Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,052 members, 7,807,162 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:32 AM

How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes (11613 Views)

Why You Should Be Really Worried If Your Are Not Making Mistakes / Unless You Know Your Mistakes Of 2014, You Are Likely To Repeat Them In 2015 / Who can identify and Name This Ancient Piece????? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by argon500: 12:39pm On Jun 28, 2014
“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” - Albert Einstein

It's never easy to admit you've made a mistake, but it's a crucial step in learning, growing, and improving yourself.Many of us — though more likely most of us — fear making mistakes. And it makes sense. We live in a mistake-phobic society, according to clinical psychologist Wendy Mogel, Ph.D.

The most important life lessons we will ever learn will be from the bad decisions we make. Time and experience can be excellent teachers when you actually learn a lesson from your poor decisions. Experience comes from our way of living, understanding and the adjustments we make. It also comes from suffering, agony and the ordeals we are afflicted by.

You can only learn from a mistake after you admit you've made it. As soon as you start blaming other people (or the universe itself), you distance yourself from any possible lesson. But if you courageously stand up and honestly say "This is my mistake and I am responsible" the possibilities for learning will move towards you. Admission of a mistake, even if only privately to yourself, makes learning possible by moving the focus away from blame assignment and towards understanding. Wise people admit their mistakes easily. They know progress accelerates when they do.

This advice runs counter to the cultural assumptions we have about mistakes and failure, namely that they are shameful things. We're taught in school, in our families, or at work to feel guilty about failure and to do whatever we can to avoid mistakes. This sense of shame combined with the inevitability of setbacks when attempting difficult things explains why many people give up on their goals: they're not prepared for the mistakes and failures they'll face on their way to what they want. What's missing in many people's beliefs about success is the fact that the more challenging the goal, the more frequent and difficult setbacks will be. The larger your ambitions, the more dependent you will be on your ability to overcome and learn from your mistakes.

But for many reasons admitting mistakes is difficult. An implied value in many cultures is that our work represents us: if you fail a test, then you are a failure. If you make a mistake then you are a mistake (You may never have felt this way, but many people do. It explains the behavior of some of your high school or college friends). Like eggs, steak and other tasty things we are given letter grades (A, B, C, D and F) organizing us for someone else's consumption: universities and employers evaluate young candidates on their grades, numbers based on scores from tests unforgiving to mistakes.
For anyone who never discovers a deeper self-identity, based not on lack of mistakes but on courage, compassionate intelligence, commitment and creativity, life is a scary place made safe only by never getting into trouble, never breaking rules and never taking the risks that their hearts tell them they need to take.

Learning from mistakes requires three things:

* Putting yourself in situations where you can make interesting mistakes
* Having the self-confidence to admit to them
* Being courageous about making changes

We need to learn from our mistakes so that we do not run the risk of repeating them. We must develop the wisdom and sense to make good decisions and choices. Good judgment will only develop if you truly learn from your mistakes. Unfortunately, for many people, it takes a few repeats of the same mistake to learn the lesson.

Good or bad, experiences are what help us learn lessons and form a better sense of judgment. Bad judgment seems to stick with us longer as a lesson learned because we really do not want to keep repeating it. Wisdom is the knowledge you can gain from making mistakes.

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/consultainment

7 Likes

Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Aitee1: 4:03am On Jun 29, 2014
I dnt get it...hw did dis made fp wen no one commented on it

1 Like

Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by mumubynature(m): 4:03am On Jun 29, 2014
error 522.....cloudflare.Commentaire de numero uno

1 Like

Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Jossylard2(m): 4:20am On Jun 29, 2014
'wisdom is the knowledge you can gain from making mistake'........quite on point
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Jossylard2(m): 4:20am On Jun 29, 2014
'wisdom is the knowledge you can gain from making mistakes'........quite on point
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Nobody: 4:26am On Jun 29, 2014
Nobody is above mistake just learn from it and move on with your life.
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Jarchi(m): 4:34am On Jun 29, 2014
U win wen u learn d mistakes in ur failure
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by freshness2020: 5:06am On Jun 29, 2014
Never be afraid in making mistakes, the best way to learn is to learn through making errors (learning the Hardest way). Like Phyno or Olamide will say "No Guts, No Glory"
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Dygeasy(m): 5:14am On Jun 29, 2014
I don't believe in learning by mistake. To me it's _bullshit.

How am I sure I'm gonna get a second chance?

1 Like

Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by englishmart(m): 5:18am On Jun 29, 2014
What if I'm too big to make mistakes?
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Edwardhead(m): 5:24am On Jun 29, 2014
Aitee1: I dnt get it...hw did dis made fp wen no one commented on it
Because It Is Very Long And The Mod Pity The Op

4 Likes

Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by mrprestige(m): 5:34am On Jun 29, 2014
Nice one @ Op. We often refuse to grow cos we are always afraid to fail. A foolish man is he who tried and failed and refused to try again cos of fear of failure..
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by 1k001(m): 5:55am On Jun 29, 2014
Well done OP

You're absolutely right, success and the ability to recognize mistakes go hand in hand

When one is afraid to ere, they hardly ever succeed.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Don't let fear rule you, take some calculated risks and do it quickly so you can fail early and learn valuable lessons.

Also remember you can learn from other peoples mistakes, read books and observe peoples actions and outcomes.

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Nobody: 6:00am On Jun 29, 2014
Aitee1: I dnt get it...hw did dis made fp wen no one commented on it

It got to fp by mistake. So the mod need to learn from this

4 Likes

Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Nobody: 6:02am On Jun 29, 2014
Is this Guy asking people to become less serious in their endeavors in order to make a avoidable mistake ?
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by kavey10(m): 6:15am On Jun 29, 2014
Is learning from other person's experience not a better way to gain wisdom?

I for one, observe & act a lot! I learn from other people's mistake and it has been helpful!

Nice one OP.
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Dannylux: 6:15am On Jun 29, 2014
Nice Essay, Op. Nevertheless, you forgot to point out 'how' we can identify these mistakes. Wisdom comes from experience, unfortunately, many mistake it with knowledge which is 'apriori'.

1 Like

Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by kavey10(m): 6:18am On Jun 29, 2014
Lacomus: Is this Guy asking people to become less serious in their endeavors in order to make a avoidable mistake ?

You got it wrong, read again. What you typed is totally opposite to that of the OP.
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Innodon(m): 6:24am On Jun 29, 2014
noted
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Welrez(m): 7:18am On Jun 29, 2014
I learn from the mistakes of others, because some personal mistakes are uncorrectable... I think it is better.

1 Like

Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by ITbomb(m): 7:22am On Jun 29, 2014
I read a lot, that is how I learn from the mistakes of others
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by codemaster2much: 7:26am On Jun 29, 2014
Thatvisbtrue
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by hollypagan: 8:27am On Jun 29, 2014
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Missmossy(f): 8:33am On Jun 29, 2014
Awesome quotes! I love the one by Albert Einstein.

1 Like

Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Swiftlee(m): 9:54am On Jun 29, 2014
The owner of this plot has intetionally refused to build a house here..keep off!!
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by TrishaP(f): 10:31am On Jun 29, 2014
I'm never afraid of my mistakes, bcus after everything, I learn from it. Guess that's what made me who I am today. Thanks @OP for reminding me this.
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by raziboi(m): 10:55am On Jun 29, 2014
good...
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by simafem(m): 11:57am On Jun 29, 2014
i learn from others, because, i cant live long to make all the mistakes myself.
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jun 29, 2014
englishmart: What if I'm too big to make mistakes?
Mistake has no master, dats why its called Mistake, Mishap... Its a kinda trap anyone can fall into irrespective of age or class.

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by bennynaza(m): 12:51pm On Jun 29, 2014
K
Re: How To Identify And Learn From Your Mistakes by Divsy(f): 3:12pm On Jun 29, 2014
kavey10: Is learning from other person's experience not a better way to gain wisdom?

I for one, observe & act a lot! I learn from other people's mistake and it has been helpful!

Nice one OP.
u wana say u've neva made a mistake?dat everytin u do is always perfect?its nt everytime u get 2 learn frm oda pple's mistake..there must be ones u make urself

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairaland Christmas Picnic Proposal / Nigerian Monarch Driving Buses In New York / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.