Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,234 members, 7,807,785 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th (1664 Views)

Jonathan Was Inexperienced, Not Incompetent - Babangida / Asset Declaration: Buhari Is Not All That Clueless After All. / That Clueless Region (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Joel3(m): 9:33pm On Jun 27, 2014
is nairaland administrator that clueless or incompetent? History shows last backup was jan 10th .

Can you believe that? Over 6 month no backup was made. For a site like nairaland that housing over one million subscribers?

This must be joke.

username mentioning alert are all gone.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Joel3(m): 9:41pm On Jun 27, 2014
I have been receiving rounddom sms telling me I ve won N500,000 on the NNPC Oil Company on going lottery scheme. From tuesday and wednesday. This might be the security bridge of data change hands.
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by newpaparazzi(m): 9:42pm On Jun 27, 2014
Joel.:
is nairaland administrator that clueless or incompetent? History shows last backup was jan 10th .

Can you believe that? Over 6 month no backup was made. For a site like nairaland that housing over one million subscribers?

This must be joke.

username mentioning alert are all gone.
Havnt you been informed that the site was attacked by hackers recently and it was not online for days. Seun is just trying to bring it back online after losing so much data.
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by ggrin(f): 9:43pm On Jun 27, 2014
Oga gan ni....got affected by it
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Joel3(m): 9:45pm On Jun 27, 2014
new paparazzi: Have you not be informed that the site was attacked by hackers recently and it was not online for days. Seun is just trying to bring it back online after losing so much data.
oh for such carelessness for not backing up data is such a deferent thing from been hacked.
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jun 27, 2014
Joel.:
I have been receiving rounddom sms telling me I ve won N500,000 on the NNPC Oil Company on going lottery scheme. From tuesday and wednesday. This might be the security bridge of data change hands.

gbagaunnn
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Ngwakwe: 10:17pm On Jun 27, 2014
Joel.:
oh for such carelessness for not backing up data is such a deferent thing from been hacked.

There are two ways of backing up data in this instance.

1. You can backup remotely and in this case, it is stored in a folder in your host's web disk.

2. You can backup locally and in this case you download the database straight to your local disk.

Now consider the following
1. The size of Nairaland database is in Gigabytes.

2. The ineffectiveness of Nigerian Network/Data Service providers that makes it virtually impossible to download 3 Gigabyte or more without interruption.

3. Now, Seun managed to backup the files on daily and sometimes weekly bases stored remotely on the host's web disk with full assurance that even when the database is corrupted by hackers that the backups will be handy for restoration and reconfiguration but alas the hackers were able to virtually format the web disk containing the remotely backed up files and databases.

There are certain unforeseen and had-I-know failures from the hosting company that contributed to this embarrassing setback and monumental sabotage.

All the blames are not to be laid on Seun Osewa.

I hope you understand.

10 Likes

Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Joel3(m): 10:22pm On Jun 27, 2014
that means nairaland is no longer meant to be trusted for data issues. This stigma and fear will always remain in the mind of people. All data gone just like that. Why can't nairaland makes back up every week?

everybody informations have been collected by the hackers. Well nairaland tried at least it took so long to be hacked. The bad news is that nairaland is vulnerable to more hacking. The fact the site was hacked,

means it can be hacked easily again.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:31pm On Jun 27, 2014
Ngwakwe, my mention doestn't function. What do I do?
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by pimplucious: 10:33pm On Jun 27, 2014
new paparazzi: Have you not be informed that the site was attacked by hackers recently and it was not online for days. Seun is just trying to bring it back online after losing so much data.

This just goes to show that there have not been a regular back up of data in NL.

To put it in a clearer perspective, data backup is supposed to be carried out on a daily basis to guide against events like this which is not very uncommon in this computer age.

Just imagine how much in monetary terms and how distressed its customers would have been if NL was a bank with more than a million customers. This is cheer carelessness!

4 Likes

Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Ngwakwe: 10:35pm On Jun 27, 2014
Orlando Owoh: Ngwakwe, my mention doestn't function. What do I do?

How do you know it's not functioning?

I have just quoted you. Check your mention and report back
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:56pm On Jun 27, 2014
Ngwakwe:

How do you know it's not functioning?

I have just quoted you. Check your mention and report back
If I'm quoted, there won't be any number on my MT botton indicating I'm quoted, I only get to know when I click at the botton. Please, help me.
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by idumuose(m): 11:05pm On Jun 27, 2014
Na wao.
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Joel3(m): 11:19pm On Jun 27, 2014
Orlando Owoh:
If I'm quoted, there won't be any number on my MT botton indicating I'm quoted, I only get to know when I click at the botton. Please, help me.
the function doesn't work anymore.
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Abbott(m): 12:02am On Jun 28, 2014
What is all the unnecessary panic for? The site is being worked on...when the site is fixed, you will be informed, give yourself a rest and do more productive things with your time.

1 Like

Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by joeace2020(m): 12:50am On Jun 28, 2014
Ngwakwe:

There are two ways of backing up data in this instance.

1. You can backup remotely and in this case, it is stored in a folder in your host's web disk.

2. You can backup locally and in this case you download the database straight to your local disk.

Now consider the following
1. The size of Nairaland database is in Gigabytes.

2. The ineffectiveness of Nigerian Network/Data Service providers that makes it virtually impossible to download 3 Gigabyte or more without interruption.

3. Now, Seun managed to backup the files on daily and sometimes weekly bases stored remotely on the host's web disk with full assurance that even when the database is corrupted by hackers that the backups will be handy for restoration and reconfiguration but alas the hackers were able to virtually format the web disk containing the remotely backed up files and databases.

There are certain unforeseen and had-I-know failures from the hosting company that contributed to this embarrassing setback and monumental sabotage.

All the blames are not to be laid on Seun Osewa.

I hope you understand.

Really, is it not funny albeit insulting that you are now the mouth piece of the owner?

Would it have hurt Mr Seun, if he simply opened a thread with these explanation so we can all at the very least have an idea of what happened instead of feeling like we are being taken for granted by him. I find it totally disgusting that i had to get an explanation like this here.

And please an excuse of 'he was so busy restoring files' will not be tolerated because if he could get NL running back, he could spend a few minutes to explain what happened. it would not kill him since he can't even stand up to us for 5 seconds. What a leader! A reflection of the society he comes from.

1 Like

Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:05am On Jun 28, 2014
Joel.:
the function doesn't work anymore.
Even before NL was attacked, mine was not functioning. I want to believe it is peculiar to me.
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Yoritshekiri: 5:54am On Jun 28, 2014
Orlando Owoh:
Even before NL was attacked, mine was not functioning. I want to believe it is peculiar to me.
Mine is working perfectly
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by oweniwe(m): 7:37am On Jun 28, 2014
joeace2020:

Really, is it not funny albeit insulting that you are now the mouth piece of the owner?

Would it have hurt Mr Seun, if he simply opened a thread with these explanation so we can all at the very least have an idea of what happened instead of feeling like we are being taken for granted by him. I find it totally disgusting that i had to get an explanation like this here.

And please an excuse of 'he was so busy restoring files' will not be tolerated because if he could get NL running back, he could spend a few minutes to explain what happened. it would not kill him since he can't even stand up to us for 5 seconds. What a leader! A reflection of the society he comes from.
arm chair critic. . You think it is so simple to back up and manage archives? Why not go and set up your own forum/organization?

Ewu jambito

2 Likes

Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:01am On Jun 28, 2014
Yoritshekiri:
Mine is working perfectly
Onye ju gi ajuju?
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Howmanage: 8:07am On Jun 28, 2014
Orlando Owoh:
Onye ju gi ajuju?
. I'm confused. I thought these 2 were the same person
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:01am On Jun 28, 2014
Howmanage: . I'm confused. I thought these 2 were the same person
Somebody stole it.
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by MrRenaissance: 10:31am On Jun 28, 2014
Orlando Owoh:
I've the same problem too. I guess it's because there's a 'space' in our monikers. Seun needs to address this because I don't get my mentions unless I click on it. angry
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:34am On Jun 28, 2014
Mr Renaissance: I've the same problem too. I guess it's because there's a 'space' in our monikers. Seun needs to address this because I don't get my mentions unless I click on it. angry
He really needs to.
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Joel3(m): 12:42pm On Jun 28, 2014
now i see why i dont get pm alart. Someone is using like my moniker.
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Howmanage: 4:22pm On Jun 28, 2014
Orlando Owoh:
Somebody stole it.
ah.... Sorry o. I was about following it. Thank God i did not
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Joel3(m): 6:53pm On Jun 29, 2014
Howmanage: ah.... Sorry o. I was about following it. Thank God i did not
um
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by vedd: 7:26pm On Jun 29, 2014
The disappeared and banned monikers have all resurfaced grin

I hope they dont get sent back to the abyss. I can see a mod already sticking his head out.

Means Cramjones will be fully active.
But the new ones from Jan. 10 have all gone.
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by lanrefront1(m): 7:41am On Jun 30, 2014
It seems to me Seun is not willing to spend good money on the maintenance of Nairaland, a site which brings in so much, and has the potential to bring in so much more.

For instance, it seems all moderators on Nairaland are volunteers. If some personnel are actually paid to run Nairaland, I'm sure we will have better moderating.
Re: Is Nl Admin That Clueless Or Incompetent? History Shows Last Backup Jan 10th by Seun(m): 11:12am On Jun 30, 2014
I will address this issue in my upcoming speech to Nairaland members.

(1)

BREAKING!: Police Van Chase Okada Rider & His Passengers To Their Deaths / Chibok Girl"s Parents Shuns Meeting With President Goodluck Jonathan. / As Jonathan Comes To America Next Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.