Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,937 members, 7,803,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

Nairaland Official Chess Thread! - Gaming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nairaland Official Chess Thread! (116168 Views)

Chess Basics For Beginners / Nairaland's Official Instagram Thread; Post Your IG Handles. / Nairaland Official PSP Apps,games,tutorials & H@cks(striclty For PSP Fans Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 6:43pm On Oct 10, 2008
THE KNIGHT

The Knight is the ultimate martial artist of the chess board. It's tricky movement makes it a devastating weapon to an unsuspecting opponent. The piece resembles a familiar animal, but it should not be referred to as a "horse," or "horsie." The knight is the only piece that can jump over other pieces and moves in an tricky "L" shape. Its movement is one of the hardest for opponents to deal with because of its ability to attack in so many directions (at close range). To illustrate, look at the two diagrams below.

You may notice that the black knight on e4 can reach eight squares (c3, c5, d2, d6, f2, f6, g3, g5) The black knight can reach these squares in a combination of "2 and 1" or "1 and 2" movements. This means 2 squares horizontally or vertically and then 1 square to form a right angle, or 1 square horizontally or vertically and then 2 squares to make a right angle. This movement makes the famous "L" shape.

Best positioning of Knight

The knight has more power when placed toward the center of the board. In Diagram #2 above, the black knight on e4 can reach eight squares while the white knight on h7 can only reach 3. Remember, "knight on the rim is grim." In terms of capturing, the black knight is attacking pawns on f2, g3, c5. It is also attacking the white queen on c3 and the white rook on d2 thus "forking" the two pieces. When capturing, the knight does not capture pieces in its path… only on the square on which it lands.

The "dream position" for the knight is the opponent's sixth rank supported by one or two pawns. In the diagrams below, both knights have taken up dominating positions on the opponent's sixth rank… the white knight on d6 and the black knight on d3. This position of the knight disrupts the flow of the enemy's pieces while attacking the maximum amount of squares.

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 6:46pm On Oct 10, 2008
THE BISHOP

The Bishop is likened to a laser… it slices across the board cutting through everything in it's path. Each Bishop stays on the diagonal color of its origin and combined can control every square on the board. As you develop more knowledge of the game, you become more familiar with the power of two coordinated Bishops.

The Bishop on the d5 square reaches all sides of the board along the h1-a8 and a2-g8 diagonal. In Diagram #2 the Bishop can move as far as there is nothing in it's path. If there is an enemy piece in the Bishop's path, then it has the option of capturing it. Those black pieces marked in red can be captured by removing the selected black piece and replacing it with the white Bishop.

Best positioning of Bishop

Bishops are often used as weapons for attacks on the King because of their long range power and the ease at which they are able to free themselves. In Diagram #3, the Bishop on g7 has been placed on one of the longest diagonals and cuts the board like a laser beam. This is called the "fianchettoed" Bishop and is demonstrated in Diagram #3. Perhaps the "dream position" for Bishops is when they are on adjacent diagonals exerting tremendous power on enemy positions. The white Bishops in Diagram #4 are said to be "raking" the board.

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by RichyBlacK(m): 6:49pm On Oct 10, 2008
@chessguru,

Can you recommend ONE good chess software? I'm looking for something very strong but with a good teaching mode. I'm looking at:
1. Chessmaster
2. Deep Fritz or the strongest commercially available Fritz
3. Rebel
etc.

Any pieces of advice or suggestions?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 6:50pm On Oct 10, 2008
THE QUEEN (FIRST LADY)

The[b] Queen [/b] is the[b] most powerful piece [/b] in the chess army. She combines the power of both the Rook (straight lines) and the Bishop (diagonals) as illustrated in Diagram #1. The Queen can reach a maximum of 27 squares in all directions. Imagine a long-range weapon being able to fire accurately in all directions!

While the Queen can bring destruction to an enemy position, she is also to be protected. In the open board the queen is powerful, but in crowded positions, she can be assaulted and even trapped by lesser pieces. When capturing an enemy piece, the Queen captures the piece by moving the piece and taking control of the square. In Diagram #2, you can see the power of a centralized Queen and it far-reaching abilities

Best positioning of Queen

The Queen's power is clearly realized in open positions, and because of its scope, it is always a threat to inflict serious damage on the opponent's position. One caution is do not to abuse the power of the Queen by moving it within the first 4-5 moves. Develop your minor pieces (Knights, Bishops and Rooks) first! Quick checkmates rarely work and will leave your Queen dangerously exposed. There are many traps lurking at the hands of minor pieces which can often gang up on the Queen. Three or four well-coordinated minor pieces can easily overpower a Queen. So be careful with the Queen!

Some of the best positions for the Queen are those that support or strengthen the minor pieces. This is called a "battery" just like someone battering the door down. In Diagram #3, you see the Queen can conduct a battery by supporting the Bishop and the doubled Rooks in an attack on the f7-square by moving to the f1-square. The Queen is sometimes better placed behind the minor pieces. A more devastating battery would occur if white moved its Queen to the a1-square attacking the defenseless g7-square. In Diagram #4, this well-known position demonstrates the Queen working with the knight on g4 to form a devastating battery on the white King. A battery is one of the first tactical themes learned by most beginners.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 7:02pm On Oct 10, 2008
RichyBlacK:

@chessguru,

Can you recommend ONE good chess software? I'm looking for something very strong but with a good teaching mode. I'm looking at:
1. Chessmaster
2. Deep Fritz or the strongest commercially available Fritz
3. Rebel
etc.

Any pieces of advice or suggestions?
I don't HAVE OR USE SOFTWARE TO PLAY I PREFER TO PLAY ON LINE WITH HUMAN MASTERS,  COMPUTER CHESS TO ME IS WEAK I HATE AND CANNOT USE MY MONEY TO BUY THEM.BUT IF YOU LIKE IT  BUT I HEAR FRITZ IS THE BEST!!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by vescucci(m): 1:20pm On Oct 13, 2008
It's really your world dude!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 9:22pm On Oct 13, 2008
vescucci:

It's really your world dude!
yeah man, its my little world!! and like NIKE i have the pass mark!!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Gamine(f): 8:00pm On Oct 14, 2008
Hey Chessguru.

Nawa o, i didnt know this game was a dangerous one until my friend got shot
because of a chess tournament.
Please how safe are these tournaments in Nigeria.

A friend of mine, who i used to play with in school, left my school for the UK

he got involved in chess as usual and entered for a tournament.

Only for him to get to the finals and some people tell him to lose

he thought they were joking and when he won, he got shot twice.

Luckily he survived and his parents took him out of the UK to Ukraine, sharply

he is schooling there now.

i just wonder if such stuffz happen in Nigeria too, its scary mehn!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Shaz(f): 8:01pm On Oct 14, 2008
Gamine:

Hey Chessguru.

Wow. . that's serious. Well, a game is a game anywhere. It could happen everywhere.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 12:37am On Oct 15, 2008
Gamine:

Hey Chessguru.

i have been playing in tounaments in nigeria for more than 10 years, havnt heard about any major violence, chess is a gentleman's  game, the kings game is a noble game, people get shot in uk simply by wearing obama T-shirt it happened last week,

@shaz
   i sent you several reports on someone using a legitimate persons name /impersonating on nairaland board, and no action taken by you to remedy the situation or toi address the matter as the moderator on that board i wish i have your email addy!!

@ post meanwhile the world chess championship match between kramnik and anand has stated, posts later!!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Shaz(f): 4:20pm On Oct 15, 2008
@Chessguru,
I got it. Thanks. But no matter how many times you send it, there'll be only one reply. I'm still pondering on the thread. Thanks for the reminder.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 7:57pm On Oct 15, 2008
Shaz:

@Chessguru,
I got it. Thanks. But no matter how many times you send it, there'll be only one reply. I'm still pondering on the thread. Thanks for the reminder.

the matter is a bit complicated and i would prefer a situation where i will send a detailed gist to you and direct you to the official websites to make certain confirmation, MY EMAIL ADDY IS CHESSMAFIADON@YAHOO.CO.UK  where do i send my mail to?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Tgirl4real(f): 2:59pm On Oct 16, 2008
I really love this game. But i have lost the touch. I wish i could get someone to train with all over again sad
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Gamine(f): 7:04pm On Oct 16, 2008
@Chessguru

With the level of corruption in Nigeria

You are telling me these games are never rigged.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 9:15pm On Oct 16, 2008
Gamine:

@Chessguru

With the level of corruption in Nigeria

You are telling me these games are never rigged.
how do you mean, rigged? by who and for who? with the risk of blowing my own trumpet, i am not a chess master i am a master of chess, my chess prowess can only be equaled with the depth of analysis of deep blue the genius of Garry Kasparov, the speed of vishy Anand, and when i play physically you sometimes see fire on the board, when i sac a piece because i have penetrated the inner chess shrine!!

@Tgirl4real
I can fire you up in the game,

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Gamine(f): 11:22am On Oct 17, 2008
Aah, you have blown ya trumpet loud enough undecided undecided

thanks
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Tgirl4real(f): 8:18am On Oct 18, 2008
@Chessguru,

I would really love dat. But I will we get going. The tutorials u posted are quite long . . . Av really become rusty. It's been years since i played last. I guess i can still remember d basics.

Loking forward to resuming for real.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Moyola(f): 8:29am On Oct 18, 2008
na so diz guuy luvv chess so!! shocked
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Tgirl4real(f): 10:44am On Oct 18, 2008
Na so o. Me sef love am grin
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 8:44pm On Oct 18, 2008
@Tgirl4real
if you want to be good at chess, we can work on that, have you read @how life imitates chess@ by kasparov?
@ moyola
Chess is my mother tongue, meanwhile i have a few gist to lien up this thred, check this out!!

Obama Plays Chess Against McCain[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 11:21pm On Oct 19, 2008
CHESS KAMASUTRA According to 'GM 'Odion Aikhoje

Chess talk - Kama Sutra style…
Escrito por odirov Sin comentarios »
Two Chess players are doing a postmortem analysis of a game from the previous round in some event. Player 1 won a very difficult game against Player X (a female player) and Player 2 is asking how the position was won.

Player 2: you know, that was an incredibly difficult position, very tight.

Player 1: ah well…, I had to use all my experience in maneuvering round the board.

Player 2: please tell me; how were you able to penetrate her position?

Player 1: wasn’t easy, I tell you. After some preliminary thrusts and feints I eventually had to circumvent and enter from the rear.
Player 2: hmm…, sounds exciting. Must try out your techniques sometime you got a MATING POSITION

Player 1: experience is the key my boy, It’s not easy to be a Master.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 10:24pm On Oct 23, 2008
For those asking for chess books, you can check out "Bobby Fischer teaches chess" He wrote the book with some people. The book's quite nice.
If you want to be a good player,you need materials.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:18am On Oct 24, 2008
Chess is a great game. I wish I could rekindle the passion I once had for it!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 10:50am On Oct 24, 2008
for those who might be interested in the game between the two world "chess engines" Anand and Kramnik,
you can get the games played, yet to be played fixtures on:
http://chessaleeinlondon./2008/10/14/anand-vs-kramnik-2008/
its a good blog site with every detail and the moves!

by the way, i just played their first game on my mat and feel i would have played differently if i were the one!
Does anyone feel me?
A friend of mine once said the GMs play on 64 squares just like us so what makes them special lol.
I hope to get more serious in this i swear, i have developed the interest again!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 8:51pm On Oct 24, 2008
@cool
the GMs are different from "mere mortals" ie non GMs for example odion of fola akintola plays on 64 players just like you and your friend, but follow them enter masters category and know the same reason why kano pillar had to lose 5-0 to pothmoth in spite of the face that they both have 11 players and both have the tag premiership, chess hard no be small, even among GMs we have those that call themselve SUPER GMs the world number one Topalov ,morozevich, ivanchuk,carlsen,anand,kramnik, and if odion should face any of this super GMs, murder will often be the case!![b][/b]
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 9:31pm On Oct 24, 2008
i dont agree with you my guy, chess is not like football. i think intimidation is what this game is about!
the fact that you are playing a GM makes you play rubbish cos how do you explain the first game they played? i want you to check it, i think there should have been a win but they halfed the game!
i will load all the games so far now here:

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 9:41pm On Oct 24, 2008
the games

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 9:43pm On Oct 24, 2008
and

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 9:50pm On Oct 24, 2008
i hope chess lovers will find this helpful and interesting.

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 10:00pm On Oct 24, 2008
@ cool
   my guy, i will not be part of this blasphemy, against super Gms  it is a different ball game up there my friend, it is not about intimidation it is about  they see it and you cannot see it, it is like opon ifa (devinition board)  to them those who have penetrated the inner chess shrine need not intimidate you before tearing you apart, can you survive against the likes of chikwere onyekwere yet when chi chi met GM Gata Kamsky then world number 16 he played his best with no fear but Kamsky won, my guy even in Lagos how often do outsiders enter masters category and just succeed like that, you are talking about not just Gms but super GMs and questioning their agreeing to a draw, they do agree to a draw even on move 10 sometimes, a GM is a GM    and a Fish is a Fish!!

make odion /fola/small b/cambel/bunmi olape go challenge them anand even if them smoke weed carry all the confidence for this life, they will be consumed, do you check chess olympiad games self, where GMs play non GMs. if odion picks a draw against a GM na celebration till infinity,
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 10:48am On Oct 25, 2008
looks to me like before playing a GM you already have agreed that you LOST!
my own game is not like that man,
The GM will demonstrate his win!

I agree sometimes they agree to a draw when a game just started,
they are sure super,
but my friend, I can not be intimidated in this game!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 8:31pm On Oct 25, 2008
cooldud62*:

looks to me like before playing a GM you already have agreed that you LOST!
my own game is not like that man,
The GM will demonstrate his win!

I agree sometimes they agree to a draw when a game just started,
they are sure super,
but my friend, I can not be intimidated in this game!

my statement is in no way defeatist, it appears you are completely extremely ignorant of what it takes to be a GM not to talk about a SUPER GM like kramnik and Anand even an ordinary Gm like maurice ashley (no disrespect to the first black Gm) needs not be intimidated before being consumed by a super Gm , enter lagos first with all the courage you can muster face the likes of our own
Charles Campbell,I'm Odion Aikhoje,Adebayo Adegboyega ,Bomo Kighigha, that is if you even have the chance to play them after being battered by blood hungry fishy category one players and fish masters like Amosu Akeem, e t c  and all this guys are no where near the Average GM not to talk of super Gms like kramnik and Anand, anyhow, Fish wey never see Hot water go think say na the same with fresh water for stream, by the time I'm take courage enter, its too late, the question is not wether you are intimidated or not, a fish cannot rely on just courage and will power in NBL lagos to win in masters not to talk of contemplating a game against a GM,

CHECK OUT EXIBITION GAMES WHERE A GM WILL PLAY UP TO 200 PLAYERS AT THE SAME TIME, OR A GM PLAYING EXIBITION BLIND FOLD CHESS (WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE BOARD BUT ANALYSING ALL IN HIS HEAD) AGAINST MORE THAN 50 PLAYERS,NOT THAT YOU can't PLAY AGAINST ANYBODY BUT IT IS GOING TO BE BY IMPROVING YOUR CHESS AND PAYING THE PRICE NOT BY UNEDUCATED COURAGE, YOU MUST PAY THE RIGHT PRICE AND LEARN THE GAME FUNDAMENTALS ,afterall Sergey Karjakin then forteen 14 year old  defeated kramnik but he was already a Gm at 12 and he has paid the price to do that not by just saying he cant be intimidated, he has paid the price in studying ,practice and playing countless games against strong players,  i rest my case

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply)

Efootball PES 2024 PPSSPP Android Game Download / Pls Help Me On How I Can Install PES 2013 On My Computer. / How To Use Cheats On Android PPSSPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.