Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing - Properties (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing (156801 Views)

Hardwood For House Roofing 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x6, 1x12, 3x4 call 08182481552 / How To Calculate Materials For Concrete In Raft Foundation / How To Calculate The Price of a C of O and Governor's Consent In Lagos Yourself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 15, 2020
HsLBroker:
A home is gotten when you look for comfort based on your fantasy, but a shelter is a necessity, and a building becomes a shelter when it can prevent rain,water,sun, strong wind and other climatic elements from affecting the occupants- human,animal, living and dead loads with personal effects.

As far as I am concerned the moment you have your roof placed on a building, other things are important but they are basically needs. You can’t move into a house without a roof , but we have seen people living in a house with no window or makeshifts windows covered with ordinary bags and cardboards.

So it is very important to calculate the dimension of the true length of a roof members. These dimensions are essential to determine the accurate span of Rafter, Wall plate, Tie beam, King Post, Overhang, Purlins, fan struts etc.

Residential timber-framing construction clearly differentiate between spacing and span Spacing the centre-to-centre distance between structural members, unless otherwise indicated.

Span the face-to-face distance between points capable of giving full support to structural members or assemblies. In particular, rafter spans are measured as the distance between points of support along the length of the rafter and not as the horizontal projection of this distance.

Single span the span of a member supported at or near both ends with no intermediate supports.

Continuous span the term applied to members supported at or near both ends and at one or more intermediate points such that no span is greater than twice another.

Span/length calculation for roof members.

As can be seen the span of the rafter in the figure below is not quite in agreement with the Code but we will use the figures for the rafter span as calculated below.

Wood/ timber are sawn into various sizes amongst are

2” by 2” i.e 50mm by 50mm

2” by 3” i.e 50mm by 75mm

2” by 4” i.e 50mm by 100mm

2” by 6” i.e 50mm by 150mm

3” by 4” i.e 75mm by 100mm

3” by 6” i.e 75mm by 150mm
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 16, 2020
HsLBroker:
4 your construction call WhatsApp 08182481552
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 12:05am On Mar 17, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 22, 2020
[quote author=HsLBroker post=87480741][/quote]....
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 22, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 7:30am On Mar 26, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 2:34pm On Mar 28, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 10:35pm On Mar 28, 2020
HsLBroker:
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 3:14pm On Apr 01, 2020
still available
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by oladforever: 4:11pm On Apr 01, 2020
HAVE YOUR BUSINESS PROPOSAL/FEASIBILITY REPORT DELIVER TO YOU WITHIN 48 HOURS WITH FREE CASH FLOW PROJECTION AND FUNDING TIPS AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE.
Do you want to expand your business, be more competitive in your industry or achieve certain goals?
If you answered “YES” to any of the above, you need a business plan! Whether you've just started out or been running for years, business planning can be the key to your success.
Developing and articulating a good business plan/proposal makes your business ideal to have a focus, direction, defines your objectives and maps out strategies to achieve your goals. It helps you know upfront about you capability of running such business, highlighting all the requirements and projected profit/income streams at a glance. A business plan is a living guide that every business should develop as the business grows and changes. Successful businesses review and update their business plan when circumstances change. A business plan thus assist in seeking finance for your business either through banks or investors, showing them why they should invest in your business.
Why don’t you contact us today at DOLAPATH GLOBAL SERVICES for you detailed BUSINESS PLAN or BUSINESS REVIEW.
We will help you develop/review your business plan that will help you comfortably start your business idea and/ or expand your existing business while exceeding your expectations.
We’ve had previous success stories in the following business areas:

Cassava Tuber Farming And Production
Cassava Starch And Flour Production
Plastic Production
Plastic & Aluminium Tin Can Recycling
Soap Production
Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil Production
Tissue Paper Production And Packaging
Jumbo Reels Production
Dry Cleaning Services
Pharmaceutical Drug Production
Pure & Table Water Production
Bread And Pastries Production
Printing / Advertising Services
Block Production
Juice Production
Snail Farming
Cat-Fish Production. E.T.C.
Why don’t you reach us today and be a part of our many success stories.
Principal Consultant: Olusegun Oladeyi
You can reach us via:
Email: dolapathglobal@gmail.com
Twitter: @Segzyyy
Call/Watsapp: 08067627940.

Thank you.
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 10:39am On Apr 16, 2020
[quote author=HsLBroker post=87772438][/quote]
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 4:34pm On Apr 19, 2020
HsLBroker:
4 your construction call or WhatsApp 08182481552
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 7:07am On Apr 24, 2020
HsLBroker:
With the diagram above applying Pythagoras theorem

X2 (rafter length )=4.52+3.52

X=5.7m

Rafters are nailed side by side tie beam and struts. So we use the numbers of pieces of tie beams because they are also spaced at 1.2m center to center and multiply by 5.7m

15 pcs of rafter (same as tie beam) multiply by 5.7 =85.5m

Now divide by 3.6m to know the numbers of 3” by 4” to purchase in market=24 pcs of 3” by 4” required for rafters.

PURLINS are the wood of 2” by 2” or 50mm by 50mm we nail the roofing sheets on.

Purlins are spaced based on designs or type of roofing sheets. But for our calculations, we are using 900mm spacings.

Going by diagram above add 5.7m +5.7m for both sides=11.4m

Divide 11.4m by 0.9m to know the numbers required =13 pcs of purlins of length 18.175m (The purlins has to span the length of the building which is 16.975 plus 1.2m for the overhangs by sides)

So 13 by 18.175m=236m

Now divide by 3.6m to know the numbers requires to purchase in market =236/3.6

=66 pieces of 2” by 2” to purchase in market for the purlins.

KINGPOST is that piece of wood that stands at the middle of two rafters falling at the opposing sides. Is the one that spans vertically from the tie beam/rafter line, so just the same way we calculated for rafter, remember 15 pieces and multiply by the height of the roof 3.5m=52.5m

Then divide by 3.6m to know the numbers to buy in the market.

Therefore 15 pieces of wood of 2″ by 6″ termed kingpost is needed to be bought in the market.

Credits of this Articles goes to:
http://buildingcontractorsecrets.com/2012/12/how-to-calculate-timber-roof-members/

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 7:41am On Apr 27, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 6:52pm On Apr 28, 2020
[quote author=HsLBroker post=87463068][/quote]
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 1:46pm On Apr 30, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:34am On May 01, 2020
Happy new month everyone
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 9:16am On May 02, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 03, 2020
[quote author=HsLBroker post=87463068][/quote]
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 3:32pm On May 03, 2020
HsLBroker:
4 your construction call WhatsApp 08182481552
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 7:30am On May 04, 2020
HsLBroker:
still available
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 5:19pm On May 18, 2020
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:48am On May 19, 2020
HsLBroker:
A home is gotten when you look for comfort based on your fantasy, but a shelter is a necessity, and a building becomes a shelter when it can prevent rain,water,sun, strong wind and other climatic elements from affecting the occupants- human,animal, living and dead loads with personal effects.

As far as I am concerned the moment you have your roof placed on a building, other things are important but they are basically needs. You can’t move into a house without a roof , but we have seen people living in a house with no window or makeshifts windows covered with ordinary bags and cardboards.

So it is very important to calculate the dimension of the true length of a roof members. These dimensions are essential to determine the accurate span of Rafter, Wall plate, Tie beam, King Post, Overhang, Purlins, fan struts etc.

Residential timber-framing construction clearly differentiate between spacing and span Spacing the centre-to-centre distance between structural members, unless otherwise indicated.

Span the face-to-face distance between points capable of giving full support to structural members or assemblies. In particular, rafter spans are measured as the distance between points of support along the length of the rafter and not as the horizontal projection of this distance.

Single span the span of a member supported at or near both ends with no intermediate supports.

Continuous span the term applied to members supported at or near both ends and at one or more intermediate points such that no span is greater than twice another.

Span/length calculation for roof members.

As can be seen the span of the rafter in the figure below is not quite in agreement with the Code but we will use the figures for the rafter span as calculated below.

Wood/ timber are sawn into various sizes amongst are

2” by 2” i.e 50mm by 50mm

2” by 3” i.e 50mm by 75mm

2” by 4” i.e 50mm by 100mm

2” by 6” i.e 50mm by 150mm

3” by 4” i.e 75mm by 100mm

3” by 6” i.e 75mm by 150mm
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 19, 2020
[quote author=HsLBroker post=87480741][/quote]
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:02am On May 20, 2020
HsLBroker:
4 your construction call or WhatsApp 08182481552
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 3:08am On May 21, 2020
[quote author=HsLBroker post=87480741][/quote]
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Bodlade(m): 1:37pm On Jun 18, 2020
Call Impact Quality Blocks for your construction blocks & cement supply within and around Redeem camp & we’ll deliver to your site.
08020535537, 08077257811.

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Riscoded(m): 6:58pm On Jun 18, 2020
HsLBroker:
Thanks for your interest, i used akun for the 3x4x12 (wall plate) @ N800, same for the 2x4x12 @ N500 for the (king post and Tie beam) Also used Akun for the 2x3x12 for the ( the purlin) @ N400, I used Ire and Ogborugboru for the Ceiling Nogging 2x2x12 @ N300 but i don't used Akun for the 2x2x12 because some of them will break when using 3inches nails on it and may cause problem for the ceiling sheets when attaching it. Akun for the 1x 10 x 12 @ N1700 plus smoothing (the facial board)

What's current price for wood now?
Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 8:37am On Jun 19, 2020
Riscoded:

What's current price for wood now?

2x2@N400
2x3@N500
2x4@N600
2x6@N900
3x4@N850
1x12@N1, 800

1 Like

Re: How To Calculate Hardwood Needed For Your House Roofing by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jun 19, 2020
[quote author=HsLBroker post=89782899][/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply)

Cost Of Building A 5 Bedroom Bungalow In Benin-city. / New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture (construction Of 4 Bedroom Twin Duplex) / Mansions In Nigeria (pics) - You Can Post More Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.