigerian-post-independence-political-scene-a-case-of-david-vs-goliath/

Re: 48th Nigerian Independence by Africankel(m): 8:45pm On Oct 01, 2008
Stop musing, Make a change!
You cannot sit in your bedroom everyday musing and think something good will happen someday, The time is now, Nigerians have the responsibility of causing the change they desire, This cannot be achieved if we all sit at a corner in our room musing and blaming the government!

(1) (Reply)

Zenith Of Economic Sabotage. These People Are Same As The Thieving Politicians / Mend's Silence In These Boko Haram Times Is Deafening- Exposes Their Cowardice / BBC Recognizes Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.