Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

Owning A Website May Hurt Your Company - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Owning A Website May Hurt Your Company (623 Views)

Selling Physical Products Online Without Owning A Single Product In Nigeria! / How Can I Make Money Online Without Owning A Single Product Of My Own / Owning A School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Owning A Website May Hurt Your Company by okpismart: 9:31am On Jun 29, 2014
With today's mad rush by every company to get a business website, it is wise to advise companies about the fact that owning a website may be essentially damaging your company's reputation.

Why? How? You may ask

Did you know that if your website is dormant, visitors (that is if you even have any visitors at all) may erroneously believe that your company must have become dormant as well. Maybe that is why the last update on your website is 1 and half years old. Trust me nothing could present you as being unserious with your business as this. Especially if your company is the type that requires frequent update like schools, hotels, religious organizations (like churches), etc.

For example, if you retail clothing and accessories, how do you explain to your potential customers online that the exact products displayed in your store 1 year ago are still the same products that are still in your store today. Don't you think it would be safe to assume that you are no longer in business?
Or What would you expect me to believe you are still in business when I send you an email via the address on your website and I get no response from your company after 1 month. This is very common with Nigerian companies.

What most companies do not understand is that the internet is a very dynamic world and it is either you change and adapt or you die and get forgotten.

In conclusion, I would like to advise companies that if they must own a website, they must be willing to establish a department for managing their online presence or simply outsource that service to a professional web and social media management firm. I would recommend www.ebrandpromotion.com
Re: Owning A Website May Hurt Your Company by Richiy(f): 10:28am On Jun 29, 2014
Of course no company should take the huge step of owning a website if the page content is not updated regularly. This means that they should be able to either create a department to handle the website or outsource.
Otherwise, owning a website would not hurt any company.
Re: Owning A Website May Hurt Your Company by okpismart: 3:23pm On Jul 04, 2014
Richiy: Of course no company should take the huge step of owning a website if the page content is not updated regularly. This means that they should be able to either create a department to handle the website or outsource.
Otherwise, owning a website would not hurt any company.
You are right on point. But unfortunately, more than 90% of Nigerian companies do not do so (estimate is based on my own experience though). They just develop a website and think that is all. They actually think they would be getting loads of traffic and even bigger loads of money. Alas! most are disappointed with the result. So after 1 year of hosting, they allow the website to expire. And that is the end.
Re: Owning A Website May Hurt Your Company by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 04, 2014
na lie shocked

(1) (Reply)

Request For Sisal For Export / Start Ur Bread And Bakery Business With Ease And Start Making Ur Millions / Excellent Tips By Warren Buffet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.